BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We hope they will be good of course but it's still underwhelming,we have lost some real quality for this level in the last couple of years and brought in big money and we get unknowns in return for small money or 37 year old centre backs

Whilst I'm reading Boro are in talks with Bristol over a deal for  Conway an excellent young talent,they haven't brought in the income we have last couple of years .

If the two new forwards get at least the same amount of goals as Sammie did last year then Park needs a statue erecting outside the ground.

We are weaker than last season still 

Your posting all that as if your surprised? We all know the situation, the Japan lad is a unknown but I won’t be “underwhelmed” until I’ve seen him play…Evidence proves that the Asian players coming over to England are effective…Now expecting any player or even 2 to match the goals return that sammie gave us is just unfair.

Szmodics for me had a one season wonder, not about his work rate but he wont be scoring that amount of goals, in one season, again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Recruitment is being motivated by finances. Those leaving or being pushed out are those who can fetch interest and bids from elsewhere or those on the biggest wages.

Those coming in far, far cheaper.

When your recruitment is dictated by savings and cost cuts you end up taking huge gambles and unless you are very astute go on a downward spiral.

I don't think Venkys, Waggott or the rest of them are very good. Actually they disgust me and should be nowhere near any professional organisation. So where does that leave us moving forward? A perfect storm of cost cuts, negligence and a race to the bottom.

With Gally heading for the door and Sammie almost out of it attention will switch to Travis who is probably the next biggest contract left.

• Like 1

Last season we had one player scoring goals. Not sure how many goals the 2nd highest scorer contributed? 5 or 6 maybe?

I would hope next season the front 4 get into double figures, which will mitigate the need for one individual to directly replicate SS’s 28 league goals. 

I’d also hope Eustace can continue to set up the team not to concede like he did last season.

It’s not impossible for us to have a decent season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Weimann is 33 soon.. must be instead of Fleck.

People act like anyone over 30 is ready for the knackers yard.

Fleck was an unwise transfer because he's had two bad injuries to the same leg. Portugal had a 39 year old and a 41 year old in their Euros team - and they'd both walk into any Championship side. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

With Gally heading for the door and Sammie almost out of it attention will switch to Travis who is probably the next biggest contract left.

What an amazing coincidence. Then it will be Hyam or Sigurdsson, next down the wage earner list. Though they might already be working away behind the scenes on the Sigurdsson one...

• Like 2

I understand the 'recruitment being motivated by finances' line, although I slightly disagree with it.

It seems that Szmodics wants out - who could blame him - and that he has a gentleman's agreement in place to leave. That has been the story of my life as a Rovers supporter. Nothing new here.

As for Gallagher? He's a bit rubbish and he has a year left on his contract. Get rid. Almost any warm body will match his performances and output. The most compelling argument for keeping him has been that he's useful for defensive corners. Think about that.

Supporting this club is depressing at the moment, but these outgoings aren't really the issue.

I'm happy to see some players coming in and I hope that they prove to be a great success. I wasn't excited when Szmodics signed and now we're all sad to see him leave. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Okay why did Bristol and WBA allow him to leave?

Because they both think they can do better?

WBA spend big on wages and Bristol City usually spend big on transfers (for this division). Maybe a good 33 year old Championship player isn't what they're after to progress?

We're beggars at this point - don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

People act like anyone over 30 is ready for the knackers yard.

Fleck was an unwise transfer because he's had two bad injuries to the same leg. Portugal had a 39 year old and a 41 year old in their Euros team - and they'd both walk into any Championship side. 

Totally agree.

And if any other Championship club signed him we'd be hearing the 'why aren't we investing in experience' argument. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

travis is another one i would`nt bother about losing,he`s not very good,can`t tackle properly,is positionally useless and goes on stupid runs that don`t go anywhere but leave gaps in midfield,if he stays i bet tronstadt will be half the player he was last season,he`ll be covering for travis when he goes haring off on another swaray upfield,only place he`s useful is right back,there he only has to concentrate on looking one way

1 hour ago, Rover80 said:

Maybe the Ruddy loan thing is something that has possibly been agreed between the clubs, Newcastle might be covering his wages or something as part of the agreement over Finneran, seems like the sort of  bollocks this lot would do. 

The Finneran transfer fee will be literal peanuts to Newcastle - they're just haggling because they can. They won't send their quota filling GK to us. 

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The Finneran transfer fee will be literal peanuts to Newcastle - they're just haggling because they can. They won't send their quota filling GK to us. 

It might not be literal peanuts to a club carefully watching FFP.

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We hope they will be good of course but it's still underwhelming,we have lost some real quality for this level in the last couple of years and brought in big money and we get unknowns in return for small money or 37 year old centre backs

Whilst I'm reading Boro are in talks with Bristol over a deal for  Conway an excellent young talent,they haven't brought in the income we have last couple of years .

If the two new forwards get at least the same amount of goals as Sammie did last year then Park needs a statue erecting outside the ground.

We are weaker than last season still 

We need two wingers and a GK imo (assuming no-one else outside of Gallagher and Szmodics leave). We really did have a black hole at #9 last season and Hedges / Dolan et al simply don't score or create enough. Replacing those front 3 with players that actually contribute, relegating Hedges and Dolan to their rightful position (strong squad players) would make a world of difference.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I understand the 'recruitment being motivated by finances' line, although I slightly disagree with it.

It seems that Szmodics wants out - who could blame him - and that he has a gentleman's agreement in place to leave. That has been the story of my life as a Rovers supporter. Nothing new here.

As for Gallagher? He's a bit rubbish and he has a year left on his contract. Get rid. Almost any warm body will match his performances and output. The most compelling argument for keeping him has been that he's useful for defensive corners. Think about that.

Supporting this club is depressing at the moment, but these outgoings aren't really the issue.

I'm happy to see some players coming in and I hope that they prove to be a great success. I wasn't excited when Szmodics signed and now we're all sad to see him leave. 

My most compelling arguments for keeping Gallagher are that by now he should be paid for, and his partners over the past 5 years have scored bucket loads. 

Players don't generally want to leave a club that they can see has the ambition to get somewhere in the game. They are happy to stay and be part of it. 

Players do want to leave financially stricken crisis clubs that are going nowhere and have no plan.

Players left behind see good quality teammates being bundled unceremoniously out the exit door by the club and shadowy individuals running it and see vastly inferior alternatives being brought in. They then wonder about moving on themselves to a club with actual ambition and some semblance of a plan.

I seriously reckon that we have about 6 players under contract who 10+ Championship rivals would happily have at their disposal. Szmodics, Gallagher, Travis, Hyam, Carter, Tronstad. Add JRC to that if he could keep fit for more than half a season.

I don't think many, if any, of the other lot we have would attract anything more than passing glances from other Championship sides.

That tells me something. About 3 years ago I'd have said we had 12+ of such players, adding in the likes of Diaz, Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong, Lenihan. The number is dwindling each year. We now seem to be well on the way to getting it down to 3-4. 

• Like 5

Feck me, this is grim... waiting up late, hoping beyond hope that something, any sodding thing might happen to dispel the gloom and move our once proud club forward even a millimetre.

But NOTHING??

Grim. Probably the scheming Maggwaggot polishing his pension pot, and mouthing pleasantries down the bog to his masters in the dock.

Grim as fuck.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Codger said:

Feck me, this is grim... waiting up late, hoping beyond hope that something, any sodding thing might happen to dispel the gloom and move our once proud club forward even a millimetre.

But NOTHING??

Grim. Probably the scheming Maggwaggot polishing his pension pot, and mouthing pleasantries down the bog to his masters in the dock.

Grim as fuck.

Waiting to be sure the Szmodics one is going through before they allow 5% of the cash back into the kitty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

My most compelling arguments for keeping Gallagher are that by now he should be paid for, and his partners over the past 5 years have scored bucket loads. 

his partners have all scored goals because he himself has`nt got any anticipation on where the ball is going to end up

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BobbyIsh1976 said:

It was a retort to the Mercer post.   As in, some people will literally moan about anything Rovers and struggle seeing anything positive.  No signings?  Rubbish.  Three signings in one day?  All are rubbish and will get us relegated.   That's an opinion, on a forum, for all opinions.   

I think everyone is right to moan. We have the worst owners in English football, holding us in a purgatory hell. We're reportedly signing a couple of complete unknowns, whom fee or not, when you factor in wages are coming in only because they're cheap. We're looking to sell the leagues top scorer and the only reason we're still in this division. 

I hope the new signings hit the ground running and strengthen us but even the most optimistic fan must admit they are major gambles. It'd be all well and good if they were calculated gambles, adding to an already strong squad, but we're literally pinning our future on them. 

The only caveat is if we reinvested a huge portion of the Szmodics money and even then I'm being kind considering the money which has flowed into the club the last 12 months. And if I've learnt anything about Venkys and Waggott over the years, the chances of that are slim to non. We're on our knees and people are saying some posters fail to see the positives in anything... It's going to take a hell of a lot more than a bulldozer with a worse touch than me and a gamble on the Japanese lad to get me seeing the positives. And I've not even gone into Telegraph pretending Mcfadzean is some kind of new signing. 

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

travis is another one i would`nt bother about losing,he`s not very good,can`t tackle properly,is positionally useless and goes on stupid runs that don`t go anywhere but leave gaps in midfield,if he stays i bet tronstadt will be half the player he was last season,he`ll be covering for travis when he goes haring off on another swaray upfield,only place he`s useful is right back,there he only has to concentrate on looking one way

I've always quite liked Travis he is what he is and i think we missed his presence last season and our squad is stronger with him in it.

I'd be curious to see if he and Trons could form a midfield engine room all good pairings have to cover each other and if one can read the others game it helps. Travis strikes me as a Eustace type player and he won't expect him to play like a B sideTugay as JDT did.

Having said all that i think its clear some inside the club want rid of his wages and he probably fancies a decent contract somewhere else because he won't get another here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

his partners have all scored goals because he himself has`nt got any anticipation on where the ball is going to end up

He must have worked hard on it in training,with all his different partners, cos it kept working 🤣

Travis is one of those players that isn't good enough if you want to push for promotion but exactly the sort of player you need if you want to stay in the league. I personally wouldn't be letting him go unless it was a decent amount. I don't rate him but I feel he's a necessary type of player we need for the season ahead of us. 

Dominic Hyam I would piggy back wherever he wants to go, can't stand the sight of him. Spineless, weak, shit body language, over paid shithouse and one the reasons we were in a relegation battle. Not the type of character you want for this season. Could be easily replaced. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 4