BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

The with and without Gallagher stats don't lie, however - doesn't make him indispensable.

A big lumbering striker gives opposition defences something to worry about. There's plenty of opinions that he's poor in the air, soft etc - but you can't just leave him unmarked. He 100% has provided indirect assists if you will for the likes of Armstrong, Diaz, Szmodics because he's dragging defenders out of position, he's making space in behind quite often.

I've never seen Gueye play but looking at the size of him alone, no reason he can't do similar. He's an unknown to the opposition too, at least initially. It does still leave the issue that we don't have sn Armstrong/Diaz/Szmodics (presumably) as well though so he's going to need to contribute more actual goals.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, islander200 said:

Whilst I'm reading Boro are in talks with Bristol over a deal for  Conway an excellent young talent,they haven't brought in the income we have last couple of years .

They have sold Akpom, Spence, Tavernier & Rogers for about £40M.  They may have also banked a sell on fee from Woods move from Swansea to Southampton this summer.

But based on that, Rovers should have a vaguely comparable spending power to Boro

On a slightly related note

Akpom had a similarly prolific season to Szmodics (having done nothing quite like that before) before he got his move and apparently went for an initial fee of £10.5M.   Rising to £12.5 by all accounts

Slight differences are Akpom was in the last year of his contract at Boro, but was a year younger (27 at the time) than Szmodics is now.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Neal said:

The thing is Merce and perhaps it's the question we've really got to start asking ourselves...

DOES IT REALLY MATTER? (Being relegated)

People (including myself) throw around the word apathy pretty loosely but I really and truly feel it these days. The issues at the club now are so big and state of it is so bad that I really believe that things need to get so much worse before we can truly look to the future. We all want to bury our head in the sand and just focus on football but we've done that for over 10 years now. 

If relegation is what it takes to hit these people even harder (financially) to accelerate the process of getting them out... Then absolutely bring it on because treading water in the championship, kidding ourselves into thinking that we're a season away from being back in the prem and it being the answer to all of our problems is like a really long torturous bad dream. What the the club desperately needs is a fresh start, free from the shackles of these cretins and I can't go on kidding myself into believing the start of another season is a fresh start when it isn't, the real issues remain, they still remain. 

The club is fucking dying a slow death, being slowly strangled harder and harder each year by these absolute scum who deserve the absolute worst life has to offer. 

Actually, i feel it might be the only way round. We'll probably have a fire sale at relegation and our biggest cost factor, wages will be cut significantly and with further room for more cuts if we are not aiming for promotion.

With the costs cut, even with reduced revenue, our cash burn rate might be reduced thus giving the V even less incentive to cut losses.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KentExile said:

They have sold Akpom, Spence and Tavernier for about £30M.  They may have also banked a sell on fee from Woods move from Swansea to Southampton this summer.

But based on that, Rovers should have a vaguely comparable spending power to Boro

On a slightly related note

Akpom had a similarly prolific season to Szmodics (having done nothing quite like that before) before he got his move and apparently went for an initial fee of £10.5M.   Rising to £12.5 by all accounts

Slight differences are Akpom was in the last year of his contract at Boro, but was a year younger (27 at the time) than Szmodics is now.

Didn't they also sell Rogers to villa for another £15mil? 

• Like 2

Lots more bluster and talk by the looks of things, yet nobody signed and nothing over the line.

10 days until kick off with Jack Vale leading the line.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Youth development costs are removed from FFP calculations but this is income…? 🤔

That’s why I asked the question.

I found an article which says buying players for your academy is exempt but income from selling an academy player is included. 

What I don’t know is whether this person knows this or has just interpreted the rules this way.

I had a quick skim of the rules but nothing jumped out one way or the other.

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Gallagher has been one of the first names on the team sheet for every manager he has played under at Ewood, don't underestimate his importance to this team, his work ethic and over 170 games for the club, if he scored more goals he'd be playing at a much higher level. 

I will miss Sam Gallagher in a Rovers shirt because the lad may well be limited in the goal department, he may well be injury prone these days, but he runs his bollox off for the shirt and as a fan I can ask for nothing more than that if the manager of the day picks him.

He's got no work ethic about him whatsoever. Doesn't physically impose himself on the opposition, 6 ft 5 and jumps about 5 ft 7, can't be bothered getting himself into positions from where he'd be likely to score and that's before you even get onto his technical limitations.

Was a willing runner of the channels and  half decent during his first loan spell (albeit not worth anywhere near £5m)  but has been absolutely stealing a living since he came permanently. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

If he goes that is. Please God.

• Downvote 6

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

I've probably watched 95% of our matches during the Sam Gallagher era.

What exactly has his contribution been?

He scored 3 goals in 1,721 Championship minutes for us last season. I'm happy to bet any amount of money that you want that any forward (and by that I don't mean winger, although even they will probably manage it) we have that plays over 1,700 minutes will score at least 4 goals. 

It's probably better to ask Armstrong, Brereton and Szmodics what his contribution has been. 

If we can get £1.5 million for him, he has to go if he's no intention of signing a new contract. Replacing his goals alone shouldn't be a problem, replacing his overall contribution to the team and the overall scoring record of the forward line might prove more difficult. 

Will you be claiming you were right if the replacement scores 7 or 8,but nobody else reaches double figures? 

I sincerely hope you are right and we stay up comfortably, but I do fear trying to replace both him and Szmodics at the same time will be a big ask. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I’m still wondering why the Ohashi deal hasn’t been done. It’s been a week now since we were first linked. 

I've always thought that nothing can be announced until it's confirmed that Szmodics and now Gallagher leave.

Suppose we'll see today as surely if there were medicals etc yesterday and yet nothing is announced today then something is up.

Edited by MarkBRFC

8 hours ago, bazza said:

Because he works his socks off and is a bloody good defender.

So would you rate a centre half who couldn't defend to save their life but popped  up in the opposition box four or five times a season to score from a corner?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I’m still wondering why the Ohashi deal hasn’t been done. It’s been a week now since we were first linked. 

Just to put in to context. Emile Smith-Rowe was linked with Fulham 19th of July and sat out friendly 5 days ago. Was announced yesterday by Romano, but nothing official from the club yet. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

10 days until kick off with Jack Vale leading the line.

Honestly think that's gonna happen regardless, even if the transfers were all finalised today they're coming from totally different leagues and who knows what kind of shape they're in. Good few weeks into the season no doubt till they're ready to start now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I've always thought that nothing can be announced until it's confirmed that Szmodics and now Gallagher leave.

Suppose we'll see today as surely if there were medicals etc yesterday and yet nothing is announced today then something is up.

It would be classic rovers to have authorised holidays for the next 2 weeks for anyone capable of using a camera tbf, maybe they have all signed already 😐

3 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Just to put in to context. Emile Smith-Rowe was linked with Fulham 19th of July and sat out friendly 5 days ago. Was announced yesterday by Romano, but nothing official from the club yet. 

Yes, but as far as I'm aware Fulham/Arsenal haven't had any high profile transfer embarrassments of the sort we've had recently nor I presume will they have had charlatans like Waggott and Broughton conducting matters so it's not unreasonable to feel slightly nervous in the absence of definite confirmation imo.

17 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Didn't he only arrive over the weekend with medical yesterday? Going to announce a few signings at once/over the afternoon today is my guess.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ricky said:

We always seem to move at glacial pace with regards to transfers.

The lad from Nantes must have been "Nearly done" for a good week now as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, but as far as I'm aware Fulham/Arsenal haven't had any high profile transfer embarrassments of the sort we've had recently nor I presume will they have had charlatans like Waggott and Broughton conducting matters so it's not unreasonable to feel slightly nervous in the absence of definite confirmation imo.

This is the issue. The fanbase has just been destroyed by dysfunctional nonsense over the past however many years so everyone understandably thinks the worst. It makes it hard work being a fan because you feel like you can’t even get excited about potential positives because in the back of your mind you think oh the club will mess this up! Depressing! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The lad from Nantes must have been "Nearly done" for a good week now as well.

Over a week he was brought over now 😳 you'd expect his was the least complicated of all potential deals too.

8 hours ago, bazza said:

Because he works his socks off and is a bloody good defender.

Aye, but his actual job is to work his socks off and be a bloody good....striker. Tada! See what I did there?

If we could somehow move out Hyam and bring that left footed center half from Hull we were linked with and James Hill back on loan I feel our center halves would be sorted.

• Like 1