BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

I’m not suggesting we’re going to go crazy and spend millions and millions but genuinely, we don’t / can’t know right now.

The club have stated their position on ‘talking or negotiating’ with McFadz and Fleck because both were at the club last season. That doesn’t mean we will sign them, I’d imagine there’s 100’s players in talks with clubs. The Ruddy link is 1+1=3 at the moment too…

I appreciate that this is the transfer thread and a place to discuss but why embarrass yourself by having a meltdown about something that hasn’t even happened.

Fwiw 1 I genuinely think we’re in ‘managed decline’ mode and I’ve felt like this since last summer.

So, let’s wait and see! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not suggesting we’re going to go crazy and spend millions and millions but genuinely, we don’t / can’t know right now.

The club have stated their position on ‘talking or negotiating’ with McFadz and Fleck because both were at the club last season. That doesn’t mean we will sign them, I’d imagine there’s 100’s players in talks with clubs. The Ruddy link is 1+1=3 at the moment too…

I appreciate that this is the transfer thread and a place to discuss but why embarrass yourself by having a meltdown about something that hasn’t even happened.

Fwiw 1 I genuinely think we’re in ‘managed decline’ mode and I’ve felt like this since last summer.

So, let’s wait and see! 

I’d say it’s more like “ Mismanaged Decline “.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So you think a transfer spend of less than 20% of money brought in is appropriate or acceptable?

Where does the other £30 million go?

what 30 million. Kaminski and Phillips money has gone as that has to be raised last season as the owners rrequested as GB said in his post Summer interview. 

On Wharton, The first part of the £18m has already be spent. 

Szmodics hasn't be sold yet and I don't know if he will be or not. 

I did post on here not long ago my plan about what I would do in terms of transfer plan of £7m this window and save £3m for January window. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is past it, he's being released by relegated Birmingham at the age of nearly 38. He was shocking at Ewood and suspect whenever else I saw Birmingham on tv. You are doing the groundwork to welcome him because you think he will sign. First the stuff about Eustace knowing him well and now this.

Would you actually say that Ruddy would be a signing that you are HAPPY with?

I would like a goalkeeper who isn't so old and who isn't on the decline. Its not too much to ask for.

I will judge him on his performances in a Rovers shirt if he signed. I don't know whether he would sign here or not. 

I have suggested Daniel Iversen from Leicester and Ben Wilson from Coventry would either of those be acceptable to yourself? 

Also You don't say who you would so go on then who would be your 3 man shortlist for us to sign as our new keeper? names please? 

46 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

The squad desperately needs proper investment, not temporary half-assed signings who are below par, like Ruddy.

I agree we need investment into the squad and I think you can achieve this with £7m with players signings for cash transfers, loan signings and free transfers. We need around 7/8 signings without sales 

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

what 30 million. Kaminski and Phillips money has gone as that has to be raised last season as the owners rrequested as GB said in his post Summer interview. 

On Wharton, The first part of the £18m has already be spent. 

Szmodics hasn't be sold yet and I don't know if he will be or not. 

I did post on here not long ago my plan about what I would do in terms of transfer plan of £7m this window and save £3m for January window. 

What has the Wharton £18 million been spent on? Running costs?

Even if his transfer money has been used towards paying ongoing running costs that money then has to be reinvested by the owners. That's how reinvestment works in football. The owners will have budgeted and had scope within FFP rules to invest a certain amount to meet our costs.

If Wharton had got a serious injury or no interest had materialised in January then they would have had to use their own money instead. So they can do that now instead and fund transfers from their own cash.

If the Wharton money is being used for that instead it leaves space in the owners' budget to put into transfers instead, not simply disappear.

There is no excuse Chaddy yet you are doing Waggott's job for him by firstly believing the nonsense they come out with and secondly repeating it as fact on here refusing to question the narrative.

They've had the best part of £30 million since last summer. Fact. 

They're likely to raise another £15 million this summer from Raya and Szmodics. It will be very surprising indeed if at least one of those deals doesn't happen.

The club will never be in a better position to spend, if it has owners with an ounce of ambition for the club. You love to remind us about FFP rules. Well find me another Championship club bringing in that sort of cash on top of what the owners are already permitted to spend. Find me a club with a smaller wage bill to build on. I bet there's about 3-4 at a push.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What has the Wharton £18 million been spent on?

He was sold a little over 4 months ago. Even if all of our running costs were funded from that cash we'd be well short of £18 million. Unless you are suggesting that our running costs are £18 million per 3-4 months. That's before we factor in all the other income - merchandise, sponsorship, media, ticketing - that will reduce down from that.

Even if his transfer money has been used solely towards paying ongoing running costs that money then has to be reinvested by the owners. That's how reinvestment works in football. The owners will have budgeted and had scope within FFP rules to invest a certain amount to meet our costs.

If Wharton had got a serious injury or no interest had materialised in January then they would have had to use their own money instead. So they can do that now instead and fund transfers from their own cash.

If the Wharton money is being used for that instead it leaves space in the owners' budget to put into transfers instead, not simply disappear.

If no-one else is sold how much do you think we’ll spend this summer on new players?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What has the Wharton £18 million been spent on?

the first instalment of £6m has been used to fund the club in recent months. 

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He was sold a little over 4 months ago. Even if all of our running costs were funded from that cash we'd be well short of £18 million. Unless you are suggesting that our running costs are £18 million per 3-4 months. That's before we factor in all the other income - merchandise, sponsorship, media, ticketing - that will reduce down from that.

no I am not suggesting that at all, cos I believe we will 3 instalments of £6m over 3 instalments which we already had one, So I would used the other £12 million for £7m for summer budget, £3m for January budget, then £1m to the wage budget over 2 seasons. Other money like Raya money, etc cos be used towards running cost, improving the training grounds, academy facilities, etc 

How much would you want to spend this summer? what figure please? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I still think we will spend £7m during this transfer window. 

we need a number of player signings so I am not so downbeat as yourself on signing Ruddy or McFadzean myself. Ruddy was the 4th best shot stopper last season in terms of save percentage last season was 71.2%. 

Sorry Chaddy but where Rovers are concerned I think you live in a magical realm, parallel to our own, known as the 'Otherworld' along with the fairies.

IMO, our spending on fees will not break £1million.  Ruddy's career is done and dusted - a washed-up 38 year old goalie not good enough for a relegated Brum and certainly not feckin good enough for us.

1 hour ago, Rover8T4 said:

Seems the only person who could squeeze money out of these shadow lurkers was Mowbray. 

They shut the vault on him years ago and moved him on when the new even lower biudget model was implemented.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do you place so much importance on Eustace knowing Ruddy well?

He managed him prior to last season when his performances declined to the point that Birmingham fans wanted shut of him. He was the worst keeper not in a Rovers shirt to come to Ewood last season in the league. He is about to turn 38 years old. Who gives a shit how well he knows him. Just would scream of a really lazy, cheap and desperate signing when we are crying out for a proper number 1 who doesnt keep throwing points away and/or is about to collect their pension. We have generated loads of money lately. Its not too big of an ask to expect better than John Ruddy.

And how do you know that McFadzean is a competent coach? 

Lets see what happens on Fleck? Hes broken his leg twice and has a bloody plate in his leg, which lasted 17 minutes of competitive football. Even if he makes it through a bit of training and maybe a friendly or two, so what.

The standards of this football club have never been lower. Linked with signing a soon to be 38 year old keeper released by a relegated side? Oh well, at least hes mates with Eustace. Signing a soon to be 38 year old centre back who requires a total change in shape and style to accomodate? Yeah get him in, player coach. Signing an almost 33 year old midfielder who has barely played in 2 or 3 years having suffered 2 broken legs and now has a plate which couldnt even sustain 20 minutes of competitive action? Oh well, maybe a bit of pre season training without breaking down will disprove all of those concerns.

Forget the players not far off 40 years old, forget the players who have suffered a series of injuries which they clearly havent fully recovered from. We deserve better.

You can imagine the agent talking to waggot "With his metal leg it is now unbreakable!!"

2 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

If no-one else is sold how much do you think we’ll spend this summer on new players?

I don't think sales this summer will make any difference to what we spend.

I suspect we are, at best, going to spend £2-3 million, and that is top end. The focus will be on loans and cheap deals of £500k here and there. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

the first instalment of £6m has been used to fund the club in recent months. 

no I am not suggesting that at all, cos I believe we will 3 instalments of £6m over 3 instalments which we already had one, So I would used the other £12 million for £7m for summer budget, £3m for January budget, then £1m to the wage budget over 2 seasons. Other money like Raya money, etc cos be used towards running cost, improving the training grounds, academy facilities, etc 

Ah right, I'm with you now. So the club has made a loss of £6 million since the start of February necessitating the entirety of the £6 million from Wharton to be spent? 

We are in a mess aren't we?

You can believe what you like, have you any basis for this £6 million in 3 instalments stuff or just making it up?

Not that it really makes any difference, because if the club has an agreement with Palace to that effect then the owners could loan the money and recoup it later when those additional funds come in. This would not pose a problem under FFP and would allow greater investment in the summer.

We aren't making any improvements to training grounds or academy facilities, it is called routine maintenance and shouldn't be funded from the Adam Wharton money. You are just repeating what Waggott has said on the subject because he's desperate at every turn to dilute expectations of the owners investing in the club. Presumably because it's his job to save them money and so he's keen to fund everything from sales instead.

The true decline in our owners reign is shining through right now, we expect to sell players to fund the base costs of the club. 

Football is a mad business and it's a licence to lose money, but hell even with this lot I never thought the day would come when paying the bills was seen as not in their remit.

• Like 1

They'll suddenly bung 5 million in when everything else has been exhausted then they'll be revered for keeping the lights on as this never ending nonsense carries on, in league 1.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think sales this summer will make any difference to what we spend.

I suspect we are, at best, going to spend £2-3 million, and that is top end. The focus will be on loans and cheap deals of £500k here and there. 

at least we know your expectations. 

Ah right, I'm with you now. So the club has made a loss of £6 million since the start of February necessitating the entirety of the £6 million from Wharton to be spent? 

made a loss? 

We are in a mess aren't we?

nope

You can believe what you like, have you any basis for this £6 million in 3 instalments stuff or just making it up?

its what general happenings in football. fees are paid instalments. its has be rumoured that how Palace are paying the fee

Not that it really makes any difference, because if the club has an agreement with Palace to that effect then the owners could loan the money and recoup it later when those additional funds come in. This would not pose a problem under FFP and would allow greater investment in the summer.

We aren't making any improvements to training grounds or academy facilities, it is called routine maintenance and shouldn't be funded from the Adam Wharton money. You are just repeating what Waggott has said on the subject because he's desperate at every turn to dilute expectations of the owners investing in the club. Presumably because it's his job to save them money and so he's keen to fund everything from sales instead.

has Waggott even said this how we spent the Wharton money? GB did and I agree with him

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Wait, this club isn’t in a mess?

Well, it’s certainly a view.

I mean, he openly admits we had to sell our best player to get a quick £6 million in to keep funding the club for the rest of the season. This is because for the first time in 13 years there is no money coming in from the owners.

But that’s not ‘a mess’

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

So, let’s wait and see! 

Who has had a meltdown specifically over a potential target?

The primary frustration seems to be more at things that have happened in the past or people trying to justify things that may or may not happen in the future.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I will judge him on his performances in a Rovers shirt if he signed. I don't know whether he would sign here or not. 

I have suggested Daniel Iversen from Leicester and Ben Wilson from Coventry would either of those be acceptable to yourself? 

Also You don't say who you would so go on then who would be your 3 man shortlist for us to sign as our new keeper? names please? 

I agree we need investment into the squad and I think you can achieve this with £7m with players signings for cash transfers, loan signings and free transfers. We need around 7/8 signings without sales 

I couldnt possibly say who we should sign because I dont have the indepth scouting knowledge across the world so how can I possibly know.

I just know that I think Ruddy would be a very poor, desperate and cheap signing. I dont necessarily think we will sign him, ìf we do I would be unhappy with the signing.

You dont have to be armed with a shortlist of potential targets to give an opinion of a player you do know about. Its not a case of if you dont know loads of potentially good signings then you cant comment.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

nope

So if Wharton got injured and wasn't sold we would be in administration. How is that acceptable? 

Does financial fair play rules prevent the owners from spending 20 million this window (if Szmodics is sold for let's say 10-12 million)?  With our weak squad, do you find it acceptable to be scraping the barrel to find the cheapest (hopefully they are cheap) and oldest players possible who might be able to do a job for one more season before retirement? No forward thinking and no ambition.

Edited by Inferi
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I mean, he openly admits we had to sell our best player to get a quick £6 million in to keep funding the club for the rest of the season. This is because for the first time in 13 years there is no money coming in from the owners.

But that’s not ‘a mess’

If , we had gone into administration, the Venkys would be no more ...

Happy Days !

4 minutes ago, Inferi said:

So if Wharton got injured and wasn't sold we would be in administration. 

Who knows

4 minutes ago, Inferi said:

Does financial fair play rules prevent the owners from spending 20 million this window (if Szmodics is sold for let's say 10-12 million)?  With our weak squad, do you find it acceptable to be scraping the barrel to find the cheapest (hopefully they are cheap) and oldest players possible who might be able to do a job for one more season before retirement? No forward thinking and no ambition.

Who says we are scraping the barrel for saying? 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who has had a meltdown specifically over a potential target?

You have. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I couldnt possibly say who we should sign because I dont have the indepth scouting knowledge across the world so how can I possibly know.

I just know that I think Ruddy would be a very poor, desperate and cheap signing. I dont necessarily think we will sign him, ìf we do I would be unhappy with the signing.

You dont have to be armed with a shortlist of potential targets to give an opinion of a player you do know about. Its not a case of if you dont know loads of potentially good signings then you cant comment.

Just more and more excuses yet again. Can't answered a straight question just like simple answering a question whether you have renew or not your ST.