BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Given that Wharton's out for some time I think McFadzean COULD be an OK signing on sensible terms, but that's where its likely to fall down when we have simpletons negotiating.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Given that Wharton's out for some time I think McFadzean COULD be an OK signing on sensible terms, but that's where its likely to fall down when we have simpletons negotiating.

My concern with the contract extension is when he originally signed we had no budget and was in need of an experienced head, he ticked that box.

Going forwards it worries me that he still is seen as a viable option when we should be looking to improve our defence. Spending his wage money on a younger player with experience should be the approach and a scouting structure should easily be able to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cesus said:

My concern with the contract extension is when he originally signed we had no budget and was in need of an experienced head, he ticked that box.

Going forwards it worries me that he still is seen as a viable option when we should be looking to improve our defence. Spending his wage money on a younger player with experience should be the approach and a scouting structure should easily be able to do that.

There is almost certainly still no budget, so deals like this, are likely to be the norm, this summer. Probably Fleck next on similar terms. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Agreed, Experience is there obviously but Rovers have always produced good defenders. If he is mentoring the likes of O Riordan, Aitchson there could be other benefits of this deal

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lraC said:

There is almost certainly still no budget, so deals like this, are likely to be the norm, this summer. Probably Fleck next on similar terms. 

There will never be more self generated funds in the club as there is this summer. I have no reason to doubt you but If they are the types of signings being made then I think I'm done. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cesus said:

There will never be more self generated funds in the club as there is this summer. I have no reason to doubt you but If they are the types of signings being made then I think I'm done. 

Agree, no excuses this time. If the money we've got now from recent transfers and add-ons is simply available to pay running costs, then the Club has no future and will inevitably slide down the Leagues into oblivion.

Rotten transfer window after rotten transfer window is all we get.

• Like 4

Seen the LET are trying to spin a story on Szmodics saying "a new contract hasn't been ruled out".

Nice little PR piece in the last week of early bird ST sales.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, cesus said:

I've no issues with a bit of experience, as back up. It's a hectic schedule and your centre halves are 100% picking up knocks over the course of a season. It's obvious McFadzean is a popular and respected figure, just look at the reaction he got against Coventry. As I say, the deal must be a sensible one though and in line with what a backup, ageing centre half should be earning.

Suspect O'Riordan will feature quite a lot pre season to see what he's made of and pretty sure we'll bring in someone in on loan again, although Koumetio wasn't really used last season for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Potential sales of Szmodics, Travis, Carter, Dolan and Gallagher.

Might as well stick us in league one now. 

Selling everything that's not nailed down it seems.

Don't forget to buy your season ticket(!)

1 hour ago, lraC said:

With all that money in, plus the Raya money, the Wharton money and £20M from the owners, perhaps we are going to spend £50m on a new team and give promotion a real go

Perhaps that'll pay the VLL overdraft down in India then they'll look to grow another team to sell.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Dolan and Gallagher were always going to be on the sales list this summer. Even if you ignore Gallagher's hefty wage which the money men will have earmarked as a saving there's the contract situation. Both could get deals at other Championship clubs which means they will be able to ask for a wage that we are unwilling to offer under our current austerity measures.

No new contract, big wage and both likely to attract interest from elsewhere = they will be sold

Travis was put in the shop window and will now have had a taste of playing at a proper football club with a dollop of ambition. Will be some come down returning to Brockhall under the latest incarnation of Venky Rovers watching all quality sold and no investment. 

He's on his last realistic chance of a good long term deal elsewhere and other Championship clubs will be interested. Also on a decent wage so likely to be sold.

Carter less pressure to sell but an easy way to raise a few million and they will think it is easy to replace with a McFadzean or season long loan coming in.

Szmodics, enough said already, though I'd rather they didn't continue to insult our intelligence by suggesting a new deal could happen. They really do think we are stupid.

Basically it's sell everyone who will bring in a penny or two, drop the club into league one and use the proceeds to fund the club reducing the amount the owners have to put in, since the government are now on to whatever scam it was they were running for the last fourteen years.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Seen the LET are trying to spin a story on Szmodics saying "a new contract hasn't been ruled out".

Nice little PR piece in the last week of early bird ST sales.

That's the usual, they print what the club ask them to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cesus said:

I think a lot are feeling the same way to be honest. I hope the club prove me wrong, but I genuinely believe at least 3 sales will take place and very little of what is/has already been generated will be spent.

Swag says no funding issues, and I believe we aren't particularly close to FFP limits (plus Raya cash to come too).. so presumably we won't be selling players (Sammie wanting a move aside) and in fact we'll be spending a decent amount?

If not, why not?

• Like 2

What day did Suhail go to discuss budgets with the owners? Things just always seem to take yonks here... that could've easily been done via Zoom.

Thank god the Euros are on for now! As this is likely to be a very shite window.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2024 at 15:58, Polky said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2024/06/11/premier-league-new-boys-ipswich-join-crystal-palace-and-southampton-in-the-hunt-for-welsh-youth-star/

Quite a few clubs and Rovers interested in 18yo centre-back George Nevett at Rochdale.

I wouldn’t be surprised at this one, with Tyjon joining from Rochdale and we all know about Brierley.

He’s joining Peterborough.

16 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

What day did Suhail go to discuss budgets with the owners? Things just always seem to take yonks here... that could've easily been done via Zoom.

Thank god the Euros are on for now! As this is likely to be a very shite window.

The Euros is probably where Suhail is enjoying his summer jaunt with his agent pals.

The budget will be set by Vs/Rovers myriad of finance directors then await approval from Mr D.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Polky said:

He’s joining Peterborough.

Saw that earlier - sounds like they've sold it to him based on the fact that he'll go straight into their senior squad.

Fair play to the lad!

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Swag says no funding issues, and I believe we aren't particularly close to FFP limits (plus Raya cash to come too).. so presumably we won't be selling players (Sammie wanting a move aside) and in fact we'll be spending a decent amount?

If not, why not?

There's no reason we shouldn't be spending good money but there is definitely a reason why we won't! 

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

If not, why not?

You are quite right, but remember these are all the positives, whilst the season tickets are on sale.

Be patient and the excuses will begin to shine through. 

• Like 1