BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

4 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

Is the Brighton lad really in for a shot of championship player of the year? Having never played a senior men’s game before?

Would Chrysanthemum Somerville have got a minute playing for Arsenal last season?

Perhaps a shot at young player - we can dream!

Edited by philipl

11 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Before anyone gets carried away just remember that they gave JDT a half decent window when he started.

Come January when we were in the top six and flying, only needing one or two decent signings to get us over the line, rather than support him they did everything they could to totally de-rail the whole season.

But he did get Sorba Thomas on loan, a man guaranteed to propel us to promotion 😉 

Trouble with loans in like Thomas is it's all about themselves it was never an ambitious move by us it was because he was desperate and we were.  I thought he was half decent for a while but once it became clear he wasn't going to be offered a contract and he was being used less he just lost interest.

He was out of favour and out of the team at Hudds yet went back and became a regular again the season after, loan here helped him immensly but did nowt for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Trouble with loans in like Thomas is it's all about themselves it was never an ambitious move by us it was because he was desperate and we were.  I thought he was half decent for a while but once it became clear he wasn't going to be offered a contract and he was being used less he just lost interest.

He was out of favour and out of the team at Hudds yet went back and became a regular again the season after, loan here helped him immensly but did nowt for us.

Thomas came to us cos the Huddersfield head coach at the time wanted him out. Last season, he had a different head coach at the start of the season in Warnock who picked him regularly then the next 2 head coaches after Warnock 

International breaks do funny things to me.

I have just watched interviews of Ryan Manning and John Eustace back to back by the respective local media. 

That's 18 minutes I will never get back- 9 minutes each.

Stunning contrast

For a city of the size and wealth of Bristol, the interviewer was a disgrace. Don't ever knock Andy Beyes!

Manning was both vapid and specific- meaningless yet said too much about his players all of whom have an added y at the end of they surname... Manning wouldn't get me out of bed never mind motivated to run 12k during a football game. Had the right words but gave me zero confidence he really knew why they are leaking goals or if he had fixed it...

Eustace on the other hand struck me as the accomplished cool diplomat/politician. He doesn't have the smoothness or the eloquence of JDT (whose press conferences were as much a weekly highlight as the actual games!) but behind the West Midlands voice and occasionally mangled grammar is a guy in control, knows what he wants to say, says it and no more.

Of course the good start helps but I am becoming a big fan. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, philipl said:

International breaks do funny things to me.

I have just watched interviews of Ryan Manning and John Eustace back to back by the respective local media. 

That's 18 minutes I will never get back- 9 minutes each.

Stunning contrast

For a city of the size and wealth of Bristol, the interviewer was a disgrace. Don't ever knock Andy Beyes!

Manning was both vapid and specific- meaningless yet said too much about his players all of whom have an added y at the end of they surname... Manning wouldn't get me out of bed never mind motivated to run 12k during a football game. Had the right words but gave me zero confidence he really knew why they are leaking goals or if he had fixed it...

Eustace on the other hand struck me as the accomplished cool diplomat/politician. He doesn't have the smoothness or the eloquence of JDT (whose press conferences were as much a weekly highlight as the actual games!) but behind the West Midlands voice and occasionally mangled grammar is a guy in control, knows what he wants to say, says it and no more.

Of course the good start helps but I am becoming a big fan. 

JDT's skill in working the media in comparison to his players is an interesting topic IMO. I have said many times that I loved the way JDT had us playing, but was frustrated by his lack of tactical flexibility. I'm still not sure whether that was pigheadedness or lack of knowledge.

However, I often wonder whether his charm and way of captivating the audience within the media, and fan base to some extent got him an easier ride than others have had. It's also interesting how it would appear given the noises post him leaving (taking into account some were just being soft) and the fall out he's had with Larsson at Sweden that his charm with the media doesn't always extend to being able to motivate his players.

• Like 4

I think JDT was quite easy to read. He had an easy charm when it came to dealing with the media and was clearly very intelligent. He was certainly media-savvy. As a coach he was process driven, and if you couldn’t fit the process as a player you were discarded. He was a fantastic coach IMO, but wasn’t an ‘arm round the shoulder’ type when dealing with his players. 

Eustace appears completely different. He clearly couldn’t give a shit about how he comes across in interviews, and isn’t interested in giving ‘good copy’. I’d imagine the players like/respect him because he makes them feel valued. I’d also imagine he’s hard as nails when it comes to people not doing their jobs. He doesn’t strike me as the type to suffer fools. The ‘yes man’ tag was also utter bollocks. 

For all the warranted criticism of the club, I think we’ve made good managerial appointments from Mowbray onwards. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

I think JDT was quite easy to read. He had an easy charm when it came to dealing with the media and was clearly very intelligent. He was certainly media-savvy. As a coach he was process driven, and if you couldn’t fit the process as a player you were discarded. He was a fantastic coach IMO, but wasn’t an ‘arm round the shoulder’ type when dealing with his players. 

Eustace appears completely different. He clearly couldn’t give a shit about how he comes across in interviews, and isn’t interested in giving ‘good copy’. I’d imagine the players like/respect him because he makes them feel valued. I’d also imagine he’s hard as nails when it comes to people not doing their jobs. He doesn’t strike me as the type to suffer fools. The ‘yes man’ tag was also utter bollocks. 

For all the warranted criticism of the club, I think we’ve made good managerial appointments from Mowbray onwards. 

i thought jdt was a fantastic coach,some of the football we played in his first season,after a somewhat difficult start,was the best since the souness days,he just chose the wrong job coming here and made the mistake of building a really good side that looked like it could challenge for promotion with a few additions,we all know what happens when that occurs,it will be the same with eustace,if we are in or near the top six by the next transfer window,he`ll be hindered by venkys/swag,lets not get all excited by our good start,we`ve still got a slimy ceo,intent on feathering his own nest and owners who clearly don`t want us in the premier league

• Like 2

He was a good coach he was here to win games and progress the team/club and that is first and foremost to his type.

similar to Souness in as much as when they've played at the highest level, won things, played with great players and managers their bar is set very high.  They can't understand settling for anything less and struggle to grasp a lot of those they are now working with can't hit those same levels and are perhaps on occasion happy water treaders.

Same goes for club leaders and owners.

So it's great when things are going well but the min they aren't the tables are turned and it becomes all about themselves.

Edited by tomphil

JDT’s tactical inflexibility does make me question whether he is a top coach long term. I totally agree that the football we played under him is some of the best I’ve witnessed, that said his inability to react in game to situations or enact any sort of formation reshuffle seemed beyond him at times. 

• Like 2

On 09/09/2024 at 09:18, tomphil said:

Ironically, I think he'd be a great fit for JE's Rovers.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2024 at 12:10, Lancaster Rover said:

JDT's skill in working the media in comparison to his players is an interesting topic IMO. I have said many times that I loved the way JDT had us playing, but was frustrated by his lack of tactical flexibility. I'm still not sure whether that was pigheadedness or lack of knowledge.

However, I often wonder whether his charm and way of captivating the audience within the media, and fan base to some extent got him an easier ride than others have had. It's also interesting how it would appear given the noises post him leaving (taking into account some were just being soft) and the fall out he's had with Larsson at Sweden that his charm with the media doesn't always extend to being able to motivate his players.

What’s the fall out story with Larsson ?

1 minute ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I thought Eustace may be a yes man,I'll hold my hand up...what the feck do I know!.

i was p****d off with him at times last season,the plymouth game with the high line where they were just lobbing the ball over the top

can`t fault him this season,the players look fit,hungry and a proper unit

• Like 1

• Backroom

He came into a bad situation last season with the team in free fall. Got the results necessary to just about get us over the line. Not the greatest first impression, but first objective achieved nonetheless.

So far this season we look far more like what I was hoping for from a Eustace team. Working hard, mixing up play, rotating players based on performance and merit. It's early days but the signs are good. Cheers to Big Club for their ridiculous decision to get rid of him and replace with Rooney.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, DE. said:

He came into a bad situation last season with the team in free fall. Got the results necessary to just about get us over the line. Not the greatest first impression, but first objective achieved nonetheless.

So far this season we look far more like what I was hoping for from a Eustace team. Working hard, mixing up play, rotating players based on performance and merit. It's early days but the signs are good. Cheers to Big Club for their ridiculous decision to get rid of him and replace with Rooney.

What he said 👍

We had a spell last season conceeding 4 at Southampton, 2 at home to Watford, 3 away at Huddersfield, 4 away at West Brom, 3 at Hull, 2 at Rotherham that really annoyed me under JDT. 

I was eventually really glad to see the back of him.

Eustace then did exactly what was needed and stopped us shipping goals, but it was hard to be excited initially as we limped to safety.

Brilliant away results at Leeds and Leicester really caught my attention however and I was looking forward to this season. I was also curious as to why Birmingham fans spoke so highly of him.

I think the best compliment I can give him just now is that we look like a seasoned pro-team once again. Organised, well drilled, determined, efficient and effective. Plus we aren't little bitches anymore and no ones soft touch.

Eustace couldn't have done anymore and deserves the full support of one and all.

I still think a bit of credit to JDT applies however. He gave a lot of these players the freedom to play and when we need it, and we will, we know we can switch to a dynamic, free-flowing and fast-moving style.

Nice to enjoy ourselves for a little while at least. Let's fill that away end at PNE.

• Like 3