BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 minute ago, jones_rover said:

An interesting thought is that despite us not spending any of the transfer income we've recently received (Wharton, Raya, Gallagher etc), it will boost our stats for FFP immensely - I imagine we'll be making a profit (as alluded to in the recent fan forum minutes).

So, off the back of the hearing this month, if we were somehow able to get rid of Venkys and get a new owner, I think they would be able to spend a decent amount of money without falling foul of FFP.

Didn’t we make a profit in the 22 accounts as we sold the training ground. Maybe the Armstrong fee in their two. 
So that would be profit in two out of three years. 

“Barnsley FC Sporting Director Mladen Sormaz said, “We watched Georgie at Motherwell a lot last season and we feel he is a top prospect for the future who also has the maturity to step straight in an make an impact this year.

"We first entered into discussions with Blackburn in May, but they wanted to take him away for pre-season and assess him, so we started to work on other deals. However, we ultimately made the decision to hold out for Georgie as our top target in that position.”

Let's hope someone somewhere high up at Ewood had the sense to insert add ons, sell on %, first option and maybe even a buy back fee to the Gent deal. 

Of course, we know Steve and Suhail simply took the £200,000 and wanked on it.

• Like 5

It’s a strange one. Finally a youth player has a great loan at a decent level and then we let them go. Just seems odd. I wonder if he wouldn’t sign a new deal or we were low balling him with a crap offer. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Polky said:

“Barnsley FC Sporting Director Mladen Sormaz said, “We watched Georgie at Motherwell a lot last season and we feel he is a top prospect for the future who also has the maturity to step straight in an make an impact this year.

"We first entered into discussions with Blackburn in May, but they wanted to take him away for pre-season and assess him, so we started to work on other deals. However, we ultimately made the decision to hold out for Georgie as our top target in that position.”

Shame really. I had hopes that he would come back and have a good season for us in the back of a seemingly positive loan spell.

He's also supposedly a good crosser of the ball, which makes it even more odd now we've got a striker who is built to get on the end of crosses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Out of interest, why do some believe that Travis will leave? Eustace appears to be favouring a midfield pairing of Travis and Tronstad in the stronger teams that we've put out in preseason, with Buckley being the one trying to fight to get into the first team. Suggests to me that Eustace rates Travis.

I'm aware of the loose link to Stoke City, but I can't see him leaving if he knows he's getting first team football here and evidently wanted by the Head Coach.

They were my thoughts, I'd be surprised if he left. To me, he looks like a player Eustace would want to sign, except we couldn't afford him. 

I never bought the line that the club farmed him out to Ipswich to save money, it never really added up. 

41 minutes ago, alex l said:

Apparently in the final year of his contract and ultimately didn't do enough to sufficiently impress the manager? Or perhaps didn't want to sign a contract without assurance of playing?

The latter apparently. He wanted first team football. Fair play to him. Barnsley are a good club at that level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FE123 said:

Have we considered if Siggy’s phantom injury at the weekend could mean he’s set for a move away? Appears to have been training this week…

I’m confident Siggy will be sold and Hyam will follow suit if the latter doesn’t sign a new deal.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Hyam surely leaves - good riddance 

He was brilliant in his first year and rightly won player of the year. I think that as we were desperately short of defenders last year he was forced back from a bad injury before he was ready, consequently he was playing whilst not fully fit and knackered after a long hard season. He was therefore slow and not as sharp as before. He is a good player and we shouldn’t be wanting to get rid just because of a poor ( but understandable) last half of last season. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

He was brilliant in his first year and rightly won player of the year. I think that as we were desperately short of defenders last year he was forced back from a bad injury before he was ready, consequently he was playing whilst not fully fit and knackered after a long hard season. He was therefore slow and not as sharp as before. He is a good player and we shouldn’t be wanting to get rid just because of a poor ( but understandable) last half of last season. 

And was Coventry's best defender when they finished in the play offs I believe. He needs to improve dramatically on last year, but I really don't get the clamour to see him leave. 

• Like 2

Barnsley were offering a six figure cash sum for Gent

The only surprise to me is why anyone is surprised when we take the money.

It seems the financial crisis engulfing the club has passed some people by.

9 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

I don't rate Hyam personally but what's even worse for me is his attitude.

Not someone you'd want in the trenches with you when the pressure is on

39 minutes ago, M_B said:

To me, he looks like a player Eustace would want to sign, except we couldn't afford him. 

Travis struck me as the type of player Eustace was crying out for last season. I have to say that Buckley doesn't really contribute enough as a Wharton replacement. So it could just be a case of Eustace not having any other option but to play Travis.

I think it was fairly obvious that the players generally didn't like Tomasson. That came out in their interviews and words after he left. Travis, to my mind, was one of them, and I think that's the only reason he (and Buckley) went away. Even Tomasson said Travis wanted to play in a particular position before, rather bizarrely, playing him as a forward-roaming midfielder, which is absolutely not what Travis is.

I guess we will see how it pans out, but I think a signing like Baker would shore us up. I'd expect us to bring in another midfielder with Garrett leaving and Buckley still looking out of favour.

• Like 1

To me it looks likely Buckley may leave...he was loaned out last season and hasn't impressed when returned. Sigurdsson may leave if he don't sign a new contract as well will Dolan if not signing a new deal.

14 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

"Brilliant" in his "first year" is one hell of a stretch. He was good until about Christmas and pretty terrible thereafter as were most of the rest of the team tbf.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

I think it was fairly obvious that the players generally didn't like Tomasson. That came out in their interviews and words after he left. Travis, to my mind, was one of them, and I think that's the only reason he (and Buckley) went away. Even Tomasson said Travis wanted to play in a particular position before, rather bizarrely, playing him as a forward-roaming midfielder, which is absolutely not what Travis is.

I guess we will see how it pans out, but I think a signing like Baker would shore us up. I'd expect us to bring in another midfielder with Garrett leaving and Buckley still looking out of favour.

I'm sure some liked him and some didn't

Szmodics has raved about him being a genius in the media and in at least one podcast over the summer

I am sure that a the ones who played probably liked him, and that those who didn't play as often as they liked probably liked him less

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 4

Just now, neophox said:

To me it looks likely Buckley may leave...he was loaned out last season and hasn't impressed when returned. Sigurdsson may leave if he don't sign a new contract as well will Dolan if not signing a new deal.

He had the armband and I think he is very important back/competition to TnT