BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s disappointing to see Eustace being mentioned in the list of possible PNE managerial candidates. I can see why though.

Who do they think they are? 😂

If he goes - maybe we should add Guardiola to our shortlist to replace him

(I realise this isn't quite the same, but you get my point)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Who do they think they are? 😂

If he goes - maybe we should add Guardiola to our shortlist to replace him

(I realise this isn't quite the same, but you get my point)

They’re probably thinking what I’m thinking - “ Who in their right mind would stay at that circus for a minute longer than they need to ? “

• Like 1

Only being fed a pack lies from upstairs would see Eustace side step to Preston where he'd find maybe a solider more honest bunch to work for.

However he'd also find the ficklest chip on shoulder bunch of fans in Lancashire to try and please on similar crowds and small budget. We can be hard to please at times but similar to Brum there are an entire catalogue of reasons why over the last 14 years that would ruin any fanbase.

That lot however have been small but stable, something a lot of their supporters can't come to terms with as a good thing if you know your place.

Still, all he'd have to do is win at Ewood and they'd give him a special trophy and open top parade around Leyland.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Only being fed a pack lies from upstairs would see Eustace side step to Preston where he'd find maybe a solider more honest bunch to work for.

However he'd also find the ficklest chip on shoulder bunch of fans in Lancashire to try and please on similar crowds and small budget. We can be hard to please at times but similar to Brum there are an entire catalogue of reasons why over the last 14 years that would ruin any fanbase.

That lot however have been small but stable, something a lot of their supporters can't come to terms with as a good thing if you know your place.

Still, all he'd have to do is win at Ewood and they'd give him a special trophy and open top parade around Leyland.

Father in law is a nobber. Real chip on his shoulder about Rovers.

I often like to ask him "have you ever seen your team play in the top division?"

He usually responds with some bollocks about Tom Finney. All I can say to that is Sheaaarreeeeerr!!!

• Like 1

Are people beginning to warm to Eustace yet or is he still unfairly perceived as Waggott’s yes man?

On PNE I was rather hoping they'd go for Mowbray if he's got to the other side of his health issues.

That'd keep them in their place for another 4-5 seasons.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Are people beginning to warm to Eustace yet or is he still unfairly perceived as Waggott’s yes man?

On PNE I was rather hoping they'd go for Mowbray if he's got to the other side of his health issues.

I might be mistaken, but last night was the first time I heard the fans singing Eustace's name. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Father in law is a nobber. Real chip on his shoulder about Rovers.

I often like to ask him "have you ever seen your team play in the top division?"

He usually responds with some bollocks about Tom Finney. All I can say to that is Sheaaarreeeeerr!!!

He’s right about Tom Finney. A truly brilliant player and a really nice bloke.

• Like 3

I think he probably had to approach it quite differently last season it was arm around the shoulder stuff to everyone and pandering to players, fans and his overloards.

Seem a lot more bullish this season and it's good to see and hear.

Again he was cast into the flames on here like so many players by a few before hes even had a fair crack of the whip, the famous Rovers Jury had him in the gallows. 

Guilty myself sometimes but he was following a popular guy who was shafted so it was always going to take time.

• Like 7

I think there's differences in how we have played so far this season (early days admittedly).

Looks to have used pre season to bed in a proper system of play (4-2-3-1 with rb being the width on the right, LB holding and lw hugging the left hand side). We are quite varied in our attack, more balls over the top but can play through the lines too. Much better attacking movement has been the stand out thing for me.

Wasn't a massive fan last season of eustace but he did the minimum that was required. With a full preseason and a transfer window he'll be judged properly and so far so good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think he probably had to approach it quite differently last season it was arm around the shoulder stuff to everyone and pandering to players, fans and his overloards.

Seem a lot more bullish this season and it's good to see and hear.

Again he was cast into the flames on here like so many players by a few before hes even had a fair crack of the whip, the famous Rovers Jury had him in the gallows. 

Guilty myself sometimes but he was following a popular guy who was shafted so it was always going to take time.

Brfcs Jury. There’s certainly no jury at Ewood anymore, lovely place to settle in to your job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Has the criticism ever been provoked by this idea that he is "Waggott' yes man?"

He inherited a tricky situation and took over from someone who was popular but results weren't particularly good hence why he wasnt instantly popular. There was no new manager bounce, he failed to win a single home game (despite playing some struggling teams) and of course a battering at Bristol City didnt help him.

Hopefully we will see some considerable improvements now its a fresh season, hes brought some players in to suit him, hes had a pre season and there are some initial green shoots, moreso v Derby where he got a home win rather than last night against a team of Stockports kids.

He needs to be careful about doing too well though. You might want to congratulate Waggott on a good appointment!

I wouldnt want Mowbray to be appointed Preston manager. He has proven to be a capable pair of hands at this level. I feel like if they take a risk and it backfires there is potential for a tricky season there, if they get Mowbray (health permitting) then they will be fine.

I've been pretty vocal in being on the fence with JE, based on last season's performances and lack of results/intent in key home games in the run in.

But we've looked a different side in the first 2 games so far this season.
Nice segments of tidy passing and movement and plenty of attacking intent.

Still a lot of work to do at the back end of the pitch (set pieces / binning off Pears), but he deserves credit for how we've started the first couple of games of the season.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, philipl said:

Very encouraged by what the Rovers fan sat behind the dug out said about Eustace being extremely direct and leaving nobody unclear about what standards he demands

Agree here. Eustace looks like a quiet person but I don't think he is. He clearly set high standards and demands the best from everyone whether its staff members or players

28 minutes ago, Andy said:

I've been pretty vocal in being on the fence with JE, based on last season's performances and lack of results/intent in key home games in the run in.

But we've looked a different side in the first 2 games so far this season.
Nice segments of tidy passing and movement and plenty of attacking intent.

Still a lot of work to do at the back end of the pitch (set pieces / binning off Pears), but he deserves credit for how we've started the first couple of games of the season.

Shows the benefits of a proper pre season and time on the training ground for Eustace and staff to get their ideas over to the players but also how he has made small changes like Keith Downing doing the back 4 warm ups. Last season it was Damien Johnson doing it even when Eustace was on. 

Eustace does need to work on the set pieces and make our defending much better. Its work in progress under Eustace but we are going in the right direction. 

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Has the criticism ever been provoked by this idea that he is "Waggott' yes man?"

He inherited a tricky situation and took over from someone who was popular but results weren't particularly good hence why he wasnt instantly popular. There was no new manager bounce, he failed to win a single home game (despite playing some struggling teams) and of course a battering at Bristol City didnt help him.

Hopefully we will see some considerable improvements now its a fresh season, hes brought some players in to suit him, hes had a pre season and there are some initial green shoots, moreso v Derby where he got a home win rather than last night against a team of Stockports kids.

He needs to be careful about doing too well though. You might want to congratulate Waggott on a good appointment!

I wouldnt want Mowbray to be appointed Preston manager. He has proven to be a capable pair of hands at this level. I feel like if they take a risk and it backfires there is potential for a tricky season there, if they get Mowbray (health permitting) then they will be fine.

You lost me at Mowbray

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt want Mowbray to be appointed Preston manager. He has proven to be a capable pair of hands at this level. I feel like if they take a risk and it backfires there is potential for a tricky season there, if they get Mowbray (health permitting) then they will be 

The criticism was that he hadn't won a game. The "home game" criticism only became a thing after  we'd won at Sunderland. 

It was at this point that Stokegate took on a life of its own. The most ridiculous thing is that it would have carried on into this season, for that reason alone, thank the lord we beat Derby. 

To be honest everything he said was scrutinized and interpreted despite much of it being standard new manager bs. After JDT and together with the weird fans meeting and propaganda on the website from “senior players” it caused a little unease. 
If we had won 5 on the bounce with him then the above would have disappeared pretty quickly.

Personally I thought he was ill advised in some of his statements - needed to read the room better but I can understand it. If it had continued during the summer and now (bigging up the squad and not being honest about what is needed) then I would genuinely have believed him to be SW stooge. As it is now he seems to be honest whilst still fully committed to the job and squad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

What would have been 'ridiculous' about commenting on the fact he still hadn't won a home game if still hadn't won a home game, despite being here since February?

But he did win it and that's that.

As I said,to me last season was needs must, I don't know why a "home win" only took on its own life after the win at Sunderland, and was more important to some than a win at Leeds for example. We stayed up, job done. 

I was always prepared to start afresh this season, it's a decent start. 

• Like 1

Eustace was too negative (certainly at Ewood) for me last season and it nearly cost us.  (JDT was too stubborn and that cost us as well)

But I said the aim was to stop up and he would either go in the "success" or "failure" bucket for last season based on that end result, and this season would be a clean slate. Job done.

Recruitment looks better. Initial performances and mentality look better. My expectations are low (probably driven down by shenanigans off the pitch and the thinness of the squad on paper), so if we finished 15th or above but always kept clear of the bottom three I'd say is par for the course. Top half would be a good achievement. I like the fact that Eustace seemed to take the League cup game seriously as well. The Mowbray cup capitulations used to really grate on me.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1