BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

12 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

How is it poor business nobody has answered this question to me

29 year old 

1 breakout season 

no top flight experience before 

wanted to go

how on earth is that worth 17/18 million

In his prime, a goal scorer, rarely injured. 

Players like that are worth their weight in gold.

Shouid have been close to £15m

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Posh Chairman in LT saying we’ve been robbed selling Szmods on the cheap - words to that effect. 

Not sure how it can be deemed any more of a robbery than us signing him from that clown himself for £1.8m + add-ons just 2 years earlier?

They turned a league 1 player into the championship for £2m then we turned a championship player into the prem for £10m within 2 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

In his prime, a goal scorer, rarely injured. 

Players like that are worth their weight in gold.

Shouid have been close to £15m

I’m sorry but you can’t say someone is in their prime because of a breakout season in the champ at the age of 29 

the proof was in the pudding 

szmodics was known to want prem league football Ipswich made a very poor offer of 6million over a month ago

no other prem team showed any interest in him at all no bidding wars no enquiries Ipswich only and the reason for that is the risk attached and the risk being his age and can he or can’t he cope in the prem? 

If germain is a viable option giving his current breakthrough season at 29 how much should we theoretically pay for him?

23 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

How is it poor business nobody has answered this question to me

29 year old 

1 breakout season 

no top flight experience before 

wanted to go

how on earth is that worth 17/18 million

I can tell you 27 reasons why he’s worth 17/18 million

Edited by MB Rover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

I can tell you 27 reasons why he’s worth 17/18 million

What a player is worth to our club isn’t what they are worth in the market

so again in comparisons to others of his age can you point me in the direction of a 29 year old who has went for 17/18million with the same profile as Sammie - I bet you can’t 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

I’m sorry but you can’t say someone is in their prime because of a breakout season in the champ at the age of 29 

the proof was in the pudding 

szmodics was known to want prem league football Ipswich made a very poor offer of 6million over a month ago

no other prem team showed any interest in him at all no bidding wars no enquiries Ipswich only and the reason for that is the risk attached and the risk being his age and can he or can’t he cope in the prem? 

If germain is a viable option giving his current breakthrough season at 29 how much should we theoretically pay for him?

I can say he’s in his prime and I have. ‘Prime’ is dictated by age and experience, before loss of physicality leads to a decline in ability. The ages between about 26-31 are generally regarded as the prime years. 

So yeah, a player in his prime who is a goals scorer. Even £15m is a bargain if he keeps them up. 

6 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

I can say he’s in his prime and I have. ‘Prime’ is dictated by age and experience, before loss of physicality leads to a decline in ability. The ages between about 26-31 are generally regarded as the prime years. 

So yeah, a player in his prime who is a goals scorer. Even £15m is a bargain if he keeps them up. 

And if he doesn’t keep them up and does an Adam Armstrong?

the same Adam Armstrong who went for 18mill when he was 24

8 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Interesting interview. If he is being forced out by the money men then this is him making sure everyone knows it’s not Travis pushing for it. 

If so, the money men would not allow this interview to happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Posh Chairman in LT saying we’ve been robbed selling Szmods on the cheap - words to that effect. 

Again, that tosspot said we'd overpaid for Szmodics and he was never worth what we paid.

He will say whatever he wants to appease himself and the Posh.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

The issue is lack of further potential. Ipswich are very unlikely to sell at a profit exactly because they’re getting him at his peak. There’s no sell on value. Clubs pay the big money for younger players with high potential. That’s not Szmodics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

And if he doesn’t keep them up and does an Adam Armstrong?

the same Adam Armstrong who went for 18mill when he was 24

Then Ipswich would have a fantastic asset and proven goalscorer at this level to attempt to get them promoted at the first attempt 

Lewis Dobbin went for the same money as Szmodic 

I get the age argument but Sheffield United bought brewster a couple of years ago for 20+ million on the back of half a good season on loan at Swansea.If Sheffield United put Brewster on the market now they would be lucky to get £5 million. 

Szmodic was sold cheaply 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

What a player is worth to our club isn’t what they are worth in the market

so again in comparisons to others of his age can you point me in the direction of a 29 year old who has went for 17/18million with the same profile as Sammie - I bet you can’t 

The ‘market value’ is bollocks. People go under and over market value all the time. They’ve bought him for next season, not this season, and he’s guaranteed goals in this division. 9 million is actually a complete robbery, had they been another championship club you’d have been livid at that figure.

• Like 2

@Emerald Isle Rover out of interest, no wrong answer here, what price would you put on relegation? What will that cost the club over one season, or the following two, three, four seasons it might take after that to get back promoted? That’s effectively what we have sold. As it stands right now, my money is on that we will get relegated. Szmodics for another year, barring injury, would’ve stopped that.

Edited by MB Rover

2 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

As for ‘prime’, he is in his prime footballing ability right now, end of discussion. 27 fucking league goals for fuck sake!!!! 

Well it’s not end of discussion because here’s the facts

one club wanted him

and he went for the price

The fact that posters on here are unable to understand that him being 29 was a MASSIVE factor in his price is actually frightening but hey always ones who want to argue but not provide anything to go against it

are there players going for ludicrous prices yes there are absolutely but those players are all 6/7 years younger with a higher ceiling that’s the main factor in a lot of fees/deals the potential and resale 

akpom is the most recent player with similar profile to Sammie we went for 12 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

Well it’s not end of discussion because here’s the facts

one club wanted him

and he went for the price

The fact that posters on here are unable to understand that him being 29 was a MASSIVE factor in his price is actually frightening but hey always ones who want to argue but not provide anything to go against it

are there players going for ludicrous prices yes there are absolutely but those players are all 6/7 years younger with a higher ceiling that’s the main factor in a lot of fees/deals the potential and resale 

akpom is the most recent player with similar profile to Sammie we went for 12 

8 years ago a 31 year old Ross McCormack went to villa for £15million. 

Edited by MB Rover
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

@Emerald Isle Rover out of interest, no wrong answer here, what price would you put on relegation? What will that cost the club over one season, or the following two, three, four seasons it might take after that to get back promoted? That’s effectively what we have sold. As it stands right now, my money is on that we will get relegated. Szmodics for another year, barring injury, would’ve stopped that.

You have completely misunderstood what I’m saying or took it the wrong way so to be clear

szmodics value for rovers to me is/was priceless but every player has a price

my argument is not what he’s worth to rovers more to what a player of his profile generally goes for in the market and many pages ago I went through 10/15 players over the years because there’s hasn’t been many at his age that moved from champ to prem and the majority of them went for an average 10-12 mill with the exceptions of those who had played prem or top flight football before

add to that he wanted to go - now nobody knows how he would have reacted if we just simply said no not for sale - we can speculate but we don’t know

your last point who knows it’s very early in the season I do find it strange how after a deeent start you still have us as confirmed relegation team but each to their own

27 goals from szmodics is likely not going to be replicated but if we can get more from the rest or new ones it means we won’t be reliant on one like last year

Dolan - 5

siggy - 5

gallagher - 3

Leonard - 3 

if we can get more goals from ohashi gueye weimann (ohashi already only 1 behind 2 on that list) then the over reliance of one player can be significantly reduced

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

Do you agree that this summer was the best time to sell Szmodics given his age and that he’ll be likely worth less next season?  

How many millions have Rovers lost out on in recent years by not selling players at the right time and seeing them leave for nothing?

For the club to become self sustainable it has to buy low and sell high, and Szmodics is the textbook example of what we should be doing - provided we reinvest in the squad, which is the obvious question mark.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

8 years ago a 31 year old Ross McCormack went to villa for £15million. 

He did indeed and was on my list of players with same age category but what he has/had over szmodics was history 

18 goals in 11/12 

28 goals in 13/14

17 goals in 14/15

21 goals in 15/16 

consistency as previously stated - if Sammie had 2/3/4 seasons of similar stats behind him then absolutely 15 plus but he hasn’t 

his Villa stats the next season - 3 goals 

• Like 2

Darren just salty he didn’t get more money. Very unprofessional talking about another clubs player and trying to get Leeds to join the race. If Ipswich pulled out I honestly believe he would have stayed. Darren wanted the cash and tried to unsettle the player

• Like 3