BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

If Dolan was rapid and had a peak football brain he wouldn't be playing for us. I used to joke that if Jason Roberts could finish he'd be called Drogba. You have to make do with what you've got to a certain extent, and he's shown that he can play at this level and get a goal or two even if he is frustrating.

That said, Dolan is a player I wouldn't object to selling as I think he has the highest perceived value outside the club (fans of other clubs seem to rate him quite highly, at least) compared to his actual ability, I think there's a chance of getting more for him than he is actually worth. Lets be frank though, if we sell him we aren't buying anyone better, we are just hoping that one of the kids can make the step up and be as good or better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i can only deduce that that mama venky and the older members of the family have no interest and probably want shut,it`s their spoilt child,the one with the medallion,that wants to keep going and sees owning a british football club as something to impress his friends

At times I have wondered if it has reached the point where being able to say 'I own a football club and I don't even care about it' has become a flex in its own right.

7 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

If we’ve no budget then I’d of thought we’d of brought a freebie in by now.

Might well be indicative of how cash strapped we are.

Firstly, wage bill might require cutting beyond 25% in order to create 'headroom' for new players (even frees).

Also frees not necessarily cheap with agents' fees, signing-on fees and then wages.

1 hour ago, AspRover said:

If Dolan was rapid and had a peak football brain he wouldn't be playing for us. I used to joke that if Jason Roberts could finish he'd be called Drogba. You have to make do with what you've got to a certain extent, and he's shown that he can play at this level and get a goal or two even if he is frustrating.

That said, Dolan is a player I wouldn't object to selling as I think he has the highest perceived value outside the club (fans of other clubs seem to rate him quite highly, at least) compared to his actual ability, I think there's a chance of getting more for him than he is actually worth. Lets be frank though, if we sell him we aren't buying anyone better, we are just hoping that one of the kids can make the step up and be as good or better.

In my opinion Markanday is better than Dolan.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Yes, because there’s absolutely nothing in it for them. I’m amazed they’ve hung on this long.Β 

But as you touch on, theres been nothing in it for them for a while.

18 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

The usual problem is waiting for Venkys to even decide exactly how low the budget is.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But as you touch on, theres been nothing in it for them for a while.

Β 

Maybe it’s only now that they are willing to accept that reality, rather than deluding themselves that yet another manager/structure change will lead us to the promised land of the PL.Β 

Edited by Forever Blue

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Who's 'we'? Who's actually in charge of that side of things these days?

22 hours ago, Mercer said:

Yes, we do need more sponsorship and also better quality sponsorship.

I agree our commercial department do not seem to cut the mustard.

However, a big, big issue is the product they are trying to sell - Rovers and their brand!!!Β  Good quality companies are very careful with what and who their brand(s) are linked with and they will not throw their money about willy nilly.Β  These companies are looking to increase their own brand awareness and reputation and connect with target audiences mainly within the sporting arena and through tv coverage of games.Β  Sadly, IMO, the shambles Rovers are, makes it a well nigh impossible task to attract big money and sponsorships.

I agree, wicked on the front of your shirt makes you sound like a red devil.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I should hope so considering we got one for free and spent Β£500k on the other - but on the evidence we've seen that simply isn't true at the moment.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

If Dolan did'nt try and bulldoze his way through 3or 4 players, he would be a better player. Maybe 1or 2 then pass the ball, He reminds me of Joe Rothwell, who used to do the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Whoever lands Dolan will soon realise he’s not what they thought he was….Bar his energy/press he is a below par championship player.

If we can get anywhere near 1.5m for him then that is a steal.

We are a below par championship club....

We shouldn't be looking to get rid of player like Dolan because we he have zero funds to replace them with. He's only young, 23yrs old I believe and at times shows flashes of real quality.

Get him signed up.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AspRover said:

Even if he was just rapid he'd be a far more useful player.Β 

4 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

If Dolan did'nt try and bulldoze his way through 3or 4 players, he would be a better player. Maybe 1or 2 then pass the ball, He reminds me of Joe Rothwell, who used to do the same.

I bet Rothwell beats him easily in a footrace.Β 

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I agree, wicked on the front of your shirt makes you sound like a red devil.

β€˜Totally Wicked’ makes it sound like Shaggy off Scooby Doo. Although the other Shaggy (It wasn’t me) might be more in keeping with Swag’s attempt to justify his salaryΒ 

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I should hope so considering we got one for free and spent Β£500k on the other - but on the evidence we've seen that simply isn't true at the moment.

The evidence I have seen, leads me to my conclusion.Β 

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

We are a below par championship club....

We shouldn't be looking to get rid of player like Dolan because we he have zero funds to replace them with. He's only young, 23yrs old I believe and at times shows flashes of real quality.

Get him signed up.

I don't rate Dolan that much but at 22 years old and already with 150 Rovers apps to his name, he's in a good place to kick on and improve over the next few seasons.

It would be classic Rovers to finally get a consistent tune out of him this season and watch him walk for free next summer.

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

His biggest assets are that he brings energy and the ball seems to stick to him. His flaws are obvious,

If he didn't have flaws Dolan wouldn't be here. I think we are better team with Dolan here

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't have and haven't passed an opinion on Park either way. He was only here very briefly and then left again, and is set to come back.

If you think it is good news or bad news then surely there would be a reason behind it.

I will judge Park on the signings we made under him but when he was here last time we made the Van Hecke signing, Khadra and Hedges.Β 

He seems very experience in recruitment and has worked at several different clubs like Celtic and Rangers. When at Celtic, he signed Van Dijk.Β Β 

On Dolan, not sure, his goal record has been pretty similar throughout all 4 seasons. But his poor decision making hasn't improved and when he was quicker, not that he was ever lightning fast, but that was an asset he no longer possesses.

I don't think it would suit him being an old fashioned winger, he is quite slow and has never shown a particular crossing ability.

Most teams don't play with old fashioned wingers But I think he is good player and Is suited to playing from the left side in Eustace's team

Does anyone genuinely believe that Venkys are contemplating selling up, another prediction from that account?

who knows until you know what the owners are thinking

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

It’s very early, there’s only been a couple of players signed by Championship teams so far.Β 

exactly. I would expect a number of free agents to be sign this month. Hopefully we sign 2 or 3 this month. We back in pre season training in 2 weeks.Β 

Folk being way too harsh on Dolan imo. He's not the finished article or anything but he's still only v young & time is on his side to continue to progress. Hell, look at Szmodics as someone who shows you don't have to be defined as the finished article at 22.

He has far more senior apps to his name now than Adam Wharton will do once AW reaches the same age.

Dolan suffers from being a regular starter for us when he should be a a bit more on the fringes. Not his fault that he is called on more than he should be.

Β 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Folk being way too harsh on Dolan imo. He's not the finished article or anything but he's still only v young & time is on his side to continue to progress. Hell, look at Szmodics as someone who shows you don't have to be defined as the finished article at 22.

He has far more senior apps to his name now than Adam Wharton will do once AW reaches the same age.

Dolan suffers from being a regular starter for us when he should be a a bit more on the fringes. Not his fault that he is called on more than he should be.

Β 

I think he had the 2nd most combo of goals and assists last season. His spin and pass to set up Szmodics at Leeds was as good as anything you’d see in the Prem.Β 

My concern would be where to play him to get the best out of him. I think playing him centrally just behind the striker. He’s definitely got ability.Β 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Β 

No one has suggested that Dolan should be the finished article. But the question is, how much has he really improved over 4 years, if at all?

He still makes too many poor decisions in the final third and frustrates with the constant need to do 100 stepovers everytime he gets the ball. He also has lost that burst of acceleration he once had.

I think you are right though, he shouldnt be starting games as regularly as he does.