BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

I don't expect Sammie Szmodics to down tools and kick off, Yes he would take a move to PL club if its happens but as he said during the podcast with Big Sam, he is happy to stay. 

Also Its down to Ipswich to offer what we want and a deal that's suit us meaning we can invest some of the money on a couple of signings. We need to have deadline when talks should end and he stays here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

I’m starting to wonder if the supposed gentleman’s agreement between SS, his agent and Rovers that he can leave for £8m to a Prem club, is bollocks. 

do you not think it would have been agree by now if it has £8m release clause? 

One thing you're possibly overlooking is that perhaps the "gentleman's agreement" was made via Greg the egg. Who of course appears to have been pretty useless at his job but was well mannered, a gentleman you could say.

And now....   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

do you not think it would have been agree by now if it has £8m release clause? 

I genuinely believe 4/5 of the Premier League would have him as a league cup/ squad player at that price. I'd also think most the of Champ teams with parachute payments would too.

RE Szmodics

The best predictor or future behaviours is often past behaviour

When Rovers signed Szmodics.  he played for 78 mins for Peterborough in a friendly on the 30th July and then signed for Rovers on 1st August.  

A few weeks into the season, the Peterborough owner/chairman did an interview  

"You go through the Szmodics deal. First off, he wanted to go and he will tell you that himself. He was [coming up] 27 and this was his chance to get a good payday."

"He'd been really, really good for us."

"To be fair to the player and his agent, with the first few offers they were cool because they understood they weren't great."

"Then when the bids were better, and it's not a dig at them, at that stage the player is saying you're stopping me getting a really good move to a really good football club on more money."

"The problem was that there was no other club that could compete so I could inch the deal up."

Despite the above quotes, Szmodics still played for his club in friendlies.   Based on this, I see no reason why if Rovers asked Szmodics to play (in friendlies and/or competitive games), he would refuse to do so.

I imagine the scenario is almost identical, to what is described in that interview, however Rovers seem to have a policy (probably set by Venkys/Waggott rather than Eustace etc) of not playing players who they are trying to sell (eg Gallagher, Gent, Adam Wharton), probably because they cant afford for the deal not to happen.

Obviously speculation on my part, but based on what Szmodics and his agent did in an almost identical situation (wanting a move to a club in a higher division on probably 3 or 4 times his current salary) 2 years ago

Edit - I am sure he will go when the bid reaches £10M + suitable add on's, which is surely not ridiculous for a player in his position.  Boro got that amount for Akpom who was a similar age, and also had one stand our season but only had 1 year left on his contract.

Another Edit - If Szmodics doesn't have his move by Friday, Would he and his agent not think that his best chance of getting a move would be playing and banging in a goal or two against Derby?

Last Edit - Just had a quick check, he also did not kick off, or refuse to play before moves from Colchester to Bristol City, or Bristol City to Peterborough, although the Bristol move was end of contract, and the Peterborough move was a "backwards step" which began with a loan)

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't expect Sammie Szmodics to down tools and kick off, Yes he would take a move to PL club if its happens but as he said during the podcast with Big Sam, he is happy to stay. 

Also Its down to Ipswich to offer what we want and a deal that's suit us meaning we can invest some of the money on a couple of signings. We need to have deadline when talks should end and he stays here

He isnt going to say "if I am denied my move of a lifetime I will kick off" is he.

He’ll be off will Szmodics. The club want the money and Szmodics wants the move. If we are haggling and waiting for the fee we want we have to respect that to a degree, as we would be the first to complain if it came out that he’d gone on the cheap. Personally any fee of £10 million plus for a player of his age and only one stand out season when we signed him for less than 2 million 2 years ago represents good business by the club.

I can see low fee buys for a GK, left back and a wide player (probably all coming in from abroad) with a couple of loans to bulk the squad up at the end of August will see our business done.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

One thing you're possibly overlooking is that perhaps the "gentleman's agreement" was made via Greg the egg. Who of course appears to have been pretty useless at his job but was well mannered, a gentleman you could say.

And now....   

Maybe this is one of the reasons why GB was left Rovers

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He isnt going to say "if I am denied my move of a lifetime I will kick off" is he.

far too cynical you are and not believing that Sammie was actually telling the truth. Eustace has said he has been the same in training as always. Something he didn't need to say

• J*B unpinned this topic
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

far too cynical you are and not believing that Sammie was actually telling the truth. Eustace has said he has been the same in training as always. Something he didn't need to say

Or equally, far too naive. His big career move hasnt been denied yet.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Personally think it's you who is far too gullible/naive to everything Rovers.

• Like 1

There’s a difference between Szmodics being happy a day after winning golden boot and the season finishing versus 6 weeks later with a Prem team (and a hefty salary hike), having bids rejected.

Can’t see him kicking up a stink, but you’re in denial if you think he’s happy with that. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Or equally, far too naive. His big career move hasnt been denied yet.

Naive about what

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Personally think it's you who is far too gullible/naive to everything Rovers.

wrong. I just dont believe everything is negative or bad at Rovers. I said last weekend that Nicko comments would be about us being busy and guess what we signed 6 players within 48 hours. Not doom and gloom like others. 

Rovers looked to make some good decent moves in the transfer market and hopefully we can add at least another 4 players. Eustace credited Park, Gestede and Owen with these transfers. lets hope for 1 or 2 signings this week

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whats happening with De Lange?

same as yesterday, trying to get a deal 

De Lange would get a work permit so wouldn't be one of our 4 ESC players

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Naive about what

wrong. I just dont believe everything is negative or bad at Rovers. I said last weekend that Nicko comments would be about us being busy and guess what we signed 6 players within 48 hours. Not doom and gloom like others. 

Rovers looked to make some good decent moves in the transfer market and hopefully we can add at least another 4 players. Eustace credited Park, Gestede and Owen with these transfers. lets hope for 1 or 2 signings this week

Players trotting out the same line they all say about potential moves. Would love to play Premier League but love it at my current club. If he is denied then he may well not react well as this could be his final chance.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nicko news. 

Rovers looking into another Japanese play Ryo Germain who is alternative to Dembele

We have 1 ESC space left

Rovers and Stoke are talking over a swap deal for Travis and Baker 

This would be poor business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Players trotting out the same line they all say about potential moves. Would love to play Premier League but love it at my current club. If he is denied then he may well not react well as this could be his final chance.

Well down to Ipswich to get a move on and offer us what we want and a fair price. £10m plus add ons up to 12/15m is a fair price for someone in their prime, 33 goals last season and very good intelligence smart player. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

same as yesterday, trying to get a deal 

De Lange would get a work permit so wouldn't be one of our 4 ESC players

I thought a deal was very close?

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

This would be poor business.

We only have 3 midfielders so swapping one for another doesnt really fix the problem either.