BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

14 minutes ago, ageoftherover said:

As an Australian I love Matt Ryan, but his cock up against Argentina in the WC was as bad as anything I've seen from Leo and Pears. Was the difference in the end too.

Does he make them regularly though or has he shown he can grow out of them and is he world class otherwise ?

Difference with Pears is a lot of his are unforced and unexplainable and regular, in between hes had the odd good game but nothing you wouldn't expect of a pro keeper. 

It's years now since he threw it in the net away at Wigan but no one would bet against it happening again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex l said:

Does anyone have figures from pre-venkys? I'm sure we ran at a loss under the Walker Trust - that's why they didn't want to continue to fund the club. We used to have to sell our best player nearly every season and re-invest, hoping for another player to breakout (Roque, Benni, Bentley, Warnock) to sell for good profit. 

Of course we ran at a loss as did many other clubs they all needed backers even back then but the losses were manageable with the model they then ran.

The reason the Trust wanted rid was post Jack they were cashing in their chips, streamlining their investments and squabbling/parting ways amongst themselves. Nobody was interested in running and funding Rovers so lets not start rewriting history on that to suit a current narrative.

They stopped funding because the club was put up for sale, afterwards they sold the airline and some of them resigned various directorships the info is on companies house.

It's likely the money from the club was shared out between senior family before they moved to Monaco en masse.

• Like 1

Window opens in 2 days and we still haven't even taken John Park on as Head of Recruitment... who's been nailed on to get it for weeks. Things are also now stalling with this Adam Owen chap as Technical Director... plus we still haven't replaced the scouts who recently left.

It's all part of the plan isn't it? They'll try and drag it all out as long as they can - since the reality is that they can't do anything in the market until after the August court date.

I mean, obviously the owners are dying to spend some of the millions we've brought in - but they can't! Not without a Head of Recruitment, without Scouts, without a "Technical Director"... right?

Absolute shambles, we deserve better.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Window opens in 2 days and we still haven't even taken John Park on as Head of Recruitment... who's been nailed on to get it for weeks. Things are also now stalling with this Adam Owen chap as Technical Director... plus we still haven't replaced the scouts who recently left.

It's all part of the plan isn't it? They'll try and drag it all out as long as they can - since the reality is that they can't do anything in the market until after the August court date.

I mean, obviously the owners are dying to spend some of the millions we've brought in - but they can't! Not without a Head of Recruitment, without Scouts, without a "Technical Director"... right?

That's exactly what it is, some will wake up to it one day.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Probably because those tasks with getting these people in the building are all on holiday, nobody gives a stuff in the 'directors' office down there, when has there ever been any urgency for anything ?

Contracts will probably run from July 1st anyway so they'll be sorted the day before knowing that lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Given the rumour started in April. I would say he on a list. First choice? Would he be my first choice? No. I quite like Daniel Iversen or Matthew Ryan. 

I also think other main priority is goalscorer number 9 striker

Iversen did really well at Preston although his career has stalled since. Not sure if he would be available for a reasonable fee either. I imagine Ryan will get a new deal at AZ.

Ruddy IMO would be the result of a lack of scouting infrastructure and potentially finance should we go down that route. Bit like at 5 a side if a couple of the usual lads are unavailable, you are scrambling around to make up the numbers and someone says one of their mates can play. He comes, he is shit but he at least means the game is on. Eustace knows Ruddy, I will get him down if we cant get anyone decent.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Given the rumour started in April. I would say he on a list. First choice? Would he be my first choice? No. I quite like Daniel Iversen or Matthew Ryan. 

I also think other main priority is goalscorer number 9 striker

No, priority is a goalie who doesn't cost us 10 goals / 15 points a season otherwise extra goals from a number 9 could count for very little.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No, priority is a goalie who doesn't cost us 10 goals / 15 points a season otherwise extra goals from a number 9 could count for very little.

Correct.

Sammie's 27 goals were very close to being completely irrelevant, thanks to the numerous howlers by Pears and Wahlstedt.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alex l said:

Does anyone have figures from pre-venkys? I'm sure we ran at a loss under the Walker Trust - that's why they didn't want to continue to fund the club. We used to have to sell our best player nearly every season and re-invest, hoping for another player to breakout (Roque, Benni, Bentley, Warnock) to sell for good profit. 

It was usually 1 or 2 million either way. Some years in the black some in the red. The total debt was about 20 million.

Those operating figures were unheard of at any other club than united and Liverpool. We were the only club other than them to turn a profit.

As soon as venkys arrived the huge losses started and they continued until the fraud investigation got really underway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Owen is thinking of joining us as technical director/guru. 

Where has this Guru nonsense come from and why is it being attached to his job title?  The guy appears to have a really, really average CV (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-owen/profil/trainer/5659) and he seems to flit between being a 'technical director' and an assistant manager for Lee Johnson and Chris Coleman, barely ever staying anywhere longer than a year.

Surely a guru suggests the person in question is a leader or an expert in a certain field, employed or consulted due to their vast experience and knowledge.  This guy just seems to hop from random job to random job.  He does though, appear to be a great self-publicist with his own website (https://aoperformance.co.uk/biography/). 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

A proper club would have had him out on loan first to get him some English game experience.

He'll probably turn out decent in a few years but we just can't afford two dodgy development keepers if we want to stay up.

I'd rather we flogged Pears TBH

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Iversen did really well at Preston although his career has stalled since. Not sure if he would be available for a reasonable fee either. I imagine Ryan will get a new deal at AZ.

Who knows what our budget. You can guess the budget 

Ruddy IMO would be the result of a lack of scouting infrastructure

We were linked with Ruddy in April when our scouts were still there. 

Eustace knows Ruddy, 

That will why we will signing him cos Eustace knows him and can rely on him. 

14 hours ago, KentExile said:

Or more likely Joe Hilton/Jordan Eastham promoted to 2nd choice

IMO this is exactly what will happen. Any money received from Leo will simply disappear per the Wharton money just to keep the lights on. The argument/spin will be that we're no worse off and opportunities are being given.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Owen is thinking of joining us as technical director/guru. 

If this is his actual job title then in writing I'm not going to another game until whoever is responsible is sacked. 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Where has this Guru nonsense come from and why is it being attached to his job title?  The guy appears to have a really, really average CV (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-owen/profil/trainer/5659) and he seems to flit between being a 'technical director' and an assistant manager for Lee Johnson and Chris Coleman, barely ever staying anywhere longer than a year.

Surely a guru suggests the person in question is a leader or an expert in a certain field, employed or consulted due to their vast experience and knowledge.  This guy just seems to hop from random job to random job.  He does though, appear to be a great self-publicist with his own website (https://aoperformance.co.uk/biography/). 

It's a journalistic word to make someone appear more important or knowledgeable than they really are. Rovers have managed for more than 140 years without having a guru and we don't need one now. 

• Like 1