BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

From someone who should know.

I don’t think Peterborough will be rushing to sell and with the man making the decisions their end it will be a difficult. Can’t see us paying anything close to what he’ll ask for and can see competition offering much better package than we can.

If we're not looking at Poku then who are we looking at? The problem with us is that as soon as there are other bidders it seems like we pull away from any deal as the buruaucracy within the club takes too long to get anything done in time. Free's and players we have tracked for a while, sure, but yeah...could be we're a bit better now with the new setup but not holding my breath over the quality of the signings we'll make. 

9 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I don’t think Peterborough will be rushing to sell and with the man making the decisions their end it will be a difficult. Can’t see us paying anything close to what he’ll ask for and can see competition offering much better package than we can.

I agree, does seem like one of those that we would all love to happen but someone with more money will come in. Out of contract next summer so I doubt their manager will want him to leave on a free which is the only thing that gives me a sliver of hope. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Seemingly not true. If he indeed said it which we dont know.

That’s why I said to my mate, don’t trust Waggott. Lying bastard. I told him he should of challenged him.

As I’ve said before, when people see him in person, nothing is said. If it was, he’d run a mile.

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

I agree, does seem like one of those that we would all love to happen but someone with more money will come in. Out of contract next summer so I doubt their manager will want him to leave on a free which is the only thing that gives me a sliver of hope. 

Ahh I see, didn’t see he was out of contract next season…But yeah competition will be our issue…Imagine someone like Hull going in for him.

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

They will get a fee anyway, just as long as he doesn't move abroad?

1 minute ago, booth said:

They won't lead from the bench will they?

They can help see out games and influence from the bench and in the dressing room, as well as in training. Carter went off injured so Batth will probably start the next match.

1 hour ago, BRFC4EVA said:

That Poku guy seems exactly the kind of player we should be signing.

Which is exactly why we won't be signing him.

Tweeted about him two years ago and he’s only got better. Be an unbelievable signing, nothing remotely credible linking us to him though in case I’ve missed it.

• Like 1

For where we are right now, I'd be more inclined to go the experienced, old head, keeper route.

It's the most important signing of the lot and we cannot afford another Wahlstedt catastrophe. Looks like we can trust Gestede, but unless he's 100% sure of an unproven keeper, I'd be happy to sign an experienced stop gap. 

6 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

They can help see out games and influence from the bench and in the dressing room, as well as in training. Carter went off injured so Batth will probably start the next match.

That still doesn't fix the issue of having a leaky defence.

I'm not quite sure why some fans don't want a better defence. It's clear from the first two league games that we're going to need 3 goals+ to win a game. We had the league's top scorer last season and we still couldn't stop them going in the other end. I've seen no evidence that it's changed this season. We've conceded 4 goals against two poorly performing teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, booth said:

I'm not quite sure why some fans don't want a better defence. It's clear from the first two league games that we're going to need 3 goals+ to win a game. We had the league's top scorer last season and we still couldn't stop them going in the other end. I've seen no evidence that it's changed this season. We've conceded 4 goals against two poorly performing teams.

Fair enough but I believe a better goalkeeper will help with that. We conceded one on the break from Brittain's error, and another was a beautiful attack when we weren't in balance. The most worrying thing so far is how poor we have looked on set pieces against, that has to be corrected.

4 minutes ago, booth said:

Better keeper improves the defence. That's got to be the starting point.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

For where we are right now, I'd be more inclined to go the experienced, old head, keeper route.

It's the most important signing of the lot and we cannot afford another Wahlstedt catastrophe. Looks like we can trust Gestede, but unless he's 100% sure of an unproven keeper, I'd be happy to sign an experienced stop gap. 

It just kicks the can down the road, we arent as desperate for older heads now, we need a number 1 that can do the job for a number of years. 

We cant be put off because of one poor signing otherwise we would only sign steady heads in every position. With the older keepers mentioned, they tend to have shown signs of decline which will only worsen so it comes with its own risks.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

A new keeper is a must this week, plus I would like pacey winger also in this week. Left back and Centre midfielder 

Do you go to bed dreaming of a 'pacey winger'!?

You could rationally argue we need 7 to 8 quality additions.

Number 1 priority is goalkeeper.  

Only Carter in our back four is up to scratch.

Need some creativity in midfield.

Need two wingers who can really drive with the ball.

Need another central striker.

Even our 'first eleven' will struggle and that's before injuries and suspensions bite.  Two league games and we've got lucky - it won't continue.

The last two weeks of the window will determine not just our season but perhaps even our very existence.

Make no mistake, we are in a mess and you can only paper over the cracks for so long.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Better keeper improves the defence. That's got to be the starting point.  

I agree. Hyam would benefit from a more commanding keeper, but we're without any leadership across the entire defence, bench warmers aside. A younger McFadz would be that man but he isn't going to feature in every match.

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Even our 'first eleven' will struggle and that's before injuries and suspensions bite.  Two league games and we've got lucky - it won't continue.

The last two weeks of the window will determine not just our season but perhaps even our very existence.

Make no mistake, we are in a mess and you can only paper over the cracks for so long.

We were not at all lucky against derby really not sure how you have come to that conclusion 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, booth said:

Who is saying they don’t want a better defence? I think it’s universally agreed that we need better full backs and a new GK. 

Poorly performing? Norwich were top six last season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It just kicks the can down the road, we arent as desperate for older heads now, we need a number 1 that can do the job for a number of years. 

We cant be put off because of one poor signing otherwise we would only sign steady heads in every position. With the older keepers mentioned, they tend to have shown signs of decline which will only worsen so it comes with its own risks.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to a "gamble", just that the gamble needs to be a dead cert. Otherwise it's Pears as an unchallenged number 1 for another season. 

Obvious scenario would be one of each category. 

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Who is saying they don’t want a better defence? I think it’s universally agreed that we need better full backs and a new GK. 

Poorly performing? Norwich were top six last season. 

.... and Derby beat Boro today. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Thats a bit dramatic, we're sat 3rd in the table and have scored 12 goals in our first three games.

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'm not saying I'm opposed to a "gamble", just that the gamble needs to be a dead cert. Otherwise it's Pears as an unchallenged number 1 for another season. 

Obvious scenario would be one of each category. 

Its impossible to get a dead cert either way, a veteran isnt a dead cert. You look at the veterans we have been linked with, Ruddy relegated and released with the fans blessing after a poor season, Begovic released by QPR after a poor season and Krul who has barely played in years. If anything, it is more risky because the clock is ticking on their career.

• Like 2