BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

12 minutes ago, Neal said:

Screenshot_2024-08-18-19-04-09-743_com.android.chrome.jpg

Open to it? That's good of him 😂 Goes without saying he'd be open to it, I assume that's slightly lost in translation. Keen perhaps?

Wasn't it said on here that this deal would be another very cheap one for some reason? Can anybody remember how much or why? I feel like there was a clause again like with Ohashi or something, but I may be misremembering.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Tbf, you say you're a businessman and yet you think £6 million plus 4 years of 20k p/w wages (4 million) and NI adds up to £14 million. You also think gambling on the incorrect outcome is a 'license to print money'. So, whilst I don't believe we'll be signing him, stones and glass houses come to mind.

Firstly, I am not a businessman and never said so - get your facts right!

I am a chartered accountant who has worked in practice, in businesses and across businesses (including sport) for 40ish years.

Clearly, your knowledge is very basic and limited, so how could you get to a 'broad brush cost' in the region of £14million' for a 4 year deal.  Cost would include:

• Transfer fee £6m
  • Transfer levy @ 5% £0.3m
  • Agent's fee - anything from £400k to £750k
  • Basic wage - £20k to £30k pw plus employers' ni at 13.7% (4 year cost in £4.7m to £7.1m range)
  • Total cost range £11.4m to £14.2m and that is BEFORE:
  • Appearance bonuses
  • Win bonuses
  • Milestone bonuses (eg goal targets, staying in league, play-off position, promotion, international recognition)
  • Loyalty bonuses
  • Image right payments 

So £14m, give or take a £million, is probably in the right ball park.

As for liking a bet, it's feck all to do with you what I do with my money.

If you are going to challenge me then first get your facts right and have a basic understanding in what is involved in the economics of player trading.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Open to it? That's good of him 😂 Goes without saying he'd be open to it, I assume that's slightly lost in translation. Keen perhaps?

Wasn't it said on here that this deal would be another very cheap one for some reason? Can anybody remember how much or why? I feel like there was a clause again like with Ohashi or something, but I may be misremembering.

Contract up in Jan 25 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

I am a chartered accountant who has worked in practice, in businesses and across businesses (including sport) for 40ish years.

Clearly, your knowledge is very basic and limited so how could you get to a 'broad brush cost' in the region of £14million' for a 4 year deal.  Cost would include:

• Transfer fee £6m
  • Basic wage - £20k to £30k pw plus employers' ni at 13.7% (4 year cost in £4.7m to £7.1m range)
  • Appearance bonuses
  • Win bonuses
  • Milestone bonuses (eg goal targets, staying in league, play-off position, promotion, international recognition)
  • Loyalty bonuses
  • Image right payments 

As for liking a bet it's feck all to do with you what I do with my money.

If you are going to challenge me then first get your facts right and have a basic understanding in what is involved in the economics of player trading.

🤣 Fucking hell you're easier rattled than I thought! Fine, you act like you think you're a businessman, whatever. Bit more embarassing if you're an accountant and you can't do the sums on your own claim though.

It's not feck all to do with me, I'd like it to be, but you emblazon it over the board every matchday. Until you lose and never mention it again.

Now, get your own facts straight - YOU said the fee, wages and NI came to about 14 million. Now you're adding a bunch of extra things you didn't originally state (including performance related payments which may never be reached), shifting the wage from 20k ish to up to 30k, acting like image rights are really going to be a thing in the Championship and throwing in a 'give or take a million' when you realise it probably doesn't add up to that even with your extras.

Maybe lighten up a bit. But I guess you're pissed off because you had to downgrade from a fancy red to a bottle of Budweiser after your money printing license didn't pan out.... 😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you told about Ipswich in for Szmodics about 12 to 18 hours before Nixon ran the story so yes you were right they wanted him and bid for him, but also you said it would be done weeks before it was done. 

Chaddy, it was 18 days before the deal was completed and not weeks!

It has been speculated Rovers moved the goal posts when a deal had been agreed with Ipswich - seemingly, if that hadn't happened, it would not have dragged on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Clearly, your knowledge is very basic and limited, so how could you get to a 'broad brush cost' in the region of £14million' for a 4 year deal.  Cost would include:

• Transfer fee £6m
  • Appearance bonuses
  • Win bonuses
  • Loyalty bonuses
  • Image right payments 

As for liking a bet it's feck all to do with you what I do with my money.

This is great 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

• Transfer fee £6m
  • Appearance bonuses
  • Win bonuses
  • Loyalty bonuses
  • Image right payments 

As for liking a bet, it's feck all to do with you what I do with my money.

At the same time we're selling Szmodics for £9m who we 'allegedly' were offering £22k/pw so it's give and take. Waggott also uses installments as an excuse every chance he gets, but all incomings are paid in installments as well. Sure, we do have a problem with generating FCF but we've banked a hell of a lot from sales that a £6m fee shouldn't be totally written off. Don't know who and what we're chasing but we better chase fast and not run up blind alleys - this might just be one, and we're not even sure if we've approached Stansfield's agent or Fulham.

I don't want an OAP freebie being brought in and would like the club to spend a bit on a long term solution for goalkeeper but I think there may be better value than Iverson,25 grand a week he is supposedly and although a good keeper at this level IV never thought wow,some of his loans haven't been great.

Surely better value going into Europe and hope recruitment finds the next Kaminski, rather than Whalsedt.The test for these foreign lads will come in the winter months ,but the starts made by them should breed confidence in the recruitment this season.

Nice nod to the recruitment staff by Eustace in the let article, acknowledging his involvement was minimal and saying both have taken him by surprise with their performances so far

Just looking at gueye ohashi and Germain all very very good in the air. Whilst for me goalkeeper needs to be the main priority and some pace in the team (not all pacy wingers have good delivery) we need someone who excels in crossing/set pieces someone who is reliable with deliveries. Brittains cross yesterday was sublime and very brave from ohashi 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

🤣 Fucking hell you're easier rattled than I thought! Fine, you act like you think you're a businessman, whatever. Bit more embarassing if you're an accountant and you can't do the sums on your own claim though.

It's not feck all to do with me, I'd like it to be, but you emblazon it over the board every matchday. Until you lose and never mention it again.

Now, get your own facts straight - YOU said the fee, wages and NI came to about 14 million. Now you're adding a bunch of extra things you didn't originally state (including performance related payments which may never be reached), shifting the wage from 20k ish to up to 30k, acting like image rights are really going to be a thing in the Championship and throwing in a 'give or take a million' when you realise it probably doesn't add up to that even with your extras.

Maybe lighten up a bit. But I guess you're pissed off because you had to downgrade from a fancy red to a bottle of Budweiser after your money printing license didn't pan out.... 😉

Not easily rattled at all.

Fact is my broad brush numbers are right and £14m (even with a basic wage of £20k pw) is very likely to be at the bottom end of the range with a few £million more at the top range with a bigger 'basic' and other payments.

For your information, 'wages and salaries' is a generic term (as per the accounts for The Blackburn Rovers Football and Athletic Limited) and includes all 'basics', bonuses and loyalty payments etc and employers' NI related to all such payments.  I always mention employers' NI seperately when posting as for many it is a substantial cost (pushing 14%) which is often not known about or overlooked by fans.

As for image rights in the Championship, I know of one player in the Championship, and there may well be others, who enjoys image right payments due to international recognition.

As for my betting, I do not 'emblazon it over the board every match day'.  Give me examples to back up your claim.

As for being pissed off and down grading to a Bud, I can tell you I was delighted Rovers got a result and enjoyed an excellent white for a change!

I don't mind being challenged but you really do need to get your facts right first before openly aiming to diss an individual.

Edited by Mercer

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

What the made up concept where you can spend 0 on transfer fees and still think Venkys are investing into the team?

The concept of signing well scouted, quality players for nothing or very little, like Ohashi and Gueye, rather than lazily signing the likes of Jerry Yates for £2.5 million. 

Gestede has made a good start, I'm sure he'll use any transfer money well. 

On 25/07/2024 at 11:46, Rover8T4 said:

Not sure. It was written in the post from Japanese reporter when he broke the story again. Said we tried in winter, maybe we switched targets to McGuire but doubtful as Ohashi was a free. Maybe the lad didn't feel ready then but recent form and other Jleague players doing well in this league the past 6 months has changed his mind

Is this true about Ohashi? Was going back through Japanese reporters posts and couldnt see if this was about Ohashi or German.

Whilst obviously the key to recruitment is identifying the best possible players over a wider spread of countries, it is a considerable advantage to have more money available in the first place. There is a strong (not absolute obviously) correlation between the money spent on players and how well that team is likely to do.

The issue with say signing Jerry Yates for £2.5m is not anything to do with the fact that they had £2.5m as opposed to say £1m. Its lazy recruitment. (Im guessing that is Swansea who have since loaned him to Derby) Had they spent £1m but had the same scouting and recruitment and the same close mindedness, they likely would have got someone domestic with even less of a track record.

The more money available to us, the better. It is as simple as that, budget plays a huge part. It will all come down to recruitment from that part, but our recruitment team will have a much better chance of finding quality if they have more money. Because we signed Ohashi and Gueye for cheaper than Yates, that doesnt prove that its sometimes better to have less money, although it is very premature to assume them as successes yet anyway. It perhaps proves that casting your net further and looking across the world can help you to fins better value for whatever budget you have available. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, M_B said:

The concept of signing well scouted, quality players for nothing or very little, like Ohashi and Gueye, rather than lazily signing the likes of Jerry Yates for £2.5 million. 

Gestede has made a good start, I'm sure he'll use any transfer money well. 

But once again, if you have a well organised scouting team who can consistently hit on free players, then why would you not allow them to spend a bit extra to get that extra quality.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stockport Rovers said:

Is this true about Ohashi? Was going back through Japanese reporters posts and couldnt see if this was about Ohashi or German.

Yes, Ohashi was approached in the winter. But decided to stay in Japan and the European clause was inserted when he signed for new club.

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Chaddy, it was 18 days before the deal was completed and not weeks!

It has been speculated Rovers moved the goal posts when a deal had been agreed with Ipswich - seemingly, if that hadn't happened, it would not have dragged on.

Well its felt like weeks lets be honest, you are very quick to blame for moving the goal posts but no one has reported this, but Ipswich knew the fee we wanted and given what they have spend on Delap who Szmodics out scored 4 to 1 last season and they spend 10m on Muric who is awful. They should have re sign Hladky instead. They have got a bargain for £10m for Szmodics. Kevin Gallacher on Saturday during his commentary on radio Lancs bemoaning the fee we recieved saying it should be much higher for the championship and FA cup top scorer 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst obviously the key to recruitment is identifying the best possible players over a wider spread of countries, it is a considerable advantage to have more money available in the first place. There is a strong (not absolute obviously) correlation between the money spent on players and how well that team is likely to do.

The issue with say signing Jerry Yates for £2.5m is not anything to do with the fact that they had £2.5m as opposed to say £1m. Its lazy recruitment. (Im guessing that is Swansea who have since loaned him to Derby) Had they spent £1m but had the same scouting and recruitment and the same close mindedness, they likely would have got someone domestic with even less of a track record.

The more money available to us, the better. It is as simple as that, budget plays a huge part. It will all come down to recruitment from that part, but our recruitment team will have a much better chance of finding quality if they have more money. Because we signed Ohashi and Gueye for cheaper than Yates, that doesnt prove that its sometimes better to have less money, although it is very premature to assume them as successes yet anyway. It perhaps proves that casting your net further and looking across the world can help you to fins better value for whatever budget you have available. 

What is needed is good set of scouts, but also a head of scouting and recruitment with a range of contacts 

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely if Ipswich have got a bargain for Szmodics them they were correct to hold off.

Well they didn't get a bargain when they overpaid for Muric, Delap and Hutchison did they? 

Also that's Former Rovers player Kevin Gallacher opinion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well they didn't get a bargain when they overpaid for Muric, Delap and Hutchison did they? 

Also that's Former Rovers player Kevin Gallacher opinion.  

All entitled to their opinion but the opinion is with unconscious bias towards rovers. It’s very simple to do some research to show how much 29 year olds go for 

and when you taken into consideration 

it’s been a one off (so far) 

never played higher level than championship

wanted to go to prem 

all those factors the fee was in and around the right amount 

• Like 1