BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, on first sight he gets himself into a lot of good positions, which is key, but also misses a load.

As long as he keeps giving himself chances I see no reason why he shouldn't be aiming for 15 this season. Anything more than that would be a bonus but he should comfortably make double figures based on what we've seen so far.

It's also so refreshing to see a striker actually be a striker too.

I do not miss Gallagher in the slightest 

• Like 7

If Mak had elite level finishing to add to his strikers instinct, speed, strength, height, technical ability to link the play up and desire to score a goal - he would be Didier Drogba!

He’ll definitely miss a few, but the main thing is that he’s always ‘there’ to miss them.

That said, the keepers save down low save his shot last night was class. He also set up Yuki with a header at the back post and the keeper saved again. Could’ve easily been two goals and an assist.

IF / When SS goes, I’d love to see us sign an extra winger and a striker (on top of the reported x4 that JE wants), and play Ohashi behind Big Mak. I have a feeling it would be a brilliant combo!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Big Maks obvious weakness on seeing him a couple of times is his shooting

I agree I am not convinced on him at all, yet. Of the two, I believe Ohashi is miles above in every area of his game. I think Ohashi will go down as one of our best signings, since leaving the premier league - He will be a real asset this season!

16 minutes ago, ChickenBolty said:

I agree I am not convinced on him at all, yet. Of the two, I believe Ohashi is miles above in every area of his game. I think Ohashi will go down as one of our best signings, since leaving the premier league - He will be a real asset this season!

Much like the concerns on Gueye's finishing I thought Ohashi had concerns on injury record.  If so we will need depth to rotate him.  

• Like 1

Just now, B16Rover said:

Much like the concerns on Gueye's finishing I thought Ohashi had concerns on injury record.  If so we will need depth to rotate him.  

100%, don’t think we can risk playing Ohashi a full game, probably at all…Gueye gets injured and we’re left with Vale. Leonard won’t be up to match fitness probably till Xmas.

21 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Personally I'd say he's...alright. Has talent and is one of those players that go on to succeed in another Championship side tbh, kinda like Morton did at Hull after being mostly wank here. But Moran in no way set the world alight here. Looked good in flashes, looked a bit shite for longer though. You'd need his game to kick on from where he's been at for it to be a good loan, but he showed enough for me to say that's possible.

19 hours ago, PotterLog said:

Very young though. He might build into it if he's talented

There's been quite a few players who we get too young and don't look like they will particularly make it, but couple of years later are established as Championship level or higher. Look at Jared Branthwaite here. Looked fairly poor. Harwood-Bellis looked a far better prospect. Now he's in England squads and linked with big money moves.

At a lower level, Matt Grimes is another. A pointless kid midfielder loan who showed nothing at Ewood. A few years later and a mainstay for Swansea and now captain of their side.

Morton and Moran will probably go on to have decent careers in the top two flights. Problem is neither were ready for what we needed them for. The Harvey Elliot loans are few and far between.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but as we're obviously after a new keeper, here seems as good a place as any.

Just read an interview on the Sky website with David Raya, he doesn't really say much about his time with us, but I thought this was quite telling:

image.png.f3f7b0b3a625e3a46ec4526b178d2995.png

Why? Why Dave? Why weren't you coming for crosses? Is this our famed goalkeeping coach at work? Wouldn't surprise me, nearly all of our keepers of late are/were shit at coming for crosses!

Brentford are very much stats-driven in everything and analyse every player they recruit thoroughly. Mentality and physical attributes are more or less static and the skillset can be worked on and improved. Very much the same way Broughton was thinking, but I don't know whether we got anything like that going before everyone left in the summer. Plus when you have zilch to spend we have to accept bigger risks and are shopping in the lower categories of players like Telalovic.

29 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but as we're obviously after a new keeper, here seems as good a place as any.

Just read an interview on the Sky website with David Raya, he doesn't really say much about his time with us, but I thought this was quite telling:

image.png.f3f7b0b3a625e3a46ec4526b178d2995.png

Why? Why Dave? Why weren't you coming for crosses? Is this our famed goalkeeping coach at work? Wouldn't surprise me, nearly all of our keepers of late are/were shit at coming for crosses!

Does seem to be  remarkably similar how all our keepers flourish after leaving us.

Ours looks so scared to come off there line for a 1 on 1 and for crosses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Does seem to be  remarkably similar how all our keepers flourish after leaving us.

The goal we conceded last night was bread and butter for any keeper except Pears. Nice height,pace, and across the 6 yard box. Positive pears was behind the line when it went in 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hasta said:

There's been quite a few players who we get too young and don't look like they will particularly make it, but couple of years later are established as Championship level or higher. Look at Jared Branthwaite here. Looked fairly poor. Harwood-Bellis looked a far better prospect. Now he's in England squads and linked with big money moves.

At a lower level, Matt Grimes is another. A pointless kid midfielder loan who showed nothing at Ewood. A few years later and a mainstay for Swansea and now captain of their side.

Morton and Moran will probably go on to have decent careers in the top two flights. Problem is neither were ready for what we needed them for. The Harvey Elliot loans are few and far between.

This got me thinking. I think the only loanee CM who has ever worked out was Reed? And he was 23. I think it's a position you need experience for really, or at least a player coming through the club with time to grow.

Not saying it's impossible for a young loanee to work there before anyone starts. But we've seen Morton, Clarkson, Grimes and others fail. Who was the lad who missed a sitter against the Dingles, I wanna say Tom something? Can't remember anyone 21 or younger do well there on loan for us. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but it seems a high fail rate even for loanees.

21 minutes ago, London blue said:

Now now, I'd bite your hand off for Jason Roberts in this team. Sammie would score 40+

Jason Roberts was a bull in a china shop who couldn't hit the floor half the time if he fell on it.  This unique characteristic merely enhanced his most annoying trait of thinking he should be starting & playing 90 minutes in a squad with Benni McCarthy & Roque Santa Cruz. Of course the bastard scored against us one April Monday for Wigan when we were chasing CL.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I can picture it...

Benson: Sure, you could come off your line in those situations, but that's scary right? Everyone will be looking at you, and you might make an obvious mistake. Stay back on your line so the mistake is less obvious when it flies in.

Raya/Kaminski/Pears/Wahlstedt: But doesn't somebody need to try to stop the ball getting to their 6 ft 3 forward?

Benson: That's what your teammates are for.

Keeper: What, this team of midgets? I've been coming out for crosses since I was 8.

Benson: ....stay on your line lad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andyroversmad said:

Reminds me of Jason Roberts 

Surely not.

Jason's ability to miss an open goal from 2 yards out is the stuff of legends. He did 5 times to my recollection with one credulity stretching miss at Stamford Bridge.

On the other hand, Jason could find the net from the edge of the area.

41 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

The goal we conceded last night was bread and butter for any keeper except Pears. Nice height,pace, and across the 6 yard box. Positive pears was behind the line when it went in 

Haven't see the replays but for it to be an og, Bucko must have massively diverted the 16 year old's shot. That said, from the angle of the fixed camera it looked like he just stood there and watched it. 

34 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That Jason Roberts' 'Finishing Masterclass' that Sky or whoever did will forever live in infamy.

Legendary. Rovers had a video of Sam Gallagher practicing finishing a few years back as well, but think it's been deleted.

• Like 1