BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

I think the likely direct replacment for Szmodics is rightly or wrongly going to be Dolan. He talked in the press about being best suited as a number 10, and Eustace seems keen to bring in wide men rather than central players. He also has been playing there in pre season.

Weimann also considers himself in the same position so I suspect he will be back up for him.

Dolan doesnt have the pace or the ability to really regularly threaten out wide but he will need to be intelligent and offer much more in the way of goals and assists in that position. It feels like an experiment/effort that if it works, is going to benefit another team at the end of the season.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

This is pie in the sky stuff but if Gueye lacks the technical side and has an over abundance of the physical, then Markanday may be a complimentary player.  

As in, ‘oh Mak, I love what you’ve done with your hair, you look fabulous’

Or do you mean complementary?!

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the likely direct replacment for Szmodics is rightly or wrongly going to be Dolan. He talked in the press about being best suited as a number 10, and Eustace seems keen to bring in wide men rather than central players. He also has been playing there in pre season.

Weimann also considers himself in the same position so I suspect he will be back up for him.

Dolan doesnt have the pace or the ability to really regularly threaten out wide but he will need to be intelligent and offer much more in the way of goals and assists in that position. It feels like an experiment/effort that if it works, is going to benefit another team at the end of the season.

His low gravity gives him the ability to spin defenders in the hole and he's proved he has the eye for a pass if the forward makes a decent run. The goal and assist against Leeds a prime example 

Edited by Rover8T4

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Shows his worth? One has played at the top level of Dutch football for 2 years. The other has only played in the second tier of English football.  The only one who needs to show his worth is pears. 

I agree but pears will still be contracted to the club and as a manager / coach he wouldn't show his instant distrust to one of his players. 

So what would happen if he signs today, and he drops pears to play de lange on Friday. De lange then drops a clanger and we lose the game due to it. His confidence is shot and that would continue until he regains it. Then you also have Pears who knows you think he's not good enough to be number 1 and he won't ever be a number 1 at this club.

Or on the other hand, De lange comes in, builds relationship with the players, gets a footing within the club and becomes number 1. 

I'm also not saying that would 100% would happen but the chance is there and I'm 90% of most coaches wouldn't drop players straight into the firing line, especially goalkeepers

Also, I do believe we need to get Pears out ASAP with a better replacement but I feel that a coach wouldn't do this with a player coming into the club a few days before a game with next to no training.

Edited by deanives
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That's not really the point - obviously you back a keeper, that performs at a consistently high standard, through a couple of wobbles.  Pears has made numerous clangers and proven he isn't consistently 'good'... and is still number 1.  If we sign a better keeper, he should be straight in.  There are some arguing that the shirt should be Pear's to lose.  In which case, it won't take long - first clanger and he's out! 

It is Pears' to lose, that's how it should be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If we are planning to keep him and put him in the starting 11, probably the best place for him really. He isn't a striker, or a winger. 

Be some downgrade on Szmodics though.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Did have a despairing chuckle earlier reading an Ipswich forum, thread on Szmodics transfer dragging, and someone posting "Just Waggott and Suhail being Waggott and Suhail". Lol. Yeah, indeed. 

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I would agree with that - if Pears had demonstrated that he's a consistent, reliable keeper. He has done utterly no such thing.

That said, at this stage any keeper we bring in shouldn't be starting Friday. It's too soon, they'd have had a day of training in the best case scenario. Not long enough to build any rapport with their defence, and would have only been in the country a couple of days. They wouldn't be at their psychological best or ready to slot into the team. As someone else said, if they ballsed up in their first game under those conditions it could knock their confidence for a while.

So I'd be starting Pears on Friday now come what may. Even though I don't rate him. Then if he ballses it up (which is probably about 50% likely, the new lad comes in. If the new lad had arrived a couple of weeks ago, different story. What I certainly don't want to happen though, is Pears have that run of form he is prone to where he's not making huge high profile mistakes, but is making a consistent series of small mistakes (like bad positioning, palming it into danger areas) and gets to keep his shirt because he isn't doing a Wigan. That's happened before, like when Kaminski should have come back into the team.

That is a big concern, whoever we bring in now that its beyond the point where he can start as number 1.

My fear is that we sign a veteran and he naturally falls into being backup. If we sign someone like De Lange who clearly has the credentials to be number 1, I would still prefer him to be put in as soon as possible but it would take bravery on Eustace's behalf.

Say Pears keeps a clean sheet, he is still proven over a period of time to be sub par.

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

No he wasn't. He was still palming shots back into the danger area - Leeds just didn't capitalize.

Lol.

I don't suppose you think he was any good against Newcastle again then either?

2 hours ago, B16Rover said:

This is pie in the sky stuff but if Gueye lacks the technical side and has an over abundance of the physical, then Markanday may be a complimentary player.  Say what you want physically (in fairness I thought he did toughen up a bit) he can certainly strike a ball well. 

In that number 10 role we have Ohashi, Dolan, Wieman, Markanday, Buckley all who have played there. No shortage of numbers...

I would think Ohashi will get it and Dolan will play left side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

No one is saying we immediately accept £500k less for SS or pay £400k more for de Lange - it's a negotiation but my goodness it always seems at a snail's pace by Rovers.  Where two parties are minded to do a deal, as they are in these two transfers, then you sit down, hammer it out and get the feckin deal closed.

With SS - clearly, the lad wants to go and almost certainly wont play for us again.  Not only is this unsettling for the lad but for the group as a whole.  He needs to be out the building.

With de Lange, all protracted negotiations do is alert other potential suitors and you risk losing the player.  Who can ever forget us losing Roy Keane to United because Rovers' offices were closed on a Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snooze and you lose - it's that simple.

It's a shame that meetings with Shadow and Swag aren't scheduled weekly, it certainly gave the snail a kick up the jacksy

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Weird one, I thought Atcheson was seen as the future?

Marine are 6th tier now (promoted last season), National League North, Atcheson is still 17 years old, decent loan move for him, half a season to learn men's football 

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 8

Atcheson is only 17. Getting 15-20 games between now and January in the National League North will likely bring him on more than being in the U18s/U21s. As a defender he'll get much more of a hard time and education coming up against some shithouses there!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Just pondering...... Do you think if we'd have signed the players we have this summer(so far)... For JDT last summer (when he was begging for "experience & forwards") he'd have been happy🤔

I think he might have been,  At least in summer

Not sure it would have made a difference after the winter window though

• Like 1