BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well down to Ipswich to get a move on and offer us what we want and a fair price. £10m plus add ons up to 12/15m is a fair price for someone in their prime, 33 goals last season and very good intelligence smart player. 

Absolutely, I am not saying we should give him away. But if we dont sell him he wont be happy.

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

This would be poor business.

If we are spending anything close to 2 million on that keeper then it’s no surprise we’re pulling away from dembele…The lad from the Japanese league will probably be another peanuts deal.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nicko news. 

Rovers looking into another Japanese play Ryo Germain who is alternative to Dembele

We have 1 ESC space left

Rovers and Stoke are talking over a swap deal for Travis and Baker 

Feels like a very different approach to scouting with John Park. Under Broughton it felt like everything was stats based whilst under Park it feels a bit more old school. Someone who has bounced around a lot and has a lot of contacts in the game. Strikes me as a bloke with a notepad of good players who knows who to call to get the deal done.

Last time he was here we brought in JpVH and Khadra who were both huge parts of our promotion push (plus Hedges). Gives me a little hope that those we've brought in will be better than last seasons unknowns in Wahlstedt and Telalovic. 

The Japanese connections definitely feel like players he's watched whilst up in Scotland. Time will tell whether they cut the mustard. I personally liked Broughton and felt with proper backing he could have done a good job, but his bargain signings proved to be dreadful and a major blot on his record here. Hopefully this new approach bears more fruit. 

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Germain is a 29 year old striker so I dont see how he is an alternative if we want a pacy winger.

Swapping Baker for Travis doesnt solve the fact that we need another body in midfield.

Yes it’s definitely not an alternative, I presume our pace will come from a loan, probably that Liverpool lad.

Germain doesn’t fit the bill unless he’s coming in for next to nothing. Can’t see that happening, we won’t be giving him 3 years aged 29. Same with Baker unfortunately. I wonder if all this talk is him trying to push a move out of Stoke? He’s moved around a lot in his career. Can’t see either of those happening.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought a deal was very close?

Nicko has said to me its got a strong chance of happening

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely, I am not saying we should give him away. But if we dont sell him he wont be happy.

Clearly wouldn't be happy if he doesn't happen, but Ipswich need to offer what we wanted. This haggling and messing around does annoyed me and Luton did it last summer with Kaminski

2 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Feels like a very different approach to scouting with John Park. Under Broughton it felt like everything was stats based whilst under Park it feels a bit more old school. Someone who has bounced around a lot and has a lot of contacts in the game. Strikes me as a bloke with a notepad of good players who knows who to call to get the deal done.

Last time he was here we brought in JpVH and Khadra who were both huge parts of our promotion push (plus Hedges). Gives me a little hope that those we've brought in will be better than last seasons unknowns in Wahlstedt and Telalovic. 

The Japanese connections definitely feel like players he's watched whilst up in Scotland. Time will tell whether they cut the mustard. I personally liked Broughton and felt with proper backing he could have done a good job, but his bargain signings proved to be dreadful and a major blot on his record here. Hopefully this new approach bears more fruit. 

Park does seem to have plenty of different connects out there in the world, with Gestede connects to French and Belgium, Eustace credited Adam Owen aswell in his interview post match on Friday

Someone said on here that Rovers are Targeting players with release clauses 

I feel like some will only be happy if we sell sammie we have been told various times of things like theres definitely a release clause in his contract or Ipswich would not bid so low too there's a spoken agreement he can go for 8m to now he will be unhappy if we don't let him go on the cheap. I want to keep him otherwise get a deal that favours us  not Ipswich cause he might be angry.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Naive about what

wrong. I just dont believe everything is negative or bad at Rovers. I said last weekend that Nicko comments would be about us being busy and guess what we signed 6 players within 48 hours. Not doom and gloom like others. 

Rovers looked to make some good decent moves in the transfer market and hopefully we can add at least another 4 players. Eustace credited Park, Gestede and Owen with these transfers. lets hope for 1 or 2 signings this week

I find it odd that you consider signing a number of players in a short time period to be a barometer of whether you think things are bad or not.

I don't see what the relevance of this is or why it convinces you that things aren't that bad at the club.

I think we are all relieved to see some transfer activity at long last after nothing all summer and getting alarmingly close to the start of the season without reinforcements. We are a long way off being able to say whether these signings are any good.

But whether they are good, bad, middling - it still doesn't tell me that the club is in anything other than short term firefighting mode in dealing with a major financial crisis. We are signing people who are big gambles and people who are coming to the end of their Championship careers.

Some will say that's just the way it has to be for us. But it doesn't, our activity as recently as 2022 with Hyam, Szmodics and Brittain shows that we can actually spend some money and sign people from Championship rivals or top end League One players. 

Getting a few signings over the line is good, necessary and hopefully these players work out ok for us. But that doesn't mean the club is in a good or healthy place. It just means we've used a very small % of our income on some attempt to strengthen what was a woefully short squad.

1 minute ago, FE123 said:

Germain doesn’t fit the bill unless he’s coming in for next to nothing. Can’t see that happening, we won’t be giving him 3 years aged 29. Same with Baker unfortunately. I wonder if all this talk is him trying to push a move out of Stoke? He’s moved around a lot in his career. Can’t see either of those happening.

He has only ever transferred clubs once, all his other moves were loans when he was at Chelsea

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lewis-baker/profil/spieler/198589

Cant see it happening unless it would be on a  lower wage than Travis (which I cannot imagine it would be, Stoke were throwing money around when they signed Baker) to allow Rovers more wiggle room in their wage budget, or unless Stoke are buying Trav and Baker comes this way on loan maybe?

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Germain is a 29 year old striker so I dont see how he is an alternative if we want a pacy winger.

Swapping Baker for Travis doesnt solve the fact that we need another body in midfield.

Know zero about Germain. I think a pacey winger is what we need. Gordon would fit the bill from what a friend told me about him. I would like permanent winger signing and loan winger if we sold Szmodics and Sigurdsson left. 

7 minutes ago, FE123 said:

It appears Stoke want Travis and We want Baker. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

21 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

If we are spending anything close to 2 million on that keeper then it’s no surprise we’re pulling away from dembele…The lad from the Japanese league will probably be another peanuts deal.

More the Travis/Baker swap than Germain, I have no idea who he is.

8 minutes ago, KentExile said:

He has only ever transferred clubs once, all his other moves were loans when he was at Chelsea

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lewis-baker/profil/spieler/198589

Cant see it happening unless it would be on a  lower wage than Travis (which I cannot imagine it would be, Stoke were throwing money around when they signed Baker) to allow Rovers more wiggle room in their wage budget, or unless Stoke are buying Trav and Baker comes this way on loan maybe?

Can’t say I’ve paid much attention to Baker over the years but on the face of it looks an odd swap deal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

And or he knows that it’s going to be JRC and Tronstad in the middle.

Been playing all pre season with all 3 of them in the midfield.

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

And or he knows that it’s going to be JRC and Tronstad in the middle.

I thought JRC was going to play RM as in pre-season but who knows. 

Maybe JE just doesn’t rate Travis and thinks Baker is a better player. 

6 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Can’t say I’ve paid much attention to Baker over the years but on the face of it looks an odd swap deal. 

Completely different profile of player to Travis, more a deep laying midfielder with a decent long range shot on him rather than the pressing Travis offers.  Closer to Tronstad in style (so having 2 of a similar age & standard in the same 11 seems a very odd decision) unless my mind is playing tricks on me

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

A main strength of Baker is dead balls, which there will be a lot more emphasis on under JE, especially with a centre forward who can attack the ball. We don’t really have anyone else who can fill that role (think Pickering and Britain have been doing it pre-season). That’s the only reason I can see that we would be looking at him. Still don’t think it fits with our recruitment pattern over recent years and can’t see a decent contract for him being handed out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

One thing you're possibly overlooking is that perhaps the "gentleman's agreement" was made via Greg the egg. Who of course appears to have been pretty useless at his job but was well mannered, a gentleman you could say.

And now....   

As if Greg or anyone at the club has the authority to set player prices or make gentlemen's agreements the owners will be doing that 

Bring me all the Japanese players we can get... We've seen over the years, that their work ethic and intensity is top notch..they are good professionals, plus maybe it might bring in some extra Japanese investment 

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

Baker is more useful in terms of he'll have a pop from distance and he offers a threat on set pieces.  Travis offers usually average performances and shit-housery.

Not much in it really, but as people have said - we need an extra body really rather than a swap.

I was reading something last week that said both we and Stoke had made an offer to a free agent midfielder and he was mulling them over.  Not sure if it was nonsense or if we've both moved on tbh.

I hope its not Fleck.

Ambitious move for Dennis Praet maybe 🤣

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

Bring me all the Japanese players we can get... We've seen over the years, that they work ethic and intensity is top notch..they are good professionals, plus maybe it might bring in some extra Japanese investment 

It seems to be a trait in East Asian teams in general.  South Korea are definitely similar

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Completely different profile of player to Travis, more a deep laying midfielder with a decent long range shot on him rather than the pressing Travis offers.  Closer to Tronstad in style (so having 2 of a similar age & standard in the same 11 seems a very odd decision) unless my mind is playing tricks on me

I’ve just had a look on their forum and they seem very much in favour of the swap deal. Seems Baker is a bit more of an attacking CM as one comment says he’s good for a few goals but very little else.

A goal scoring CM will do for me though. 

One’s things for certain, the supposed policy of only signing/playing young players has died a death. We’re no longer obsessed with being a development club as was the mantra under Broughton. Eustace has certainly won that battle. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 2