BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 hour ago, superniko said:

If the young lad goes to Newcastle it will leave a real bitter taste in the mouth. 
Even Phillips at least signed a contract which netted us a few million and we were done over there too. He’s looks a messiah compared to this. 

If he does leave, I’d wish nothing but the worst for his career anyway. Shocking loyalty to the club that has developed you. 

This is becoming all too frequent it's like raid our academy now before they even become first teams, probably because we've been more proactive in getting lads tied down recently.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If you own a Championship club, losses are par for the course, even if you have a good commercial side. The only way out is promotion. The way to generate money to invest is by selling players, we manage that part (sometimes, when players don't run their deals down) but money to reinvest never materialises.

I agree that half the money should be reinvested. The thing is, it never is with Venkys. You seem keen to defend them by mentioning the losses but that isn't an excuse. The thing is, when you reinvest, then if you do it properly, you then potentially can profit on those players and the cycle continues anyway.

Any bang average striker would improve us in that we only have one senior striker at the football club who himself is a bottom half Championship standard one.

The problem this summer is the money can't be reinvested into the squad. It is needed to pay bills, wages & HMRC.

The Owners can't send any money due the restrictions from their Investigation by the Enforcement Directorate, without applying to the court. Next hearing is scheduled for Aug 20th so until (at least) then it is illegal for them to send any money.

This means the club has to use its own funds (generated from transfers) to pay all of it's operational running costs.

If the date is delayed again or they get refused permission to transfer running costs, we will only be playing next season until the emergency credit runs out in the meter. 

So the discussion about reinvesting transfer income or not seems fairly pointless.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

Just frustrating that we pay for cat 1 status and still get best talent cherry picked. Personally I would rather spend the 1.5m on someone to add to the squad. Many clubs still get by without it

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Just frustrating that we pay for cat 1 status and still get best talent cherry picked. Personally I would rather spend the 1.5m on someone to add to the squad. Many clubs still get by without it

I thought last season it would have been better to keep him well out of the limelight and try to keep him well hidden at the club until professional contracts are signed, instead we needlessly put him on the bench a few times which attracted a lot of attention because of his incredibly young age

We basically put him in the shop window and did his agents job for him. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I thought last season it would have been better to keep him well out of the limelight and try to keep him well hidden at the club until professional contracts are signed, instead we needlessly put him on the bench a few times which attracted a lot of attention because of his incredibly young age

We basically put him in the shop window and did his agents job for him. 

Nah, the football clubs know who the standout Academy players are already. 

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If you can call 500k fees a war chest 😄

I'll take a punt and say any tiny budget will be swallowed up in wages for experienced over aged players who are mates of Eustace and Waggot.

Waggot what he wants - he's close to retirement. Eustace can't afford to fail at Rovers so I doubt he's green lighting transfers for players he knows are past it. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

How much would Rankin-Costello, Scott Wharton , Hayden Carter,Lewis Travis ,John Buckley etc cost us to buy?A lot more than £1.5m is my guess

If we didn't have an academy we wouldn't have received a record transfer fee as A.Wharton would have been in someone else's academy.

It's disheartening that Finnernan  will leave and what happened with Phillips but regardless the academy is the one good thing the club still has going for it ,yet you and other posters think we would be better off doing away with it?

Sorry but that is madness , especially if we did do away with Cat 1 the savings wouldn't go into the first team..it would go towards running costs 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They put that money back into the squad. 

That is what I would like Rovers to do when we can allow it. I came up with a plan before about us using some of it towards Transfer funds, increase the wage budget, use some of it to improve training ground and academy facilities 

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Amazingly the Chadster still thinks this is a well run club aside from ‘Waggott needs to get better on the commercial side’.

(Well, maybe not that amazing).

No I don't think we are well run club as we should be for a club like Rovers and they are number of problems including Commercial side, The atmosphere within the stadium on match days, poor food options or drink options, before this season, the ticket prices for under 16's, Also the lack of communication from our CEO since the season ends towards the fans base and what the plan is for the summer and Eustace going forward. Our CEO should have done at least interview with Rovers TV and communicate with us the fans. We see some improve with stadium music with @Miller11 being involve and trying to improve the stadium atmosphere

2 hours ago, superniko said:

If the young lad goes to Newcastle it will leave a real bitter taste in the mouth. 
Even Phillips at least signed a contract which netted us a few million and we were done over there too. He’s looks a messiah compared to this. 

If he does leave, I’d wish nothing but the worst for his career anyway. Shocking loyalty to the club that has developed you. 

It is wrong and the system is broken but we have done the same to clubs lower down the football pyramid so we have no cause for complaint. 

Igor Tyjon being the most recent example. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I don't think we are well run club as we should be for a club like Rovers and they are number of problems including Commercial side, The atmosphere within the stadium on match days, poor food options or drink options, before this season, the ticket prices for under 16's, Also the lack of communication from our CEO since the season ends towards the fans base and what the plan is for the summer and Eustace going forward. Our CEO should have done at least interview with Rovers TV and communicate with us the fans. We see some improve with stadium music with @Miller11 being involve and trying to improve the stadium atmosphere

So like I said your issues are with the commercial side - no arguments from me there.

But the football side you seem happy enough.

Edited by Mattyblue

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Waggot what he wants - he's close to retirement. Eustace can't afford to fail at Rovers so I doubt he's green lighting transfers for players he knows are past it. 

Eustace only remit is stay up whilst continuing using a lot of young and loaned in players.

Hes already beat the drum for recruiting experience with what little he might have available, club already talking to Mcfadz who has other offers so won't play for peanuts.

Also Ruddy is nailed on imo IF the Vs will sign it off.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think they did necessarily think Batty was ready, as it isn't the only example. In fact, Tomasson was desperate for more players and made no secret of it. But they aren't going to come out and say, we can't afford a left back so we have no choice.

looking back now(using what we now know and hindsight), We should have part ways as JDT offered his resignation cos the original plan changed and what the targets were last summer. Every head coach/managers will always want more players but clubs have to live within budgets and head coach must understand that. 

I don't think we ever look for left back last summer. 

If you own a Championship club, losses are par for the course, even if you have a good commercial side. The only way out is promotion. The way to generate money to invest is by selling players, we manage that part (sometimes, when players don't run their deals down) but money to reinvest never materialises.

Our commercial side is poor, lack of sponsors around the ground, shirt sponsor, etc. 

I agree that half the money should be reinvested. The thing is, it never is with Venkys. You seem keen to defend them by mentioning the losses but that isn't an excuse. The thing is, when you reinvest, then if you do it properly, you then potentially can profit on those players and the cycle continues anyway.

I agree with you that Venkys don't reinvest the money we earned from player sales and that is where the problem is. They don't understand to work a proper football model and how we do it properly

Any bang average striker would improve us in that we only have one senior striker at the football club who himself is a bottom half Championship standard one.

We know we need goalscorer striker. That has to be Eustace's number 1 priority this summer of our transfer business. I would like to see this has our first summer signing  

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

How much would Rankin-Costello, Scott Wharton , Hayden Carter,Lewis Travis ,John Buckley etc cost us to buy?A lot more than £1.5m is my guess

If we didn't have an academy we wouldn't have received a record transfer fee as A.Wharton would have been in someone else's academy.

It's disheartening that Finnernan  will leave and what happened with Phillips but regardless the academy is the one good thing the club still has going for it ,yet you and other posters think we would be better off doing away with it?

Sorry but that is madness , especially if we did do away with Cat 1 the savings wouldn't go into the first team..it would go towards running costs 

Once again I rushed my post and did not put my point across. What are the benefits of having a cat 1 academy apart from being in the u18 s and 21s premier league. There should be more protection for our players if we are only going to lose them at the vital stage. Just read that it enables us to be able to bring in players nationally instead of the 90 minute ruling. So the likes of Wharton and Buckley, Travis would all fall within the 90 minute ruling so would of been eligible to be in our academy without cat 1 status

Edited by Rover8T4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

looking back now(using what we now know and hindsight), We should have part ways as JDT offered his resignation cos the original plan changed and what the targets were last summer. Every head coach/managers will always want more players but clubs have to live within budgets and head coach must understand that. 

Our commercial side is poor, lack of sponsors around the ground, shirt sponsor, etc. 

I agree with you that Venkys don't reinvest the money we earned from player sales and that is where the problem is. They don't understand to work a proper football model and how we do it properly

We know we need goalscorer striker. That has to be Eustace's number 1 priority this summer of our transfer business. I would like to see this has our first summer signing  

a decent goalkeeper is equally important

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So like I said your issues are with the commercial side - no arguments from me there.

But the football side you seem happy enough.

Not just the commercial side, but the communication with the fan based, 

I am happy with Eustace has our Head coach. That's the footballing side, We have to see who we appointment and whether they have good track record or not

Posted (edited)

So it’s all about the manager now? Thought that’s not what modern football is?

End of the day if you think we are selling a few more advertising boards and a better sponsor away from being a well run club, then we obviously have different standards.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Once again I rushed my post and did not put my point across. What are the benefits of having a cat 1 academy apart from being in the u18 s and 21s premier league. There should be more protection for our players if we are only going to lose them at the vital stage. Just read that it enables us to be able to bring in players nationally instead of the 90 minute ruling. 

Being Cat1 will also  make us more attractive to players .

The academy is doing fine out.Premier league clubs also lose top talents like finnernan to other premier league clubs for next to nothing.

We took Tyjon from Rochdale.

I agree there should be more protection but still I wouldn't be taking us out of CAT 1 we are producing enough players to make the cost more than worthwhile 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Eustace only remit is stay up whilst continuing using a lot of young and loaned in players.

Hes already beat the drum for recruiting experience with what little he might have available, club already talking to Mcfadz who has other offers so won't play for peanuts.

Also Ruddy is nailed on imo IF the Vs will sign it off.

I guess it depends what length of contract he wants. Last summer the errant ones wouldn't sign Baath because he wanted a two year deal and they wouldn't agree due to his age and there wouldn't be any resale value. It probably depends what this season's 'project' is as last season's disappeared rapidly in January.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So it’s all about the manager now? Thought that’s not what modern football is?

End of the day if you think we are selling a few more advertising boards and a better sponsor away from being a well run club, then we obviously have different standards.

what are you even going on about cos you have lost me now? 

Until we bring in these 2 new guys to replace GB as DoF. I am happy with Eustace as head coach and think he will show why people rate him. Yes our recruitment need to much better in terms of quality goalscorer striker and finding better loan signings. We are about 7/8 signings away from having a good championship squad. 

Its not just about the commercial side of the club but better communicate with fans for once, getting more fans in regularly and growing the fan base exactly why I like the under 18's ST prices which is when you need to get fans interested in Rovers and regularly attending 

Posted (edited)

😅 As people have said he gives us good as he gets!

So we get some fellas in as DoF and you are happy. Fair enough, like I said if you think the football side of this club is doing well then we obviously have different standards.

Though you obviously don’t really believe that and you actually agree the football side isn’t good either - as recruitment ‘needs to be much better’ and we are ‘7/8 players away’ from a good second division squad… yeah, that’s quite a lot!

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I totally agree that the commercial side etc (including match day experience and communication etc) needs an overhaul, you seem to have total focus on that though as if its the main and only issue.

You clearly dont think the footballing side of things is all good, thats not just the manager and staff. You think that we basically need a new teams worth of players and youll be hard pushed not to find anyone who agrees, its clear.

That comes from losing key players and not seeing any money being reinvested. I feel like its tunnel vision focusing solely on the commercial side when any additional income would be dwarved by even having a fraction of the sales proceeds available to reinvest. You want £5m available, even that seems very unlikely but just for perspective, that is a quarter of the Wharton sale, whereas to generate that additionally through commercial avenues would probably take even the best commercial team 2 or 3 years, so that isnt the main issue.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I totally agree that the commercial side etc (including match day experience and communication etc) needs an overhaul, you seem to have total focus on that though as if its the main and only issue.

You clearly dont think the footballing side of things is all good, thats not just the manager and staff. You think that we basically need a new teams worth of players and youll be hard pushed not to find anyone who agrees, its clear.

That comes from losing key players and not seeing any money being reinvested. I feel like its tunnel vision focusing solely on the commercial side when any additional income would be dwarved by even having a fraction of the sales proceeds available to reinvest. You want £5m available, even that seems very unlikely but just for perspective, that is a quarter of the Wharton sale, whereas to generate that additionally through commercial avenues would probably take even the best commercial team 2 or 3 years, so that isnt the main issue.

No the main issue is giving Eustace a good solid championship quality squad. We need 7 or 8 signings to add to what we already have and some good young players we can add to that core. I wouldn't McFadzean or Fleck as new signings either. With the main 3 areas for me is a championship quality goalscorer striker, Good solid keeper and right winger with pace. 

We need find a better shirt sponsor who would commit to a long term sponsorship deal and commercial right for Rovers. Plus more sponsors around the ground from a range of different companies. Firstly you need an experience commercial head to run the operation to improve Rovers commercial. 

Communication from Rovers need to be much better and much improve from the club. Waggott should have done an interview at least with Rovers TV, explaining everything that is going on with a number of changes to off the field staff, why GB went and will he be replace, what the summer transfer plan is and plan going forward, explaining what they have done with ST's going forward and the strategy going forward,