BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

9 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Would love him back in whatever capacity.  Suspect that unless any option to buy is contingent on promotion, that the fee would be out of Rovers reach by some margin though

Unless Rovers maybe did and Armstrong type sell on fee for Bournemouth (circa 40%) in order to get a low initial fee

On promotion £100m and Balaji Rao's first born child.

It ain't happening so offer them the moon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

On promotion £100m and Balaji Rao's first born child.

It ain't happening so offer them the moon.

But that has a net value of £0, possibly less.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Would love him back in whatever capacity.  Suspect that unless any option to buy is contingent on promotion, that the fee would be out of Rovers reach by some margin though

Unless Rovers maybe did and Armstrong type sell on fee for Bournemouth (circa 40%) in order to get a low initial fee

I doubt Hill would even consider a permanent move to a struggling championship side that are among the favourites for the drop to league 1. There is no way we could afford his wages in any case.

A loan is much more likely but again, would he choose Rovers if other, more ambitious, playoff chasing clubs are interested. I am sure there will be competition for him if he is available.

• Like 3

Nobody with an established reputation is going to be coming here.

So it will be young loans, League One players or foreign gambles. 

James Hill fits into none of them. So if we are looking at him we are probably wasting everyone's time.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, M_B said:

It's probably better to ask Armstrong, Brereton and Szmodics what his contribution has been. 

If we can get £1.5 million for him, he has to go if he's no intention of signing a new contract. Replacing his goals alone shouldn't be a problem, replacing his overall contribution to the team and the overall scoring record of the forward line might prove more difficult. 

Will you be claiming you were right if the replacement scores 7 or 8,but nobody else reaches double figures? 

I sincerely hope you are right and we stay up comfortably, but I do fear trying to replace both him and Szmodics at the same time will be a big ask. 

I'd genuinely be interested to hear what they would say. Because he doesn't do a particularly good job of holding the ball up like Danny Graham did. He certainly didn't directly set them up for many goals with the ball at his feet. He is hard working and powerful (even though he lacks aggression) and seems pretty unselfish, but he hardly seems like a dream strike partner. 

I'm not one of those who thinks he's useless either. I'd be sorry to see him go in some ways, but he's always played his better football when he wasn't the main man. If we don't replace him then he'll go into next year as needing to be our main man assuming Szmodics leaves, so now seems like a good time to cut our losses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Nobody with an established reputation is going to be coming here.

So it will be young loans, League One players or foreign gambles. 

James Hill fits into none of them. So if we are looking at him we are probably wasting everyone's time.

James Hill...... Is that you?  

• Like 1

Youth players with hardly if any first team experience are being sold by Prem clubs for upper 7 or 8 figure sums. We're clearly not shopping in that bracket. Those same player's can easily be on £10k a week if not more; we seem to be trying to get our highest earner amount down again. Permanent signing of any top league player, with the potential ability to play in that league, simply isn't realistic. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Low budget. 

If I was in charge I’d be doing one based around clicking send on the paperwork. Or receiving confirmation from the EFL. 

• Like 7

The trading stuff that has taken shape with Prem and even Champ youth team players over the last few years is just football and agents latest feeding frenzy.

Asking stupid money/wages/loan fees for kids who Prem clubs have nicked for low fees and have little to no intention of using them themselves.  Taking advantage of the fact the demand began to grow for cheap alternatives to fill squads because of the stupid transfer fees and wages of first teamers.

It's a racket and will spread down to lower leagues as Champ clubs start looking there when priced out of loaning in Prem kids. Football so badly needs regulating and caps putting on this particular scenario and a fairer system in place not just who'll pay the biggest loan fee or wage contribution.

A good case in point what we are up against was the loan of Ian Poveda from Leeds where our lot agreed to pay about 12 grand a week for an inexperienced kid.  He then got injured and the Ewood brains trust hadn't negotiated who'd pay his wages or treat him in such a scenario.  Unbelievable really and another sackable offence for whoever agreed to it in my book.

So off he went back to Leeds to heal up whilst we paid a seasons wages for jack shit in return, so with associated expenses that's best part of three quarters of a million quid we'll never see again added to the losses.

Wrong on many levels.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

If I was in charge I’d be doing one based around clicking send on the paperwork. Or receiving confirmation from the EFL. 

My personal cheap signing video would involve each new signing getting to use Waggott as a pinata.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I know I've joked a few times that your seat at Ewood doesn't face the pitch, now I'm absolutely convinvced it doesn't.

Sam Gallagher can be accused of many things, most of them posters have acknowledged in this thread, but to say he has no work ethic is simply not true. 

As I've said a number of times over the years with Gallagher there's putting in a genuine shift then there's just doing one or two bits and pieces to create the impression he's putting in a shift.

Might run for one or two lost causes to make it look as though he's doing something but when it comes to what really matters like bullying the opposition, winning a header, busting a gut to get on the end of a cross or into a dangerous goalscoring position or putting his head/body in where it hurts there's none of that.

• Like 5

From reports Gueye is going to be more like a Rudy style player, prolific in the air, limited in other areas. It’s important we play to his strengths. Hopefully he can have an impact and give defenders something different to think about when they come up against Rovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

They are signing a defender from Juventus for £20 million flew over for a medical at the weekend 

Let's hope they can get it done quicker than us then....

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As I've said a number of times over the years with Gallagher there's putting in a genuine shift then there's just doing one or two bits and pieces to create the impression he's putting in a shift.

Might run for one or two lost causes to make it look as though he's doing something but when it comes to what really matters like bullying the opposition, winning a header, busting a gut to get on the end of a cross or into a dangerous goalscoring position or putting his head/body in where it hurts there's none of that.

Gallagher's problem was and is a lack of instinct and awareness of being in the right position. If it was down to work rate then he wouldn't have a problem. 

He lacks aggression to be sure unless someone winds him up. He should be able to use his body much better, but none of that is to do with effort for me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Frank Stapleton wasn't bad either. 

Was Friedel not a freebie as well? 

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If the replacement scores 7/8 and our total goals output as a team is higher than last year then I will certainly view that as an improvement.

As with all stats, the context can get very complex, but looking at total team performance would be a better indicator. No matter who we keep or sign, we probably won't get another year our of Szmodics like last year, so we've already got goals to replace as it stands.

Agreed with all that. 

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd genuinely be interested to hear what they would say. Because he doesn't do a particularly good job of holding the ball up like Danny Graham did. He certainly didn't directly set them up for many goals with the ball at his feet. He is hard working and powerful (even though he lacks aggression) and seems pretty unselfish, but he hardly seems like a dream strike partner. 

I'm not one of those who thinks he's useless either. I'd be sorry to see him go in some ways, but he's always played his better football when he wasn't the main man. If we don't replace him then he'll go into next year as needing to be our main man assuming Szmodics leaves, so now seems like a good time to cut our losses. 

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. 

I'm not against selling him, if he won't sign then he has to go, I'm just apprehensive about having to replace both him and Szmodics at the same time. Obviously a lot of people think he can be replaced easily, I hope that's the case but I think it's a big ask all at once. 

I'm 100% sure Eustace would rather him extend his contract, rather than try to replace him at the same time as Szmodics. 

23 minutes ago, FE123 said:

From reports Gueye is going to be more like a Rudy style player, prolific in the air, limited in other areas. It’s important we play to his strengths. Hopefully he can have an impact and give defenders something different to think about when they come up against Rovers.

I literally have only seen 2-3 clips of him, so I'm coming from a standing point with this observation, but he didn't look bad with his feet - quite tricky from what I did see.

If it is correct that Szmodics is being sold, and I'm 100% convinced he will be one way or the other this summer, then I don't think many serious clubs would also at the same time entertain selling their only remaining established forward.

This organisation long ago gave up any pretence of being a serious club so of course it stacks up that we'd actively seek a sale of Gallagher simultaneous with selling Szmodics, get both out the door the week before a new season kicks off and then act confused when we are struggling at the bottom of the league.

Pats on the back all around for another £10 million + in the bank and another £25k a week off the wages. I wonder at what point someone will draw a link between this and a £10 million overnight loss for relegation to the third division. Probably never because they are very good at pretending things happen totally beyond our control and through bad luck etc.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Gav said:

I know I've joked a few times that your seat at Ewood doesn't face the pitch, now I'm absolutely convinvced it doesn't.

Sam Gallagher can be accused of many things, most of them posters have acknowledged in this thread, but to say he has no work ethic is simply not true. 

Running around to no purpose does not constitute a "work ethic".

35 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The last paragraph is the truth. Gallagher would appear to have everything going for him - he's big, he's tall, he's a good athlete, he looks like a proper centre forward yet he does none of the above.

The irony is he's often our best defender from corners and set pieces when he's often the first to head the ball away. Perhaps he should reinvent himself as a centre half because I'm certainly finished with watching his pathetic performances up front. Get rid this window please

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 5