BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are 8th in the league. So let's get proper perspective here instead with some people are yet again doom and gloom after back to back defeats instead of looking at the bigger picture like myself or @M_Bare doing. 

8th in the league means nothing when we're not even a quarter through the season... for exactly the same reason Eustace's record at Birmingham last year is not indicative of him being the messiah some would have you believe. The table is so bunched up it is heavily swayed by fixture difficulty, and ours has not been that hard.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We won’t be looking for a new manager this season regardless of if he ends up looking good, bad or indifferent.

Im past caring who manages us, it’s doesn’t matter, we are set up to fail regardless 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

8th in the league means nothing when we're not even a quarter through the season... for exactly the same reason Eustace's record at Birmingham last year is not indicative of him being the messiah some would have you believe. The table is so bunched up it is heavily swayed by fixture difficulty, and ours has not been that hard.

You have your opinion and I have mine and we don't agree. The fixture list is the fixture list. Get on with it

No one has said he is the messiah so its just piece of using hyperbole to make your point

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are 8th in the league. So let's get proper perspective here instead with some people are yet again doom and gloom after back to back defeats instead of looking at the bigger picture like myself or @M_Bare doing. 

What makes your opinion one of "proper" perspective and those who are more critical just bringers of "doom and gloom?" 

It is a valid point that our fixtures at home have been favourable ones, thats a fair point to make. That being said, he couldnt win even a single home game when we had some favourable ones last season, and those games have to be your bread and butter, so to win all 4 deserves a lot of credit. His approach to away games is becoming a big concern, purposely leaving out players with flair and creativity trying to "stay in the game" against the mighty Plymouth. It didnt work, and I think he needs to have a major think. The question is, can he get the best from those players or will he choose to stick with his favourites in Dolan/Hedges etc who like to run around but dont do anything.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

What makes your opinion one of "proper" perspective and those who are more critical just bringers of "doom and gloom?" 

Cos I and others have look at all 9 league games in our opinions not just the last 2 games. 

It is a valid point that our fixtures at home have been favourable ones, thats a fair point to make. That being said, he couldnt win even a single home game when we had some favourable ones last season, and those games have to be your bread and butter, so to win all 4 deserves a lot of credit.

No I don't think it's a valid point at all cos any team can beat anyone at this level like Plymouth did beating Sunderland the other week, how many of you lot gave Plymouth a chance. 

His approach to away games is becoming a big concern, purposely leaving out players with flair and creativity trying to "stay in the game" against the mighty Plymouth. It didnt work, and I think he needs to have a major think. The question is, can he get the best from those players or will he choose to stick with his favourites in Dolan/Hedges etc who like to run around but dont do anything.

You mean the last 2 away games? Did you have the same concerns in the first 2 away games or the way Eustace approach the Burnley game after we went down to 10 men? 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos I and others have look at all 9 league games in our opinions not just the last 2 games. 

No I don't think it's a valid point at all cos any team can beat anyone at this level like Plymouth did beating Sunderland the other week, how many of you lot gave Plymouth a chance. 

You mean the last 2 away games? Did you have the same concerns in the first 2 away games or the way Eustace approach the Burnley game after we went down to 10 men? 

Its a way of trying to make it seem like your opinion is reasonable and others arent. Whereas you are reluctant to criticise even when he makes decisions that lead to bad losses and/or when you wanted him to do different things.

Cliches (often used on Sky Sports to promote the league) about anyone beating anyone else aside, obviously they can otherwise we wouldnt watch it but there are games that are harder/easier than each other. Our home games so far have been favourable, all games we have been favourites to win and the games that have to be the bread and butter where you pick up a big chunk of your points. Its not a criticism of Eustace to say that, and to win every single point in those games is a big positive and a big credit.

But equally, away form has been crap. His approach in away games seems to be different in those games and it clearly hasnt worked hence the lack of points. His quotes yesterday summed up his overly negative approach which hasnt worked. It has not only stunted us going forward (4 goals in 5 games) but it has allowed our opposition to dominate us and attack more freely. It was an excellent result at Burnley but our overall record away is not good enough. Im guessing you think it is hence why his overly negative tactics are ones youll defend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a way of trying to make it seem like your opinion is reasonable and others arent. Whereas you are reluctant to criticise even when he makes decisions that lead to bad losses and/or when you wanted him to do different things.

No its called forming based on the entire 9 games we have played in the league which we have 15 points from those games. So if I had offered you 15 points from our first 9 games you wouldn't have accept that? 

I will criticise when needed but I won't just criticise for the sake of it and will judge it the way I see fit. Being 8th after 9 games and with 15 points on Board, I would have accept it and happy with it. 

if you offered me Rovers would be around 39 points from the first 23 games I would accept that and bank it. 

Cliches (often used on Sky Sports to promote the league) about anyone beating anyone else aside, obviously they can otherwise we wouldnt watch it but there are games that are harder/easier than each other. Our home games so far have been favourable, all games we have been favourites to win and the games that have to be the bread and butter where you pick up a big chunk of your points. 

Its nothing about cliches but this league has proved more enough times that being pre match favourite to win means nothing.  

But equally, away form has been crap. His approach in away games seems to be different in those games and it clearly hasnt worked hence the lack of points. His quotes yesterday summed up his overly negative approach which hasnt worked. It has not only stunted us going forward (4 goals in 5 games) but it has allowed our opposition to dominate us and attack more freely. It was an excellent result at Burnley but our overall record away is not good enough. Im guessing you think it is hence why his overly negative tactics are ones youll defend.

So away point at Burnley with 10 men or point at Norwich after being 2-1- down is crap now? well at least we know where you stand. 

Yes the last 2 away games haven't been good in terms of performances but overall I am very happy with our start and points total. If you aren't then fair enough

I'm pretty sure that every single Rovers supporter would be happy with 15 points from 9 games.

But to simply dismiss concerns over recent performances as 'criticising for the sake of it', is blinkered.

Those 9 games are history.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No its called forming based on the entire 9 games we have played in the league which we have 15 points from those games. So if I had offered you 15 points from our first 9 games you wouldn't have accept that? 

I will criticise when needed but I won't just criticise for the sake of it and will judge it the way I see fit. Being 8th after 9 games and with 15 points on Board, I would have accept it and happy with it. 

if you offered me Rovers would be around 39 points from the first 23 games I would accept that and bank it. 

Its nothing about cliches but this league has proved more enough times that being pre match favourite to win means nothing.  

So away point at Burnley with 10 men or point at Norwich after being 2-1- down is crap now? well at least we know where you stand. 

Yes the last 2 away games haven't been good in terms of performances but overall I am very happy with our start and points total. If you aren't then fair enough

Do you realise the hypocrisy of trying to play the role of portraying others as "doom and gloom" merchants by trying to make out that you are analysing the full season, only to then mention individual games to try and dismiss concerns about our overall away record?

I have never said that I wouldnt have taken 15 points at this stage, but that tally doesnt obliterate the potential to find areas of weakness (and strength). Our home form is perfect, easier games on paper but to win every one is brilliant. No debate to be had with anyone as no one could possibly argue that our home record is anything other than fantastic.

But 3 points from 5 away games is definitely crap, in my opinion anyway. So without mentioning our overall record and deflecting away from the question. Are you happy with our away record so far this season of 3 draws and 2 losses from 5 games, with 0 wins? 

We need to build on and continue with our excellent home return so far, with harder games to come. Away, I see big red flags. I feel like Eustace's approach is counterproductive, even admitting that he left our better attackers on the bench with a gameplan to try and get them involved from the hour mark. Overall points tally is good, broken down into a perfect home record and a crap away record.

• Like 2

I suppose you could take some comfort in this. Would everyone on here take 15 points from the next 9 games right now?

For what it’s worth, I have serious doubts about Eustace, but so far this season, he has out performed based on results and points, in my opinion. 

Edited by lraC

56 minutes ago, lraC said:

I suppose you could take some comfort in this. Would everyone on here take 15 points from the next 9 games right now?

For what it’s worth, I have serious doubts about Eustace, but so far this season, he has out performed based on results and points, in my opinion. 

I would but if we then got those points from the first 7 matches I’d be a bit peeved at not adding more from the final 2.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, lraC said:

There are 5 lots of 9 games (remainder one) over the season, so 15pts x5 = 75pts = usually a playoff place.

I’d take that, absolutely.

But I also agree with you that Eustace has hit something of a wall, and needs to turn it round.

It’s very possible that it’s down to missing such a dynamic player as Beck down the left forcing too much change elsewhere in the x1, but Eustace needs to adapt better than he has so far.

Do you realise the hypocrisy of trying to play the role of portraying others as "doom and gloom" merchants by trying to make out that you are analysing the full season, only to then mention individual games to try and dismiss concerns about our overall away record?

Nope. I have look at the overall season and then look at the last 2 games which we lost. Evaluating the entire season as my opinion. 

I have never said that I wouldnt have taken 15 points at this stage, but that tally doesnt obliterate the potential to find areas of weakness (and strength).

So would you take another 15 points from our next 9 games? 

Our home form is perfect, easier games on paper but to win every one is brilliant. No debate to be had with anyone as no one could possibly argue that our home record is anything other than fantastic.

You just don't get it. Every game at this level is hard. No easy in life. 

But 3 points from 5 away games is definitely crap, in my opinion anyway. So without mentioning our overall record and deflecting away from the question. Are you happy with our away record so far this season of 3 draws and 2 losses from 5 games, with 0 wins? 

Happy with the first 3 games not the last 2 away but that wont change my opinion we had a good start to the season. 

We need to build on and continue with our excellent home return so far, with harder games to come. Away, I see big red flags. I feel like Eustace's approach is counterproductive, even admitting that he left our better attackers on the bench with a gameplan to try and get them involved from the hour mark. Overall points tally is good, broken down into a perfect home record and a crap away record.

I can understanding that gameplan and stay in the game until Cantwell and others can influence the game from the bench. It's why I wouldn't have start Cantwell at Coventry but at Plymouth. Cantwell isn't ready back to back games

Good and bad runs are pretty much the norm in the Championship for most clubs. WBA were in the top 3 after 5 or 6 games, they’ve now not won in 3. 

Two defeats in a row on the road is not really cause for alarm. If our home form also turns to shit then it is time to panic!

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

There are 5 lots of 9 games (remainder one) over the season, so 15pts x5 = 75pts = usually a playoff place.

I’d take that, absolutely.

But I also agree with you that Eustace has hit something of a wall, and needs to turn it round.

It’s very possible that it’s down to missing such a dynamic player as Beck down the left forcing too much change elsewhere in the x1, but Eustace needs to adapt better than he has so far.

There's no doubt, Eustace has hit a wall.  We need some big brave and bold selections - lets see if he has the cojones!

Based on what I've seen so far, Beck is our best signing of the window - sadly, he's only a loan player.  Undoubtedly, he should start every game as our left back.

After the international break, Cantwell has to be the first name on the team sheet in the offensive 'front' 4.  No p1ssing about, play him where his influence is greatest and that means in the number 10 role with Dolan jettisoned to history.

ACD must also be given a run of games, he could, and I mean could, be sensational.

How do we get the best out of Ohashi is the poser.  With Cantwell's craft and guile in the 10 role and ACD's lighning pace down the flank, feels like he would have many more scoring opportunities.

Sadly, looks like Gueye might prove to be a poor man's Gallagher.  His inability to even cleanly strike the ball is very worrying.

As for Toth, I only hope he proves to be the long term answer to our issues between the sticks.

Think we'll soon find out if Eustace is either a 'dud' or the 'real thing'.

• Like 1

Our overall away record so far this season is clearly crap though, I dont think there is panic but equally I dont think its just a case of a couple of away losses, it can happen.

Our overall points tally is good and if we kept accumulating points at the rate we are doing so now, then everyone would be happy. 

But the difference between a perfect home record and a rubbish away one is stark. We arent going to win all 23 home games even if the approach to those games has been more than justified, but there needs to be a change of approach and a rethink ahead of away games. 

Eustace admitting that he left our better players all on the bench as part of a gameplan that clearly didnt work is a worry. We need to try to exert ourselves and get out better players causing problems for the opposition. I get wanting to build on a solid base but I think a mindset of trying to cling on for two thirds of the game has also led to our defence being under more pressure than it needed to be, with them often appearing all at see.

The usual weak links, inconsistent players and lack of depth of quality in this squad will always haunt us no matter who runs the team.

I do think Eustace has gone into his shell a bit in terms of the away games but Burnley and PNE were well earned points.  We are though affording opposition outside of derby games way too much time and space again.

It's clear his ethos is try and win at home and try not to lose first and foremost away.

Needs to be a bit bolder in winnable games.

Preston was a disappointing result but again, we seem to have the same mindset of trying to sit in and struggled to create chances even against a man less for half a game.

The Burnley game was obviously a good result of course but obviously that was solely from a defensive perspective especially when Gueye was sent off.

Edited by roversfan99

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Good and bad runs are pretty much the norm in the Championship for most clubs. WBA were in the top 3 after 5 or 6 games, they’ve now not won in 3. 

Two defeats in a row on the road is not really cause for alarm. If our home form also turns to shit then it is time to panic!

My concern is that Eustace and a large portion of the support base appear to have decided that draws away from home are fine. Sooner or later there has to be some more ambition than that. This is something JDT had, aiming to win every game. Of course many times it ended in defeat and lots of goals conceded but we also won a fair few which is something that looks a way off at the moment.

I agree draws away are good IF you are winning all/most of your home games. But when home form dips, which it will when we get around to playing the likes of Leeds, West Brom, Sheff Utd etc. and folk are then out in force telling us that a draw in those would be a great result, this shifts a lot of pressure over onto our away form and needing some wins from those.

Win every home game and draw every away game and you are laughing. But we won't win every home game and we aren't drawing every away game. The product in the last 3 away games has been horrific, picking up 1 point from 9 against three very poor sides despite having a man advantage for most of one of them as well.

This is worrying and I am concerned that Eustace's 'pragmatism' is becoming an issue. He was far too slow to act in the Preston game and that cost us 2 points and nearly 3. Coventry was the typical dismal midweek debacle against a side who had lost games either side of that in weary fashion. Plymouth could easily have been a horror show attracting far greater criticism, we were spared from it by poor finishing/good saves/late equaliser and the last gasp nature of their winner. On another day we could have been 2 or 3 down by half time and they'd have won at a canter.

We all know that the owners and the board have zero ambition other than serving their own interests, but I think now that the 'unbeaten' tag has gone one or two need to get real and stop with the pats on the back routine.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 6

On 06/10/2024 at 13:15, Mercer said:

Some perspective called for.

Our home wins have come across teams presently 22nd, 17th, 12th and 10th in the league.  We have also been bounced out of the Carabao by a then managerless League 1 side.

Our last 3 away games (1 point against a 10 man team and 2 losses) have come against teams presently 20th, 19th and 14th in the league.

I would suggest the wheels have started to come off.

Eustace's selections, tactics and game management have been found sadly wanting in our last 4 games - you can excuse 1 game as these things happen but 4 consecutive games is a big concern.

Personally, I'm far from convinced about Eustace and if things don't change and improve quickly we might need to look for another manager.

A bit more perspective - we've got a bunch of fuckwits who own the club the club who made a ton of money and spent a pittance. My view is that we're lucky to be in the position we're in and no matter which manager ia in charge, his overlords would find a way to fuck it up.

14 years - only one constant. The manager hasn't even completed 8 months yet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Preston was a disappointing result but again, we seem to have the same mindset of trying to sit in and struggled to create chances even against a man less for half a game.

The Burnley game was obviously a good result of course but obviously that was solely from a defensive perspective especially when Gueye was sent off.

All our attacking players were off form for the Preston game and Preston did exactly what we did to Burnley. Sat deeper, solid defending and counter attack us. 

If we were right now sandwiched between Stoke and Bristol, I'm pretty sure there would be agreement on here that we were probably about par. 

Eustace seems to be a victim of his own success for having such a great start, we're way ahead of where anyone thought we would be,yet there's a bit of a panic set in. 

Reading some comments, you'd think we were joint bottom. 

• Like 1