BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

4 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

and the other issue is the squad isn't getting any bigger. Gallagher, Telalovic, Fleck, Wahlstedt, Ayari and Moran all out. That will be a major problem AGAIN over the course of the season. It was already too thin with them. We were overwhelmed by most teams benches ALL season!

If you take Fleck out, we can at least take Trav in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

and the other issue is the squad isn't getting any bigger. Gallagher, Telalovic, Fleck, Wahlstedt, Ayari and Moran all out. That will be a major problem AGAIN over the course of the season. It was already too thin with them. We were overwhelmed by most teams benches ALL season!

I don’t think the classification of is it a signing or a contract extension is important and neither would I place much precedence on comparing it with the size of last years squad, either.

JE didn’t use Telalovic, Fleck, Wahlstedt, Moran or Koumetia. He barely used Ayari. None of those players will be of any great loss.

What we needed to do was cover any glaring holes (GK and St) and the loss of players who DID feature like. Wharton, McFadz, SS (likely) and now Gally. But for the keeper, that’s what they’ve done…

Then once those primary positions are covered you push on with squad fillers, nice to haves and pl loans.

I still think we’ll do another 4 or 5 incoming this summer.

People are comparing last seasons squad including loans against our current squad before the loan market kicks off? Sort of skewing the data to match your anger there. 

I'm not overjoyed with the current way the club is being run, but if you're really going to argue that we are no better off at this stage of the transfer window than last year, you're just being obstinate.

• Like 6

The thing is, people always compare to how many players we have this season to how many we have in the previous season.

We didnt have anywhere near enough last season, that was one of our main problems. In the last few years, we have had massive issues with how many competent players we have had.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricceh said:

People are comparing last seasons squad including loans against our current squad before the loan market kicks off? Sort of skewing the data to match your anger there. 

I'm not overjoyed with the current way the club is being run, but if you're really going to argue that we are no better off at this stage of the transfer window than last year, you're just being obstinate.

This 100%. No matter what goes on there are going to be certain accounts on here that will argue a point to suit their narrative. There are accounts that are overly positive about everything not seeing the clear signs of trouble behind the scenes and other accounts that no matter if ya signed messi it wouldn’t be good enough. Very rarely any balance 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not at all, 

FFP is still around and the owners problem over the last 12 months, we had to sell Wharton to cover that season loses. Not great and not any of us wanted but we were always going to have £20m from sales to over the £60m debt over 3 seasons. Owners can only put in roughly £40m over those 3 seasons. Plus you have also take into account that the owners might not to cover all the loses all the time and the club has to cover some by selling a player or 2. 

FFP isn't an excuse its a fact which you completely don't understand or wanted to ignore it. Other clubs have had to sell players like Hull to cover themselves FFP wise or Boro aswell over the summer or the last 12 months. I ain't a fan of FFP but that's the rules so you by themselves. Your 

This was not what you were saying in Jan. In Jan, you were going on about how we were keeping the Wharton money for the summer transfer window and how it's better to keep our powder dry than overspend. Nothing about FFP then.

Edited by RoversSG
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ricceh said:

We hadnt got our loans in at this point last season either. So if you are doing a like for like comparison, which as I said is flawed as last season we didnt have anywhere near enough so that cant be the benchmark.

Weve lost Wharton, are losing Szmodics, (wont be available to play) we dont have Scott Wharton, we dont have Gallagher, but do have Gueye, Ohashi, Weimann, McFadzean and Batth. So im not sure we are better off anyway, discounting loans.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ricceh said:

Agree. And to be honest the fair comparison would be xMin (minutes played) vs Expected mins (squad status) 

As I say see it we haven’t replaced Wahlstedt (however I think new cones have been bought) Neither of the other had any impact what so ever. 

We have replaced Gally, Garrett on loan is a strange one, but probably replacement in the loan market, such as Morton, Ayari ++. 

Other on that list isn’t really worth replacing. Rather give the youngsters some valuable playing time to further development. 

12 minutes ago, RoversSG said:

This was not what you were saying in Jan. In Jan, you were going on about how we were keeping the Wharton money for the summer transfer window.

Even after the season ended he was still spouting on about us spending £7m this summer. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

We hadnt got our loans in at this point last season either. So if you are doing a like for like comparison, which as I said is flawed as last season we didnt have anywhere near enough so that cant be the benchmark.

Weve lost Wharton, are losing Szmodics, (wont be available to play) we dont have Scott Wharton, we dont have Gallagher, but do have Gueye, Ohashi, Weimann, McFadzean and Batth. So im not sure we are better off anyway, discounting loans.

The only reason we are not better off would be because we just sold a superstar and those things are expected (Wharton) 

we need to rebuild, bring new talents, develop. 

I like the route we are going with the foreign market with lots of upsides and the astute signings with solid championship experience (cheapish). 

Both of these really important to keep the wages down on a consistent level. 

6 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Except we can basically remove Telalovic from that list as he was never used in the second half of the season - even when needed.

I do actually believe that we will end up with a slightly bigger squad once all of the dealings are wrapped up as we are almost certainly looking at one or two more permanent signings and we will definitely see a couple of loan signings. 

Cardiff seem to have bought very well. Willock and El Ghazi for the wide areas and Chambers at the back seem like good signings. The striker on loan they have bought in could also be a good shout. Would expect them to improve on last season. Also being linked to Cantwell who could possibly do well in this league but he’s more of a gamble.

1 hour ago, Ricceh said:

It's a fair point, but loans are meant to push your squad over the top (see Diallo at Sunderland a couple of years ago) rather than be squad fillers. We have an excellent Academy for that.

As the squad stands we're not an excellent loan or two away from having a good Championship team, which I think is the main complaint.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Except we can basically remove Telalovic from that list as he was never used in the second half of the season - even when needed.

I do actually believe that we will end up with a slightly bigger squad once all of the dealings are wrapped up as we are almost certainly looking at one or two more permanent signings and we will definitely see a couple of loan signings. 

He never showed up when called upon.

4 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Cardiff seem to have bought very well. Willock and El Ghazi for the wide areas and Chambers at the back seem like good signings. The striker on loan they have bought in could also be a good shout. Would expect them to improve on last season. Also being linked to Cantwell who could possibly do well in this league but he’s more of a gamble.

Can see Cardiff being this years Hull, spend a load on wages & loans, threaten to get in the playoffs, ultimately fail, and end up with next to no squad next summer because almost all of them were loans and 1 year contracts on high wages that they cant afford to keep 

Edited by KentExile

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's a fair point, but loans are meant to push your squad over the top (see Diallo at Sunderland a couple of years ago) rather than be squad fillers. We have an excellent Academy for that.

As the squad stands we're not an excellent loan or two away from having a good Championship team, which I think is the main complaint.

Exactly. The young players bought in on loan must be better than what we have in our academy. For me that’s why the loans of the likes of Elliot have been key.

Loaning a squad filler to sit on the bench and have little influence on the game is pointless. I’d rather take one Elliot or JPVH than several squad fillers.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Agree. And to be honest the fair comparison would be xMin (minutes played) vs Expected mins (squad status) 

As I say see it we haven’t replaced Wahlstedt (however I think new cones have been bought) Neither of the other had any impact what so ever. 

We have replaced Gally, Garrett on loan is a strange one, but probably replacement in the loan market, such as Morton, Ayari ++. 

Other on that list isn’t really worth replacing. Rather give the youngsters some valuable playing time to further development. 

Garrett desperately needs minutes and he's not getting them here.

If Leonard wasn't injured I'd be loaning him out. Gilsenan too.

8 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Depends what Chris Willock turns up. If they can get the best out of him then it’s a good signing, but it’s not a given they will. Been poor for well over 12 months. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Most clubs would at least spend a chunk of such big sales though. We do need to rebuild, thats the point, its very difficult to do that under these limitations.

I have seen way to many clubs struggling because they splash out cash on signings and inflating wages. 

I like that we are taking a conservative approach, buying cheapish with potential sale-on instead. 

12 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Problem with Pears having the shirt to lose, given what he’s been like before, he’ll drop a clanger before long, it’s just a matter of time.

So, knowing that as we do, why not look for a better ‘keeper who’s less likely to make so many mistakes?

Standards are already that low down at Ewood, they shouldn’t be amongst the fan base too. Very sad indeed.

Bit melodramatic 

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I have no idea which players we are being linked with as possible loan targets, so I can't really comment on them being filler. I hope they aren't all filler, and I hope we can get two decent wingers out of it. 

Is it 4 loan spots available? 

5 minutes ago, Ricceh said:

I have no idea which players we are being linked with as possible loan targets, so I can't really comment on them being filler. I hope they aren't all filler, and I hope we can get two decent wingers out of it. 

Is it 4 loan spots available? 

Can have as many as you want, but only 5 in the matchday squad.

• Like 5