BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Ipswich will pay the money and Sammie will go before the window shuts. Pretty confident in predicting that. 

I'm also confident that our new recruitment team can bring in a few more decent players before the close of the window. I think we've quietly had a good window so far. Way better than last summer.

Still, we can't also forget the reality is we have raked in a substantial amount of money from transfer fees and only a tiny fraction has been re-invested. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I thought Leonards off the ball movement was really poor. However he's a fairly good finisher.  A league one striker if there ever was one along with Vale..  

His movement got him into  a good few positions when he had minutes it was his finishing that let Him down 

• Like 5

Some of the best strikers/fwds we've had in recent times cut their teeth in league 1.

Armstrong, Dack, Szmodics..... Leonard needs to follow suit a good sting in there will do him better than being a bit part at Ewood scoring about 3.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Mvogo would be a cracking signing for us, signed him for us once on FM and he was immense. All you need to know.

Another Japanese lad, yes please.

Years ago when I was young enough to have the time for such frivolities, Rovers on my FM save signed a young Andi Weimann who ended up becoming our all time record scorer. Suffice to say his clever poacher's finish on Friday came as no surprise to me whatsoever.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I thought Leonards off the ball movement was really poor. However he's a fairly good finisher.  A league one striker if there ever was one along with Vale..  

Isn't football funny?

I thought the complete opposite when I watched Leonard - the movement and ability to read the game was there (as was the first touch), but he wasn't a clinical finisher. I also don't think he's big / strong / fast enough to lead the line in a front 3. 

You're also being generous to Vale, he's a L2 striker at best. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Isn't football funny?

I thought the complete opposite when I watched Leonard - the movement and ability to read the game was there (as was the first touch), but he wasn't a clinical finisher. I also don't think he's big / strong / fast enough to lead the line in a front 3. 

You're also being generous to Vale, he's a L2 striker at best. 

Certainly not the quickest but seems to get in some decent positions. 

6 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

while I can totally see they would be a nightmare to deal with that's up to them the valuation they have for a player who is contracted to blackburn is completely up to them and should not budge his 30 goals last season kept us up and we would need to replace those goals it's not incumbent upon our board to see that Ipswich get the deal on their terms. 

If only they'd have held one of the best players we've ever produced in such a regard.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

So do you think that he has forgotten how to pass due to Mowbray?  

He has never been a good passer.

Don't be ridiculous.

Certainly not a passer of the ball in the Tugay or Wharton mould but certainly not as bad as what you are intimating.

The tip, tappety sh1te Mowbray wanted in our half of the field certainly didn't suit Travis.  However, as I said, when he first broke through, he could certainly pick a pass offensively as he demonstrated last night with that ball to Brittain which led to our 1st goal.

IMO, Mowbray shackled Travis and forced him into a role he wasn't suited to.  Yet another player who regressed under Mowbray.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Certainly not a passer of the ball in the Tugay or Wharton mould but certainly not as bad as what you are intimating.

The tip, tappety sh1te Mowbray wanted in our half of the field certainly didn't suit Travis.  However, as I said, when he first broke through, he could certainly pick a pass offensively as he demonstrated last night with that ball to Brittain which led to our 1st goal.

IMO, Mowbray shackled Travis and forced him into a role he wasn't suited to.  Yet another player who regressed under Mowbray.

He is an ok passer at best and that has never changed. The season he had in Mowbray's final season where he was beside Rothwell in front of a back 3 was arguably his best to date.

Brereton, Lenihan, Armstrong and Rothwell are amongst those who certainly didnt regress under Mowbray. I dont think Travis did either, if he regressed under anyone then it was Tomasson because he didnt suit that style of play and it led to a season in which he barely played.

Mowbray played passing football for one season which didnt work and was a wasted season and then went to a counter attacking style often with less of the ball when Travis and the team massively improved. Hopefully he will also suit Eustace's football as he should do considering we are quite direct and also he has Tronstad as the perfect foil.

You said "his real ability was stifled" but he has never really changed. He is not a player you want in a team that dominates the ball.

3 hours ago, B16Rover said:

He's got the instinct, just not quite the nous or the physicality 

If league one can give him either of those he will do us well in this league

Gives me Matt Derbyshire vibes

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Completely disagree. I think Leonards off the ball movement is very good especially in and around the box. I think he's an average finisher at present and needs to mature physically, which won't happen if he keeps getting injured.

Personally I rate him and think hes got a chance but he needs to stay fit for that to happen.  League 1 loan till Xmas might be for the best though.

• Like 4

If this loan to Peterborough for Leonard is true, I think this will be a good move for him.

Also, Peterborough know their strikers. They had some good ones over the last few years.

This move will only benefits us in the long run. Hopefully it means another forward signing is close.

We still need two wingers and a goalkeeper. Come on, get them sorted.

Edited by Moptop1
  • Like 4

Travis looked to play forward much more on Friday than I have seen him previously. Dropped into the pocket a few times to receive ahead of the ball. He’s always dropped behind the ball or behind the first line of press. Thought he played on the turn much better and threaded a few decent passes between the lines. He’s never going to be a Wharton but he was far more progressive than we’ve previously seen IMO

• Like 2

Rovers still want to sign striker Ryo but need Sigurdsson to go to created a ESC spot. Qpr and PAOK want him.

Buckley can leave and we want permanent deal

Szmodics deal is being held up by 500k. Rovers was £9m guaranteed, Ipswich only want to pay £8.5m

Nicko news this morning. 

I've asked him where we up with keeper signing situation 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Meanwhile Mvogo is available for a fair price, it is claimed. This is due to having a mere year remaining on his existing contract with the Stade du Moustoir side.

apparently Leicester interested, but struggling with selling Iversen who is supposed to be valued at 1.5m which both Derby and Sheffield U find too high.