BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Not thrilled that McFadz has signed again. Primarily because he's missed most of pre-season, which combined with his age could be pretty detrimental.

I said a while back I'd be fine with keeping him on with a 6 month deal and 6 month option, though I accept he would probably never sign such a deal so I can live with a year's deal, that was just what I'd have felt comfortable with. But it's really at a late stage for him to join up with everyone. I hope he's been keeping himself in good shape or I don't think he'll add anything.

His wages etc will probably render the Gent fee meaningless...think I'd rather have kept Gent.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

Gent has never been that good (Battys understudy)!

For me Gent is far better than Batty.  I had high hopes for Batty but he seems to be going backwards.  Gent has had a good season in Scotland and is now going to a decent League One club.  Whereas Batty seems to be drifting in the Under-21's.  He needs a move, either on loan or permanently for the sake of his career.  I suspect if Pickering is injured, Brittain will move across and Leo Duru, who looks a real prospect, will come in on the right.

• Like 7

If we do end up selling szmodics I really hope we have a striker lined up that knows the leagues, even if it’s further down the divisions like ss was. It’s good signing all these players from overseas but they are all going to be a gamble if they adapt to the league. Need something a bit less of a gamble to be our go to option 

• Like 1

Anyone know if Mafoumbi (now signed officially, the LT don't seem to have reported it though as far as I can see) takes up one of our foreign player slots? I'm assuming he does even though he's signed for the U21s, as he could play for the first team if we wished. Which makes me wonder if we're done signing players from abroad now. Him, Big Mak and Ohashi would take up 3 slots, and I think Tronstad or Siggy take up the other.

Seemed odd reading that at 19, Mafoumbi is signing his first pro contract. I guess they do things differently in France.

Uncle fadz back I'm not against at all. Thought he was fairly solid last season, bar the one time he got caught out and was sent off. Him batth and hyam in a back five would be the deepest backline ever haha. Win everything in the air though.

15 hours ago, XLM said:

You poor sod

I cannot even describe it as a roller-coaster ride; it’s mostly been like watching an out of control beer truck, going downhill 😅

But, here I am, Rovers are my club. I’m thoroughly invested in it (yes, I know, a terminal illness, but I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan since birth. Cowboys born in 1960; me, shortly thereafter). I was born within eyeshot of the Cotton Bowl, Fair Park, Dallas, Cowboys’ 1st home. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Anyone know if Mafoumbi (now signed officially, the LT don't seem to have reported it though as far as I can see) takes up one of our foreign player slots? I'm assuming he does even though he's signed for the U21s, as he could play for the first team if we wished. Which makes me wonder if we're done signing players from abroad now. Him, Big Mak and Ohashi would take up 3 slots, and I think Tronstad or Siggy take up the other.

Seemed odd reading that at 19, Mafoumbi is signing his first pro contract. I guess they do things differently in France.

Now that is a good question that I do not know the answer to. Quite an important one when we think about recruitment for the rest of the window.

Gordon Greer in, Wes Brown having a medical.

I'm only remotely happy with the McFadzean signing if he's ridiculously cheap, and the plan is for him to get nowhere near the every week XI. Hayden Carter is CB1, and until otherwise sold, Hyam is his partner, Batth should also slot in ahead.

Leadership, Role Model, Organisation, Wisdom etc - all fine... but the man is relegation fodder CB material as a starter vs any team we're hoping to beat. His performances at Leeds and Leicester away we're excellent, (and Coventry at home I'll admit!) but that is the exception to what we face every week. Unless the plan is to get 46 (literal) points next season.

O'Riordan?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WacoRover said:

I cannot even describe it as a roller-coaster ride; it’s mostly been like watching an out of control beer truck, going downhill 😅

But, here I am, Rovers are my club. I’m thoroughly invested in it (yes, I know, a terminal illness, but I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan since birth. Cowboys born in 1960; me, shortly thereafter). I was born within eyeshot of the Cotton Bowl, Fair Park, Dallas, Cowboys’ 1st home. 

Accy Stanley girls played a team over from Dallas on Sunday, FC Sting. 

Excited by the signing of Mafoumbi, got a great record at U19 level and will definitely get a chance in the first team. We've been short of a pacey forward for years, hopefully he can add something different.  

• Like 2

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Gordon Greer in, Wes Brown having a medical.

I'm only remotely happy with the McFadzean signing if he's ridiculously cheap, and the plan is for him to get nowhere near the every week XI. Hayden Carter is CB1, and until otherwise sold, Hyam is his partner, Batth should also slot in ahead.

Leadership, Role Model, Organisation, Wisdom etc - all fine... but the man is relegation fodder CB material as a starter vs any team we're hoping to beat. His performances at Leeds and Leicester away we're excellent, (and Coventry at home I'll admit!) but that is the exception to what we face every week. Unless the plan is to get 46 (literal) points next season.

O'Riordan?

McFadzean will come in when we switch to a back 3 away from home . He won’t feature in a back 4, he will probably also feature towards the end of games that we are a goal up and hanging on.  He certainly won’t let us down, albeit probably not mobile enough to feature in a back 4 anymore.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

Pretty crazy how easily some fans are bought. A few exotic signings and people get giddy when the reality is... 2 of our current best academy products have walked out the door, as well as our main centre forward and our main goal scorer. Replaced with speculative players with unproven quality for pittance and players way past their prime. 

This is an absolute disaster no matter how much you want to dress it up in your mind and lie to yourself. 

Please, please can people stop dressing Sam Gallagher as our “main centre forward” Factually you’re probably correct but ability wise he is absolute dog shit!!!! I will put good money on all our new strikers being more effective.

He’s in his last year so HAD to be sold, Szmodics we can do nothing about and Gent wants first team football.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 6
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Loving life in the 90s 😉

Batth AND McFadzean surprise me, unless maybe a loan out for O'Riordan? Or perhaps he's seen as cover at RB. Or maybe the flexibility to play three at the back?

Bodies needed and bodies we're getting

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

Pretty crazy how easily some fans are bought. A few exotic signings and people get giddy when the reality is... 2 of our current best academy products have walked out the door, as well as our main centre forward and our main goal scorer. Replaced with speculative players with unproven quality for pittance and players way past their prime. 

This is an absolute disaster no matter how much you want to dress it up in your mind and lie to yourself. 

Who’s getting giddy..?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think you're rewriting history a bit on how 'good' of a signing Szmodics was when he joined.

He'd made 39 appearances in the Championship prior to signing for us and hardly shone during that period. He'd had two good seasons in League One, but 'standout' might be a bit strong.

I don't think he was in the team of the year for League One the season before we signed him and there was hardly huge enthusiasm surrounding the signing at the time. Too old to be a prospect and fundamentally unproven at the level we were at. 

It paid off, and then some, but it didn't exactly seem like an incredible signing at the time. 

Sorry, misread you question

Gent and Gallagher being sold is hopefully Rovers saying we wont let you run your contracts down and go on frees any longer. 

I'm glad they're finally doing this, it'll teach players that they sign or they're sold before their contract ends.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

Don't think there's too much giddiness on show. Most on here have been slating Gallagher as not good enough for years, and whilst I'm sorry to see Gent go, a few good months at Motherwell doesn't mean that he's got it in him to perform at the level we want to be.

Edited by Admiral Nelsen