BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

32 minutes ago, alexanders said:

The only reason we are not better off would be because we just sold a superstar and those things are expected (Wharton) 

we need to rebuild, bring new talents, develop. 

I like the route we are going with the foreign market with lots of upsides and the astute signings with solid championship experience (cheapish). 

Both of these really important to keep the wages down on a consistent level. 

So we are a developing club for the likes of Crystal Palace now?

9 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Can have as many as you want, but only 5 in the matchday squad.

I think its a maximum of 8 loans over the course of a season, but only 5 in any matchday squad

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Can have as many as you want, but only 5 in the matchday squad.

I actually never knew you could bring in as many as you like, I thought there was a cap. Must've mistaken it for my Danish league knowledge from FM.

1 hour ago, Ricceh said:

People are comparing last seasons squad including loans against our current squad before the loan market kicks off? Sort of skewing the data to match your anger there. 

I'm not overjoyed with the current way the club is being run, but if you're really going to argue that we are no better off at this stage of the transfer window than last year, you're just being obstinate.

But we had Adam then and weren't about to lose Sammi.

I'm expecting the quality of the squad to be lower than at this time last year which means relegation probably.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Except we can basically remove Telalovic from that list as he was never used in the second half of the season - even when needed.

I do actually believe that we will end up with a slightly bigger squad once all of the dealings are wrapped up as we are almost certainly looking at one or two more permanent signings and we will definitely see a couple of loan signings. 

You can’t just wipe someone from history, Eddie. Whether he was good enough or not he was here and he was an option that needs replacing. Him being an option the manager chose not to use is on budget and recruitment. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

You can’t just wipe someone from history, Eddie. Whether he was good enough or not he was here and he was an option that needs replacing. Him being an option the manager chose not to use is on budget and recruitment. 

Fair enough, but in terms of game time/standing within the squad (practically none under Eustace), Telalovic could be seen as being replaced by Vale, who wasn't here last season

Edited by KentExile

It's been said before but I resent the comment that it "wouldn't be good enough for some people on here if we signed Messi". 

I get that it's hyperbole but what about Rovers' current situation should fans be delighted about? Aging freebies? Unproven, cheap (though admittedly intriguing) strikers? Financial confusion? Again fans are told they should be grateful for the bare minimum.

• Like 4

Fundamentally clubs that have brought in a fraction of the cash we have in the last 12 months are still spending substantially more than us. 

That's before we talk about wages which we really should be right down at the bottom of the league on too.

Sales like Adam Wharton and bonuses like Raya together with substantial reductions in numbers and wages SHOULD open the door to a comprehensive rebuild and refresh, investing that money in new assets that will retain or grow in value and then either launch a future promotion push or at least lead to future sales to reinvest again and on it goes.

No evidence of that happening here. No plan other than a wise move by the manager to target some experience as he knows how precarious our position is.

We haven't reinvested. We haven't even spent the Gallagher and Gent money let alone touch the Wharton and Raya dosh.

Even if we manage to survive or finish mid-table (hooray what a cause for celebration) we are soon going to run out of saleable assets.

Let us hope that when we do the owners have nowhere left to turn and this breaks them.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's a fair point, but loans are meant to push your squad over the top (see Diallo at Sunderland a couple of years ago) rather than be squad fillers. We have an excellent Academy for that.

As the squad stands we're not an excellent loan or two away from having a good Championship team, which I think is the main complaint.

Agreed on this.

One or two that go into the first 11 is preferable to 5 squad players.

Look at last seasons crop:

Chrisene - used as back up left back

Ayari - used as cover

Billy the kid - emergency cover

Moran - used a lot earlier in the season but wasn't up to it. barely featured 2nd half of the season. 

Siggy - was clearly loaned till it could be made permanent. Fell out of favour under eustace. 

A lot will depend on what is available and where we have holes that need filling. A JpVH, an elliot or an Armstrong would go down a treat. Quality first then quantity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's a fair point, but loans are meant to push your squad over the top (see Diallo at Sunderland a couple of years ago) rather than be squad fillers. We have an excellent Academy for that.

As the squad stands we're not an excellent loan or two away from having a good Championship team, which I think is the main complaint.

Looking at the other end of the table, and perhaps more relevant to our current circumstances, a couple good loans can be what keeps a middling team from getting relegated...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

All seems to have gone very quiet on the transfer front.

I personally thought it was obvious that it would.

After a crazy week I don't see any movement until the last week of the window now.

By and large it's just another sticking plaster job that will need doing again in 12 months.

Spending on wages will hopefully keep us up another season but it needs regular re-investment of fees into the squad to rebuild it sustainably.

Millions in wages on 12 month contracts is money down the bog never to be seen again by this time next year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Fair enough, but in terms of game time/standing within the squad (practically none under Eustace), Telalovic could be seen as being replaced by Vale, who wasn't here last season

Correct. Although Vale has proven himself to not be capable at this level. So replacing and unknown player with a known incapable player isn’t wise. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alexanders said:

I have seen way to many clubs struggling because they splash out cash on signings and inflating wages. 

I like that we are taking a conservative approach, buying cheapish with potential sale-on instead. 

Its beyond conservative to bring in the money we have and spend the peanuts we have. No one is suggesting that we spend wildly on massive inflated fees and inflated wages.

If we bought a number of players for cheap fees, cheaper wages etc to polish up then that would be fine, but we havent. Weve bought 2 strikers, one at 26 and one at 28 year olds so limited resale. If we then go on to buy a keeper, a midfielder, a couple of wingers and a full back or two again for small fees, perhaps some from abroad, cheaper wages, then yes there are  

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Its not that he needs replacing. People go down the rabbit hole of comparing like for like year on year. None of the likes of Telalovic, Koumetio etc particularly need replacing such was their non existent contribution.

But its more the fact that our squad was and is tiny full stop. 

We have one senior right back, one senior left back, one senior (and crap) goalkeeper, 3 senior midfielders, very little out wide of the required standard. Those who say x and y dont need replacing, maybe not individually, but that argument would only work if those players were in addition to an already deep and quality squad, and it was just deadwood on top of that.

• Like 1