BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Have we put in loads of crosses in friendlies (ie not competitive games) in which we have just lacked a big man to head them in?

Point being, we dont have wingers who go on the outside and/or are good crossers. We have been linked with Dembele, again not a good crosser. From what I have read, Gueye's strength lies in the air but I fear without a considerable revamp of our wide options and a change of style, our current personnel aren't very good at crossing. Whatever he said at whatever meeting, he might not get what he wants.

Eustace likes playing long ball football so I can see why a big target man might suit him. But if he specifically thrives off crosses, that is a weakness in our squad so we will struggle to get the most out od that skill. Dolan, Hedges, Markanday and Sigurdsson all prefer to play on the opposite side and cut in. If Rankin Costello plays wide, he drifts in too. Which of our current players are good crossers? 

Pickering and Brittain probably, but will they get far enough forward ?

25 minutes ago, Polky said:

image.thumb.jpeg.41dc814c31c6e59d6050c94e8e85cffd.jpeg

Fans Forum minutes confirming we’re looking for a keeper, left sided centre back, striker (Gueye), and an ‘7’ or an ‘11’

Very interesting snippet that. 

JE and his staff identifying that we lack Pace, Power, Leadership and resilience (doesn't take a genius to work it out tbf) 

I assume that the key positions of GK, CB, No.9 & a No.7 (or 11) are just the key position is to address the identified weaknesses and would be supplemented with additional signings for squad depth.

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pickering and Brittain probably, but will they get far enough forward ?

Brittain puts in the occasional good cross but often either side are a few wayward ones or him turning back. Pickering is usually less likely to get into crossing positions.

Whether Gueye will have the aerial dominance of Gestede for example is a big ask but he had Conway (and Marshall) who were very good crossers. Take them away and Gestede doesnt score half as many.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brittain puts in the occasional good cross but often either side are a few wayward ones or him turning back. Pickering is usually less likely to get into crossing positions.

Whether Gueye will have the aerial dominance of Gestede for example is a big ask but he had Conway (and Marshall) who were very good crossers. Take them away and Gestede doesnt score half as many.

CB is a good crosser of the ball, and has been getting into crossing areas as per JE’s tactics.

JE is also after another winger who presumably can cross a ball. 

The thing we may have to consider is that maybe our wide players (or at least some of them) can put a decent cross in (at least better than what we have seen in recent years), but with Armstrong, Brereton, Szmodics and Gally (who was never great in the air) to aim at, it was actively discouraged or at least seen as not the best choice in most situations

That being said, there are far better crossers of the ball than we have.  I just have a worry that "the next Craig Conway" is seen by someone at the club as being Adam Reach (edit who I cannot believe is only 31 - genuinely thought he was over 35)

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

CB is a good crosser of the ball, and has been getting into crossing areas as per JE’s tactics.

One of the main things that “changed” when JE took over from JDT. 

5 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

So amidst your random repeated lines about WATR meetings, holding the width, how we want to play, what Elliott Jackson thinks.

The answer is, no, you cant name players we have that are good crossers because we dont have them. Therefore my point stands.

You keep asking the same questions. Eustace has told yourself how he wants to player. I've made how the team is being set up, Jackson has. 

So what more do you want? I name you Briitain and Hedges who can cross a ball.  Let's see who else we bring in. 

Welcome to Rovers Yuki. Another one I've looking forward to seeing play for us. Another interesting signing. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Would be great! Both experienced and both solid leaders - wonder if O’riordan will go out on loan? 

No we need 5 centre backs cos we will play 5 at the backs in some games 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nicko reported we want 2 centre backs with our McFadzean and Batth

One of them would be fine, don't see the need for both though.

A younger left footed option would be my preference like the lad from Hull, along with one of the experienced guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Ohashi doesn't look like a wide player to me

It said in this article that he can be a fluid #10 in a 4-3-3. 

He will also suit a 4-2-2 with Gueye/Vale upfront with him. 

Hedges - JRC - Tronny - ? 

Gueye  - Ohashi 

• Like 1

Starting to think the Bristol city chap would be a good signing, very experienced in the league (with what looks like will be a unexperienced front 2) and can score (and cross?)

Goalkeeper, cb and winger (though need more bodies but as a minimum) i think we may stay up.. unless all new signings flop of course. Couple good loans would go a long way

4 minutes ago, alexanders said:

It said in this article that he can be a fluid #10 in a 4-3-3. 

He will also suit a 4-2-2 with Gueye/Vale upfront with him. 

Hedges - JRC - Tronny - ? 

Gueye  - Ohashi 

Which article?  Can you post it please?

A "fluid 10" sounds central to me, not the sort of player I would want trying to whip crosses in for a 6 ft 5 striker

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nicko reported we want 2 centre backs with our McFadzean and Batth

He said we want those particular 2? If we sign one of them, we need a younger, quicker left footed one too. It would be stupid to sign 2 slow and old right footed centre backs.

21 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

We need a couple of wingers to bring pace and crossing ability. Dembele wouldnt bring the latter.

Brittain is hit and miss, if hes our main hope to supply Gueye then I would worry. Obviously thats pre transfers.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You keep asking the same questions. Eustace has told yourself how he wants to player. I've made how the team is being set up, Jackson has. 

So what more do you want? I name you Briitain and Hedges who can cross a ball.  Let's see who else we bring in. 

Welcome to Rovers Yuki. Another one I've looking forward to seeing play for us. Another interesting signing. 

Its not what do I want. I wasnt asking for a detailed breakdown of how we play in friendlies or even how we will likely play this season. I just dont think we have good crossers currently at our disposal and I think its a valid point.

• Like 3