BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

15 minutes ago, M_B said:

I don't particularly rate Pears, but there's also no way he's as bad as some make out, and his age means there's time to improve .

It's the usual situation, point out the mistakes but don't acknowledge any pluses. The Wednesday game was a howler at a crucial time, but Pears kept clean sheets in 3 of the last 4 against Southampton, Leeds and Leicester. 

It would be a different situation if Eustace had to choose a keeper to start the new season, but we're not in that position. For me, if Pears and the team start well, he stays in. 

I can live with Pears as backup goalie and he may still improve yes. It's absolutely unacceptable right now for him to be our number one. I've always been fair with Pears, praised him when he does well, criticised him when he does poorly. Overall, he simply isn't good enough to be our first choice keeper yet, and if he is allowed to put in even mediocre performances without being dropped, we'll be in trouble.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Ritchie to Pompey seems good business.  Can't imagine they're paying significantly.

a winger who turns 35 next month and has played about 450 minutes of football over the past 2 years?

Edited by KentExile

38 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Any professional GK that can't displace Pears should consider another occupation - or at least football several tiers down the pyramid.

Or Denmark. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Pears doesnt look familiar not only with his team mates but with what a goalkeeper is meant to do.

very unfair Comment there for me on Pears. 

Has a loan for Drommel back onto the radar or was that initially reported?

I asked Nicko last night whether we would go back in for Drommel and his reply it wouldn't surprise me and said it would be loan. 

Assuming that the £20m losses prior to player sales continue indefinitely. One thing you never factor in is that a proportion of those losses arent eligible for FFP regulations.

But one thing is for sure. We are absolutely nowhere near the FFP line, we will be even further away once Szmodics goes. I suspect there wont be a club in the league with a buffer as big as ours.

It is as simple as the owners dont have any interest in the club or reinvesting even a reasonable chunk of the considerable sales proceeds in the way of ambition. Their sole focus is clawing back as much as possible.

FFP isnt even worth mentioning in the transfer thread in the near future as it is not an issue whatsoever so that excuse is off the table.

Without going the books completely and working out what is in FFP or not. Maybe you could do so. 

I agree now, we should be nowhere near the FFP but we also have to take account that the owners might not want to keep funding at the current level as they do. 

yes we would like to see us spend the cash and buy a striker for £5m from another Championship club, etc but we aren't. We have to be clever and smarter by looking overseas for 2 strikers and hopefully a good keeper from different markets. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, islander200 said:

Rushworth wouldn't come on loan to play second fiddle 

The club won't pay a couple of million on Lange to bench him 

Maybe we are looking for 2 keepers,but it wouldn't be both those keepers 

Never suggested it would be those two, but yes you're correct on that.

More likely 1 of those two and Ruddy on loan.

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes we would like to see us spend the cash and buy a striker for £5m from another Championship club, etc but we aren't. We have to be clever and smarter by looking overseas for 2 strikers and hopefully a good keeper from different markets. 

I've not seen one person say we should be spending £5m on a single player. There's a happy medium between that and spending basically nothing on an entire frontline.

• Like 1

Either a team pays us what we want for SS, or he stays for another season.. Win win for us either way, so we just have to hold out until we get what we want .

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Another thing that irritates me about your comments is that you attempt to compare us to other clubs - in this case Hull and Boro. You are attempting to normalise what has gone on at this club over recent years by comparing it to other clubs.

It isn't normal, it isn't acceptable, and it cannot be justified with reference to a set of rules the league brought in.

For years you banged the drum that our 'plan' under Mowbray and Waggott was the right one. You parrotted their claim that we were doing things 'right' by building 'sustainably' and that in the medium to long term we would be laughing and all these other reckless clubs - Boro, Bristol, Stoke, Hull and others - would suffer the painful consequences through points deductions and embargoes.

Never happened. Infact we've sold off far more talent and value than any of that lot in recent years yet remain in a far worse state in terms of squad, expectations, finances.

where did I say Hull or Boro are reckless clubs? 

On Mowbray, he should have got promote during his time here especially during the Covid season when we had Armstrong, Elliott, etc. He has a massive squad but if it was awful season, whilst his best season came when we had smaller squad and he had less options to pick from. 

Boro have sold some very good players recently and Hull have sold their best 2 players this summer and not reinvested the money so far  

The difference between us and those clubs is that they actually have tried to get somewhere. If they are having to make some cuts due to FFP those are temporary blips in their ultimate aim to get promoted.

It is absolutely nothing like the fire sale and financial chaos we have witnessed here over the last 2-3 years. 

We have had to sell players in the last 12 months cos of the problems with the owners in India 

I am well aware of FFP but it seems you are only aware of half of it. Income and revenue is just as important as sales and cost cuts yet this receives very little focus other than a shrug of the shoulders 'it is what it is'.

Yes I am aware that income and revenue is just as important as sales and managing the future. 

Having brought in upwards of £30 million since this time last year (Kaminski £2 million, Phillips £2 million, Wharton £20 million, Raya £5 million, Gallagher £1 million - all at a considerable undervalue I might add) it is utterly unacceptable to be in the position we are right now having spent such a small sum of money on 2 players and signed a few free agents.

Yes I am aware what we have brought into the could over the last 12 months. I think Wharton deal was a fair one where it will totally over £30 million for us if you including the 18m original fee plus 4.5m add ons plus a sell on clause. We weren't going to get more than we did. His price has gone up cos of his Premier League performances  

Like with Armstrong a few years ago such income should have funded a comprehensive rebuild of the squad. Now we are cobbling together a team for the season in the hope we've got enough to survive whilst Boro and Hull are among the favourites for the top 6.  Why can they do that and we be in such a dismal situation?

The Armstrong money was needed aswell as the sale of our transfer ground to stop us falling foul of the FFP and ending up in Transfer embargo which we would have done. You say you understand FFP rules but completely and utter ignored on this occasion. 

Why are Hull favourite for the top when they have sold their best 2 players and not spend any of that money so far. Plus have a new head coach there. 

It teaches us that FFP is irrelevant here, I think it always has been, we have evidence before our very eyes that even when we bring in a vast sum of money very quickly there is no intention on the part of the hideous people in India to put that back in. It has been a sham from the word 'go'. 

Like with FFP, like with rogue secretaries and inept staff, like with all sorts of other lies about the situation fundamentally they will always find an excuse to not reinvest and you stand ready to accept these excuses and repeat them as fact each and every year.

FFP is real and relevant. 

You know the full situation regarding the paperwork mess up with McGuire transfer. Do we really need to go over this time after time? its been done to death now. Time to move on. We signed 6 players last week in 2 days  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

very unfair Comment there for me on Pears. 

I asked Nicko last night whether we would go back in for Drommel and his reply it wouldn't surprise me and said it would be loan. 

Without going the books completely and working out what is in FFP or not. Maybe you could do so. 

I agree now, we should be nowhere near the FFP but we also have to take account that the owners might not want to keep funding at the current level as they do. 

Hes crap chaddy.

It wouldnt surprise him because presumably he can forsee that even a meagre £1.25m fee for De Lange will prove beyond us. So seemingly that deal is becoming less likely.

By "not funding us at the current level" you mean they have absolutely no interest in the wellbeing of the football club and are solely focused on getting in as much money as possible. That is the sole issue. FFP is an irrelevance to the current situation because we are so far away from being in danger of breaching those rules. We are about to get close to £40m of fees brought in during the last 12 months and we are seemingly looking elsewhere rather than stretching to £1.25m for a goalkeeper. Its little wonder that we are expected to be right in the thick of a relegation battle because teams cant thrive under such aggressive asset stripping.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes crap chaddy.

It wouldnt surprise him because presumably he can forsee that even a meagre £1.25m fee for De Lange will prove beyond us. So seemingly that deal is becoming less likely.

By "not funding us at the current level" you mean they have absolutely no interest in the wellbeing of the football club and are solely focused on getting in as much money as possible. That is the sole issue. FFP is an irrelevance to the current situation because we are so far away from being in danger of breaching those rules. We are about to get close to £40m of fees brought in during the last 12 months and we are seemingly looking elsewhere rather than stretching to £1.25m for a goalkeeper. Its little wonder that we are expected to be right in the thick of a relegation battle because teams cant thrive under such aggressive asset stripping.

Where are we seemingly looking elsewhere? I agree with all other points but the GK one/transfer a lot of fans are jumping on because of a link today with a loan move that was touted weeks ago?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lraC said:

The club were haggling over £500 for the quotation to power wash and spruce up the Blackburn end. It very nearly went to a Manchester firm, instead of a more local one, whose company had bought a corporate season ticket.

In the end the local form got it, but only after they had cancelled their application for the corporate and were begged to reinstate it, on the understanding that they would be given the job. 

Shameful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You know the full situation regarding the paperwork mess up with McGuire transfer. Do we really need to go over this time after time? its been done to death now. Time to move on. We signed 6 players last week in 2 days  

What absolute nonsense! They may have all finally put pen to paper within a few days but it took over a month into the transfer window to get to that point!! 

The "negotiations" between Mcfadz and batth alone took half of  the summer 😅

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, briansol said:

Spot on! Especially true for defenders. The standard of the top two tiers of Non-league has improved greatly. For most parts National Conference is on par with League Two and most teams are full-time professionals.

U21 is too much of a playground with a lot of quick technical players having a field day against stand-off defending that are better ball players then defenders. That's why a lot those matches are 4-3 etc, and why when stars at that level get a reality check when they go out on loan. A football league defender earning a wage to provide for a family will smash you before you attempt the first step-over.

If toughening up was the only order of the day, Premier League clubs would be sending their star youth players to National League North etc.

They don’t because it’s generally understood that they want their players developing in a team whose style and standard is as similar to their own as possible. 

Carter and Lenihan cut their teeth in League One/Two. Scott Wharton in League Two, I believe, on numerous very successful loan deals.

For whatever reason, these days our players can’t get experience at that level, though a SPL has been an occasional option. Usually, it’s been 6th tier - and the non-league experience has rarely been a springboard, least of all the strange 1 mth deals. Certain players have come back injured very quickly.

That said, Jalil Saadi, has earned a new deal on the back of a loan spell at Marine, so who knows. At least half a season gives the players a chance to acclimatise.

It’d be interesting to know why it seems that much harder to snag League One/Two loan spells these days. Even National League. Ethan Walker did go out on loan to Morecambe, so does happen. Perhaps, finances or a glut of players at that level are factors - and maybe the U21s revamp that replaced reserve football. 

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Either a team pays us what we want for SS, or he stays for another season.. Win win for us either way, so we just have to hold out until we get what we want .

I suspect we're not getting a new GK if nobody buys Szmodics. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Being pedantic but to me thats 4 signings. One is just a contract extension and one isnt a first team player.

and the other issue is the squad isn't getting any bigger. Gallagher, Telalovic, Fleck, Wahlstedt, Ayari and Moran all out. That will be a major problem AGAIN over the course of the season. It was already too thin with them. We were overwhelmed by most teams benches ALL season!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Brian Clough did not sign Peter Shilton and then say to Shilts 'bide your time young man, the jersey is John Middleton's to lose'.

Likewise neither did Kenny with Flowers who was signed to replace Mimms.

Bring de Lange him and drop Pears immediately.  If he doesn't like it, show him the exit door.  No room for sentiment.  No decision to make.  Simple as.

Or Mimms with Gennoe!

• Like 1