BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 minute ago, M_B said:

Shouldn't be difficult to find some better from just about anywhere, according to the thread since yesterday.

Wahlstedt is on his way according to the Telegraph as well.

I think Pears is probably a bog standard mid level championship keeper these days so unless they pull a rabbit out the hat there'll be nowt better unless there is investment.

No way is this set up finding another Kaminsky for half a mill.

• Moderation Lead

I really don’t like this re writing of history that people are unreasonable to criticise the litany of mistakes Pears made, because he played well at Elland Road.

Check how many mistakes he made over the course of this season and his Rovers career to date. Aware Wahlstedt has made mistakes as well, in an ideal world, we’d have neither and we’d have a keeper who didn’t make tons of mistakes that cost us points.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think Pears is probably a bog standard mid level championship keeper these days so unless they pull a rabbit out the hat there'll be nowt better unless there is investment.

I dont think he is an average Championship keeper, most keepers dont make the number of mistakes that he makes.

Last season him and Wahlstedt were the worst keepers I saw. The third worst was Ruddy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Header? Was quite a weak backpass, wasnt a bobble, just awful keeping.

Not sure what you mean by that. Why specifically do you think that Eustace would not stand for not signing a keeper if he wants one?

If we keep Pears as number 1, it might just as easily be down to financial restrictions as a lapse in judgement. Either way, it would be a big lapse in judgement.

I have no idea if we are interested in Ruddy either way. It is an easy link, doesnt mean its not plausible.

My point is, you went from wanting a new number 1 as a top priority alongside a striker to now defending Pears and suggesting that we just need competition for him.

In my opinion, and only my opinion. Youve taken the Ruddy link as gospel, probably realise hes hardly a good enough signing, have assumed we will sign him and are defending in advance the fact that we wont be bringing in a good enough number 1, with Ruddy perhaps on par or slightly better at his old age.

You also went from wanting significant price cuts even outlining this per stand to defending the club despite prices well above what you suggested.

Because I know what is coming if Pears is still in goal. There will be multiple signings this summer, despite the club's situation. If Eustace wants a new keeper, he'll get one. If he's still in goal, it will be because Eustace wants him,not because he can't replace him.

There will no doubt be the same lack of acceptance as when Tomasson favoured Pears over Kaminski.

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He is absolutely nowhere near that level and never will be.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think he is an average Championship keeper, most keepers dont make the number of mistakes that he makes.

Last season him and Wahlstedt were the worst keepers I saw. The third worst was Ruddy.

But he's probably better at some things than some other keepers, playing with feet for instance.

The whole style of young keepers has changed in recent years and standards in actual keeping aren't what they used to be, too much emphasis on other stuff instead of just commanding the ball.  Obviously the style of football in general moving away from wingers, long ball, percentage football and all the rest is behind that.

Pears is only a season or so of being a full time keeper when all is said and done, IF and a big IF he cuts out the real howlers he's a bang average developing championship keeper.

Ten a penny in this league.

12 minutes ago, M_B said:

Because I know what is coming if Pears is still in goal. There will be multiple signings this summer, despite the club's situation. If Eustace wants a new keeper, he'll get one. If he's still in goal, it will be because Eustace wants him,not because he can't replace him.

There will no doubt be the same lack of acceptance as when Tomasson favoured Pears over Kaminski.

That's bollocks and you know it really.

What if he wants Ruddy but can't get him ?   What happens then ?

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But he's probably better at some things than some other keepers, playing with feet for instance.

The whole style of young keepers has changed in recent years and standards in actual keeping aren't what they used to be, too much emphasis on other stuff instead of just commanding the ball.  Obviously the style of football in general moving away from wingers, long ball, percentage football and all the rest is behind that.

Pears is only a season or so of being a full time keeper when all is said and done, IF and a big IF he cuts out the real howlers he's a bang average developing championship keeper.

Ten a penny in this league.

It is a big if. As he is, he is a very poor keeper at this level.

I dont think hes particularly impressive with his feet either personally.

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's bollocks and you know it really.

What if he wants Ruddy but can't get him ?   What happens then ?

How is it bollocks? 

If, and when there are multiple signings this summer, why can't one of them be a keeper? I don't understand your logic. 

Just now, M_B said:

How is it bollocks? 

If, and when there are multiple signings this summer, why can't one of them be a keeper? I don't understand your logic. 

That figures.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Tell me how he signs a better keeper than Pears with no transfer fee above maybe a few hundred grand ?

Yes there'll be a few players but non of them will be first choice keepers.

Mat Ryan. Only the one, admittedly…

17 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Goalkeepers that are good with their feet don't do what Pears did against Sheffield Wednesday.

Goalkeepers that are bad with their feet don't do what Pears did against Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Goalkeepers that are good with their feet don't do what Pears did against Sheffield Wednesday.

He failed to do the absolute most basic thing in the game. Kick the ball.

That was an absolutely crucial game for all the wrong reasons and he completely fucked it up.

Get rid now even if we have to pay him out. Awful keeper. If he's our keeper in the coming season we will be relegated.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, rigger said:

Goalkeepers that are bad with their feet don't do what Pears did against Sheffield Wednesday.

Outfield players that go in goal don’t do what Pears did against Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If we keep Pears as number 1, it might just as easily be down to financial restrictions as a lapse in judgement. Either way, it would be a big lapse in judgement.

Or it could be that Eustace has faith in Pears. 

I have no idea if we are interested in Ruddy either way. It is an easy link, doesnt mean its not plausible.

Easy link? Says who? Or it could Eustace knows him and has faith to him

My point is, you went from wanting a new number 1 as a top priority alongside a striker to now defending Pears and suggesting that we just need competition for him.

I still want a new keeper but I don't set them in stone as number 1 and 2 like you do. It's all down form and confident

In my opinion, and only my opinion. Youve taken the Ruddy link as gospel, probably realise hes hardly a good enough signing, have assumed we will sign him and are defending in advance the fact that we wont be bringing in a good enough number 1, with Ruddy perhaps on par or slightly better at his old age.

I don't know if Ruddy would be good signing or not until he is playing in Rovers shirt and playing in games if he signed. 

I haven't amused anything. 

You also went from wanting significant price cuts even outlining this per stand to defending the club despite prices well above what you suggested.

I haven't defending the club at all. I have praised for the club of ST for under 18's and seniors. Adult got 8% drop in the price..is it as much as I wanted? No, but it is a step in the right direction. 

You refused to even answer a simple question whether you have renew your ST despite being asked several times. Why is that? Don't want to admit to renewing your ST or don't want to admit you haven't and won't? Which one is it? 

10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Outfield players that go in goal don’t do what Pears did against Sheffield Wednesday.

If me or my mates had have done that just having a kickabout on the park when we were kids it would be well below the expected standard.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or it could be that Eustace has faith in Pears. 

Easy link? Says who? Or it could Eustace knows him and has faith to him

I still want a new keeper but I don't set them in stone as number 1 and 2 like you do. It's all down form and confident

I don't know if Ruddy would be good signing or not until he is playing in Rovers shirt and playing in games if he signed. 

I haven't amused anything. 

I haven't defending the club at all. I have praised for the club of ST for under 18's and seniors. Adult got 8% drop in the price..is it as much as I wanted? No, but it is a step in the right direction. 

You refused to even answer a simple question whether you have renew your ST despite being asked several times. Why is that? Don't want to admit to renewing your ST or don't want to admit you haven't and won't? Which one is it? 

Cliches about form and deserving to play etc are all well and good. But if we sign a goalkeeper that cannot maintain form sufficient to oust Pears who isnt very good, then it means that we havent signed a very good keeper.

If Eustace decides that he wants Pears as number 1, then its a huge error of judgement on his part.

If Eustace chooses to recommend John Ruddy, then I would also consider that to be a lapse in judgement.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Paul Robinson did it for England against Croatia 

Both were very bad, but Pears' was much worse. Robinson had a slight excuse of a clear bobble over his foot. Pears didnt, and he also had the chance to salvage the mistake before it crossed the line, and failed.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Both were very bad, but Pears' was much worse. Robinson had a slight excuse of a clear bobble over his foot. Pears didnt, and he also had the chance to salvage the mistake before it crossed the line, and failed.

Muric trumped both. 

• Like 1