BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

15 hours ago, Andy said:

In fairness on Hirst - he looked awful for us, when he did get a chance.

Soft, weak, terrible first touch and couldn't even score from the penalty spot.

He's gone on to do a decent job for Ipswich, but he was horrible for us.

To be fair Hirst didn't even stand out with the U23s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

Despite all of the bollocks that goes on here, it's actually a fantastic place for young talent to make a name for themselves.

Instead of loaning out our best kids, we play them in the country's second toughest division.

Our owners won't spend money on players, so Academy players are guaranteed first-team minutes, even if they're not quite good enough.

Aside that though, if I was at a Club that spent 8 years moulding me into a top prospect - i'd be very loyal and grateful, despite not supporting them. Would give them at least a couple of years.

As opposed to say, Phillips, who chose to leave, got 8 times his salary and then loaned out to plan more games for Plymouth than he was for us in the same league? 

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

As opposed to say, Phillips, who chose to leave, got 8 times his salary and then loaned out to plan more games for Plymouth than he was for us in the same league? 

Where do you think Phillips will be playing next season ?

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

He was a year older when he played for Plymouth. At that stage in your development that makes all the difference in the world. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, J*B said:

Taking supporting Rovers out of the mix here - because he doesn't - what about the last 12-months would make the 15 version of yourself think it wise to commit to Rovers in what is a very short career where key decisions have a huge impact?

I'd probably give Adam Wharton a call and ask if he regrets sticking around with his home town club for a few years.

He might not pick up though, I think he's currently busy training with England. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Where do you think Phillips will be playing next season ?

Another championship team, likely similar to us 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

The kids (U12) pricing is clearly a big success story and thats where they catch the bug. I'd argue they become a fan is a little later. When you crunch the cheapest EB prices based on an adult and 13 year old:

Adult & 11-18 = £425 @ PNE

Adult & 12-18 at Ewood = £405 @ Rovers

£10 Waggott Tax

Rovers are £10 cheaper than PNE for an adult and child. 

Come Phase 3, the prices for an adult and 13 year old at Rovers is £574, plus £10 Waggott Tax, making the final price £179 more expensive than Early Bird and £14 more expensive than PNE. 

Regardless of my issues on pricing - i.e. even with the £30 discount (£30 is not the difference between a really expensive ticket and a really affordable one), the bigger issues for me are:

1) If Rovers are happy to sell a seat for £349 in May, why is the price £100 more expensive in July? How many people do they expect to pay £100 extra in July for the same product? What makes it more expensive later?

2) If they couldn't release STs earlier due to not knowing what league we are in and submitting budgets for approval to Venkys - why didn't they extend the early bird to counter this?

I guarantee there is record low uptake this year and for me that is down to:

Nobody know what time the games will be on - not the clubs fault

Everyone is thoroughly pissed off with Waggott, Venkys and Pasha - the clubs fault

If they couldn't afford a ST in the 4-week period of early bird then they're being asked to pay £100+ more for the exact same product - the clubs fault

image.jpeg

I’m no fan of the whole early bird thing, but it seems absolutely standard across football for some reason. We pushed on making season tickets available at a pro ratad rate right the way through the season.

I think there’s a lot of work to be done on making attending games more attractive. Watching on TV is definitely an inferior experience, but every game at Ewood needs to be treated like a major event to get people off their sofa and in to the stands, particularly with the new TV deal.

There is obviously a way to go, but the pricing has certainly taken a move in the right direction, particularly with the focus on affordability for younger fans. This will offset some of the attrition that will undoubtedly occur, particularly in terms of numbers. They could halve the price of all tickets across the board and we’d still get nowhere near to selling out Ewood - people have plenty of reasons they wouldn’t buy them including all of the ones you’ve stated above and more. I expect a higher number of new season ticket holders than normal this year though, along with a decrease in renewals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I expect a higher number of new season ticket holders than normal this year though, along with a decrease in renewals.

I really hope this is the case, but I would be astonished if it was.

10 minutes ago, J*B said:

Another championship team, likely similar to us 

If he stayed he would have ended up playing quite a bit for us last season - and could have put himself in the shop window for lower/mid PL Clubs, who would actually play him.

He'd have probably been offered a new contract with a nice pay rise too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, J*B said:

As I've covered in the U21 thread, I'm confident Phillips would have played as many or more games here than he did at Plymouth. He was awfully young last season and was bound to develop and get a chance when injuries and suspensions hit. No need to sign McFadz then. Then he could have moved to a club for a proper fee and been earning about 30 times his salary, with more chance of breaking into the Prem team he moved to. Ya know, like a certain Adam Wharton.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

If he stayed he would have ended up playing quite a bit for us last season - and could have put himself in the shop window for lower/mid PL Clubs, who would actually play him.

He'd have probably been offered a new contract with a nice pay rise too.

What does he gain from that? He would have lost 2 years of 8 times his salary. He's already contracted to a top premier league club. He was Plymouth's young POTS (from memory, might be wrong) and will have the opportunity to go to a club at least as good again this year. If he performs well again he will get a loan to a top championship club then an opportunity to either prove himself at Spurs, or get a loan to a bottom third Premier League club. All the while earning 20K a week. 

I think there will be an increase on the number of season tickets sold but I also believe that the increase will largely be down to the number of new under 12 tickets. I have spoken to quite a few people who will be buying them for their kids/grandkids simply because it works out at £1 per game. Undoubtedly Waggott and Read will positively spin it. It would be nice to know what the actual demographic of sales is when the tickets go off sale.

• Like 1

Can't believe anyone thinks that Phillips to Spurs was a bad career move.

8 times his salary, and will get loaned out to play in this league anyway.

Absolute no brainer.

Same with Finneron, will earn a lot more money by jumping to Newcastle now and likely to be playing in this league in a few years on loan anyway.

Infact, I would wager that by the time Finneron is 18 he will be playing regularly for a team at a higher level than we're at.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

What does he gain from that? He would have lost 2 years of 8 times his salary. He's already contracted to a top premier league club. He was Plymouth's young POTS (from memory, might be wrong) and will have the opportunity to go to a club at least as good again this year. If he performs well again he will get a loan to a top championship club then an opportunity to either prove himself at Spurs, or get a loan to a bottom third Premier League club. All the while earning 20K a week. 

Do we really know he's on 20k a week? 

31 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Can't believe anyone thinks that Phillips to Spurs was a bad career move.

8 times his salary, and will get loaned out to play in this league anyway.

Absolute no brainer.

Same with Finneron, will earn a lot more money by jumping to Newcastle now and likely to be playing in this league in a few years on loan anyway.

Infact, I would wager that by the time Finneron is 18 he will be playing regularly for a team at a higher level than we're at.

Finneran can only sign a scholar contract. So Newcastle can not pay above a certain amount. This ruling makes it equal across the board for all sides. They can not offer any incentives either like houses,Jobs, they will be under embargo if they do as these things are audited regular. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

As I've covered in the U21 thread, I'm confident Phillips would have played as many or more games here than he did at Plymouth. He was awfully young last season and was bound to develop and get a chance when injuries and suspensions hit. No need to sign McFadz then. Then he could have moved to a club for a proper fee and been earning about 30 times his salary, with more chance of breaking into the Prem team he moved to. Ya know, like a certain Adam Wharton.

I think McFadzean was signed mainly for his experience so I dont necessarily think that having Phillips would have closed that signing off.

25 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Screenshot_20240530-171722.png

That account is one of many that just generates random and fictional rumours at this time of year.

16 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Finneran can only sign a scholar contract. So Newcastle can not pay above a certain amount. This ruling makes it equal across the board for all sides. They can not offer any incentives either like houses,Jobs, they will be under embargo if they do as these things are audited regular. 

unless he`s the second coming of messi (highly unlikely) being in a premier league set up with a massive squad,he`s unlikely to play at all before he`s 20,he might not make it at all and disapear into the football wilderness,he`ll be well advised to learn his trade here

• Like 2