BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s just lazy opinion from people who see it as a simple formula…

Of course it’s a worry to lose goalscorers and they need to be replaced. The club have signed three players this week in forwards positions. (Four including Mafoumbi) and are reportedly after more wingers. So they get it…

FYI - we haven’t signed a “proven goalscorer” at Championship level since Danny Graham and yet since then, we’ve had a number of players score lots of goals… Go figure!

It's far lazier though to just say, as the post you quoted did, 'the goals will come from somewhere I'm sure'. Imagine if that was our recruitment stance.

That streak of not signing proven goalscorers since Graham can't continue indefinitely. We've been very, very lucky that players have kept popping up and having top 3 scorer in the league returns. Only 3 teams a season can do that, and we have done it what, 3 of the last 4 seasons? There isn't something written in the stars that Blackburn Rovers must always have a prolific scorer.

However, I don't think these are bad gambits, we have actually signed three proven scorers. None prolific, except Weimann about 3 seasons back, but the other two have steady returns in reasonable leagues that just aren't this one but are probably of roughly comparable standard. J-League maybe a mix of Championship and League One. Hopefully between them we can replace a chunk of Sammi's goals, though it's hard to see how we replace them all unless one of these lads really hits the ground running.

30 minutes ago, Gav said:

Every manager in the country will tell you that you don't win games if you don't score goals and the hardest position to fill is the goal scoring position.

Maybe thats lazy opinion too.....

Read my post, I accept that you need goalscorers. But it’s not as simple as going out signing proven players and AA, BB and SS are living proof of that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

JE reminds me a bit of Big Sam/Mourihnio in the way he plays. Very solid with the threat coming from individualism in attacking areas. I think the quality of the winger(s) we sign will be very important to how effective we are going forward. 

JE is a bit of a throwback in the same way Dyche is. 

I don't think we know enough about JE yet. It was said when he managed Kidderminster he had them playing like a non league Barcelona! I expect more pragmatism until we are safe though (if we get there) and then think he will try to evolve the style. Easier said than done.

I'd be happy to sell Hyam and Pears..  Hyam for me isn't anywhere near mobile enough.. I was just watching that back pass that went in against Wednesday last season... Pears needs to be a no2 at best.. Sell the pair. Easily replaceable in my opinion.. I think Buckley may have a utility IF we sign quick wingers with good movement. Would like to see Ayari come back, preferably on a permanent along with another ball carrier too. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's far lazier though to just say, as the post you quoted did, 'the goals will come from somewhere I'm sure'. Imagine if that was our recruitment stance.

That streak of not signing proven goalscorers since Graham can't continue indefinitely. We've been very, very lucky that players have kept popping up and having top 3 scorer in the league returns. Only 3 teams a season can do that, and we have done it what, 3 of the last 4 seasons? There isn't something written in the stars that Blackburn Rovers must always have a prolific scorer.

However, I don't think these are bad gambits, we have actually signed three proven scorers. None prolific, except Weimann about 3 seasons back, but the other two have steady returns in reasonable leagues that just aren't this one but are probably of roughly comparable standard. J-League maybe a mix of Championship and League One. Hopefully between them we can replace a chunk of Sammi's goals, though it's hard to see how we replace them all unless one of these lads really hits the ground running.

Where did I say “the goals will come from somewhere”??

I said that the Club obviously recognise they need goals, hence why we’ve signed 4 forwards and are looking at more wingers.

Proven goalscorers at any level are a limited resource and hugely expensive. Money that we (and most others) don’t have! 

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Where did I say “the goals will come from somewhere”??

I said that the Club obviously recognise they need goals, hence why we’ve signed 4 forwards and are looking at more wingers.

Proven goalscorers at any level are a limited resource and hugely expensive. Money that we (and most others) don’t have! 

Where did I say that you said that? I was quite clear I was talking about the post you quoted for that part.

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Read my post, I accept that you need goalscorers. But it’s not as simple as going out signing proven players and AA, BB and SS are living proof of that.

I did read it and this 'lazy' reference is a contradiction in terms clearly.

AA and SS had goalscoring pedigree before they came here, not at Championship level, but they scored goals. This new lad scores goals too, but at Mill Hill St Peters level.

Where we can agree is we need goals in this team and fingers crossed the new lads can bring those in abundance. 

• Like 1

From a completely unreliable source and one I shared earlier I thought the keeper we looked at was Massamba Ndiaye from France , although looking back I think that may have been confusion with Mafoumbi and Gueye 

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

AA and SS had goalscoring pedigree before they came here, not at Championship level, but they scored goals. This new lad scores goals too, but at Mill Hill St Peters level.

Where we can agree is we need goals in this team and fingers crossed the new lads can bring those in abundance. 

How is the Belgium league Mill hill st Peter's level Gav?

The Belgium league is a higher standard than the championship 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

This is utter nonsense. Gueye actually has a record from the top Belgian league on par with Mitchy Batschuayi and better than Eidur Gudjohnsen and that for relegated team. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gav said:

Belgian top league = Mill Hill St Peter’s? 🤣🤣🤣

BB had no scoring pedigree whilst AA and SS had only scored in League one. Both had arguably struggled in the Championship. 

Are you suggesting the Belgian top league is worse than League 1? When you get a minute, watch them play and then judge them…Mill Hill St Peter’s must’ve picked up!! 🙌🏽

Edited by Paul Mani

9 minutes ago, alexanders said:

This is utter nonsense. Gueye actually has a record from the top Belgian league on par with Mitchy Batschuayi and better than Eidur Gudjohnsen and that for relegated team. 

In the videos and that one game last night, I can see why. He’s a threat…he plays in the width of the box and is always in and around the areas you need to be to score once the team is in the last third.

Id imagine the reason he hasn’t established himself in the top top leagues is down to his conversion rates. But that’s the perfect profile for us because IF he finds his shooting boots (Like AA, BB & SS did) then he will score a bucket load of goals 🤞🏽

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gamst21 said:

Looks a decent keeper Lange 

Hmmm… seems to spill a lot of shots directly in front of him in this highlight reel. Almost a shame that there’s no such thing as a “lowlight reel” to understand if that’s a common problem.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

How is the Belgium league Mill hill st Peter's level Gav?

The Belgium league is a higher standard than the championship 

15 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, he did score 11 goals in a relegation season last year, but no goals in a season long loan in Spanish second division and nothing to write home about in Belgium second division (Mill Hill St peters 👍) either.

But I wish him luck as we all do.

• Like 1

Plenty of good players have come out of the Belgian league - not least the best goalkeeper we have had in recent years in Kaminski. 

Also calling Sammie a 'proven goalscorer' at the time we signed him is stretching it a bit - he was averaging goal every four games or so in league one in his mid 20s.

• Like 6

Just now, AspRover said:

Plenty of good players have come out of the Belgian league - not least the best goalkeeper we have had in recent years in Kaminski. 

Also calling Sammie a 'proven goalscorer' at the time we signed him is stretching it a bit - he was averaging goal every four games or so in league one in his mid 20s.

The Dingle promotion team a couple of years ago was flooded with them

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, he did score 11 goals in a relegation season last year, but no goals in a season long loan in Spanish second division and nothing to write home about in Belgium second division (Mill Hill St peters 👍) either.

I cannot for the life of me think why a Spanish side signed him mate!! 🤣🤣

He’s a proper battering ram…I can only imagine the disgust in Spain as he ran around slamming into folk! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There does seem to be a bit of a theme in those initials though. Could we get 20 goals out of Danny Dyer?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Hmmm… seems to spill a lot of shots directly in front of him in this highlight reel. Almost a shame that there’s no such thing as a “lowlight reel” to understand if that’s a common problem.

I noticed that too. I also thought the vast majority were pretty average saves. Although he does seem to be good at closing players down, and that triple save was top top drawer.

With a keeper it's all about consistency, and the bits you get wrong as much as the bits you get right, so it's probably even harder to judge from a highlight reel than other positions. I bet you could even make a reel of Pears where he looks top class.

The Greek lad (Stergiakis?) looked like an absolute find from his clips. Did he even play a first team game?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

He was playing in the top division in Belgium not the second division .

When we signed Armstrong he had struggled in his two previous loans and Szmodic had never scored more than 6 in a season at championship level 

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I noticed that too. I also thought the vast majority were pretty average saves. Although he does seem to be good at closing players down, and that triple save was top top drawer.

With a keeper it's all about consistency, and the bits you get wrong as much as the bits you get right, so it's probably even harder to judge from a highlight reel than other positions. I bet you could even make a reel of Pears where he looks top class.

We could of course be especially critical of this position, given how poor our options were last season.

He did seem to get lucky a few times and if that can be described as a trait, I’d take a lucky keeper over any other type.

7 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

There does seem to be a bit of a theme in those initials though. Could we get 20 goals out of Danny Dyer?

Hang on though, BB was crap. BBD was superb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

I'm sure someone on here and on this thread 2 or so months ago mentioned Drommel. It was such a left field call that people were mixing them up with 'Drameh' from Hull.

Fair play to whoever called that.

I was literally thinking the same thing this morning and wasn't sure where I'd seen/heard it.