BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think at the end of last season, someone on this thread said we were looking to sell.

Mental in my opinion.

What makes you go as far as mental?

I am guessing like me that you didnt watch him at Motherwell. But he is not a natural full back in a back 4 so we needed one in either way. And  he would then have been well down the pecking order.

Just trying to get on your level. You seem to lose all perspective when rating senior players. Pickering is a solid full back, awful in your opinion, Hyam had a poor season and certainly has question marks but has proven he is usually a good CB at this level but you coulnt dislike him any more, I feel like you have a strong opinion on Travis too and you lost all perspective on Gallagher.

Whereas with players totally untested at this level or even at all, the likes of Gilsenan, Whitehall and now Gent, you cant fathom why they arent involved much more.

14 minutes ago, Neal said:

No disrespect but he scored 2 goals for Motherwell last season and is 23 now... Where has he proven he's championship level? Gambling on players as bad as him to score goals will certainly get us relegated. 

Letting academy players like Gent go but keeping Vale is a disgrace. At least Gent excelled in the SPL, Vale certainly didn't.

He's shite. 

Yeah he's no where near good enough.

With Gueye, Leonard, Tyjon and possibly Weimann and Ohashi able to play in the striker role, I can't see Vale being kept around. 

Someone has to take him off our hands though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Just trying to get on your level. You seem to lose all perspective when rating senior players. Pickering is a solid full back, awful in your opinion, Hyam had a poor season and certainly has question marks but has proven he is usually a good CB at this level but you coulnt dislike him any more, I feel like you have a strong opinion on Travis too and you lost all perspective on Gallagher.

I've seen enough of Pickering to know he's not good enough at championship level, awful positioning, gets done 1 on 1 a lot, and let's a ball bounce - not good enough.

Gallagher was never ever a striker his goal record proves that.

Travis looked a world beater but think he has gone backwards, still don't think he's bad.

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I've seen enough of Pickering to know he's not good enough at championship level, awful positioning, gets done 1 on 1 a lot, and let's a ball bounce - not good enough.

Gallagher was never ever a striker his goal record proves that.

Travis looked a world beater but think he has gone backwards, still don't think he's bad.

His positioning is not awful, far from it. Pace is his main issue but he is a steady left back at this level and has proven so over a number of years. Whether he is a top end one, I would say not. I would say average Championship, he certainly though IS good enough for the level.

Point being, you seem to go well over the top with your criticism of average Championship players implying that many arent good enough for the league at all. Yet generate unsubstantiated opinions of players who havent or have barely played senior football. Surely there is a middle ground?

Why do you think letting Gent go is mental?

• Like 5

I don’t see a team being promoted with Pickering as left back. I’d say he is on the poorer side of full backs in this league. We are the only club he has played Championship football for. For context, Adam Henley had over 50 apps for us, and it transpired he was terrible

I have lost count of the amount of goals we have conceded as a result of Pickering being beat or allowing the defender to run at him unchallenged. Same goes for Brittain actually, who I have lost patience with even for all of his attacking options

If Pickering is the average standard for full back in this league then the standard is regressing 

• Like 5

I think the job Eustace did on the defensive side last season was impressive. Was it 4 clean sheets out of the last 6 games? I don’t think that approach will change, I just think we’ll be more effective going forward.

Add a couple of quick wingers and I think we could do more than ok this season. When you don’t concede, you don’t lose games. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Blimey, who's talking about "promotion"? The aim this season with this squad and under this regime will be to stay in this division and not get relegated. 

Why?

I don't think promotion is on the cards, but the relegation talk is a bit premature now that we've actually added to the squad and will likely add a further 3/4 players. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why?

I don't think promotion is on the cards, but the relegation talk is a bit premature now that we've actually added to the squad and will likely add a further 3/4 players. 

My relegation fears have eased ten fold since last week.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, goozburger said:

Out of interest, why do some believe that Travis will leave? Eustace appears to be favouring a midfield pairing of Travis and Tronstad in the stronger teams that we've put out in preseason, with Buckley being the one trying to fight to get into the first team. Suggests to me that Eustace rates Travis.

I'm aware of the loose link to Stoke City, but I can't see him leaving if he knows he's getting first team football here and evidently wanted by the Head Coach.

I think Eustace will fancy using Trav but i think the suits fancy getting rid of his wages and seeing a bit of cash back.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yeah feels like Eustace knows what we're doing to stay up this year.

But all these one year deals and lack of renewals of existing squad does make the following season look a huge challenge. Probably JE is thinking pointless to do any long term planning with the state the clubs in. Just live hand to mouth.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

But all these one year deals and lack of renewals of existing squad does make the following season look a huge challenge. Probably JE is thinking pointless to do any long term planning with the state the clubs in. Just live hand to mouth.

I think it used to be known as, living within your means.

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't think that comes from him it's the bean counters who can only sign off decent wages on one year deals.

Clearly can't afford more than a couple of million in transfer fees and the sales income won't last much more than a year so it's a case of the only way to get experience is no fee, decent wage, short deal.

14 hours ago, islander200 said:

I agree We have a right to feel aggrieved that decent money isn't being spent on proven players with the money brought in and likely to be brought in with Szmodic and possibly Travis and others leaving 

Id say I'm far more positive about our chances staying in the league but that is dependant on the two foreigners showing something and being able to at least hit double figures,and although I don't really want to see McFadzean and Batth playing regularly or together,there are better options than Gamble which was JDTs option 

The worry is if they do cash in on the likes of Travis and Hyam ,and when Szmodic leaves they will be replaced by similar types that we have already signed, when really they we need to be investing money on a bit more proven quality 

It's sickening the players we have lost since the end of JDTS first season, Kaminski, Phillips, Wharton, all gone to premier league clubs as will Szmodic, Brererton via la liga.

You look at the squad now , nobody screams premier league standard .Who the fuck they gonna sell next summer when the bills need paying 

Hopefully the club

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think Eustace will fancy using Trav but i think the suits fancy getting rid of his wages and seeing a bit of cash back.

Like Gallagher, I suspect there will also be an element of having been here for so long (longer than Gallagher, in fact), and whether or not both the club and player feel it's just time for a change. I think last season might have done Travis in. 😄

• Like 1

Pickering is a decent footballer but he would hard pushed to beat Fadz in a race. Any smart manager we play against puts their quickest player on him and he is toast. Needs competition. Also starts season well and then fades

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Perhaps... but a week ago I was pretty confident that this team (minus Szmodics and Gallagher) didn't have 20pts in them over 46 games.

So, despite a half dozen either unknown or old additions (and Weimann), I'm still pretty sure - in fact I'm certain - that we haven't yet got 50pts in this squad - still assuming Szmodics departs.

As it currently stands, If you're not fearing relegation, you're in for a shock, as that's still a very likely outcome.

Basically 1 month left to improve the squad (and a Szmodics outcome) to prove the writing on the wall wrong.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Like Gallagher, I suspect there will also be an element of having been here for so long (longer than Gallagher, in fact), and whether or not both the club and player feel it's just time for a change. I think last season might have done Travis in. 😄

He's probably at that point where he is thinking of the security of a longer contract and signing on fee and he's unlikely to get another good deal here given what's going on.

I'd prefer him in the squad this season though there's been quite a lot of changes it needs some familiar faces who know the club. Given the time and service here and the fact he didn't cost a fee and won't be on monster money he's one i wouldn't mind if he saw his contract out and left for nowt.

Unless someone is offering a million plus it's a bit pointless selling him for peanuts now might as well rinse what we can this season it could be a tough one.