BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

25 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Scott Wharton isn’t out for the season, he’s out for the rest of 2024.

Saw him in the gym the other day, looks to be walking fine, but leg day wasn’t on the agenda….

Reported as a minimum of 9 months out when he got injured in May.

5 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

The "Sigurdsson is shit" consensus is baffling to me.

He just can't get in games when he's on the left. He can finish when he gets in a decent position, but he offers nothing else apart from that. 

I'm happy to give him a chance centrally now Szmodics has gone, but even there I doubt he's got everything you need to do well as a 10. 

1 minute ago, Forever Blue said:

Reported as a minimum of 9 months out when he got injured in May.

Sure he said he will take as long as he needs off and won’t rush any stage of recovery. Keeping him out for whole of next season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

He just can't get in games when he's on the left. He can finish when he gets in a decent position, but he offers nothing else apart from that. 

I'm happy to give him a chance centrally now Szmodics has gone, but even there I doubt he's got everything you need to do well as a 10. 

If we sign a LW and a replacement for Szmodics I think Siggy will be sold

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

In his first few games for the club, in which he was playing from the left, Sigurdsson looked more than useful and scored a few too. 

There is the possibility that as last season progressed and Rovers found such a reliable source of goals in Szmodics, that other avenues of attack were bypassed/ignored in favour other the guy who was in red hot form, especially towards the end of the season when it was win or bust.

That being said, I expect him to be a bench option at most this season with Dolan central and a new player on the left

Edited by KentExile

2 hours ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

Kamara was this summer 

pope 2022

the fundamental point is that age is a massssive factor which fans don’t seem to appreciate 

if Sammie had top level experience and it didn’t work out and came to rovers and did what he’s done then the 12 up front plus add ons would be realistic 

but he hasn’t the highest he has played is championship level he’s 29 next month

there were no other clubs in for him and he wanted to explore the opportunity to play ( in his own words)

so with all that considered I’m not sure how fans can be up in arms with the fee 

what we do with the money is a completely different topic but the fee is fair 

Like I said most are nearly a decade ago, Pope is a goalkeeper who naturally are the lowest value area of the pitch, even at the highest level. A 29 year old top Championship scorer named in the Team of the Season for the Championship is worth more in 2024 than 2015 thats just basic economics.

His age is meaningless Ipswich gave him a 4 year deal, spread the £9m over the 4 years and you are saying his value to us is £2.25 a season (which is infact less as we have to pay Peterborough a cut too) Would you have loaned him out for £2m this season?

The fee once again deemed acceptable by the board is piss poor.

Edited by Spankus Munky
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I don’t think we’re in a position to loose anyone else because it looks doubtful we will replace…I’d be amazed if we get more than 4.

That's where I'm at. We have to be at a point where no further outgoings can be sanctioned. Certainly not for any players in and around the first team last season.

We now need to add quality and in numbers (minimum 5 imo).

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sigurdsson is a reasonable finisher, but otherwise, hes slow, he cant take people on, hes not technically great and he is soft and doesnt work hard.

He's also not good defensively.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, J*B said:

Sammie gone according to SSN, medical in the morning.

I see three scenarios playing out:

1) Venkys win their court case on Tuesday and - subject to still being interested in doing so - begin to fund the club again. That will mean we will have the Szmodics money and potentially the Raya money to spend this window. 

2) Venkys have their case pushed back again and the Szmodics money is banked to cover running costs until January

3) Venkys lose the court case, the Szmodics money is used to cover loses whilst a buyer is fou

4 Venky's win the court case and still don't fund any further

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I would keep Siggy even if he is in his last year. Solid number 10 who will rotate well with Dolan, he will also score a few.

I agree, good squad player with the potential still to stake a claim for a regular starting spot with szmodics now gone, financially we've no reason to sell him on

Best outcome: judge directs them to immediately take steps to relinquish control of the club as the current situation will not be allowed to continue much longer.

Most likely outcome: we're having the same discussion in January or February ahead of another hearing date and nothing changes before then.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

In his first few games for the club, in which he was playing from the left, Sigurdsson looked more than useful and scored a few too. 

There is the possibility that as last season progressed and Rovers found such a reliable source of goals in Szmodics, that other avenues of attack were bypassed/ignored in favour other the guy who was in red hot form, especially towards the end of the season when it was win or bust.

That being said, I expect him to be a bench option at most this season with Dolan central and a new player on the left

Personally I thought even in that initial spell he was scoring without really doing anything else. Obviously if you score enough then you can make allowances for that, but on last season's evidence I don't think you could say that he was good at anything apart from finishing. 

He isn't quick or strong enough to be an effective out ball. He doesn't take defenders on with the ball at his feet. He isn't able to cut in from the left and shoot with his right often enough. In one way moving him inside so he gets more shooting opportunities makes sense, but even there he'll get even less space and time on the ball than he does when playing out wide.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but judging off last year he lacks either the desire or ability to play out wide, and just goes missing far far too often.

We were discussing him in the local merchants, as you do. Maybe a bit harsh, but one lad said Tuesday night was a glorified training game, and Siggurdson still went down twice injured. 

When I saw Sigurdssons you tube clips prior to him joining he was a totally different player. Constantly beating players and looked quick. 

He hasn’t done that at all. I think there’s a top player in there and it maybe down to confidence. Hopefully he gets in a groove and smashes a few in early doors.

• Like 1

I can’t understand why anyone cares about the court case. They didn’t manage the club properly before it so why would anything change if they do actually manage to get it sorted. Best case they are forced to sell up. All transfer windows have been depressing since these fools took over. At least Sammie will be wearing the green so get to cheer him in a couple of months.

Rovers are in such a sorry state - and now forced to sell their best player to a club that was in L1 less than 1.5 years ago. Meanwhile, Suhail Shaik boast on his LinkedIn page/CV about “completing the successful acquisition of BRFC”. Aren’t they embarrassed, Suhail and the Venksters? Hundreds of millions down the drain, with nothing to show for, and now again exposed as complete amateurs for the umpteenth time by the dynamic and competent Ipswich owners… useless.

• Like 3