BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Only a couple of times on TV, and Batty a couple of times live. Very little in it from the games I have personally seen.

But the fact that one has been out and played football for a year, and has gotten a permanent move on the back of it, and one is still stuck playing under 21 football tells me that Gent has currently overtaken Batty.

Why are you constantly arguing it the facts are right there?!

Batty might go on to be a better player and have a better career I don't know, but at this point you can't dispute that Gents career seems to be going in a better direction than Battys.

I would say it is more down to Battys career going backwards. Division one is Gents ceiling, he has done exceedingly well to get there. With the right attitude, Batty has the attributes to be a championship level player.

• Like 1

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Dunno if it's been discussed already, but minutes of Waggot's recent comments from the Fans Forum:

"Mark Hitchen inquired about the club’s thoughts on the state of the playing squad going into the new season.

“Steve Waggott identified four essential ingredients to improve the senior squad and which the head coach and his backroom staff thought the squad lacked last season: pace, power, resilience, leadership.

“With this in mind, four key positions had been identified in consultation with John Eustace: goalkeeper, left-sides centre-half, No 9, either a ‘7’ or ‘11’."

Seems Gueye is the 9, Ohashi the '7 or 11', neither Baath or McFadz are left sided centre halves, which makes them both coming in a bit weird, but does suggest we might go for a left-sided centre half yet. Hopefully the priority right now is goalkeeper though, for me that's been the biggest need all summer even before Wahlstedt left.

Left-sided needn’t be left-footed. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Batth play the left can before at Sunderland.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

Left-sided needn’t be left-footed. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Batth play the left can before at Sunderland.

Maybe in the past, but I wouldn't trust his legs to play wide centre back now any more than Fadz

McFadz and Baath is one of those transfer moments you only get with Venkys.

Norwich fans say Baaths legs have gone. Sunderland fans were saying he was declining by the time he got their poty award. I hope they are wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Sounds like Hyam is off to me

Definitely how the window is playing out as regards players with only a year left who may not want to sign another contract, or who the manager doesn’t rate highly enough.

Also, I don’t think we’ve chosen a captain yet for next season. I think it was Hyam last season after Travis left. (Might be wrong on that though)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Have all 4 of our ESC spots been taken up now then?

Siggy, Gueye, Ohashi & Mafoumbi ?

Pretty sure Gueye will get a work permit, has played recent years in the 2nd tier of Spain and top tier of Belgium (Kaminski got a work permit after playing less games at that level)

Also pretty sure Ohashi and Mafoumbi will need to take up ESC slots

Siggy is the one I genuinely have not idea about, as to if he took up a slot last year, and if he is still here will he still take up a slot this year.  (he may have played enough games last season to qualify for a standard work permit if he didn't already have one)

So by my reckoning, we either have 1 or 2 ESC slots left

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Pretty sure Gueye will get a work permit, has played recent years in the 2nd tier of Spain and top tier of Belgium (Kaminski got a work permit playing at that level)

Also pretty sure Ohashi and Mafoumbi will need to take up ESC slots

Siggy is the one I genuinely have not idea about, as to if he took up a slot last year, and if he is still here will he still take up a slot this year.

So by my reckoning, we either have 1 or 2 ESC slots left

The last two lines of this piece suggest Siggy was an ESC signing.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/june/23/-we-look-forward-to-seeing-him-in-our-iconic-colours-/

• Like 1

Two transfer wickets fell at the 450 mark. Could be a few more before the 500 is up. 

Gotta love Rob McElheny.” Emmy or promotion?”  “Promotion without a doubt .”

Venkys choice - relegation or bankruptcy?   

5 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Thanks for that 🙂

One slot left then

I’ve had a quick look at the criteria to change a player from ESC to non ESC and I don’t believe Siggy met them last season.

So, presuming you’re right about Gueye, yes - 1 slot left.

9 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’ve had a quick look at the criteria to change a player from ESC to non ESC and I don’t believe Siggy met them last season.

So, presuming you’re right about Gueye, yes - 1 slot left.

Is there any chance Siggy played enough last season to qualify for a standard work permit this year?

It may be based on games he was available for, so his injuries may have done him a favour in that regard?

Hoping you still have the criteria open to check because I am being lazy 😉 

8 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Hopefully they can move Siggy on and that's an extra place for a winger that Georgian CB posted further up.

Or yes, he may be sold, which given his wage and being in the last year of his contract, is more than possible

Edited by KentExile

Going for a 37 and a 34 year centre half looks more like planning for League one next season...sorry to be negative but can't see how Fadz or Bath could improve our team. Uä

Edited by neophox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KentExile said:

Is there any chance Siggy played enough last season to qualify for a standard work permit this year?

It may be based on games he was available for, so his injury may have done him a favour in that regard?

Hoping you have the rule book open to check because I am having being lazy 😉 

Or yes, he may be sold, which given his wage and being in the last year of his contract, is more than possible

I do have the rules in front of me 😁😁

You know what, he might meet the following criteria:

played in 25% of our matches and played 50% of the minutes he was available for.

who wants to do the maths…🤔🧐😁

• Like 1