BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

7 hours ago, Iceman said:

This point about him being 28/29, and being his last chance at PL football is silly. If he stays, has another cracking season, he will get his move. His valuation with a year left might even be lower than now. 

If we had to sell players based on a fee, at how old they are, then Adam Wharton should never have been sold for that low a fee. AW still had plenty of time to play PL football, if this is the logic we use to determine a fee 

The argument is that Szmodics’ value is now at its highest. We can debate what the ‘true’ value is, but assuming we aren’t getting promoted this season (which I think is a safe assumption), his stock isn’t rising any higher given his age.

Not selling players at their peak value has been a big problem in recent years. I don’t remember many people wanting us to sell BBD for the c.£7/8m we were offered in the last year of his contract and yet that is now rightly used as a point of criticism given he left for nothing.

So now would be a good time to sell. Does it mean we should accept any offer that comes along? Obviously not and no one is saying that we should, but given Ipswich appear to be close to a figure we would accept it feels sensible for all parties to reach an agreement. 

The alternative to hold out and refuse to sell (which is our prerogative) but accept we’ll get a lower fee in the future. 

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg

Can see this really dragging onto the end of window , if Ipswich Leicester Bournemouth Everton etc lose their opening games without looking like scoring they will be back in for him 

Edited by AJW

7 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

It's bizarre more teams aren't in for him. Bournemouth could do with him too.

He's a Premier League finisher, better than Diaz and Armstrong imo and his work rate is something else!

He also has a Premier League engine and whilst not the quickest, can still out run Premier League quality defenders in a  straight foot race.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AJW said:

Can see this really dragging onto the end of window , if Ipswich Leicester Bournemouth Everton etc lose their opening games without looking like scoring they will be back in for him 

This is the boat I'm in too. Future value of Sammie means nothing to Premier League teams if for one season his goals add to the groups ability to stay in the league. Teams won't know how much they need those goals until the competitive games start. 

I honestly think he will score goals in the Premier League. 5-8 is a good Premier League return and I think he would be good for that. 

8 hours ago, Iceman said:

This point about him being 28/29, and being his last chance at PL football is silly. If he stays, has another cracking season, he will get his move. His valuation with a year left might even be lower than now. 

It really isn't. A number of things would have to happen in order for there to be another similar opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we owe him anything, both parties have benefitted from his time here. 

19 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think it's more of a case of:

Do we have ambition of promotion, if no sell him now whilst his stock is high. If yes keep and fund us with 5-6 quality players and push for promotion.

I think we all know the answer to that one. Unless you’ve been in a coma for the last 14 years.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think it's more of a case of:

Do we have ambition of promotion, if no sell him now whilst his stock is high. If yes keep and fund us with 5-6 quality players and push for promotion.

Whilst I like the idea, that’s not really feasible from a £9million sale. We’d be lucky to get a fifth of that up front, and once Peterborough get their share, and Szmodics gets his loyalty bonus, you’d do well to get 2 signings out of it. 

Selling a generational talent for £18million however….

get a better keeper in, fullback cover, and potentially 1 or 2 pacey wingers, and keep szmods, then you cant not agrue a case for a playoff push. 

Seasons top scorer, a more stern defence, and a better bench. Anything is then possible. But 1000000% see szmods going the final few days of the window leaving us no time to spend any money, which is what venkys probably want to happen, gives them an excuse. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Why do Peterborough even have a sell one? And do we know how much it is?

Yes they have "a decent sell on fee" according to Peterborough's Chairman. 

Would guess it will be 15-20% of any profit made, just on thee basis of that is what nearly all sell on fees are.  But whatever the amount is, Darragh MacAnthony will be shouting it in pounds and pence from the rooftops shortly after it happens, as it is what he does, as evidenced by the linked article

If you are asking why Peterborough have a sell on, it is because it is standard practice to include them, even Rovers do it, as inept as they are (see the Raya add ons)

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CambridgeRover said:

I think the £1.8 million we paid was more than fair value, we got taken to the cleaners with the addons and sell on

That's our fault for agreeing to it if you feel like that, not Peterborough's.

If they wanted to add a sell on cause into the deal, they are perfectly entitled to do so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I think the £1.8 million we paid was more than fair value, we got taken to the cleaners with the addons and sell on

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If they wanted to add a sell on cause into the deal, they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Standard practice across the board, 

It generally tends to be a % on any profits made from the sale rather than a % of the total fee

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Well bloody obliviously they were.  I am amazed we accepted one

7 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Well bloody obliviously they were.  I am amazed we accepted one

Be very rare for a transfer to go through for anyone say under the age of 28 without a sell on clause included, it's standard transfer practice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, philipl said:

He also has a Premier League engine and whilst not the quickest, can still out run Premier League quality defenders in a  straight foot race.

I dont know.... I can see why Premier League teams will look at him and wonder if he will really cut in at the top level. Not particularly quick, strong or skillful...

That there are not many teams in for him tells it's own story.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I dont know.... I can see why Premier League teams will look at him and wonder if he will really cut in at the top level. Not particularly quick, strong or skillful...

But he is a pressing machine and is a great composed finisher.  The ideal player to have if you are a lower end Prem team who wont have much of the ball or many chances so need to make the most of the few that they do have

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

If you pay £9m for someone and he scores 7 or 8 goala in the Prem from attacking midfield you’ve got yourself an absolute bargain. How many AM’s scored 8 goals in the Prem last season? 

SS is quick enough, his movement is excellent and he can finish.

It’s bizarre nobody else is in for him.

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

That’s how I see it. He’s great at this level but the step up for strikers is vast. 

• Like 1