BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Really?!

Over 40 goals from last season are walking through the door before the season starts, what have we replacing them with?

That alone should ring alarms bells and I could go on.

Its amazing what a few signings can do, but are these players really any good? Why are they coming to a mid table Championship club that doesn't pay very well?

I hope I'm wrong, of course I do, but I'm worried, very worried indeed as we are much weaker than last season, no doubt about that.

Different manager, different way of playing. I’ve said before that JE is a pragmatist who will build the team around not conceding. That’s been evident since he’s come in. He’s referenced it himself a few times.

I think the unknowable is how effective we are going forward because without  SS in the last few months of last season we’d never have scored.

I’m optimistic we’ll do ok. JE is no mug and may well prove a lot of people wrong this season. 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Take Szmodics out there are very few goals in the side.

New lads are a huge gamble that might or might not pay off, I personally think it will take a while for them to settle in.

We had this very conversation at the start of last season though, where would the goals come from. Sammie wasn’t expected to score the number of goals he scored, before that BBD was 1000/1 to score 20. The goals will come from somewhere I’m sure. 

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

We had this very conversation at the start of last season though, where would the goals come from. Sammie wasn’t expected to score the number of goals he scored, before that BBD was 1000/1 to score 20. The goals will come from somewhere I’m sure. 

We'll see.

That luck will run out at some point without buying proven replacements.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

Really?!

Over 40 goals from last season are walking through the door before the season starts, what have we replacing them with?

That alone should ring alarms bells and I could go on.

Its amazing what a few signings can do, but are these players really any good? Why are they coming to a mid table Championship club that doesn't pay very well?

I hope I'm wrong, of course I do, but I'm worried, very worried indeed as we are much weaker than last season, no doubt about that.

How many goals walked out the door when BBD and Dack left? We replaced those goals. I’m sure we’ll replace Sammie‘s goals although it will be between a couple of players rather than all falling to one.

Just now, Forever Blue said:

I think people forget just how bad our defending and goalkeeping was last season. Literally schoolboy errors nearly every week.

We lost so many points from the likes of Leo, Pears and Hyam just giving goals away. 

I think having a confident keeper marshalling the defenders would really help eradicate the errors. Knowing there’s a good chance any mistakes will be mopped up by the keeper allows them to play with a little more freedom. The same back 4 were much better with Kaminski! 

• Like 5

Just now, Gamst said:

I think having a confident keeper marshalling the defenders would really help eradicate the errors. Knowing there’s a good chance any mistakes will be mopped up by the keeper allows them to play with a little more freedom. The same back 4 were much better with Kaminski! 

Apart from Sheff Weds and Bristol Cith games the same back four were better under JE. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

Feedback off a Dutch page states Drommel is the more talented keeper. Lange is more confident in his ability and even though not got as much natural talent as Drommel he's a hard worker which has got him to where he is. So it's either ability or someone who's more confident?

It would be very rare for a confident  player, not to have ability.

6 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Apart from Sheff Weds and Bristol Cith games the same back four were better under JE. 

We didn't attack as much. It's easier to defend backs to the wall than defend against counter attacks, especially when your defence lacks pace. But yes we conceded less after the change.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ricky said:

It’s just lazy opinion from people who see it as a simple formula…

Of course it’s a worry to lose goalscorers and they need to be replaced. The club have signed three players this week in forwards positions. (Four including Mafoumbi) and are reportedly after more wingers. So they get it…

FYI - we haven’t signed a “proven goalscorer” at Championship level since Danny Graham and yet since then, we’ve had a number of players score lots of goals… Go figure!

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s just lazy opinion from people who see it as a simple formula…

Every manager in the country will tell you that you don't win games if you don't score goals and the hardest position to fill is the goal scoring position.

Maybe thats lazy opinion too.....

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, rigger said:

It would be very rare for a confident  player, not to have ability.

Exactly, whereas keepers with ability can lose confidence at the drop of a hat.

10 hours ago, AJW said:

Smodzics  will leave on deadline day , leaving us to scrat around trying to find a last minute replacement 

When Szmodics leaves, we will fill his position with what we already have, and live with it.

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We didn't attack as much. It's easier to defend backs to the wall than defend against counter attacks, especially when your defence lacks pace. But yes we conceded less after the change.

JE reminds me a bit of Big Sam/Mourihnio in the way he plays. Very solid with the threat coming from individualism in attacking areas. I think the quality of the winger(s) we sign will be very important to how effective we are going forward. 

JE is a bit of a throwback in the same way Dyche is. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ricky said:

How many goals walked out the door when BBD and Dack left? We replaced those goals. I’m sure we’ll replace Sammie‘s goals although it will be between a couple of players rather than all falling to one.

Hope you're well my friend 👍

We overlapped BBD with Sammi, paid almost £2m and it paid off, we aren't paying £2m now to replace Sammi, Ennis didn't pay off which was a signing of similar ilk. Now we are looking for free transfers with no goal scoring pedigree, big difference.

But where I will concede, is despite reservations every time a goalscorer has walked out of the club, we seem to have found another, but that usually comes with a few quid being spent, not sure we have that few quid these days.  

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

We overlapped BBD with Sammi, paid almost £2m and it paid off, we aren't paying £2m now to replace Sammi, Ennis didn't pay off and now we are looking for free transfers with no goal scoring pedigree, big difference.

But where I will concede, is despite reservations every time a goalscorer has walked out of the club, we seem to have found another, but that usually comes with a few quid being spent, not sure we have that few quid these days.  

We have to hope Weimann. Gueye and Yuki have got goals in them. And whoever else we bring up in to play out wide.

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, lraC said:

A double Dutch wanted. Hard to believe it, but skipping through the thread, looking for Malcolm McLaren stories, will confirm exactly that. 

Give people enough rope and they will hang themselves.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

We overlapped BBD with Sammi, paid almost £2m and it paid off, we aren't paying £2m now to replace Sammi, Ennis didn't pay off which was a signing of similar ilk. Now we are looking for free transfers with no goal scoring pedigree, big difference.

Although I agree some money should be spent on a player with pedigree and a decent age in this country,the Senegal striker wasn't free he was over a million and talk now we are going to pay £2 million for this goalkeeper 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying everything is rosy far from it  but the lad from Belgium has cost money and he was playing at a better level than championship

1 hour ago, FE123 said:

Someone is clearly back giving info to Nicko. I don’t think players who are plying their trade in the top leagues of Holland or Belgium are going to come into the championship and let themselves down. Hopefully he’s a good one, he’s just finishing playing in Go Aheads European Qualifiers and rumours on twitter are that Ajax wanted him as their number 2

Yep he appears to have got more right recently than in the last 5 years so it's no coincidence despite how his groupies might constantly big him up.