BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I've no doubt his agent has put his feelers out to get him away from this basket case club. It might be a pay cut, but he's currently rotting away on the bench here behind a clown.

This is an opportunity to rekindle his career.

I'm not sure about that. He'd surely rather try and build his career in England than go back to Scandinavia. He's just not good enough. Simple as that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

The way JDT set up we were so open and the GK got peppered. The damage was already done before Eustace come in, Makes me think how he would of performed for Eustace or other manager from the start. Limit the attacks on goal and could potentially limit mistakes. Good luck to him as like a few have said ok think he will go on to have a good career

If the implication is that Wahlstedt faced so many shots that making mistakes was inevitable then that's rubbish.

Against Watford at home they didn't have a shot first half. Second half they made changes, embarrassed our lack of depth and were getting on top, but Wahlstedt hadn't had much to do when two mistakes cost us the game.

At Hudderfield over Christmas, their second shot on target went right through him. They had 5 on target in total and we conceded 3.

Rotherham at home didn't batter us. We were comfortable but then he came pawing at a corner and conceded.

That's 3 different kind of mistakes in a 2 week period that you would expect a competent Championship keeper to be making far less frequently. He's just not a very reliable goalkeeper. It's nothing to do with us being wide open playing like some kamikazi Keegan-esque attacking unit. If Eustace wants to build his team on a solid defensive foundation, I reckon he wouldn't have wanted to put up with LW either.

Over a period of time Pears makes less 'normal' mistakes per game, but when he does make one it tends to be a proper howler. (no, he's not really good enough either - just the better of the two)

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

If someone is willing to pay roughly what we paid for Wahlstedt then simply take it and move on. Its a risk to hope that he comes good when Rovers can't afford to take risks on players.

I'd much prefer us bring in a solid number one to take over from Pears but I can't see that happening. More likely that someone like Ruddy comes in as backup.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If the implication is that Wahlstedt faced so many shots that making mistakes was inevitable then that's rubbish.

Against Watford at home they didn't have a shot first half. Second half they made changes, embarrassed our lack of depth and were getting on top, but Wahlstedt hadn't had much to do when two mistakes cost us the game.

At Hudderfield over Christmas, their second shot on target went right through him. They had 5 on target in total and we conceded 3.

Rotherham at home didn't batter us. We were comfortable but then he came pawing at a corner and conceded.

That's 3 different kind of mistakes in a 2 week period that you would expect a competent Championship keeper to be making far less frequently. He's just not a very reliable goalkeeper. It's nothing to do with us being wide open playing like some kamikazi Keegan-esque attacking unit. If Eustace wants to build his team on a solid defensive foundation, I reckon he wouldn't have wanted to put up with LW either.

Over a period of time Pears makes less 'normal' mistakes per game, but when he does make one it tends to be a proper howler. (no, he's not really good enough either - just the better of the two)

Fair enough comment. But stating playing open attacking football doesn't make a difference I disagree with. Il have a look at the games mentioned when I get time as your stats mean nothing. Goals conceded could of been clear cut chances. Apart from his personal mistakes that is

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Going into the season with Pears as your #1 is suicide.

Yet at one point last season we were praying for him to be back in.

I did also predict it was too soon for Leo when all the 'but we paid 800k so he's guaranteed number 1' was being banded about.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

I did also predict it was too soon for Leo when all the 'but we paid 800k so he's guaranteed number 1' was being banded about.

Speak for yourself. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Speak for yourself. 

If Broughton had signed him you'd be defending him at every turn 😉

Point i'm making is an 800k highly rated  young raw Swedish keeper with an International cap was more flaky than him so no guarantees there'll be anything better any time soon.  If Pears had stayed fit then despite his own contributions to the goals conceded column we'd probably have been 3 points better off going into the last games.

Not really suicide is it, just not good enough to build a good team on but this season the style will begin a whole lot tighter than last so presumably more protection for him.

I don't buy the idea we'd have been massively better off last season if Pears played over Leo. We weren't better off against Wednesday when he tripped over his own shoelaces, kneed the ball into his own net then berated the bloke who'd given him a 10% overhit backpass.

• Like 8

I know the links to Ruddy aren't exciting at all, but if he came in, he'd be my no.1. He'd make less mistakes than Pears and command his box better. He's just a lot older than you'd want and kicks the can down the road.

The players others have mentioned (Ryan, Rodak) are exactly the types we should be speaking to. Chance to play regularly as a no.1 for a team where if it all comes together, could challenge for playoffs. They'd come in at the top end of our wages and solve one of our key problems. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ageoftherover said:

I don't buy the idea we'd have been massively better off last season if Pears played over Leo. We weren't better off against Wednesday when he tripped over his own shoelaces, kneed the ball into his own net then berated the bloke who'd given him a 10% overhit backpass.

I said 3 points, that's like ONE game where the chances are he wouldn't have let in like Leo did and on the balance of probabilities that's nailed on.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2024/06/11/premier-league-new-boys-ipswich-join-crystal-palace-and-southampton-in-the-hunt-for-welsh-youth-star/

Quite a few clubs and Rovers interested in 18yo centre-back George Nevett at Rochdale.

I wouldn’t be surprised at this one, with Tyjon joining from Rochdale and we all know about Brierley.

40 minutes ago, Polky said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2024/06/11/premier-league-new-boys-ipswich-join-crystal-palace-and-southampton-in-the-hunt-for-welsh-youth-star/

Quite a few clubs and Rovers interested in 18yo centre-back George Nevett at Rochdale.

I wouldn’t be surprised at this one, with Tyjon joining from Rochdale and we all know about Brierley.

A few of my pals that still go up to Rochdale reckon he’s got a bright future.

6 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

Completely agree. Much more experience and can give vital information that Benson couldn't. One would be not to go down too early as Sammi will lob you 👌 I wouldn't be against this move

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Ruddy working with Pears and keeper coaching in general might not be a bad thing he certainly couldn't be a worse number 2 than Leo at this point in time.

We dont need a number 2/coach hybrid to help Pears as if he is a really young but really talented number 1. Hes crap.

We need a first choice and if we dont get one then it will be infuriating. Especially if any club is foolish enough to give us money for Wahlstedt, there is no excuse. Ruddy is past it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rovers11 said:

I'm not sure about that. He'd surely rather try and build his career in England than go back to Scandinavia. He's just not good enough. Simple as that.

he struggles with the intensity and physicallity of the english game,best need get back what we paid for him and move on,sometimes it just does`nt work out

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Ricky said:

Matt Ryan would be a great signing. 

I agree but I hope this doesn’t spiral into a rumour until legit. His name only came up because of me looking at players who were at Brighton when Baker was.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont need a number 2/coach hybrid to help Pears as if he is a really young but really talented number 1. Hes crap.

We need a first choice and if we dont get one then it will be infuriating. Especially if any club is foolish enough to give us money for Wahlstedt, there is no excuse. Ruddy is past it.

You are mistaking this club with a normal one but whilst we are at it someone like Ruddy can offer advice to Pears that Benson can't.  Also what use are Pears and Benson working with another young keeper or Leo compared to someone like Ruddy ?

Some aren't thinking this through properly but the evidence has been in plain sight for years going back to Keeley a former pro doing well with Steele initially and TK doing well with Pears. He'd have learned more working with Kaminski every day than with Benson and his coaching manual i'd wager.

Steele, average to begin with went backwards pretty quick once Ruddy left, Benson did well with another inexperienced kid in Raya. Pears though i reckon has also suffered in perms of progress since TK left although obviously he benefited by getting the jersey. He hasn't improved at all though imo in the last year or so.

Personally i'd get a decent number 1 even if it cost but that isn't happening here so i can see the logic in Eustace wanting Ruddy as a number 2 / coach for the medium term.

I don't agree though with selling Wahlsted and using that money on a contract for Ruddy, i'd get rid of both Leo and Pears and start again even if we had to loan in a decent number 1.

Edited by tomphil

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

An on form Pears pulled off some world class saves to keep us in a few matches from what I saw from the Blackburn End. I think his confidence went towards the end of last season. Can you put the blame on him, when our misfiring strikers heaped pressure on our goalkeeper and defence.we need a decent strikeforce next season, hopefully alongside Szchmodics to take the pressure off our defence and goalkeeper.

Edited by RoversTilliDie

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You are mistaking this club with a normal one but whilst we are at it someone like Ruddy can offer advice to Pears that Benson can't.  Also what use are Pears and Benson working with another young keeper or Leo compared to someone like Ruddy ?

Some aren't thinking this through properly but the evidence has been in plain sight for years going back to Keeley a former pro doing well with Steele initially and TK doing well with Pears. He'd have learned more working with Kaminski every day than with Benson and his coaching manual i'd wager.

Steele, average to begin with went backwards pretty quick once Ruddy left, Benson did well with another inexperienced kid in Raya. Pears though i reckon has also suffered in perms of progress since TK left although obviously he benefited by getting the jersey. He hasn't improved at all though imo in the last year or so.

Personally i'd get a decent number 1 even if it cost but that isn't happening here so i can see the logic in Eustace wanting Ruddy as a number 2 / coach for the medium term.

I don't agree though with selling Wahlsted and using that money on a contract for Ruddy, i'd get rid of both Leo and Pears and start again even if we had to loan in a decent number 1.

The biggest reason why Pears has been exposed is not because Kaminski left. Even if he did learn from him, he wont have forgotten what he learnt. He has been exposed being our number 1 because he just isnt very good, all well and good covering for a few games but over the course of a season he costs us loads of points because he isnt very good. I dont think he would improve just because Ruddy is here.

Theres no alternative to getting a new worthy number 1 considering how poor Pears is and the money weve received. I agree though that we probably wont get someone who is any good, so Pears will cost us points again.

Ruddy mentioned living in Norwich so if he comes I imagine he will be expecting to play.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Just wait for the meltdown when Leo is sold, Ruddy doesn't come and another is promoted to no 2 or a freebie 20 year old punt comes in as back up !

no meltdown from me,if we can recoup what we paid for him it`s a good deal,he is`nt going to cut it in english football,thats clear,i do share your concern on his replacement though,gawd knows who it will be😄

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Just wait for the meltdown when Leo is sold, Ruddy doesn't come and another is promoted to no 2 or a freebie 20 year old punt comes in as back up !

Or more likely Joe Hilton/Jordan Eastham promoted to 2nd choice

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Or more likely Joe Hilton/Jordan Eastham promoted to 2nd choice

Neither are good enough. Although Eastams distribution is very good.

Edited by rigger

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

Neither are good enough. Although Eastams distribution is very good.

I didn't say that either of them were good enough, but it would surprise nobody on here if Leo was sold and one of those two were promoted to 2nd choice in a cost cutting measure

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1