BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be looking at Celtic winger Johnston. Who was on loan at WBA last season 

I deffo would be offering a new contract 15k a week on 4 year contract. 

Weirdly I know Mikeys brother. He has premier league interest but Celtic are being difficult. Don’t know the full details but I’ll ask.

Josh Bowler would be the one I’d be keen to see us go for. Like others have said he seems to have a bit of magic about him but hasn’t settled at Forest. We may even get a loan deal with an agreed fee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nicko has been spotted so far with this story. Like many others

I deffo would be offering a new contract 15k a week on 4 year contract. 

Think Nicko is a useful 'tool' for Rovers.  Feeds the fans some decent stuff and then some bullsh1t to assuage the fans - £22k a week offer to Szmodics, he's having a larf.

Dolan will never, ever get anywhere near to replacing Szmodics.  IMO, a limited talent and a little upstart with little loyalty - this season will sadly tell.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

That I can agree with. May aswell be fuck all million.

The likelihood is, if anyone asks Waggott where the Szmodics money went further down the line, he'll say a big chunk of it went towards the jewtwashing of the Blackburn End. His trump card is also the cost of operating the academy, which most people will suck up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

£22k a week offer to Szmodics, he's having a larf.

A similar figure was mentioned when Brereton left too, it's just the classic "we did everything we could" line that will appease the Chaddys of this world.....

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

A similar figure was mentioned when Brereton left too, it's just the classic "we did everything we could" line that will appease the Chaddys of this world.....

To be honest, there is no risk in offering someone 20 odd grand a week when we know they will turn it down because they are being offered double that (and top flight football) elsewhere.

Silver lining (or hope) is that the sale of Gally was immediately followed by a flurry of incoming signings.  Which given the speed that they arrived would imply that deals had been agreed in advance, but could not be completed without the funds from the sale.  That is what I hope Eustace means when he said earlier this week that no deals were close (I think he said similar just before Gueye, Ohashi etc arrived)

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

But realistically in terms of who we are competing with/against who is splashing millions? Without selling a star player (excluding the relegated teams) not many 

I wasn't just meaning the ones we're effectively competing against, I don't think any club with or without money is up to full speed for a good few weeks. 

I'm always happy to sell non-young players one season too early over one season too late.

I've loved watching Szmodics play for Rovers. He seems like he genuinely cares and last season was pretty magical. But there's a far stronger chance that last year will be the outlier in his career and not the norm. I don't think he's really a Premier League player and if we had just been promoted I would be very disappointed to see us investing serious money in bringing him in.

I wish him the best of luck, but I think there's every chance that he's back in the Championship next season with Ipswich after a non-event of a Premier League season. 

I don't begrudge him trying to get the move. It will undoubtedly be a huge payday and a chance to prove himself at the top level, but I think this is good business from us.

I'll also say that his attitude at the start of the season has seemed off. It was notable how unhappy he seemed during the cup match. There's always a risk that this sort of thing can rub off on other players and it's not worth keeping him around. 

Now we will just have to wait and see how much will be reinvested. If we can get another 5/6m in players coming in then this will feel like a decent summer. But there's every chance that the Szmodics money was already used to bring in the last batch of signings and we will be left scraping the barrel with loans.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KentExile said:

To be honest, there is no risk in offering someone 20 odd grand a week when we know they will turn it down because they are being offered double that (and top flight football) elsewhere.

Silver lining (or hope) is that the sale of Gally was immediately followed by a flurry of incoming signings.  Which given the speed that they arrived would imply that deals had been agreed in advance, but could not be completed without the funds from the sale.  That is what I hope Eustace means when he said earlier this week that no deals were close (I think he said similar just before Gueye, Ohashi etc arrived)

If we are to replace him, another silver lining for me is the way Gestede's signings have started the season. It does at least give confidence going into the last couple of weeks of the window. 

We knew it was coming and I’m sure he’ll enjoy being nearer family and whatever pay bump he receives. Best wishes in the circumstances, but didn’t enjoy the Stroppy Sammy display on Tuesday.

Not so sure he’s going to enjoy watching from the bench as Liverpool and City put 8-10 past Ipswich over the next two weekends between them or as their only genuinely top-flight asset (McKenna) leaves them for better prospects towards Christmas.

There was a much better move for him if he held off a little bit and there was definitely a much better move for Rovers if we’d done the same.

Usually, we’d expect no reinvestment, though the recent recruitment has been better and more than we’d probably expected. Having said that, I imagine the “you scored four on the first game of the season, you’re fine” conversation has been had. Worth pointing out that we really weren’t in it until Szmodics had warmed his calves up against Derby.

I’ll be at Carrow Road this weekend. Had been feeling confident, currently a little unsure but intrigued to see what we look like post-Szmodics.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M_B said:

If we are to replace him, another silver lining for me is the way Gestede's signings have started the season. It does at least give confidence going into the last couple of weeks of the window. 

Pretty sure Szmodics intended replacement (Dolan) is already through the door, and that part of the funds received will go towards him signing a new contract.  expect the transfers/loans in to be a keeper, competition for Pickering, a CM, and a wide player with pace

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Pretty sure Szmodics intended replacement (Dolan) is already through the door, and that part of the funds received will go towards him signing a new contract.  expect the transfers/loans in to be a keeper, competition for Pickering, a CM, and a wide player with pace

Big season for Dolan if he’s seen as Sammies direct replacement. 

If I was an Ipswich fan I’d be slightly underwhelmed that they’d spent £10m on a 29 year old with no top flight experience after one very good season in the Championship. He’s been fantastic for us and thoroughly deserves the move but can see why other PL clubs weren’t in for him. If he was 5 years younger, clubs would have been queuing up for him.

Whether it’s a good deal for us will all depend on the next two weeks. The Gally money was seemingly spent well so interesting to see who we can bring in now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KentExile said:

We absolutely need a keeper. We can't go on trying to outscore the opposition when we've just sold off our top/only goalscorer on the cheap.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Big season for Dolan if he’s seen as Sammies direct replacement. 

From the sounds that Eustace has been making, it does sound like Dolan is the choice, although whether he is the right or wrong choice is of course up for debate

It has taken Ipswich 6 weeks of low balling us to reach 9+2.

Make that 9+1 because no way are they staying up, Szmodics regardless.

Not as pit of the stomach worried as I was when the first Ipswich offer was made. Gueye, Ohashi and Weinmann have chipped in with 5 goals between them this week so there are still goals in the team.

Like everyone else I want a keeper and a rapid winger. 3 high quality loans from the PL wouldn't go amiss either.

8 hours ago, Scoobydo said:

Everything in perspective. SS isn’t the world beater we all seem to think he is after last season. £10million all-in is good business for a soon to be 29 year old who’s best season by a country mile was last year. Don’t understand the melt down at all, before last year we’d have viewed him as a valuable squad player - he’s started this season in the same vein of form but against Derby and a terrible Stockport 11. 
Good luck and thanks SS. Who’s to say Yuki, Gueye or whoever can’t fill the void this season. We’ll be fine despite the continuous tumult above. 

SS is one of the best players we've had under Venky's and I'm guessing he's our first top goalscorer since Shearer (?). Some players figure something out and JDT made him make smarter runs into the box and his movement for his goal against Derby is a perfect example of that. Works his socks off too. That he's still in development at 29 is a testament to him really.

Remember it took him a season to really start producing the goods so especially Yuki I think needs to find his feet, while Gueye has a different style and if he can get 10 goals and a few assists (or second last pass) then he will have been a success. 

• Like 1

I'm amazed that no one else other than Ipswich are interested in him. Top scorer in the championship and league cup and 3 goals already this season. Mental to me no other mid table prem sides are sniffing around. Given some of the money they spend £10m is pretty low risk for them. 

The player sales of the last year should 100% have funded a promotion winning side but we all know we'll get nothing. 

• Like 7