BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gallagher has been one of the first names on the team sheet for every manager he has played under at Ewood, don't underestimate his importance to this team, his work ethic, if he scored more goals he'd be playing at a much higher level. 

I tend to agree, I think his presence in the team is more significant than people give him credit for and other teams/managers know this. He isn't going to ever score 20+ a season but he brings a lot of other things to the party, when fit.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gallagher has been one of the first names on the team sheet for every manager he has played under at Ewood, don't underestimate his importance to this team, his work ethic, if he scored more goals he'd be playing at a much higher level. 

so he runs around a lot,but can`t head a football,has no anticipation as a centre forward,is far to easy to knock off the ball,first touch is shocking and he`s injured an awful lot,best we get shut of him

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Anyone who finds this window positive needs to give their head a wobble

It's more positive than it was two days ago. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Won’t any fee they pay be FFP exempt (youth development)?

The initial fees, yes, but some future clauses that relate to first-team appearances and that will be triggered (likely) after a certain age may be a different thing. Not to mention any sell-on clauses that will impact the 'pure' profit nature of an academy signing.

• Like 1

Two days ago we had 13 days until the big kick off with no new signings to call upon. Today we have 11 soon to be 10 days until the big kick off with no new signings to call upon.

Nothing changed as of yet other than less time to prepare.

• Like 1

Adding Sam Gallagher to a solid mid table Championship squad for a million quid or so and fitting into a wage structure won't turn it into promotion contenders but it will make it a bit stronger than before.

Outsiders looking in will say it''s a steady bit of business by Stoke and similar if they add Travis as well.

How much we would actually miss either or both is 100 percent down to the level of replacements and if they aren't replaced we will miss them.  Think we all or most of us know though that we are slowly preparing for life in league one because these shithouse owners can't fund a championship club any longer than it takes for it to liquidise it's better playing assets.

And of course they care so much they won't look to sell it or seek outside investment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Adding Sam Gallagher to a solid mid table Championship squad for a million quid or so and fitting into a wage structure won't turn it into promotion contenders but it will make it a bit stronger than before.

Outsiders looking in will say it''s a steady bit of business by Stoke and similar if they add Travis as well.

How much we would actually miss either or both is 100 percent down to the level of replacements and if they aren't replaced we will miss them.  Think we all or most of us know though that we are slowly preparing for life in league one because these shithouse owners can't fund a championship club any longer than it takes for it to liquidise it's better playing assets.

And of course they care so much they won't look to sell it or seek outside investment.

Bang on. The owners can't or won't pay the going rate for a Championship club any more, so their solution is to reduce the club to a size/stature that they are comfortable with, even if that means chopping it down to a League One outfit so they can leave it on the shelf without the hassle they've been getting the last 12-18 months.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I tend to agree, I think his presence in the team is more significant than people give him credit for and other teams/managers know this. He isn't going to ever score 20+ a season but he brings a lot of other things to the party, when fit.

Gallagher would play best in a two, as in the old days when two forwards complemented each other’s strengths and weaknesses. If Markanday is to play the no.10, or someone else, that would lift the demands on Gallagher.

Whilst a sale makes sense, I am very nervous about the club’s ability to recruit well, especially, with Szmodics leaving. Vale, to me, makes the most sense to cash in on but looming is Gallagher walking away on a free.

Fretful times. We could easily be looking back at Gallagher wistfully in a year or two, given the decline we are in.

Edited by riverholmes

Just now, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I think regardless of what you think of SG the fact is his contract is up next summer and he clearly has no intention of signing a new deal her (where he is already likely paid more than he's worth)

Mate spoke to him at the end of the season. Said he wanted to stay but not been offered a contract. So selling him this summer I'm guessing was always part of the plan. Might of changed since then and been offered one but not definitely won't be on the same wages as he's one of our highest earners. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Will it? 

I've genuinely seen nothing from Sam Gallagher to make me think that he is anything close to an average Championship player.

I honestly believe that the only thing going for him is that he looks good. I don't mean because he's relatively tall and looks strong, but he actually just looks like he should be a good footballer.

Signing someone who looks like Gallagher feels better than signing someone who looks like Paul Dickov. I know which player I'd rather have. We won't be weaker for losing Gallagher and any money that we get for him is a blessing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I understand the 'recruitment being motivated by finances' line, although I slightly disagree with it.

It seems that Szmodics wants out - who could blame him - and that he has a gentleman's agreement in place to leave. That has been the story of my life as a Rovers supporter. Nothing new here.

As for Gallagher? He's a bit rubbish and he has a year left on his contract. Get rid. Almost any warm body will match his performances and output. The most compelling argument for keeping him has been that he's useful for defensive corners. Think about that.

Supporting this club is depressing at the moment, but these outgoings aren't really the issue.

I'm happy to see some players coming in and I hope that they prove to be a great success. I wasn't excited when Szmodics signed and now we're all sad to see him leave. 

Of course its driven by finances. 2 of our highest earners bringing in 10m+ to be replaced by players at a fraction of the cost.

I have never been Gallagher's biggest fan but the idea that he could be replaced by almost any warm body is clearly untrue. He is a bottom half standard Championship striker. Certainly one that can be improved on but we have had numerous "warm bodies" as strikers in recent years signed/brought through amidst pitiful budgets in Ennis, Telalovic, Vale, Hirst etc that have literally not scored at all. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course its driven by finances. 2 of our highest earners bringing in 10m+ to be replaced by players at a fraction of the cost.

I have never been Gallagher's biggest fan but the idea that he could be replaced by almost any warm body is clearly untrue. He is a bottom half standard Championship striker. Certainly one that can be improved on but we have had numerous "warm bodies" as strikers in recent years signed/brought through amidst pitiful budgets in Ennis, Telalovic, Vale, Hirst etc that have literally not scored at all. 

Bottom half starter? Squad player?

He's 28 and he scores a goal 1 in every 5 appearances for a side that has actually not struggled to score goals during much of his time at this club. We've seen two players go from nothing to being prolific goal machines in that time and yet he can barely get on the end of a chance.

He's not good. 

I don't expect his replacement to be worse than him and that isn't me being optimistic about our future signings. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Will it? 

I've genuinely seen nothing from Sam Gallagher to make me think that he is anything close to an average Championship player.

I honestly believe that the only thing going for him is that he looks good. I don't mean because he's relatively tall and looks strong, but he actually just looks like he should be a good footballer.

Signing someone who looks like Gallagher feels better than signing someone who looks like Paul Dickov. I know which player I'd rather have. We won't be weaker for losing Gallagher and any money that we get for him is a blessing. 

Have you actually watched much of Rovers since hes been here or are you just being selective ?

By no means a great player and investing 5 mill and 15 grand a week there should have been more return but he's made his contribution over the time hes been here.  Don't forget that professor Mowbray played him many times as a winger when he should have been trying to turn him into a centre forward but we had other better suited players up top.

As a squad man - wages aside - he's more than good enough for any championship team that isn't blessed with huge budgets.

Replacing him with Vale or some skinny kid from somewhere won't cut it i'm afraid and if he's so bad then a moderate player with a bit of flair should be a massive upgrade.

We'll see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I do not like Gallagher, but there is something when you look at our record with and without him.  We do far better with him included.

Because he works his socks off and is a bloody good defender.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Have you actually watched much of Rovers since hes been here or are you just being selective ?

By no means a great player and investing 5 mill and 15 grand a week there should have been more return but he's made his contribution over the time hes been here.  Don't forget that professor Mowbray played him many times as a winger when he should have been trying to turn him into a centre forward but we had other better suited players up top.

As a squad man - wages aside - he's more than good enough for any championship team that isn't blessed with huge budgets.

Replacing him with Vale or some skinny kid from somewhere won't cut it i'm afraid and if he's so bad then a moderate player with a bit of flair should be a massive upgrade.

We'll see.

I've probably watched 95% of our matches during the Sam Gallagher era.

What exactly has his contribution been?

He scored 3 goals in 1,721 Championship minutes for us last season. I'm happy to bet any amount of money that you want that any forward (and by that I don't mean winger, although even they will probably manage it) we have that plays over 1,700 minutes will score at least 4 goals. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bottom half starter? Squad player?

He's 28 and he scores a goal 1 in every 5 appearances for a side that has actually not struggled to score goals during much of his time at this club. We've seen two players go from nothing to being prolific goal machines in that time and yet he can barely get on the end of a chance.

He's not good. 

I don't expect his replacement to be worse than him and that isn't me being optimistic about our future signings. 

He shouldnt be too hard to replace but I listed a number of players thay weve had within the last 2 years that have all been noticeably worse. So no, "nearly any warm body" wont be an upgrade in the market we usually shop in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've probably watched 95% of our matches during the Sam Gallagher era.

What exactly has his contribution been?

He scored 3 goals in 1,721 Championship minutes for us last season. I'm happy to bet any amount of money that you want that any forward (and by that I don't mean winger, although even they will probably manage it) we have that plays over 1,700 minutes will score at least 4 goals. 

I think we can say he falls into the defensive forward category and the points we've won with him in the side versus the points lost isn't all coincidental.

Other than judging him by only goals and assists if you cannot see any other contribution hes made at times i think you need to be rewatching.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think we can say he falls into the defensive forward category and the points we've won with him in the side versus the points lost isn't all coincidental.

Other than judging him by only goals and assists if you cannot see any other contribution hes made at times i think you need to be rewatching.

All stats need more context - including the with and without record.

That being said, I expect a forward to be scoring goals. If they aren't, you're in a bit of trouble. It's also far easier to replace a forward who just does a decent defensive shift than it is to find someone who can score or create goals.

Sam Gallagher is not a very good footballer. He can prove me wrong, but he's failed to do so over the past few seasons. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bazza said:

It wasn't three medicals. They've discovered he has three testicles. That's why he's such a strong player.

No doubt some will say this a load of bollocks.

Sounds like a job for that Bulgarian fitness coach…Runyer somethingorother…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Anyone who finds this window positive needs to give their head a wobble

That line gets used so much on this forum, it really does give me the ick (to use kiddy speak) just such a lame arsed thing to say. Please be more original with insults 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

Well, well, well

Things are looking up.

Gueye looks like a proper target man, lovely, must be an upgrade on Gallagher. Yuki looks exciting too, you cant replace SS but he looks busy and quick. Mafoumbi and Tyjon knocking on the door.

Need pace out wide next.

Weiman is a huge YES from me, more experience, goal record decent, MOM everytime he plays us.
James Hill just sign the poor man, about 10 loans the boys had. He liked us and we liked him. Maybe we have soured on Fadz now we have a bit of money.

Absolutely need a keeper.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The Finneran transfer fee will be literal peanuts to Newcastle - they're just haggling because they can. They won't send their quota filling GK to us. 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

It might not be literal peanuts to a club carefully watching FFP.

The initial fee will be low (I would imagine no more than £50K-£100K up front),  But there will be appearance fees and a sell on fee (even if the clubs cannot agree and it goes to a tribunal) so it is well worth negotiating.  An extra couple of % sell on fee is worth potentially millions in a few years time.  Hopefully that that point, Venkys will be long gone and whoever owns the club will spend the profits on the team.

Completely agree that Newcastle will not do us any favours with loans though

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1