BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

anybody asking Waggot the question "how much of the Sammi money will we see?"

My guess----- £1M for a goalkeeper.

Probably about right. We will then go shopping in the loan market and get a couple of youngsters to fill out the other positions, the rest of the money never to be seen again.

Then we get the 'loans aren't free you know!' line and the job is sorted.

Of course if there's any truth to the claim that we were attempting to sign the Dutch goalkeeper a couple of weeks ago this begs the question as to where that money has gone and why that can't be used instead of the Szmodics money.

Unless of course such a deal was contingent upon selling Szmodics and we pulled the plug on it once Ipswich started playing hard ball on the fee.

7 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

Your price inflation argument doesn’t really work considering Iv covered 10/15 years right up to this and last season and there’s little to no change in the prices 

secondly ONE team was in for him that tells its own story - no bidding wars just one live interest from the prem league

Brighton paid 40mill for Rutter best recruitment team in England why not go for szmodics?

So it simply just doesn’t stack up people saying he’s worth 15-20million given he’s no top flight experience anywhere is 29 next month and had one good season

wish him well though

Bidding wars are just a meme. Rovers set a price and Ipswich met it. Rovers should have set a higher price. But we all know they are flogging the family silver at knock down prices to pay the leccy. Roll up for the Rovers car boot sale. 

The inflation argument works precisely because you’ve covered 15 years. That’s how inflation works. Ross McCormack aged 29 being sold for £14m in 2016 is not the same as £14m today. 

Waggott is simply having his pants pulled down on a regular basis. A terrifying image, but there it is. 

• Like 1

On a side note ...

The sales before now have covered this years running costs due to no money from India with a small percentage including wage savings being reinvested recently. So with the Raya money now confirmed and Sammie all but gone that's circa another 15 million to cover next years costs.

So expect very little again other than wage saving and about 7% of instalment income being spent on further recruitment.

I wish him all the best, he’s been great for us, especially last season.  As Arbi says he played like a fan, never less than 100% effort no matter what was going on around him. 
Having said that I think he’s dropped a bollock signing for Ipswich but his bank manager would tell me otherwise I suppose. If he’s a success, they’ve got a bargain. If he isn’t, that’s my suspicion, they can sell him and probably get most of their money back.

• Like 1

Let's be realistic, Szmodics was always going, whether now or in January.  He will have a huge personal pull to go to Ipswich beyond the chance to play in the Premiership as he is from that part of the country.  Rovers (if the reports are to be believed) have got the fee they wanted, I guess the timing of the money coming and the believability of any of the add-ons being triggered are just as critical as the 'fee' suggested.

The test will now be to bring players in to strengthen the squad, hopefully there are a number in train but who knows?  What can be commented on is the additions so far and I think they've been above my expectations.  Mind you that was against a Derby side that is tipped for relegation and a team of kids from Stockport so the tests will start against Norwich.

1 minute ago, Forever Blue said:

Bidding wars are just a meme. Rovers set a price and Ipswich met it. Rovers should have set a higher price. But we all know they are flogging the family silver at knock down prices to pay the leccy. Roll up for the Rovers car boot sale. 

The inflation argument works precisely because you’ve covered 15 years. That’s how inflation works. Ross McCormack aged 29 being sold for £14m in 2016 is not the same as £14m today. 

Waggott is simply having his pants pulled down on a regular basis. A terrifying image, but there it is. 

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay - I personally wouldn't have wanted to deny Szmodics his shot at the Premiership. Last season was either a flash in the pan - or a late blooming in his career - either way a gamble for any buying club - which probably explains why we didn't have a deluge of offers despite last seasons goal tally.

No fan of Waggott - but he has been left with a weak hand - some of it his fault (and the owners), but also it is important that we aren't seen as blocking a player from his dream move. 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

That didn't last long Tommy!?!?

Didn’t say he wouldn’t go there. Always knew he would if Ipswich matched the offer. Just isn’t his first choice at all. More the only option he has.

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm naturally disappointed to be losing Szmodics but he's one of the few players I can't begrudge a big move to. He has come through the hard school, he hasn't been cosseted in an Academy and that shows in his play. His effort and willingness have been greatly appreciated and his goals did more than enough to keep us up last season. The biggest compliment I can pay him is that I think if any one of us fans got the opportunity to play for Rovers we would play like Szmodics does. Two of my best moments of the last fourteen years were the wins at Leeds and Leicester and Szmodics was fundamental in both. His celebration as he ran through to score the second goal at Leicester is a memory I'll cherish forever.

Thanks Sammy for the smiles and great moments you gave us.

Totally agree, there is something old school about him and its been great to watch him over come a tricky start a Ewood and grow into his full potential.

So many academy lads even the lower ability lower down the scale ones come across as entitled little tossers.  Not in a particularly nasty or arrogant way most will be decent lads but they are robotic and characterless. 

Players who come up the old way from lower down tend to have far more of an edge to them and appreciate it more.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Dolan isn't getting anywhere near Szmodics levels. 

No-one is expect Dolan to score 33 goals but I've expect between 12 to 15 goals with Gueye, Yuki to score similar then others scoring. 

6 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay - I personally wouldn't have wanted to deny Szmodics his shot at the Premiership. Last season was either a flash in the pan - or a late blooming in his career - either way a gamble for any buying club - which probably explains why we didn't have a deluge of offers despite last seasons goal tally.

No fan of Waggott - but he has been left with a weak hand - some of it his fault (and the owners), but also it is important that we aren't seen as blocking a player from his dream move. 

Nobody else came in for Wharton and he’s now worth £100m 6 months later. There will be a lot of recruitment teams and in the Prem looking on at his progress with embarrassment. They all thought they could wait till summer, but we all know what happened and why. 

Same with Sammie. He’s been sold on the cheap, and again we all know why.

• Like 4

So the season gets off to an unexpectedly promising start - then all momentum is derailed by the sale of our latest star asset at a very modest price.

Plus ca change..........

Another striker needed now in addition to the other gaps in the squad imo

For me also neither full back are good enough, we obviously need  a solid  keeper and extra creativity from midfield would be nice.

Not really holding my breath although tbf we seem to have done fairly well with the 3 forwards who have come in so far so hopefully we won't be seeing any more dross like Wahlstedt Ennis or Telalovic.

13 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Szmodics is the new Andy Crawford for me. Couldn’t wait to get away, but did a good job for the club while he was here. 

Very harsh.

I think his attitude has been exemplary whilst he was here and to be "The new Andy Crawford" he'd need to bomb everywhere else he went and be more or less finished with football altogether inside a couple of seasons.

I don't think that will happen to him at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Nobody else came in for Wharton and he’s now worth £100m 6 months later. There will be a lot of recruitment teams and in the Prem looking on at his progress with embarrassment. They all thought they could wait till summer, but we all know what happened and why. 

Same with Sammie. He’s been sold on the cheap, and again we all know why.

Wharton is worth a lot more because he’s now proven at the PL. No other teams bid for him in Jan when it was clear Palace were closing in. I’m sure many clubs are regretting not going for him, but ultimately Palace were the only ones who put in an offer. 

Szmodics has gone for a fair price given his age and lack of top flight experience. With how long this has dragged on, the club clearly haven’t accepted the first offer that’s arrived. 

• Like 3

Gutted about Sammie going, but we all knew it was coming - great post above by arbitro, agree with every word. Really hope Sammie absolutely smashes it in the PL.

On our end... every single penny needs to be reinvested into the playing squad, there are really no two ways about it. Eustace said he wanted 3/4 players, that should now become 4/5.

Can't say I have much faith that this will be the case tbh, can only hope.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TommyRovers said:

Didn’t say he wouldn’t go there. Always knew he would if Ipswich matched the offer. Just isn’t his first choice at all. More the only option he has.

If Leeds, Ipswich and Southampton came in for him how do you know he wouldn't still have chosen Ipswich if the money on offer was all similar or even Leeds had offered more ?????

• Backroom

Good luck Szmods, a well deserved move and it'll be interesting to see how he adapts to McKenna's way of playing. I think he could thrive there. Lad gave his all whilst he was here, proved a lot of people wrong and I wish him all the best. Without him we'd be at the beginning of a League 1 campaign now. 

As far as the money is concerned, will have to see how the court case goes. No point anticipating any spending until we know the lay of the land for the immediate future.