BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

57 minutes ago, M_B said:

The point I'm making is that signing a free or virtually free transfer, doesn't necessarily mean you're signing a lower quality player,it's often the opposite. It isn't justifying cost cutting by Venky’s, it's people doing their job properly. 

It is complete exaggeration to say often the opposite. It can happen but it is surprising when it does. 

Also what do you mean lower quality player, compared to who? If one scouting department has 5 mill to spend and one has 0 mill on fees then 9 times out of 10 the first one gets the better players

This seems like way too naive a viewpoint to me.  If you want good players you have to pay money, unless you assume you are far smarter than everyone else in the room. 

You also have the addition downside that players on free are often far lower in resale value due to them being much older. Out of all the players we have signed I would say that only one has potential for good resale value, Gueye, the one we paid money for

Edited by CambridgeRover

3 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

It is complete exaggeration to say often the opposite. It can happen but it is surprising when it does. 

Also what do you mean lower quality player, compared to who? If one scouting department has 5 mill to spend and one has 0 mill on fees then 9 times out of 10 the first one gets the better player.

This seems like way too naive a viewpoint to me.  If you want good players you have to pay money, unless you assume you are far smarter than everyone else in the room. 

Once again, I agree, but I wasn't t talking about players who cost £5 million,i never was. 

I compared a £2.5 million player in Yates to a free player in Ohashi. You never answered, but which one would you have? 

At that level, a lot of money can often get you not very much. 

That's not to say that we shouldn't be looking to pay for the right player. If Gestede wants to pay a fee, the club should try to support him. 

56 minutes ago, M_B said:

I compared a £2.5 million player in Yates to a free player in Ohashi. You never answered, but which one would you have?

I didn't respond because what point are you trying to make. I don't know who I would have, Jerry Yates has struggled at Swansea and it is too early to know about Ohashi.

Would you rather have the 1 million pound player in Viktor Gyökeres (when Coventry bought him) or Ohashi? Would you rather have X player when Y was free?

The whole point is that no one knows 100% how a transfer will work out. But spending money, even if it is a million pounds or 500k, will on average get you a better player than a free transfer. 

• Like 6

There has risen a trend in recent years about players running down their contracts.

Many players, some at top level, have gone on a free to new clubs.

Brereton Diaz and Mbappe are just a few examples.

Therefore, perhaps more players than before are going on a free?

Edited by sverrehh

1 minute ago, sverrehh said:

There has risen a trend in recent years about players running down their contracts.

Many players, some at top level, have gone on a free to new clubs.

Brereton Diaz and Mbappe are just a few examples.

Therefore, perhaps more players than before are going on a free?

Normally because they get sign ons right in their own pocket 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

Unfortunately at our level the only proven players we can afford are mediocre. So it's either go that way or take punts on unknown risks and hope they turn out more Tronstad than Telalovic

At our level, any club doing 30m+ in sales is reinvesting that

45 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I didn't respond because what point are you trying to make. I don't know who I would have, Jerry Yates has struggled at Swansea and it is too early to know about Ohashi.

Would you rather have the 1 million pound player in Viktor Gyökeres (when Coventry bought him) or Ohashi? Would you rather have X player when Y was free?

The whole point is that no one knows 100% how a transfer will work out. But spending money, even if it is a million pounds or 500k, will on average get you a better player than a free transfer. 

This board will tell you exactly how a player turns out, before they have kicked a ball 

Some frustration in the camp about incoming transfers. Where have we heard that before?

I despise the Venkys, but throughout history they have occasionally found money for a striker. If they do find it then I hope Stansfield is good enough to hit the ground running. Gallagher got a lot of goals in his first season for us - look how that ended up

I don’t think we can afford another Brereton period. It needs to be an instant impact

Hull confident of landing Travis according to this:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/hull-city-target-double-midfield-9492509

And after how Eustace has gone on about Travis and made him captain, I would think against his wishes.

A slippery slope........................

Seems like Rovers Insider correct, again!

Edited by Mercer

What would we (on the forum) consider an acceptable fee for Travis?

Ignoring the usual boring arguments of how much of it would be reinvested. Just what would we consider a fair price?

Waggott said in his annual interview that Travis returning to the club fulfilled one of the club’s ambitions for the transfer club this summer i.e. he added ‘resilience’

Now Waggott is in discussions to sell him? 

It’s almost as if they make it up as they go along. 

My only hope here is that like with Gally we are getting rid of a higher earner to replace them with someone better.

Edited by Forever Blue

Established championship player, plenty of experience but still a good age going into the peak of his career, part of a promotion winning squad last season (not that he played much but still). Don't want to sell in a position we've already established we are light in. You'd have to say that any other club in the division would be asking £4-6m or so.

Hull are probably offering £1.6m and we'll eventually sell at about £2.5m.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

What would we (on the forum) consider an acceptable fee for Travis?

Ignoring the usual boring arguments of how much of it would be reinvested. Just what would we consider a fair price?

2 years left on his contract and just about to enter his prime years….I’d agree with the £3m quoted above. 

I wonder if he wants to leave and he’s the one pushing it?

Edited by Forever Blue