BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

• Backroom

If Gally had developed to use the attributes he genuinely has (height, strength, and decent speed for that height), and been a bit more canny, he should’ve been a player in the Kevin Davies mould.

• Like 2

is swag doing the negotiating on our forthcoming transfers,if he is then he`ll be trying to cream a bit off for himself and trying to lowball all of them,would`nt surprise me if all the targets did`nt happen

does anyone know whats happened to the french lads moufame

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Ennis was in poor shape when he joined us and never seemed to get back to full fitness. Tomasson seemed as livid as one can reasonably get in public about it when he realised the physical state Ennis was in. Suggests to me that Ennis isn't very professional.

As for Gally, let's get the negatives out of the way.

If you're looking for a consistent goalscorer, 34 league goals in five seasons without getting into double figures in a single one of them should tell you all you need to know.

He is a big unit, but his inability to use his size to his advantage is astounding. He's a Big Friendly Giant that seems to be unaware of how much bigger he is and how much stronger he should be than other players. I think "soft" would be an apt description.

His ball control, footballing brain, and striker instinct are all poor.

He doesn't seem to enjoy playing football. I can't recall many times when I saw a smile on his face or an air of confidence (which I think is his biggest issue).

He will get injured over innocuous little things. He's had a continual year on year reduction in the number of league appearances here, from 42 in 2019/2020 to 24 in 2023/2024. Don't expect him to be available for the entire season because he's made of glass and the numbers suggest that he's worsening.

Some positives?

He can occasionally score a belter of a goal.

We seem to get better results with him in the side than without. In spite of the earlier comment about his size, there is still a sort of presence there.

He'll head some corners away for you.

I think that's it. From my point of view, he never had the impact that he perhaps should have had, and rather than lose him for free next summer and spent around £10m on him including the transfer fee and five years' worth of high wages (for us), you'll be doing us a favour by reducing that loss to around £7.5m. Ultimately, it's just time to part ways, and it's long overdue that we sold him. Instead, Mowbray gave him a juicy new contract and prolonged the staleness.

In fairness you've missed one of his biggest positives - he works his ass off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Ennis was in poor shape when he joined us and never seemed to get back to full fitness. Tomasson seemed as livid as one can reasonably get in public about it when he realised the physical state Ennis was in. Suggests to me that Ennis isn't very professional.

As for Gally, let's get the negatives out of the way.

If you're looking for a consistent goalscorer, 34 league goals in five seasons without getting into double figures in a single one of them should tell you all you need to know.

He is a big unit, but his inability to use his size to his advantage is astounding. He's a Big Friendly Giant that seems to be unaware of how much bigger he is and how much stronger he should be than other players. I think "soft" would be an apt description.

His ball control, footballing brain, and striker instinct are all poor.

He doesn't seem to enjoy playing football. I can't recall many times when I saw a smile on his face or an air of confidence (which I think is his biggest issue).

He will get injured over innocuous little things. He's had a continual year on year reduction in the number of league appearances here, from 42 in 2019/2020 to 24 in 2023/2024. Don't expect him to be available for the entire season because he's made of glass and the numbers suggest that he's worsening.

Some positives?

He can occasionally score a belter of a goal.

We seem to get better results with him in the side than without. In spite of the earlier comment about his size, there is still a sort of presence there.

He'll head some corners away for you.

I think that's it. From my point of view, he never had the impact that he perhaps should have had, and rather than lose him for free next summer and spent around £10m on him including the transfer fee and five years' worth of high wages (for us), you'll be doing us a favour by reducing that loss to around £7.5m. Ultimately, it's just time to part ways, and it's long overdue that we sold him. Instead, Mowbray gave him a juicy new contract and prolonged the staleness.

All that and you overlooked his biggest positive of all, whoever plays with him usually ends up at the top of the scoring charts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

All that and you overlooked his biggest positive of all, whoever plays with him usually ends up at the top of the scoring charts. 

Do we have to endure a 30 goal season for Ennis coming up then?

2 hours ago, PotterLog said:

Hope Gallagher is a bit better than that last lump we had off you lot 😁

He's a striker who likes running the channels so much he never actually gets in the box and is not good on the ball or finishing. First season he was with us on loan he played more like a proper central striker and scored a few and did okay, but when we bought him we used him as a wide player and that's persisted. We've had years of Gallagher running down the wing to positions where he could cross but 1 - he can't cross, and 2 - there is no one in the box to cross to as our big striker is on the wing......

It's a strange thing to say about a forward but he gets picked because he is effective without the ball. You won't find a more willing runner, he's relentless at pressing, and he is very good defending free kicks (but rubbish at attacking them for some reason). He does give the opposition something to think about with his size and pace - until they realise if he does get the ball it's not that big of a problem as he can do so little with it.

I'd say you might get a reasonable signing if you can get him to play more centrally again, but we've tried it from time to time and it has never worked.

• Like 3

Just now, Tom said:

Did we play Finneran in the cup just so we had a better case at tribunal for his fee?

I think it was more to show him - like Philips - he would get games if he stuck with us. I reckon if we had been safe mid table he would have got more minutes but obviously wasn't an option with the death spiral.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Just seen Gueye described as a ‘clutch player’

What in the name of football hipster does that mean?

It is a saying the use in American sports it means plays well under pressure.

• Like 1

Finneran leaving is disappointing but in my opinion understandable. He is going to a Premier League club who will offer bigger money and can potentially have more scope to do what is best for him.

People criticised Phillips but Finneran could have ended up in a similar position when ready to play games. Cant be let out on loan but not yet in a position to play week in week out. Going to a big Premier League club means that these players wont be 4th or 5th choice, but that in turn allows their clubs to find loan deals without having the dilemma of needing them as cover.

I think some of the vitriol is over the top. I can understand why these young lads opt for bigger clubs and bigger contracts, I think it shows a lack of empathy not to be able to acknowledge it. May work out, may not, but I understand the decision.

• Like 1

As we move into Wednesday, all very well Elliot Jackson posting "these things take time".

More than 50% of Rovers' attempted headline signings in the last 4 windows have ended in cringe inducing embarrassing cock-ups.

The same incompetent numpty CEO is still in charge so supporters have every right to expect there to be a disappointment.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, M_B said:

Gallagher only played 24 league games this season. So how does that explian Szmodic's unbelievable goal tally?

I can accept that a presence up front allows other players to play. But it really does not have to be Sam Gallagher. I think it's just time to part ways and try someone new because I suspect it's getting somewhat stale for all parties.

6 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Just seen Gueye described as a ‘clutch player’

What in the name of football hipster does that mean?

Pretty sure I've seen Gallagher called a "crutch" player on here, did we invent something?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, philipl said:

As we move into Wednesday, all very well Elliot Jackson posting "these things take time".

More than 50% of Rovers' attempted headline signings in the last 4 windows have ended in cringe inducing embarrassing cock-ups.

The same incompetent numpty CEO is still in charge so supporters have every right to expect there to be a disappointment.

thats my feeling as well🙄i doubt very much if we can get deals done for all of the players  who are apparently having medicals

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Finneran leaving is disappointing but in my opinion understandable. He is going to a Premier League club who will offer bigger money and can potentially have more scope to do what is best for him.

People criticised Phillips but Finneran could have ended up in a similar position when ready to play games. Cant be let out on loan but not yet in a position to play week in week out. Going to a big Premier League club means that these players wont be 4th or 5th choice, but that in turn allows their clubs to find loan deals without having the dilemma of needing them as cover.

I think some of the vitriol is over the top. I can understand why these young lads opt for bigger clubs and bigger contracts, I think it shows a lack of empathy not to be able to acknowledge it. May work out, may not, but I understand the decision.

Hope he fails miserably like the other wankers Phillips, Mahoney etc.