BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If I remember rightly, his old deal would have been going into its last 12 months...then had a 12 month extension option. His new deal only added one year of security for the club.

If we allowed an 8 mill release clause in that deal we're even fucking dumber than I thought.

Personally don’t think we’d have ever got more than 10 million for him. My point is that we have all criticised the club for letting contracts run down and on this occasion they haven’t and we stand to get a decent fee for a player who has had a great season and will probably never be worth anymore than he is this summer.

It matters not anyway because NONE of it will be going back into the team 😂

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, jwlrovers said:

Selling your best players for good money is fine. The problem is that we don't reinvest anything to replace them.

Yep, certainly isn't the Brentford model 😂

Birmingham (League One) are completely outspending us (£3m so far). They went down and I've no doubt they are going to have a better squad than us shorty, or already do in League One. It's shocking, absolutely shocking from the club. I'm praying Venky's go but we needed them to sell the club months ago. As it is they're cornering us into another relegation, only this one you can see coming a mile off.

Edited by Ghost7
  • Like 2

Would think the Ipswich 'link' is correct - I understand Ipswich first tabled an offer in the January window.  As they are now a PL club and are seemingly prepared to match the release clause in Sammie's contract, it's almost certainly thanks and goodbye. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2024 at 08:45, Forever Blue said:

Still lots of unanswered questions:

Is Rover Insider right that Pasha has told the owners we don’t need any transfer funds?

Does August 20th change anything or is it even relevant to funding?

Will Venkys find some transfers after that if the court case goes in their favour and they no longer have to post an equivalent bond?

If Pasha has said that he needs to go while the owners get away with window dressing to show they're doing something & until I see players holding up the shirt confirming they've signed I refuse to believe they care & agree protests need to ramp up 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FE123 said:

Bet this was agreed when he signed his new deal at the turn of the year, allows club to safeguard getting a fee and would allow him a premier league move should one materialise. We can moan about the fee, but we would be complaining even more now if he was going into the last 12 months of his deal and was refusing to sign a new deal.

Can imagine Szmodics party insisted on it as this will probably be his only opportunity for a move to the premier league and the big money that comes with it.

Unpopular opinion but I don’t begrudge him or the club if he leaves for the premier league for a fee of around £8 million.

I don’t think any fan begrudges him a move to the premier , it’s just what do we get in as a replacement? At the moment it’s not looking like very much. Squad as it is just now, certain relegation. Certainly up there with the lowest points of supporting the club, absolute feeling of dread and no hope. Sad it’s came to this, I don’t really know what we as fans could have done to prevent it, think we have been let down by a lot of people to get to this stage 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Birmingham (League One) are completely outspending us (£3m so far). They went down and I've no doubt they are going to have a better squad than us shorty, or already do in League One. It's shocking, absolutely shocking from the club. I'm praying Venky's go but we needed them to sell the club months ago. As it is they're cornering us into another relegation, only this one you can see coming a mile off.

In all fairness the first one you could see coming from a mile off as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FE123 said:

Bet this was agreed when he signed his new deal at the turn of the year, allows club to safeguard getting a fee and would allow him a premier league move should one materialise. We can moan about the fee, but we would be complaining even more now if he was going into the last 12 months of his deal and was refusing to sign a new deal.

Can imagine Szmodics party insisted on it as this will probably be his only opportunity for a move to the premier league and the big money that comes with it.

Unpopular opinion but I don’t begrudge him or the club if he leaves for the premier league for a fee of around £8 million.

It’s probably not an unpopular opinion. In normal circumstances that would be good business and let’s face it, he has served Rovers well. 

• Like 1

It's hard to say what a realistic valuation, market wise is for Szmodics. I believe there is a significant difference between his value to us and his value to others in this scenario.

From a stats point of view, he's 28, played the majority of his career in League 1 and scored over a 3rd of his career goals in a single season. A total of 38 championship goals (32 for us and 6 for Peterborough) across 114 apps, a goal every 3 and a bit games. So it all depends on how clubs view last year, whether it's a statistical outlier or the start of an upward trend. 

3 or 4 years ago, you could see someone chancing 15million + on him, a la Armstrong. Those days seem long gone though, clubs less willing to take financial risks due to PSR and the step up from championship to PL seemingly harder by the year. 

From an objective 'football business' point of view you'd have to say 10 million (plus add ons) seems a fair fee given his age and record. From a subjective Rovers view he's priceless, history tells us the money would not be re-invested and with the greatest respect to Messrs Gallagher, Leonard and Dolan I think they'd struggle to meet his individual goal tally, collectively.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

In all fairness the first one you could see coming from a mile off as well.

The Premier League relegation was more obvious than the Coyle /Mowbray one ...

Both were deliberate!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Something else to add to the list of depressing things (sorry)....

In addition to the lack of signings, I make out that 13 teams in the championship have signed players from overseas now. I'm talking the likes of Sheff Wednesday, Derby, Plymouth! Fucking Plymouth! All seemingly having a better European scouting network. Or is it just that our scouts are sending recommendations through but just being told we haven't got a pot to piss in. In which case, what's the point in even having scouts?

I should really have mellowed to this shit show after all these years but instead I feel myself absolutely ripping at the minute 😡

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

In addition to the lack of signings, I make out that 13 teams in the championship have signed players from overseas now. I'm talking the likes of Sheff Wednesday, Derby, Plymouth! Fucking Plymouth! All seemingly having a better European scouting network. Or is it just that our scouts are sending recommendations through but just being told we haven't got a pot to piss in. In which case, what's the point in even having scouts?

I should really have mellowed to this shit show after all these years but instead I feel myself absolutely ripping at the minute 😡

Have they been waiting to flog Szmodics all along and waiting for THAT money before we start going for players? Unlikely I know

12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Didn't we sack our European scouting and 'hidden gem' scouts this summer 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FE123 said:

Have they been waiting to flog Szmodics all along and waiting for THAT money before we start going for players? Unlikely I know

We have brought in near £30 million in the past 12 months and reportedly still don't have the money to pay  a first installment for a defender who will cost £500k 

The Szmodic money will also disappear 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

The Premier League relegation was more obvious than the Coyle /Mowbray one ...

Both were deliberate!

Not sure that the coyle one was deliberate, I think they just gambled with appointing Coyle over Warnock as obviously Coyle was just a yes man with no ambition. I think they didn't realise just how shit he actually was and it backfired. Bear in mind they actually fired him and appointed Mowbray.

The Premier League relegation was 100% deliberate. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

• Like 1

We are meant to have one of the richest owners...

We have got 30m in sales...

Either you go give your best shot or bust...

Venkys what do you want? Seriously.

If we sell Szmodics it would be lunatic and for a few of 6m ....sheer lunatic... The lad got 3 years left on contract. No need to sell as we won't get money back to spend. Keep him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Waggot the ultimately one to blame here.

7 hours ago, Brfcrule1 said:

If Pasha has said that he needs to go while the owners get away with window dressing to show they're doing something & until I see players holding up the shirt confirming they've signed I refuse to believe they care & agree protests need to ramp up 

Time for protests soon

• Like 3