BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

3 hours ago, martonrover said:

Yes, my opinion, which is how a message board works.

The likelihood is that we are in limbo, which is pretty much what your post insinuated .

When a company in any industry has an ongoing high turnover of staff, it’s a sure sign of problems.

high turnover of staff? really, Some of the staff have been there for 20 years plus. 

Footballing staff, there will always been natural turn over in staff for various. 

Also we had the same CEO for 6 years plus, Cheston was here for around 10 years and club secretary since our relegation from PL to championship.  Yes we have just replace with experience people. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

If we were to spend £5M it might keep us in the Championship.

We need more than that to be a serious contender.

Not a season to look forward to.

Most teams last season didn't spend more than £5m net spend 

Championship - Transfers 23/24 | Transfermarkt

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

Another center-half

Another center-half, just what we need.

we need another centre back with Wharton out long term

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

With a new head of recruitment coming in, it’s just as plausible to suggest the staff leaving are going where they are wanted. The new head of recruitment might want his own scouts in place. 

It’s not really an issue unless they aren’t replaced, which none of us know isn’t going to happen. 

Depends what this new Recruitment guy is in charge of and what's his role is. 

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

I’m not sure £5m is that far fetched. We spent £4.5m two summers ago. If the funding issue is sorted as the club have said, allied to the fact we are owed money for Wharton and Raya, then £5m seems a reasonable guess. 

exactly. People will choose to be the way they are but I think we spend some money, But more importantly we need to improve the squad whether its low fee signings or free transfers or loans or combined of the 3(which I think is likely)

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

high turnover of staff? really, Some of the staff have been there for 20 years plus. 

Footballing staff, there will always been natural turn over in staff for various. 

Also we had the same CEO for 6 years plus, Cheston was here for around 10 years and club secretary since our relegation from PL to championship.  Yes we have just replace with experience people. 

A high turnover at the sharp end of the structure, ie those at the coalface on the footballing side.

The last reboot was only two years ago. A stable structure is essential for any chance of progression.

We don’t want Waggott here. He is part of the problem. 

32 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Wonder if Jo savage is on his way to Rovers? 

Quick search on him has uncovered links to Alex Neill. Neill amongst favourites for Birmingham job so maybe he's headed there to replace Park who's headed here!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Championship - Transfers 23/24 | Transfermarkt

we need another centre back with Wharton out long term

Most clubs havent sold their best player for a club record fee, are not about to receive a decent sum on a sell on clause, have not recently sold a very good goalkeper, are not about to probably sell their only goalscorer having let their only other goalscorer leave for free.

Mind you, most owners arent as disinterested and as embroiled in legal issues.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

If it were football manager and we actually were good at player trading my moves would be

• Pickering sold and replaced
  • Hyam sold and replaced
  • Pears sold and replaced 
  • Wahlstedt sold and replaced 
  • Garrett sold and replaced 
  • Sigursson sold and replaced 
  • Gallagher sold and replaced 
  • Markanday sold and replaced 
  • Telalovi sold and replaced
  • Hedges sold and replaced

I don't rate any of the above players - so need replacing.

Then bring in additionally:

• 1 RB
  • 2 CMs
  • 2 RW
  • 1 LW
  • 2 ST

Just to actually make this a championship squad

The players you want to sell wouldn't bring in enough money to bring in replacements that were particularly any better, not with our scouting. Let alone bring in the additional ones you mention.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly. People will choose to be the way they are but I think we spend some money, But more importantly we need to improve the squad whether its low fee signings or free transfers or loans or combined of the 3(which I think is likely)

People will choose to be the way they are, indeed. You do realise that your track record of predicted spend pretty much never matches the actual spend, right? Possible exception of the summer of 2022 where we spent a little, but I feel like you expected around 10 million spent. Hard to remember 2 years back though.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The "plan" to use the academy players is actually just to cut costs. Over reliance on academy graduates means less money spent on bringing players in. In the last 2 years, we have not signed players "to not block the pathways" of Batty, Vale and Garrett as 3 examples who unfortunately werent up to the standard.

Rubbish, we are very good at developing players over the years as we have shown and we are continue to do so. We aren't over reliance on academy graduates at all, but we actually bring through good talent players good enough for Championship football. Garrett is decent enough and improving. We have some good young players coming through like Tyjon, Atcheson, Gilsenan and Duru just to names some exciting prospects

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If we are reliant on frees this summer having received a club record fee for Wharton and with the Raya sell on and likely Szmodics sale, then it wouldnt be something to be excited about and we would be heading one way.

The free agent pool especially domestically is a limited pool. In the main those released are because they either arent good enough, are too injury prone or too old. Any rare exceptions will be able to demand high wages. You see the names mentioned, people like Wildsmith and Murphy who have had a decent spell in League 1 but struggled in the Championship before,  or players like Tyrese Campbell and Docherty who was linked, players that average Championship sides decided weren't worth keeping. They are unlikely to make a significant difference.

I think Campbell would improve our forward line, Maybe he just need the right head coach to get the best out of him.

On Wildsmith, He is 28 years old and just be part of promotion winner team and kept 20 clean sheets in 40 games and available on free. I don't know alot about him but if we have small budget and we want to spend most of that money on quality goalscorer striker then him being a free might be worth a gamble.

On Murphy, I would look at him as squad player and replacing Sigurdsson who I think will go given he only has 12 months left on his contract. 

44 minutes ago, rigger said:

Another center-half

Another center-half, just what we need.

He is a right back and a superb one at that. I would be very surprised to see him leave on loan to a championship club, he is premier league ready- maybe not Chelsea ready just yet.

18 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

I’d imagine the head of recruitment will be in charge of recruitment. 

We already have a head of recruitment in Sean Kimberley who in charge of scouting, Sean Kimberley makes Rovers return | rovers.co.uk

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Most clubs havent sold their best player for a club record fee, are not about to receive a decent sum on a sell on clause, have not recently sold a very good goalkeper, are not about to probably sell their only goalscorer having let their only other goalscorer leave for free.

Coventry sold their best players and reinvested that money into the squad revamp last summer. Boro sold their best striker and goalscorer to Ajax or QPR sold their best keeper last summer to championship team. 

So clubs do sell their best players and sign good replacements. 

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do you think that's a good thing considering who it is?

did I say it a good thing? I think I have been more than clear what my thoughts are on the CEO and the commercial side of the club to tell you your answer to your question

13 minutes ago, imy9 said:

He is a right back and a superb one at that. I would be very surprised to see him leave on loan to a championship club, he is premier league ready- maybe not Chelsea ready just yet.

What we need is championship ready players.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

did I say it a good thing? I think I have been more than clear what my thoughts are on the CEO and the commercial side of the club to tell you your answer to your question

Then why mention it? It might be stability in one area of the staff, but it's the area we don't want stability because the current incumbent is dogshit, and is probably a good portion of the reason other staff turnover is high. The fact we have had the same useless CEO for 6 years is part of the problem.

• Like 1

Imagine being a scout and spending all year studying certain players then you're told there was never actually any money to buy them.

Or how about spending a year studying players like Maguire and Brierley, only for someone to "forget" to press submit.

Now you may understand why scouts are leaving, no point working hard, watching games, videos, stats all year to find players that we'll never buy.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Then why mention it? It might be stability in one area of the staff, but it's the area we don't want stability because the current incumbent is dogshit, and is probably a good portion of the reason other staff turnover is high. The fact we have had the same useless CEO for 6 years is part of the problem.

you have already answered your own question, so why ask?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

you have already answered your own question, so why ask?

I haven't. You've undermined your argument but don't seem to be able to see it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fella you need to start using your brain. We were the 4th worst team in the league last year, arguably worse. 

Our squad is far pooper than "most teams", and will get worse before the end of the window without investment way beyond £5m. It's not happening but this squad needs at least £15m investment to be competitive.

• Like 1