BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

3 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Or Rovers could haggle for an extra day, get an extra £100K or so closer on each deal, and be able to use the money "saved" to afford an extra/slightly better loanee.

Either way at this stage, the new keeper is unlikely to be in place before registration cut off for Fridays game

Dragging our heels again 

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think it's time for Rovers to stop pissing about with SS and de Lange deals.

Reportedly, we now have differences of £500k and £400k respectively.  In the overall scheme of things, these amounts are chicken shit.  Our season kicks-off in 3 days and JE, our group and the individuals themselves need clarity and to know where they stand.  When you are so close you just find a feckin way through accepting very rarely will you get the price you want for a sale and, conversely, you end up paying a bit for a purchase.

The transfer window closes in 24 days not 24hrs. We don’t know what the discrepancy is. It could be £400k or £4m, I suspect it’s closer to the former or the reports would be less certain from Holland, but here’s a thought…why not exercise a bit of patience and see how it unfolds?

I don’t think anyone would’ve predicted we’d sign 6 players last week before being formally linked to a goalkeeper with a reputed fee of €2m?

The focus for me is on the game now. I don’t think any further significant signings will be made until we sell someone (most likely SS).

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think it's time for Rovers to stop pissing about with SS and de Lange deals.

Reportedly, we now have differences of £500k and £400k respectively.  In the overall scheme of things, these amounts are chicken shit.  Our season kicks-off in 3 days and JE, our group and the individuals themselves need clarity and to know where they stand.  When you are so close you just find a feckin way through accepting very rarely will you get the price you want for a sale and, conversely, you end up paying a bit for a purchase.

From £800k to £1.250 is an extra 53% on top of our offer. We'll meet in the middle somewhere, but if we're to pay everyone's asking price all the time then we would end up being ripped off. Perfectly normal with a little negotiations. He won't be ready for the first match anyway, and one would think we have options here. 

7 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Or Rovers could haggle for an extra day, get an extra £100K or so closer on each deal, and be able to use the money "saved" to afford an extra/slightly better loanee.

Either way at this stage, the new keeper is unlikely to be in place before registration cut off for Fridays game

Agreed - Its ironic how keen some are to write off £400k (FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS) of someone else’s money, whilst moaning that the pasties have gone up a quid at the ground! 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣🤣

• Like 9
  • Downvote 1

My concern is his availability and fee he’s available for is now very public. There will be others who have looked at him and now it gives them opportunity to get in there ahead of us, for the sake of what? 2 weeks worth of losses on running costs? If it’s really an extra 400k for a first choice goalkeeper, surely just pay it and secure him.

No issue with us playing hard ball with Szmodics. We hold all the cards with him having several years on his contract. If we are selling him, get every penny we can.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agreed - Its ironic how keen some are to write off £400k (FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS) of someone else’s money, whilst moaning that the pasties have gone up a quid at the ground! 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣🤣

Especially when many of us (myself included) think that the club accepted a low ball offer for Adam Wharton and could have held out for more, rather than just roll over and accept (one of) the first offers that comes in

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Regardless whether he signs before Fridays cut off JE wouldn't throw a goalkeeper in without bedding into the squad, also it would show zero faith to his soon to be number 2 in Pears. I suspect we will continue to see Pears as number 1 for a number of games until JDL has settled and shown his worth in training

• Like 2

I thought szmodics would've gone by now to be honest and I wouldn't begrudge him a chance in the premier league. I also don't see him as the type who would become unhappy or try to force through a move. He signed a new deal last November and we have shown (stupidly or not) we won't sell for less than what we value players. See Diaz. I think it has changed slightly now with the trouble the owners are going through. I still expect him to move on but that tiny percentage he stays I don't see him becoming a problem.

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If someone would have given me 30 grand for my old pasties I wouldn’t begrudge the quid

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FE123 said:

My concern is his availability and fee he’s available for is now very public. There will be others who have looked at him and now it gives them opportunity to get in there ahead of us, for the sake of what? 2 weeks worth of losses on running costs? If it’s really an extra 400k for a first choice goalkeeper, surely just pay it and secure him.

No issue with us playing hard ball with Szmodics. We hold all the cards with him having several years on his contract. If we are selling him, get every penny we can.

His agent will have contacted clubs with a prospective cost so I don't think Nicko's story changes anything. Looks like people are jumping the gun here as well; he's not Christ the redeemer. He's in the same bracket of goalkeepers as Wahlstedt, cost-wise, so be careful not to expect too much.

• Like 1

Its not about writing off other peoples money, although I suspect people would be less bothered about spending £1 extra if they had won a million on the lottery that week. Nonsense argument. (Do they even sell pasties at the ground?)

If as reported Go Ahead Eagles want £1.25m and we wont offer above £800k, if. Then we should be able to get closer to the amount they will consider to accept a bid.

Point being, on the back of a club record sale for Wharton, a considerable Raya sell on and having made a small profit this summer. If this goalkeeper is our main target, we should at least have the flexibility to increase our bid by what is a very small amount relative to the aforementioned other fees received, before Szmodics is sold. We know that will happen in the next month so we have also got that to fall back on.

We havent made any significant signings financially, we are in a profit for our business this summer, we sold Gallagher and bought Gueye for less. Ohashi was a nominal amount, we also brought in 2 freebies on short term deals, and sold Wahlstedt, Gent and Telalovic. Eustace will be focused on the game, hes not the one doing the negotiating. And why after what we have witnessed would our default position be patience and trust? 

• Like 2

No one is saying we immediately accept £500k less for SS or pay £400k more for de Lange - it's a negotiation but my goodness it always seems at a snail's pace by Rovers.  Where two parties are minded to do a deal, as they are in these two transfers, then you sit down, hammer it out and get the feckin deal closed.

With SS - clearly, the lad wants to go and almost certainly wont play for us again.  Not only is this unsettling for the lad but for the group as a whole.  He needs to be out the building.

With de Lange, all protracted negotiations do is alert other potential suitors and you risk losing the player.  Who can ever forget us losing Roy Keane to United because Rovers' offices were closed on a Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snooze and you lose - it's that simple.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5

Playing the waiting game with Szmodics is the right call, he'll go and they'll end up paying almost if not all of what we want.

Still a long way to go in the transfer window.

Without wanting to sidetrack the thread (this is the most active on the forum at present) but has Neil Yardley left the club? Not heard him on any of the interviews with the new signings, or post match bits at Stockport. Just wondering..

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Actually seems like a fair price.

Especially when we consider that a guaranteed £9M does not necessarily even mean £9M up front.  It will probably be £3M per year.  Which is mental for a Prem team to be quibbling about

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, deanives said:

Regardless whether he signs before Fridays cut off JE wouldn't throw a goalkeeper in without bedding into the squad, also it would show zero faith to his soon to be number 2 in Pears. I suspect we will continue to see Pears as number 1 for a number of games until JDL has settled and shown his worth in training

That's how I see it.

Pears will play on Friday and if he does well should keep his place there on in. 

1 hour ago, deanives said:

Shows his worth? One has played at the top level of Dutch football for 2 years. The other has only played in the second tier of English football.  The only one who needs to show his worth is pears. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Playing the waiting game with Szmodics is the right call, he'll go and they'll end up paying almost if not all of what we want.

Still a long way to go in the transfer window.

Without wanting to sidetrack the thread (this is the most active on the forum at present) but has Neil Yardley left the club? Not heard him on any of the interviews with the new signings, or post match bits at Stockport. Just wondering..

He owns (or at least his dad owned, so I assume it's passed onto him) CreaTV, the guys behind RoversTV so I doubt it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Especially when we consider that a guaranteed £9M does not necessarily even mean £9M up front.  It will probably be £3M per year.  Which is mental for a Prem team to be quibbling about

Yes.

This is the awful thing about the Raya add-ons...A Premier League club with all its riches, dragging out the payments over several years...

• Like 1

But it’s the same if we buy a player. It’s no different, we don’t pay the fee all in one go so it’s exactly the same. We could buy a £5m player with the £5m Raya sell on as we wouldn’t pay for that player all in one go. 

• Like 3