BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

I actually think we aren’t far off a decent championship squad. A couple of unknown quantities but also a couple of older heads that are tried and tested at this level.

We desperately need a first choice goalkeeper, and some width and cover for JRC/Hedges.

We need 4 players, GK, left back, 2 wide players.

Team for tomorrow night

Pears

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

Trondstad Travis

JRC Dolan Hedges

Gueye.

Subs; Hilton, Batth, Siggy, Ohashi, Tyjon, Buckley, Duru, Weimann

Not far off IMO. I don’t buy all this “We lost 6 so we need minimum 6 to compete”. Moran non contributor second half of the season, Koumetio non contributor, Ayari looked promising but didn’t really play, Gally a trier who couldn’t trap a bag of cement (worst pass completion of any player in Europe) despite running around and heading defensive corners away for 20 out of 46 games offers very little and hasn’t for years.

We need a couple of exciting players who offer us something different going forward. Bring on tomorrow night.

Imagine if we could go and spend 50% of the Wharton/ Raya money 😳

• Backroom

Imagine Eustace will be thrilled with Waggott mandating a top half finish, whilst he still considers himself minimum five players short of having a decent squad. Although I'd guess the 'top half finish' comment is just fan appeasement after the backlash last year when he claimed there was no pressure on results and we were just a development club. Still, puts some unnecessary pressure on Eustace where JDT had none. If he genuinely didn't do any due diligence before taking the job he's getting a crash course on what it entails now. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Imagine Eustace will be thrilled with Waggott mandating a top half finish, whilst he still considers himself minimum five players short of having a decent squad. Although I'd guess the 'top half finish' comment is just fan appeasement after the backlash last year when he claimed there was no pressure on results and we were just a development club. Still, puts some unnecessary pressure on Eustace where JDT had none. If he genuinely didn't do any due diligence before taking the job he's getting a crash course on what it entails now. 

100%

2 minutes ago, FE123 said:

I actually think we aren’t far off a decent championship squad. A couple of unknown quantities but also a couple of older heads that are tried and tested at this level.

We desperately need a first choice goalkeeper, and some width and cover for JRC/Hedges.

Team for tomorrow night

Pears

Trondstad Travis

JRC Dolan Hedges

Gueye.

Not far off IMO. I don’t buy all this “We lost 6 so we need minimum 6 to compete”. Moran non contributor second half of the season, Koumetio non contributor, Ayari looked promising but didn’t really play, Gally a trier who couldn’t trap a bag of cement (worst pass completion of any player in Europe) despite running around and heading defensive corners away for 20 out of 46 games offers very little and hasn’t for years.

We need a couple of exciting players who offer us something different going forward. Bring on tomorrow night.

Four first team players would make it a real shake-up this summer. Anything is possible but we lack pace and power, and most of all squad depth as things stand. And we're about to lose our only proven scorer at this level.

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Four first team players would make it a real shake-up this summer. Anything is possible but we lack pace and power, and most of all squad depth as things stand. And we're about to lose our only proven scorer at this level.

I agree, but are there any other proven championship goal scorers in this league? I can think of a few who are likely to score 10-15 (Latte-Lath, Rutter, Sargent, Conway) but there aren’t any stand outs. Must be 18-20 clubs without a proven goal getter who are hoping someone steps up.

13 minutes ago, FE123 said:

Team for tomorrow night

Pears

Trondstad Travis

JRC Dolan Hedges

Gueye.

The we need to replace x and y from last year is a flawed argument, it would only work if the squad was sufficient last year and it clearly wasnt.

So yes, you might not think that we need to replace those players directly. But we need more than 4 to fill the various holes in our squad.

One senior (poor) keeper, one senior right back, one senior left back, only 3 senior centre mids and we need a couple of wingers. So 6, minimum. Not a case of replacing sub par players on a like for like basis, although Moran for example did play a lot of games. But a case of looking how thin we are across the team really.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but with the phrase "2 or 3" I would like to think is just a figure of speech.

That being said, I have no faith in us getting what we need.

A big problem is lack of depth, I think we need at least 6 and I dont think we will get that many.

Also obviously we have a big lack of quality in a number of areas. I dont have faith that it will be fixed working with such a small budget. You cant sell such important players and spend so little and expect to have enough quality.

Another big problem is that we dont have a layer of longer term players. A number of our skeletal squad who will likely play lots between them are only contracted for a season. We need to buy at least a few more players contracted beyond next year. Players who could potentially appreciate in value. That seems like a luxury considering the budget cuts that I dont have faith in us solving. 

• Like 1

Waggot said 2 or 3 more in and we know  at least two of them will be loans 

If this meeting happens like in the past where supporters/supporters groups can question him I hope he is pressed on why we will have spent little more than the Gallagher, Whalstedt and Telalovic fees

Nixon was asked have we done anymore on Dembele. He replied along the lines of think they are leaving Dembele just now.

A few will come in but they won't be the players the manager has requested,with the exception of maybe Ruddy 

More than half the signings made for the first team are out of contract in 12 months.

These interviews are totally pointless never pulled up on anything and now we have a portion of the fanbase thinking everything is rosy 

JE has sad he wants a GK, LB, CM and two who can play across the front line. Maybe the other Japanese lad and Demeble are the two he wants. For those roles. 

Both would be interesting signings and be about £2m between them. We need pace out wide.

Get a CM and CB/LB on loan, but we need a new first choice keeper. 

Will it happen? Just have to wait and see. 

42 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Consensus odds/predictions I see have Rovers (usually bottom) competing with the 3 promoted clubs (Portsmouth, Oxford, Derby), Plymouth and Preston as the weakest 6 teams.

Gotta hope we're better (luckier?) than 3 of them.

I don't think we will be in bottom 6 at all. We have too much quality to be own there. I think we will finish mid table around 13th. 

I think Derby, Portsmouth, Oxford, Preston, Swansea and Watford will be down there in the bottom 6. 

37 minutes ago, FE123 said:

I agree, We need 4/5 players depending on whether Szmodics leaves and Sigurdsson goes which I think he just might. 

We need a keeper, left back, centre midfielder and 1 or 2 wide players with pace and power. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think we will be in bottom 6 at all. We have too much quality to be own there. I think we will finish mid table around 13th. 

I think Derby, Portsmouth, Oxford, Preston, Swansea and Watford will be down there in the bottom 6. 

I agree, We need 4/5 players depending on whether Szmodics leaves and Sigurdsson goes which I think he just might. 

We need a keeper, left back, centre midfielder and 1 or 2 wide players with pace and power. 

Too much quality? Really 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I might be wrong but with the phrase "2 or 3" I would like to think is just a figure of speech.

That being said, I have no faith in us getting what we need.

A big problem is lack of depth, I think we need at least 6 and I dont think we will get that many.

Also obviously we have a big lack of quality in a number of areas. I dont have faith that it will be fixed working with such a small budget. You cant sell such important players and spend so little and expect to have enough quality.

Another big problem is that we dont have a layer of longer term players. A number of our skeletal squad who will likely play lots between them are only contracted for a season. We need to buy at least a few more players contracted beyond next year. Players who could potentially appreciate in value. That seems like a luxury considering the budget cuts that I dont have faith in us solving. 

what is the 6 more signings based on? Szmodics and Sigurdsson leaving? how many of these 6 players would be permanent signings and loan signings? 

Where are these big lack of quality in a number of areas, what areas are these? 

No you have no faith in us. 

1 minute ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

Too much quality? Really 

Yes that my opinion. 

I don't think we will be in the bottom 6. We got plenty of experience in our squad and good players to be down there. 

I have named my bottom 6. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

what is the 6 more signings based on? Szmodics and Sigurdsson leaving? how many of these 6 players would be permanent signings and loan signings? 

Just about every area

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes that my opinion. 

I don't think we will be in the bottom 6. We got plenty of experience in our squad and good players to be down there. 

I have named my bottom 6. 

Possibly we need more in the next few weeks of the window to convince me

the jury is also out on Eustace for me too

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Based on what I think we need as a minimum. The squad is still very, very short. We will see tomorrow night a stretched squad despite no injures. Couple of wingers, full back on

Most should be permanent signings. The money should be there. And such a big percentage of a small squad is only contracted short term. At least 3 or 4 buys.

And no, I dont have any faith whatsoever in what we need happening. Why would I with Venkys as owners and Waggott and Suhail running the show beneath with a lovely mixture of incompetence and no money. 

I suspect if you do then youve been under a rock for 14 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I can't stomach the man so I haven't watched the interview.

Did he really say a top half finish? He's away with the fairies unless he knows of 5 quality signings lined up.

Yep, he said hopefully we can be up in the top half and hanging around the play off places as you never know what could happen in that situation. Also said that the League isn't as strong at the top end this season as compared to last. Oh and he touched on four areas that we needed to improve the squad on: leadership, resilience, pace and power. The older defenders and Weimann represent the first. Travis coming back adds to our resilience. Those are swag's words. Doesn't sound like Travis is being sold. However, a £1m bid or anything they deem decent for Travis will probably knock that 'resilience' on the head pretty quick. Mak brings pace and power but they want to bring in more on that front. Two or three more to come in according to swag, whilst Eustace apparently wants five more of first team quality. You and the rest of us too, John. It will probably be two or three loans, I'm guessing.

• Like 1