BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

We would have still been entitled to money for him next summer he is under 24

He had a decent spell at Motherwell that doesn't automatically mean he will make it in the championship 

Maybe it's as simple as Eustace having a look at him and not fancying him

Would we get compensation if he went to an SPL team, Scotland technically being a move abroad? Genuinely don't know off the top of my head, but that would have to be a possibility as he's played all his senior football there.

You're right with the rest of it, but if we are effectively being funded by sales from the academy and the academy has produced a player of SPL standard at least this seems an odd way to let them go. Surely it'd be worth the gamble of a contract extension, even if we loan him out for another season and try to sell him for more next summer. 200k isn't going far.

Well if we see off Szmodics and Gallagher then Sigurdsson to follow that would be just about all our goals from last season taken out of a team that just survived.

Quite the gamble with our Championship status but then again this has never ever been about league status, it's all about costs.

If they put half as much effort into bettering our league status as they do into getting rid of our bigger earners and cutting costs we might have been in the PL by now.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Would we get compensation if he went to an SPL team, Scotland technically being a move abroad? Genuinely don't know off the top of my head, but that would have to be a possibility as he's played all his senior football there.

You're right with the rest of it, but if we are effectively being funded by sales from the academy and the academy has produced a player of SPL standard at least this seems an odd way to let them go. Surely it'd be worth the gamble of a contract extension, even if we loan him out for another season and try to sell him for more next summer. 200k isn't going far.

I think Scotland is classed as abroad. It certainly was a few years ago, as I remember Andy Holt having an almighty rant about it when Josh Windass went to Rangers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AspRover said:

No, just English teams

• Like 2

We might be waiting to see if Sammie goes before making a decision on Siggy? I could see a 'keep one of them' situation - they are two of our most senior and probably best paid players and they both really should be playing in the same position, can't afford that.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well if we see off Szmodics and Gallagher then Sigurdsson to follow that would be just about all our goals from last season taken out of a team that just survived.

Quite the gamble with our Championship status but then again this has never ever been about league status, it's all about costs.

If they put half as much effort into bettering our league status as they do into getting rid of our bigger earners and cutting costs we might have been in the PL by now.

How many league goals did SG and Siggy get? 

1 minute ago, AspRover said:

We might be waiting to see if Sammie goes before making a decision on Siggy? I could see a 'keep one of them' situation - they are two of our most senior and probably best paid players and they both really should be playing in the same position, can't afford that.

The policy seems to be sell anyone who has a year left and won’t renew. I’m not sure we’d miss Siggy simply because he appears to be made of glass. I agree though that AMC would be a good fit for him, he just doesn’t have SS’s drive or determination.

Maybe Weimann is being brought in to play the No10 role

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Or there might simply not be anything to make a decision on Siggy about. If nobody tries to buy him, we can't sell him. I'm yet to see any clubs linked.

19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

One thing I’m cautiously pleased with. Gueye, Fadz, Batth addresses a height issue that we’ve been missing for a long time.

All three also seem to be relative ‘hardmen’ which should nicely add to Tronstad and JRC.

Mafoumbi and Ohashi seem to add a bit of pace to our ranks as well.

Seems to me like we’re planning for a battle. Hope we’re up for it.

Thinking the same, hopefully we at least turn up at The Dome on the 31st, not like last time. 

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

In one sense you're obviously right, but at the same time it's a bigger gamble to keep things as they are when we were a hair's breadth from going down.

Obviously it would be nice to keep Gally and Sigurdsson as ressies in case our 'upgrades' aren't up to it, but if it's a choice of sticking or twisting, I don't think keeping what we have is the safer bet to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wonder what is happening with Weimann. Baath and McFadzean are being/have been signed without having to prove their fitness. 

I’d imagine they’re just doing medicals like any other signing? 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’d imagine they’re just doing medicals like any other signing? 🤷🏽‍♂️

I know. My point is that Weimann is having to do a trial to prove himself, rather than just having a medical and then signing, so there is clearly doubt as to whether he will be signing. Batth has barely played for a year for example yet went straight to the stage of terms and medical.

29 minutes ago, cesus said:

I think Scotland is classed as abroad. It certainly was a few years ago, as I remember Andy Holt having an almighty rant about it when Josh Windass went to Rangers.

Different situation, as outside UK, but, I think the Drogheda chairman expressed disappointment when Rovers signed James Brown without having to pay any compensation.

The MacFadzean, and, potentially, Baath deals puzzle me. In the modern game, you really need pace at the back and neither add that. Pace also enables a defender to potentially cover at full back.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know. My point is that Weimann is having to do a trial to prove himself, rather than just having a medical and then signing, so there is clearly doubt as to whether he will be signing. Batth has barely played for a year for example yet went straight to the stage of terms and medical.

Probbly because they tageted Fadz & Batth and its a position they require, Weimann is an incase someone leaves he might be an option so lets quid pro quo he gets to keep fit and we get to have a look see if its something we will pursue

Dunno if it's been discussed already, but minutes of Waggot's recent comments from the Fans Forum:

"Mark Hitchen inquired about the club’s thoughts on the state of the playing squad going into the new season.

“Steve Waggott identified four essential ingredients to improve the senior squad and which the head coach and his backroom staff thought the squad lacked last season: pace, power, resilience, leadership.

“With this in mind, four key positions had been identified in consultation with John Eustace: goalkeeper, left-sides centre-half, No 9, either a ‘7’ or ‘11’."

Seems Gueye is the 9, Ohashi the '7 or 11', neither Baath or McFadz are left sided centre halves, which makes them both coming in a bit weird, but does suggest we might go for a left-sided centre half yet. Hopefully the priority right now is goalkeeper though, for me that's been the biggest need all summer even before Wahlstedt left.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Have you seen Gent play ? I have on numerous occasions, and there is not much about him.

Only a couple of times on TV, and Batty a couple of times live. Very little in it from the games I have personally seen.

But the fact that one has been out and played football for a year, and has gotten a permanent move on the back of it, and one is still stuck playing under 21 football tells me that Gent has currently overtaken Batty.

Why are you constantly arguing it the facts are right there?!

Batty might go on to be a better player and have a better career I don't know, but at this point you can't dispute that Gents career seems to be going in a better direction than Battys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alexanders said:

IMG_1201.jpeg

I'll bite just to add some names and see how far they go.

One of the many Polish CBs playing in Italy: Sebastian Walukiewicz, Mateusz Wieteska or Pawel Dawidowicz perhaps? 

Edited by Angry_Pirate

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I'll bite just to add some names and see how far they go.

One of the many Polish CBs playing in Italy: Sebastian Walukiewicz, Mateusz Wieteska or Pawel Dawidowicz perhaps? 

Any of them left footed?

• Like 1