BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Pears is a mid table championship keeper, playing at a mid table championship club, simple as that really. If it wasn't for his performance at Elland Road he'd be a mid table championship keeper playing at a league 1 club!

He deserves credit though in my book, the way he came back from that Wigan performance in the cup a few season ago should be applauded. That had to be a massive confidence drainer, he was awful in that game, but is a much better keeper now.

He has some reasonably good games but there is always an absolute cockup just around the corner. We need a goalkeeper who is consistent and  inspires confidence. Pears does neither.  

• Like 3

I think as time goes on the main worry will be at the other end of the pitch.

The whole set up now is one of 'just get by' and to an extent we can do that with Pears and co but once the goalscorer is gone the really serious issue begins.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Changing Pears wont be the difference in going up or down, you can get by with an average GK which is what he is (see chart above). Thats why I dont care its nothing about excitement.

I must have missed the "points dropped because of keeper fuckup's" chart.

The above graphs show on general stats he's an average GK before you take the mistakes into consideration.

Edited by Hasta

50 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I dont really care about goalkeepers, Pears should be replaced if we can but Id rather put every penny into forwards and wingers.

When Sammy leaves we are going to be lucky to score 10-20 goals over the entire season with the personnel we have available.

Deffo need goalscoring number 9 striker 

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

Most successful teams are based on a good keeper.

Without quality attacking players you don't win games without goals 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don’t win games if your striker needs to score 3 to get a point cos your keeper has thrown 3 in his own net. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 3

Dom Hyam probably made more mistakes in one game against Bristol than Pears did all season yet it barely gets a mention.

Mistakes happen, I'm more concerned with our complete lack of ability to create or score chances without Wharton & Sammy (also possibly minus Dolan and Gallagher if they are sold due to the contract situation).

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Attacks win you games, defence and goalkeepers win you titles. Come on Chaddy.

You can't really "get by" with below average players in any position on the pitch at this level, as others teams will just exploit that weakness. 

The squad needs a ton of work with the goalkeeper and attackers at the forefront of those requirements. 

If we don't adress both positions we'll be at the bottom of the table again, like last season where we had Pears in net but also the Championship leading goalscorer and very nearly went down.

Edited by davulsukur

It’s just part of the game that a keeper can’t afford to make mistakes at the rate of outfield players, as obviously they will get punished far more often.

Pears makes too many basic ones and the number of them isn’t decreasing from what I’ve seen.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

Attacks win you games, defence and goalkeepers win you titles. Come on Chaddy.

Let's be honest both go hand in hand. That's why you need a strong defence with solid keeper but attacking players who can score goals including your number 9 who should be top goalscorer..

Like 94/95 Shearer up front with Flowers in goal and Hendry at the back 

Like under Hughes when we had Friedel in goal, Samba and Nelsen at the back, Santa Cruz and Benni McCarthy up front

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

You can never ever say money won't be an issue here so whether Eustace rates him or not he'll be starting as number 1 again because of that very issue, money.

Unless Leo has a blinding pre season if he's still here but otherwise we make do with what we have in order to have cheaper wages and use money for paying running costs.

I can't see Eustace not having a keeper top of his list, if indeed he wants one. I can't for one second see Eustace making do with Pears, if he doesn't fancy him. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Let's be honest both go hand in hand. That's why you need a strong defence with solid keeper but attacking players who can score goals including your number 9 who should be top goalscorer..

Like 94/95 Shearer up front with Flowers in goal and Hendry at the back 

Like under Hughes when we had Friedel in goal, Samba and Nelsen at the back, Santa Cruz and Benni McCarthy up front

And unlike last season when we had the top scorer in the league but two of the shittest keepers in the league and nearly went down. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

And unlike last season when we had the top scorer in the league but two of the shittest keepers in the league and nearly went down. 

you forgot the unreliable defence.

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

He has some reasonably good games but there is always an absolute cockup just around the corner. We need a goalkeeper who is consistent and  inspires confidence. Pears does neither.  

You're right of course, but they usually come at a price and we've nothing, despite selling the last keeper for almost £3m.

3 hours ago, roverblue said:

Dom Hyam probably made more mistakes in one game against Bristol than Pears did all season yet it barely gets a mention.

Mistakes happen, I'm more concerned with our complete lack of ability to create or score chances without Wharton & Sammy (also possibly minus Dolan and Gallagher if they are sold due to the contract situation).

He absolutely does.

Everyone wants Hyam out?

5 hours ago, MB Rover said:

It’s not always; and doesn’t have to be always a ‘clanger’ from a goalkeeper either. Pears gets beat so fucking easily. There’s so many goals where you think ‘hmmm’ where it just didn’t look like going in. Not every ‘mistake’ has to be a keeper throwing it into his own net (which pears has done multiple times). He’s employed to stop goals and he doesn’t stop enough of them. I can name about 10 goals from the last 2 seasons he has conceded without even thinking where I’ve thought ‘how the fuck has that gone in?’ If any of his defenders would like to hear them please let me know! 

It will be Pears v Kaminski, when we play Luton next season. Wonder who will be favourites.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is crap, relative to Championship standard. Not every player playing at a certain standard is good enough for that standard.

There are a number of reasons why a player might be at a level beyond his ability. A club might be skint and have no choice. A club might be promoted and a player may find the step up too much. A player may be backup yet injuries/player sales mean that he plays far more at a level than his ability would warrant. A manager might have a lapse in judgement. Poor recruitment may lead to players being signed that arent up to it.

In Pears case, he was backup goalkeeper. We sold a considerably better keeper and messed up in signing a terrible replacement, thus almost by default, he became a Championship number 1. Almost certainly the worst in the division, and likely inferior to goalkeepers in the league below. So he is a Championship number 1 but not necessarily of the standard to be a number 1.

Other examples. Telalovic is crap for this level, clearly nowhere near level. Most of Rotherhams team last season was crap and nowhere near the standard. Jason Lowe and Hope Akpan played loads of games at this level for us, they were never good enough. The list goes on.

The mistake against Wednesday (it wasnt a dodgy backpass, there are no excuses) was so bad that it almost distracts from his general ability. As bad as it was, if it was somewhat of an anomaly, it could be written off. But he has made so many terrible mistakes across the course of the season, and he didnt even play every game.

Our issues arent solely Aynslea Pears, we certainly have other problematic areas where we need to improve. But he makes far, far too many unenforced mistakes well beyond the standard of what you would expect from a goalkeeper at this level.

Off the top of my head, he made 2 bad mistakes at Plymouth. He made a bad one at home to Ipswich. There was one at home to Hull where a basic positional error made it very easy for them to score a winner. He made a mess of the second at deepdale. He is not good enough, lets not make the Wednesday one to be anything other than one of many, and anything other than solely his fault.

It was a dodgy backpass, it was a fairly powerful header back to him, i was sat in the jack walker stand right in front of it, but there were no excuses after it he had time to clear it but sliced it into his own net. He lacks confidence which is a handicap.

6 hours ago, M_B said:

What went in Pears' favour last season was his injury. The clamour for Wahlstedt to play resulted in some over the top criticism every time Pears played,some "mistakes" which were highlighted were beyond ridiculous.

Once Wahlstedt had tried his hand, the magnifying glasses were put back in the drawer and we had some more reasonable criticism. He obviously dropped some clangers, but the defence was notably steadier when he came back in,i don't think anyone would argue.

The question is, does Eustace want him? Money wise it shouldn't be a problem, and it should be Eustace's number one priority. For that reason, I would imagine that if Pears starts as his number 1,it will be because Eustace wants him as his number 1.

He spooned the ball into his own net and made no attempt to stop it going in.

He's absolutely awful and we should be getting ris as soon as we can. 

One instance where I wouldn't mind venkys paying someone out 80% of their contract to leave immediately. 

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Pears is a mid table championship keeper, playing at a mid table championship club, simple as that really. If it wasn't for his performance at Elland Road he'd be a mid table championship keeper playing at a league 1 club!

He deserves credit though in my book, the way he came back from that Wigan performance in the cup a few season ago should be applauded. That had to be a massive confidence drainer, he was awful in that game, but is a much better keeper now.

He really isnt mid table Championship standard. He isnt playing for a mid table club unless last season mid table was particularly big, but he was as bad as anyone who played regularly.

4 hours ago, roverblue said:

Hyam got loads of criticism for that horrow show. But to say that Pears didnt make as many mistakes all season is absolute nonsense.

Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Plymouth x 2, Preston, Hull, theres 6 for starters.

49 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He absolutely does.

Everyone wants Hyam out?

Wouldnt go that far.

You want him out. Im not his biggest fan but we cant afford for him to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M_B said:

I can't see Eustace not having a keeper top of his list, if indeed he wants one. I can't for one second see Eustace making do with Pears, if he doesn't fancy him. 

What kind of choices do you see him actually having ?

He can want whatever he wants but he won't get it at Blackburn Rovers and that's why the guy is here, to work with what he has. Does the fact they are going to give a contract to Fleck again if he proves himself fit not tell you where this club is at right now ?

There is NO money.

4 hours ago, roverblue said:

I don't remember Hyam making a dozen goal-costing mistakes against Bristol. Were a whole bunch of those disallowed or something?

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

What kind of choices do you see him actually having ?

He can want whatever he wants but he won't get it at Blackburn Rovers and that's why the guy is here, to work with what he has. Does the fact they are going to give a contract to Fleck again if he proves himself fit not tell you where this club is at right now ?

There is NO money.

Who mentioned money? You're telling me there won't be one new player coming in? 

Edited by M_B

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

Who mentioned money? You're telling me there won't be one new player coming in? 

Tell me how he signs a better keeper than Pears with no transfer fee above maybe a few hundred grand ?

Yes there'll be a few players but non of them will be first choice keepers.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

It was a dodgy backpass, it was a fairly powerful header back to him, i was sat in the jack walker stand right in front of it, but there were no excuses after it he had time to clear it but sliced it into his own net. He lacks confidence which is a handicap.

Header? Was quite a weak backpass, wasnt a bobble, just awful keeping.

2 hours ago, M_B said:

Not sure what you mean by that. Why specifically do you think that Eustace would not stand for not signing a keeper if he wants one?

If we keep Pears as number 1, it might just as easily be down to financial restrictions as a lapse in judgement. Either way, it would be a big lapse in judgement.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tied in knots? You don't half talk some totally utter and completely nonsense. 

You immediately dismissed the Ruddy as it easy link. We were linked with in April btw before the season even finish. 

I have no idea if we are interested in Ruddy either way. It is an easy link, doesnt mean its not plausible.

My point is, you went from wanting a new number 1 as a top priority alongside a striker to now defending Pears and suggesting that we just need competition for him.

In my opinion, and only my opinion. Youve taken the Ruddy link as gospel, probably realise hes hardly a good enough signing, have assumed we will sign him and are defending in advance the fact that we wont be bringing in a good enough number 1, with Ruddy perhaps on par or slightly better at his old age.

You also went from wanting significant price cuts even outlining this per stand to defending the club despite prices well above what you suggested.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Tell me how he signs a better keeper than Pears with no transfer fee above maybe a few hundred grand ?

Yes there'll be a few players but non of them will be first choice keepers.

Shouldn't be difficult to find some better from just about anywhere, according to the thread since yesterday.

Wahlstedt is on his way according to the Telegraph as well.