BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Selling Wharton for £22m does 2 things.

1. Covers our £11m FFP deficit for this season, avoiding further sales and a summer transfer embargo.

2. Pretty much covers our FFP permitted losses for next season, meaning we can have a good go at the PL.

We should not be wanking it up the wall on mediocre players in an already lost season. They did tell us this before the season started.

Oh and the Geordies + TV money will pay the bills so Waggott will be a very happy man today.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, philipl said:

From what I understand...

Thursday is probably going to be manic.

Multiple ins and outs currently in the pipeline - mostly loans.

Gally will not get a new deal so we probably said goodbye tonight. Ipswich can go higher if they want to gamble on hanging onto 2nd place.

I am saying manic because there are no done deals and a few chains of X happens if Y and/or Z which is why I am suggesting Thursday. So could easily be crazy behind the scenes with zero transactions completed come Friday morning.

Two completely different scenarios in play depending if someone (Everton but particularly Newcastle looking at you) hits Venkys magic Adam number and I have no idea what it is today. The hearing in March is complicating  mattees. The FA Cup draw gives Newcastle the added need for insurance against Adam dumping them out...

The cash restrictions are really hurting our ability to take a risk and be first movers to break a chain...

Don't think Newcastle are realistic bidders given their own FFP troubles. They need to sell key players themselves so I doubt they will be spending £20M on a teenager

• Like 3

3 hours ago, philipl said:

From what I understand...

I am saying manic because there are no done deals and a few chains of X happens if Y and/or Z which is why I am suggesting Thursday. So could easily be crazy behind the scenes with zero transactions completed come Friday morning.

Two completely different scenarios in play depending if someone (Everton but particularly Newcastle looking at you) hits Venkys magic Adam number and I have no idea what it is today. The hearing in March is complicating  mattees. The FA Cup draw gives Newcastle the added need for insurance against Adam dumping them out...

So in short, we're really busy behind the scenes, but it could result in nothing or something. 

Is that you Nicko?

Apologies for the sarcasm. I fully get things don't always fall into place when work towards transfers is done but aside from those who believe we're not even trying to do anything transfer-wise, I'm not sure what this tells us that isn't known or would be common sense. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Neal said:

To be honest with the exception of some younguns going on loan I can see this being much a do about nothing. 

Im hoping irrespective of outgoings that Nat Phillips (loan) and McGuire (buy) are planned to happen.

If we get them both in terms of bodies and positions that is a good window (2 CB, 1 LB, 1 CM, 1 CF) though none of them are proven except Phillips so we are hoping they show immediate impact, particularly McGuire, rather than expecting it.

If Wharton does go it feels like we won’t have time to really spend any of it either way. hopefully if it happens he stays on loan till summer.

I don’t have much faith that anyone at rovers has deals lined up ready to go for players that cost money. More likely they spent all January lining up potential cheap loans if we got a few quid in.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, booth said:

He scored 15 goals in his last season for Blackpool, which was a poor team and got relegated. As a Rovers player Gallagher has managed a maximum of 9, once.

He's not having a great season according to Swansea fans, yet he's their top goalscorer with 7 so far. Some of them say he doesn't seem to have settled. They want rid.

He's always looked a much better player than Gallagher to me, quicker reactions, getting on the end of crosses and willing to take a crack from outside of the box. I think under JDT, and with Szmodics he'd flourish.

There are some penalties in there though at Blackpool. Take them out and their goal records arent too dissimilar. And I know penalties are still goals but its not a fair comparison unless you take them out.

Yates id still have down as being a more natural goalscorer but Gallagher is more suited to being a lone striker and offers more in general play. I dont think theres much in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverblue said:

If Wharton does go it feels like we won’t have time to really spend any of it either way. hopefully if it happens he stays on loan till summer.

I don’t have much faith that anyone at rovers has deals lined up ready to go for players that cost money. More likely they spent all January lining up potential cheap loans if we got a few quid in.

With Wharton always due to go at some point, theres no excuse not to have targets lined up for a few million to replace him. Although a normal club would know that they could spend that few million, under Venkys we wont.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Don't think Newcastle are realistic bidders given their own FFP troubles. They need to sell key players themselves so I doubt they will be spending £20M on a teenager

Could they do a buy now pay later deal ? Agree £25m let us keep him rest of seasaon and they pau July 1st or something

25 minutes ago, alex l said:

So in short, we're really busy behind the scenes, but it could result in nothing or something. 

Is that you Nicko?

Apologies for the sarcasm. I fully get things don't always fall into place when work towards transfers is done but aside from those who believe we're not even trying to do anything transfer-wise, I'm not sure what this tells us that isn't known or would be common sense. 

Aargh being confused for Nixon

Ok back from my shower.

If nobody at Rovers is showing common sense we will all need to take a shower..

Back into the public domain. 

Scott Wharton talking about two coming in and JDT answering transfer questions without saying "ask Gregg" suggests the club is pretty close to signings.

As for a different comment about Jerry Yates scoring penalties for Blackpool, how many of our recent in game penalties have we missed?

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

Aargh being confused for Nixon

Ok back from my shower.

If nobody at Rovers is showing common sense we will all need to take a shower..

Back into the public domain. 

Scott Wharton talking about two coming in and JDT answering transfer questions without saying "ask Gregg" suggests the club is pretty close to signings.

As for a different comment about Jerry Yates scoring penalties for Blackpool, how many of our recent in game penalties have we missed?

Its an additional very useful skill to be a good penalty taker but you are comparing apples and oranges if you directly compare 2 strikers and their goal records when one has quite a few penalties in there and the other didnt take them.

We dont seem to win many as an aside.

Not to move away too much from your assertion that we might be busy, deals might or might not happen and they might or might not be mainly loans.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its an additional very useful skill to be a good penalty taker but you are comparing apples and oranges if you directly compare 2 strikers and their goal records when one has quite a few penalties in there and the other didnt take them.

We dont seem to win many as an aside.

Not to move away too much from your assertion that we might be busy, deals might or might not happen and they might or might not be mainly loans.

Yeah but Yates played for a team that got relegated and Gally has been playing for a team that's been knocking about the playoffs the last two seasons.You would presume we created more chances than Blackpool.

Gallys injury record needs to be taken into account too he is forever picking up injuries 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AJW said:

Could they do a buy now pay later deal ? Agree £25m let us keep him rest of seasaon and they pau July 1st or something

They could but it seems highly unlikely. Some cash in now appears to be important in the context of the postponed court hearing. I suspect that would rule Newcastle out as they have to sell.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but Yates played for a team that got relegated and Gally has been playing for a team that's been knocking about the playoffs the last two seasons.You would presume we created more chances than Blackpool.

Gallys injury record needs to be taken into account too he is forever picking up injuries 

His injury record is of course a concern, he runs himself into the ground and he is prone to muscular issues. He has played 42, 39, 37 and 34 in the last 4 seasons so its only this one where he has really suffered so the key if he stays is keep

Last season we didnt really create lots of chances ourselves, we were a pragmatic side for much of it. Yates did better with a bigger striker alongside him which he wouldnt have here. I think Yates is a bit more of a natural in terms of sniffing out chances but Gallagher we know can play that lone striker role and offers more in general play.

Maybe we have moved away from him anyway if indeed there was ever any serious interest, if there is truth that we are battling for McGuire. I wouldnt feel comfortable though letting Gallagher go directly in favour of a young MLS striker though as that seems like a gamble.

So, based on the last few weeks, the return of  JRC, Hedges, Gally and Dolan, I would be happy to add Phillips and Yates on loan and sell no one. Maybe loan out Markanday, Leonard, Batty and Gilsenan.

If we sell Gally then do the Maguire deal on top of those above.

If we sell Wharton then I’d hope we’d have £5m to reinvest in this window…🤞🏽

So, I reckon it’s 2-4 in and 4-6 out (including young lads going on loan) in the next few days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His injury record is of course a concern, he runs himself into the ground and he is prone to muscular issues. He has played 42, 39, 37 and 34 in the last 4 seasons so its only this one where he has really suffered so the key if he stays is keep

Last season we didnt really create lots of chances ourselves, we were a pragmatic side for much of it. Yates did better with a bigger striker alongside him which he wouldnt have here. I think Yates is a bit more of a natural in terms of sniffing out chances but Gallagher we know can play that lone striker role and offers more in general play.

Maybe we have moved away from him anyway if indeed there was ever any serious interest, if there is truth that we are battling for McGuire. I wouldnt feel comfortable though letting Gallagher go directly in favour of a young MLS striker though as that seems like a gamble.

Reading between the lines and JDT’s insistence on experience, I think Yates and Phillips are the ones lined up and McGuire is additional if we sell Gally. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Issue with Yates is he always needs to be alongside a target man.

McGuire is 6 ft 1 and pretty powerful. From his videos (always dangerous) does seem though more of a player who likes to run facing goal than a back to goal player though, not sure be can really be described as a target man. Anyone got a view on the type of player he is from watching him?

Target men are a rare breed. Gestede was a superb one, and Danny Graham although he wasnt huge (6ft) or particularly good in the air was great at using his strength and positioning back to goal. Thats probably it in the last 15 years at Rovers.

Most coaches these days are happy to sacrifice ability in the air for someone powerful and mobile. Gallagher and Brereton being two obvious examples from our recent history. I get the impression JDT is of much the same thinking.

I'm saying nothing major will happen there'll just poss be a low key loan or two out/in.

The Rovers/Vs finance men will be desperate to flog Adam and Sam as late as possible for as much as possible so it can't be spent but all that will fall through until summer.

25 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Issue with Yates is he always needs to be alongside a target man.

Could it be that Yates is lined up to replace Ennis as the second striker option and McGuire would replace Gally as the target.

With the three at the back, I’d say SS would thrive in that role Moran played (failed at) last night. 

Pears

Phillips.  Hyam. Wharton

JRC   Sondre.  Wharton.    Hedges

Szmodics

Yates             Gally

Still have Dolan, Brittain, Pickering when fit and Siggy for the wing back roles.

Carter when fit, ORiordan for CB

Buckley when fit, Ayari and Garrett for CM

Still missing a striker even if we keep Ennis and Leonard….?

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Could it be that Yates is lined up to replace Ennis as the second striker option and McGuire would replace Gally as the target.

With the three at the back, I’d say SS would thrive in that role Moran played (failed at) last night. 

Pears

Phillips.  Hyam. Wharton

Szmodics

Yates             Gally

Still have Dolan, Brittain, Pickering when fit and Siggy for the wing back roles.

Sigurdsson showed last night against a League 2 team that he is not and never will be a wing back.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Pears

Phillips.  Hyam. Wharton

Szmodics

Yates             Gally

Gally isn't a target man is he though.

He can't hold up the ball, he has a bad first touch and hes bad in the air?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Selling Wharton for £22m does 2 things.

1. Covers our £11m FFP deficit for this season, avoiding further sales and a summer transfer embargo.

2. Pretty much covers our FFP permitted losses for next season, meaning we can have a good go at the PL.

We should not be wanking it up the wall on mediocre players in an already lost season. They did tell us this before the season started.

Oh and the Geordies + TV money will pay the bills so Waggott will be a very happy man today.

He'd be a happier man if we'd got Newcastle away.

2 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

Sigurdsson showed last night against a League 2 team that he is not and never will be a wing back.

I genuinely think that's only the second time in his life he's ever played there.

Not sure why JDT thinks he's suitable for the role 'cos he's absolutely not.

• Like 2