BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think anyone has suggested that we have not had a good start overall. But it seems some get a kick out of making out as if everyone is going well over the top.

Different people have different opinions. That's life. You are clearly unhappy by the last 2 games and that's where your focus is instead some others like myself focus on the 9 games we played so far very happy with the start. I expect us to be inconsistent this season where we will have ups and downs. 

You said we had a good start overall so would you be happy with another 15 points in the next 9 games? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Different people have different opinions. That's life. You are clearly unhappy by the last 2 games and that's where your focus is instead some others like myself focus on the 9 games we played so far very happy with the start. I expect us to be inconsistent this season where we will have ups and downs. 

You said we had a good start overall so would you be happy with another 15 points in the next 9 games? 

I answered that before, but yes. 

My reflection on the season so far is that we have made a good start. Perfect home start, 12 from 12, well done Eustace. Crap away start, only 3 from 15, big question marks on Eustace's approach away from home. I think thats balanced and fair.

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, M_B said:

Eustace seems to be a victim of his own success for having such a great start, we're way ahead of where anyone thought we would be,

This. 🎯.

It's funny, almost every post I've seen has had the words "good start" in them, yet there as some being cast as doom merchants.

The last 3 and a bit games have been dire, counterbalanced by that perfect home record. As others have said, Eustace seems to have hit a wall, with selection and tactics recently leaving plenty to be desired. 

I'd absolutely take 15 points from the next 9 games. The thing is, we won't be playing the same teams and we've definitely had a soft start. I don't want to hear "there's no easy games", because some are demonstrably harder than others.

I'm pleased with where we are but have genuine concerns about the coach and squad. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m happy with the overall start to the season and find myself unable to blame Eustace for the previous two results, frustrating as his tactics have been.

But I’m also worried about the manner in which the players have seemingly downed tools. It’s not been a lack of luck or injuries, they’ve been abysmal. And it’s happened far too many times over the years for me not to be troubled by it. We’re a running joke amongst other supporters that say we always have a good start then fall apart after Christmas, and it’s only October.

1 hour ago, booth said:

I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m happy with the overall start to the season and find myself unable to blame Eustace for the previous two results, frustrating as his tactics have been.

But I’m also worried about the manner in which the players have seemingly downed tools. It’s not been a lack of luck or injuries, they’ve been abysmal. And it’s happened far too many times over the years for me not to be troubled by it. We’re a running joke amongst other supporters that say we always have a good start then fall apart after Christmas, and it’s only October.

I agree with @booth here. Eustace for me has done an OK job.

Last year there were terrifically-orchestrated defensive wins at Leeds and Leicester sitting alongside dull ,sterile home performances where we showed little ambition to win. Thus OK.

This season we started really well, settled new signings in, showed great team spirit and grit and scored a lot of goals. However the last 3 away performances have been poor. Therefore overall we've been OK.

I'm seeing that the balance of the attacking side isn't right, especially trying to work out how we use Cantwell and ACD, plus Big Mac and Yuki. It's something Eustace clearly needs to change and you can't expect it to all work from day one. Think back to the League One season and, despite the fact I thought we were clearly the best team in the league (sorry Wigan), it still took a few months to find the best balance to get the most out of that squad. Hopefully that's where we are at the moment,albeit I don't expect promotion. Just to be competitive in most games !

Therefore JE is neither shite, nor is he working wonders. It's still early days and so far he's been, err, OK.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, booth said:

Why do you find yourself unable to criticise Eustace for the defeats?

You touch on his tactics frustrating you, which is in itself suggests a criticism. And its a fair one. I think his approach of leaving our better attackers on the bench and just trying to cling on until they come on has been a big factor, as well as his team selections.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

I agree with @booth here. Eustace for me has done an OK job.

Last year there were terrifically-orchestrated defensive wins at Leeds and Leicester sitting alongside dull ,sterile home performances where we showed little ambition to win. Thus OK.

This season we started really well, settled new signings in, showed great team spirit and grit and scored a lot of goals. However the last 3 away performances have been poor. Therefore overall we've been OK.

I'm seeing that the balance of the attacking side isn't right, especially trying to work out how we use Cantwell and ACD, plus Big Mac and Yuki. It's something Eustace clearly needs to change and you can't expect it to all work from day one. Think back to the League One season and, despite the fact I thought we were clearly the best team in the league (sorry Wigan), it still took a few months to find the best balance to get the most out of that squad. Hopefully that's where we are at the moment,albeit I don't expect promotion. Just to be competitive in most games !

Therefore JE is neither shite, nor is he working wonders. It's still early days and so far he's been, err, OK.

The last 2 results have definitely tempered an excellent start.

Looking at the points return alone, 8 points clear of the relegation zone and 1 off the play offs, considering who we lost and the distinct lack of investment , I'd say the start over the 9 games has been quite a bit better than OK. It has definitely surpassed my expectations. 

16 minutes ago, M_B said:

The last 2 results have definitely tempered an excellent start.

Looking at the points return alone, 8 points clear of the relegation zone and 1 off the play offs, considering who we lost and the distinct lack of investment , I'd say the start over the 9 games has been quite a bit better than OK. It has definitely surpassed my expectations. 

I agree it's better than my expectations. If we are talking points on the board after 9 games then I'd say it's been a good start. However I do agree with those that say the performances haven't been quite as good as it appears from the points garnered.

I'd have Eustace currently on a 6/10 rating. I can understand people being a bit happier with him than that, and also those a bit less happy. It's the "time to sack him / offer him a 4 year deal" opinions that I don't get. It's still early days.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You touch on his tactics frustrating you, which is in itself suggests a criticism. And its a fair one. I think his approach of leaving our better attackers on the bench and just trying to cling on until they come on has been a big factor, as well as his team selections.

Of course he can be criticised for the defeats. Certainly starting with that XI at Plymouth was completely on him.

If he feels that defending stoutly most of the game and then nicking wins at Leicester and Leeds is the way to approach all away games then it might be dull as dishwater but he's entitled to try it. If it works no-one would care.

But now it has failed badly twice he needs to change that approach.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Posted (edited)

I'm still a long way from feeling like I can judge Eustace definitively yet. Last season was a survival job and he managed it, one way or another. This season we were among the favourites to potentially be relegated and our start has been better than expected, albeit with a couple of recent performances which show we're a long way from being a solid team. I feel like the next two home games - both in terms of performance and team selection - will give a better idea as to where we are, but it's going to take a while before I'd be confident in saying extend his contract or get rid of him. Too early to say one way or another at the moment, and I still have the overwhelming sense that until the ownership changes we're doomed to tread water, at best, no matter what.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 4

We are roughly a fifth of the way through the league season.

Based on what I've seen of the Championship so far,  we are light years away offensively from the 7 clubs above us and even a number below us.

I look at our offensive 4 and only Cantwell gives me hope, possibly ACD as well.  If Ohashi gets the service then he might deliver.

Eustace needs to be bold in his selections otherwise a turgid mediocrity awaits us at best.

There are three things make me wonder about this guy…

1) He hasn’t made a single bold selection while he’s been here - no surprises at all. Furphy brought in Bradford and McDonald from nowhere and consigned The Don to the stiffs; Lee brought the Don back in; Smith went for two out-and-out wingers; Kendall dropped Metcalfe and almost sold Garner; Parkes moved Atko to midfield; McKay put Hendry up front in a cup final, even with Kenny we never really knew the exact team till 2pm. This fella has just done the obvious.

2) I thought Dolan was the most improved player in JDT’s first season, because he played one or two touches and stopped dicking around. Now he’s dicking around again says to me that JDT made him stop while Eustace isn’t as firm.

3) His insistence on signing experience is a cop out - requires no insight or plan - and playing them all has made us even slower. After the last two games I’m beginning to think experience is another word for past it old lags. Ba’ath getting done by that Dingle was no Kevin Moran, in fact last seasons Moran would’ve done better in that situation.

Summing up, I see a cautious, overly-pally manager with no philosophy on how to win.

• Like 4

On 08/10/2024 at 12:52, roversfan99 said:

Where did I say I was unable to criticise him? I did on the match thread but I'm not going to lay the blame entirely at his door as he didn't decide to bring in one loanee and two old guys in defence, or cheap out on midfield/forward options with so much money in the bank. Every manager is going to make mistakes but with better players it impacts the side less.

I said right at the beginning of the season that it's the same old shit in defence so we're going to concede a lot and without the Szmodic goals we will struggle. I was amazed that people were happy with Batth/McFadz/Hyam/Carter as our CB options after last year, and then Pickering and Brittain as our first choice full backs. At least Beck looks good for a season if he can stay fit and keep Pickering well away from first choice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mercer said:

We are roughly a fifth of the way through the league season.

Based on what I've seen of the Championship so far,  we are light years away offensively from the 7 clubs above us and even a number below us.

I look at our offensive 4 and only Cantwell gives me hope, possibly ACD as well.  If Ohashi gets the service then he might deliver.

Eustace needs to be bold in his selections otherwise a turgid mediocrity awaits us at best.

So you rate 3 of the 4 attacking options. We’re going up!

Why not start with our best attacking options and go all out for a couple of goals. The best form of defence is attack and although, I understand the need for caution in some fixtures, surely the last two were not those that we needed to be as cautious as we were.

Let the opposition worry about us, not the other way round. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

All we are missing is an Adam Wharton type creative player in the middle and a 30 goal a season forward player like Szmodics 👍🏻 oh....

Yep and as if by magic and pure coincidence when we had those players instead of building around them the funding had run out meaning sell as soon as offers came in....

Therefore we can wax on all we want about a steady managers lack of boldness but you can't ever ever build a promotion team by having a best player selling policy and no real re investment.

He's operating under a sell to survive policy and replace with sticking plasters.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4