BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Where you hearing that from? It's the complete opposite to what I've heard.

The podcast at end of season he said he was happy here, he only signed a contract in December, every players dream to play at the highest level, if a bid comes in from a prem team he hopes the club are understanding 

I think he does deserve a move to the prem, could be his last chance but at the same time the club shouldn't be bending over backwards to make that happen .Pay a reasonable price and the club will allow him to leave.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I have a feeling that a gentleman's agreement may have been made when Szmodics signed his contract extension with us last season, possibly in a similar vain to what might have been discussed with Phillips and Wharton when they signed their contracts; that the club would work to move them on to bigger things if they helped the club protect their value.

Surely nobody, except Ipswich Town, thinks that £6m or £8m plus add-ons is anywhere close to what is acceptable for the Championship's top scorer last season. But, if the Szmodics camp isn't happy with the club officials for not accepting bids of that value, then it could well be that they are not honouring their word to move him on after the value he's given to the club.

It's all an assumption, of course, but I think that's what has happened.

See I think if a gentlemans agreement of £8 million does exist then he would be an Ipswich player already 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Tommy mate, what do you think he’s going to say? 

Theres no point arguing it really.

If you think Sammie will down tools and strop if a move doesn't materialise then you are misjudging his character massively. If he's still here at the end of the window he will throw himself into this season with the same hunger and desire as the last. He is very happy at Rovers.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

See I think if a gentlemans agreement of £8 million does exist then he would be an Ipswich player already 

I'm not referring to a figure. I'm just referring to the club and player perhaps having a loose agreement that, if they sign the contract to protect their value for the sake of Rovers (and let's say we gave a fair crack of the whip and some faith in Phillips, Wharton, and Szmodics), the club will then help them move on for an acceptable fee in the next couple of transfer windows.

I was surprised when all three of the above players signed contract extensions (or in the case of Phillips, his first professional contract).

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

Could also be that Szmodics is stalling hoping for interest from elsewhere. 

It's been reported in a couple of places that he would be keen on the move to Ipswich. He's from Colchester, after all, so a move to a London club (or nearby) would be ideal for him, you'd think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If the gentleman's agreement was with Greg Broughton, he's kind of fucked really. Maybe that's the issue and it wouldn't surprise me if slippery steve  was telling him exactly that

8 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Go ahead eagles want 7million euros! (around £5.5m I think) surely thats just not right

https://sportwitness.co.uk/blackburn-personal-agreement-player-first-choice-back-identified/

Can't see our cheepskates offering more than £1.5m plus addons at very most

Yeah that seems highly unlikely.

Just now, goozburger said:

I'm not referring to a figure. I'm just referring to the club and player perhaps having a loose agreement that, if they sign the contract to protect their value for the sake of Rovers (and let's say we gave a fair crack of the whip and some faith in Phillips, Wharton, and Szmodics), the club will then help them move on for an acceptable fee in the next couple of transfer windows.

I was surprised when all three of the above players signed contract extensions (or in the case of Phillips, his first professional contract).

Yeah but the only reason Szmodic would have to be unhappy with Rovers in that case would be if we are saying no to bids matching whatever the gentleman's agreement figure was

Ipswich's first bid was rejected at £6 million if the media speculation is to be believed,that offer for a guy who just scored 30 goals and was top scorer in the division is just taking the piss, Szmodic isn't daft he knows we ain't going to accept peanuts,if he is still here it will be because nobody was willing to pay the money for him ,and yeah he might be disappointed but we will see no less effort from him

• Like 4

It seems like only Ipswich are willing to take a punt at present.  No point taking a lowish offer for the sake of it.  They are likely to come straight back down so not a team he 'must' sign for. 

All it takes is for a couple of lower prem clubs to get early injuries and they'd likely come knocking at the end of the window

Also, if Szmodic starts off in a similar vein to last year, his value will increase as he'll lose the 'one season wonder' tag.  Could have far more suitors come the Jan window.

Better for him and us. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

If the gentleman's agreement was with Greg Broughton, he's kind of fucked really. Maybe that's the issue and it wouldn't surprise me if slippery steve  was telling him exactly that

Why would you make that agreement tho when he renewed, he still had a decent amount of time on his initial contract.That contract was about rewarding him ,as I'd expect his wages jumped significantly from what he was on per week initially.

And also if it was around the time he renewed his contract,why wasn't it put in as a Clause in the contract and make it binding?

Plus can anyone but the owners here set a price for a player?

Just doesn't seem logical to me but I suppose I have seen dafter things happen 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TommyRovers said:

If you think Sammie will down tools and strop if a move doesn't materialise then you are misjudging his character massively. If he's still here at the end of the window he will throw himself into this season with the same hunger and desire as the last. He is very happy at Rovers.

Looking at the incomings we’ve built a team without him, he needs to go this window, not just for his sake but for the sake of the best fee possible.

19 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Go ahead eagles want 7million euros! (around £5.5m I think) surely thats just not right

https://sportwitness.co.uk/blackburn-personal-agreement-player-first-choice-back-identified/

They've got his first name wrong so not sure how reliable they are..!

• Like 6

Don't think it's anything to do with Swag or Broughton. Over the years Venkys take a liking to certain players. Rhodes,Arma,Brererton.if clubs don't hit there valuation they don't go. Main reason Brereton walked for free. Rhodes had to wait for his move

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

If they’ve gone to the trouble of speaking to the player, Rovers will know the fee is affordable. Whether they want to pay it or not will be another question. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TommyRovers said:

How do you know his character so well?

The soundbites on podcasts etc are what every single player would say. Would love to play in the Premier League, but I am happy at my current club. Of course there is a chance that he would be in a strop if he didnt get a move.

Doesnt mean we should just let him go regardless of if we get a reasonable offer, and if he stays eventually I am sure he would suck it up and play because it is in everyones best interests. But dont be naive enough to read too much into what he says in public.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TommyRovers said:

The man himself is a good start. Somewhere in this interview. 

So yeah not the past few weeks. Why do you think he's not playing? There's toys on the floor.

Just to point out, there are no links of reputable substance that indicate Szmodics is unhappy and there never has been. You simply need to look at the training videos etc to see this too... 

If any of you are taking the Team Talk article as truth then have a word with yourself, journalists always spout shite in order for clicks/to generate views.

Will Szmods be here at the end of the window? I can't honestly say, I don't think so but as Rovers fans we should accept this and be appreciative for him single handedly saving our behinds, if he is will he spit the dummy out? No... 

We may be a shitshow of a club in general, but we are still the ones that gave Szmods his big chance to step up (as he has said in similar terms in the podcast with Big Sam).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

So yeah not the past few weeks. Why do you think he's not playing? There's toys on the floor.

Same reason Gent and Gallagher didn't play - the club doesn't want to risk the player getting injured before a transfer move.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, AVE1875 said:

Just to point out, there are no links of reputable substance that indicate Szmodics is unhappy and there never has been. You simply need to look at the training videos etc to see this too... 

If any of you are taking the Team Talk article as truth then have a word with yourself, journalists always spout shite in order for clicks/to generate views.

Will Szmods be here at the end of the window? I can't honestly say, I don't think so but as Rovers fans we should accept this and be appreciative for him single handedly saving our behinds, if he is will he spit the dummy out? No... 

We may be a shitshow of a club in general, but we are still the ones that gave Szmods his big chance to step up (as he has said in similar terms in the podcast with Big Sam).

Its not about sources, but regardless of what standard cliches he has said publically or how he has appeared in club edited videos of training. There is a chance that if we dont agree a sale to a potentially last chance at playing in the Premier League and a massive wage increase, he may not react well.

Doesnt mean we should allow him to go if a reasonable bid isnt made. But still, he may well spit his dummy out short term.