BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

What evidence is there loads of clubs where going to be bidding for him?He was available for £18.5 in January,paid in installments only £6 million would have gone on the books that season so not having ffp as an excuse why others couldn't have bid in January. 

His reputation rightfully grew due to him proving himself in the premier league, I honestly don't believe we would have had a host of clubs willing to pay much more than £20 million for him.Again il repeat he was wrongfully being overlooked for the under 21s, read an article that Newcastle considered him but had serious doubts over his stamina and ability to handle the pace and 90 minute at premier league 

I read an article saying Chelsea were in for him this summer. Rovers sold him on the cheap to keep the lights on. Rutter proves the fallacy of the Championship price ceiling argument. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I actually think that it's really unprofessional of the club for this kind of information to be leaked to a red-top hack.
What we offer a player to stay is confidential, unless the player wants to make it public.

Anyway, it was inevitable that SS was leaving this summer, but he leaves on a high (last season and 3 goals in 2 games this, so far).

Good luck to him, it's going to be a struggle at Ipswich, but I'm sure he'll open his banking app every week and the weekly 0-5 drubbings they're facing will be soon forgotten.

Genuinely hope he does well and earns a move to a bigger club whilst he's still at the peak of his powers.

Each and every time we've lost a senior valued player we hear either from favoured 'journalists' (usually Nixon or the Venkygraph) that we've been ever so desperate to keep them and have supposedly made scarcely believable offers to try to keep them but just couldn't do enough.

I think it is one of Waggott's favourite tried and tested tricks. It costs nothing for him to feed this BS to the media and for certain fans to swallow it, but what actually unfolds suggests it is nonsense. 

We are not a club that offers £22k a week to anyone anymore. They've just managed to get shut of Gallagher because he was costing them too much, they ain't saddling the club with another big wage straight after, definitely not on a 29 year old.

Most of us know this yet they persist with trying to spread this narrative because they are trying to get free credit.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

We had Sammie for 2 years, first season he was average, second season he made himself a rovers legend. Gutted he's gone as I was when Berg and Shearer and Duff went. But we move on and as I've got older I'm more rational and more forgiving. He goes with my blessing and he's earned his shot. Hope he does well but we will probably meet next year. Assuming we can spend some of his fee on a keeper(priority) and 4/5 more. Keeper permanent the rest can be loans if necessary. Then on Tuesday lets hope the for sale sign goes up and we can look forward to better days.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, imy9 said:

He is doing what’s right for himself and his family- ANYONE in his position would do the same, aged the same. Conducted himself like a pro, a real sad day for us but made up for Sammie.

don`t begrudge him the move,he`s run his b*****s off for us and always put the max effort in,add to the fact he`s hardly likely to get promoted with us,he definately deserves the move

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

What evidence is there loads of clubs where going to be bidding for him?He was available for £18.5 in January,paid in installments only £6 million would have gone on the books that season so not having ffp as an excuse why others couldn't have bid in January. 

His reputation rightfully grew due to him proving himself in the premier league, I honestly don't believe we would have had a host of clubs willing to pay much more than £20 million for him.Again il repeat he was wrongfully being overlooked for the under 21s, read an article that Newcastle considered him but had serious doubts over his stamina and ability to handle the pace and 90 minute at premier league 

The main sticking point is that he was available in Jan.  He shouldn't have been.  If we held on till summer, we'd have got more.  

That we didn't, is simply down to Venkys refusal to fund the club.  

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, alex l said:

It can't be asset stripping when the amount they have put in far outweighs the amount they are now getting back. This isn't a defense of them, just hate when the asset stripping comments crop up. 

Spot on. It’s “non-investment”. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lucimo said:

We had Sammie for 2 years, first season he was average, second season he made himself a rovers legend. Gutted he's gone as I was when Berg and Shearer and Duff went. But we move on and as I've got older I'm more rational and more forgiving. He goes with my blessing and he's earned his shot. Hope he does well but we will probably meet next year. Assuming we can spend some of his fee on a keeper(priority) and 4/5 more. Keeper permanent the rest can be loans if necessary. Then on Tuesday lets hope the for sale sign goes up and we can look forward to better days.

There is no excuse to only get one permanent signing from here.

• Like 3

I was resigned to losing Sammie after he single handedly kept us up last season. Happy with the incomings so far this summer, let’s just see what unfolds in the next few days. I’m quietly confident we’ll see some  gems to add to the new fella’s we’ve seen arrive and who are thriving.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, neophox said:

Seems Szmodics haven't been convinced by Eustace to stay... Think he liked Jdt

Seems more likely that he shared JDTs drive and ambition and now knows that he would never get PL football with us.

No blame on SS from me - cred that he played his part in 2 games despite the situation.

Club is gearing up for a relegation push rather than a promotion push (an exaggeration but I really do wonder if our owners would permit/enable promotion to the PL or if is actually past misdemeanors catching up with them that is screwing us over)

As much as i like him, losing Szmodics isn't the problem, change is constant in football and is probably the only constant.

The massive issue will come to a head 6 months from now when we have one again failed to replace him properly and go hurtling down the league again.

2 weeks to do something, and I think I know what that will be going off recent history.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

One definition of asset stripping:

"the practice of taking over a company in financial difficulties and selling each of its assets separately at a profit without regard for the company's future"

Most of that, other than the take over part, is what has been going on here for the last 3 years.

The definition you have quoted suggests that the money raised by the asset sales is siphoned off from entity disposing of the asset. At Rovers, the money stays in the club & as we know, is keeping the lights on. 

The issue now, is what happens if the taps remain turned off after Tuesday…what assets now remain to sell? We’ve sold the family silver. 

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

I actually think that it's really unprofessional of the club for this kind of information to be leaked to a red-top hack.
What we offer a player to stay is confidential, unless the player wants to make it public.

Anyway, it was inevitable that SS was leaving this summer, but he leaves on a high (last season and 3 goals in 2 games this, so far).

Good luck to him, it's going to be a struggle at Ipswich, but I'm sure he'll open his banking app every week and the weekly 0-5 drubbings they're facing will be soon forgotten.

Genuinely hope he does well and earns a move to a bigger club whilst he's still at the peak of his powers.

I'm still surprised, that no other PL club came in for him. The fact it's only Ipswich, makes me wonder as to the reasons for that.. Perhaps there were other clubs, and they didn't offer much, but we would have heard about that anyway 

• Like 1

I just ultimately wish the lad well, what the club do with the money is anyone's guess. It is literally guess work with these owners.

But back to Sammie, I've not seen anybody run through walls for years, like he did for our shirt last season. I hope he does himself proud in the Prem.

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

The issue now, is what happens if the taps remain turned off after Tuesday…what assets now remain to sell? We’ve sold the family silver. 

Guessing they now have enough to get them through this season.

The hope will be that Gueye bags 20 goals and he is the next one next summer to command a fee, possible outside bet of someone like Carter getting a decent fee too.

Rinse and repeat, the hope will always be that someone steps up and can he sold.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is no excuse to only get one permanent signing from here.

I agree but realistically do you think we will, given Venkys are seemingly refusing to spend anything of significance. 

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I'm still surprised, that no other PL club came in for him. The fact it's only Ipswich, makes me wonder as to the reasons for that.. Perhaps there were other clubs, and they didn't offer much, but we would have heard about that anyway 

As Iv stated many times but been slated for saying it

player age is massive 

And to add to that szmodics has only had one good season - a wonder season at that 

no history of playing at a higher level either 

he’s a risky buy - but I think given his personality and how he conducts himself and plays he will do just fine 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Seems more likely that he shared JDTs drive and ambition and now knows that he would never get PL football with us.

No blame on SS from me - cred that he played his part in 2 games despite the situation.

Club is gearing up for a relegation push rather than a promotion push (an exaggeration but I really do wonder if our owners would permit/enable promotion to the PL or if is actually past misdemeanors catching up with them that is screwing us over)

they definately do not want us in the premier league,how many times have we threatened the top six only for them to stop the momentum by selling players,not pressing  the submit button or failing to back the manager on deadline day

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Guessing they now have enough to get them through this season.

The hope will be that Gueye bags 20 goals and he is the next one next summer to command a fee, possible outside bet of someone like Carter getting a decent fee too.

Rinse and repeat, the hope will always be that someone steps up and can he sold.

It's like being a trading club if a trading club only did the selling bit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I agree but realistically do you think we will, given Venkys are seemingly refusing to spend anything of significance. 

No but you said if necessary as if it would be acceptable. It wouldnt and ultimately it wont.

11 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Good luck Sammie you owe us nothing unlike Finnernan and Ash Phillips, hope he smashes the prem 👍fee is fair only really done it for one season and is the wrong end of 20’s 

He has come a long way from you wishing that he broke his leg.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

I read an article saying Chelsea were in for him this summer. Rovers sold him on the cheap to keep the lights on. Rutter proves the fallacy of the Championship price ceiling argument. 

It doesn't.Rutter had played at a higher level.

Chelsea were in in January and wouldn't pay what palace did.

1 minute ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

As Iv stated many times but been slated for saying it

player age is massive 

And to add to that szmodics has only had one good season - a wonder season at that 

no history of playing at a higher level either 

he’s a risky buy - but I think given his personality and how he conducts himself and plays he will do just fine 

Unless Ipswich gets off to a cracking start, and on the front foot, its might be possible that Sammie has a rough season. Would have liked to have seen Sammie go to a team like Everton or Brighton, but good luck to him.