BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Whilst I would agree it has been an encouraging start to the season. If those plebs above the manager think that is cause to skimp on these next 6 days, then we could sink fast. Especially since we have no significant injuries at all (Leonard and Gilsenan).

Whilst we have 2 wins and an unbeaten start, (ignore the fixture order) if you told me that Rovers got relegated on 7pts and only won 2 games all season, most would pick (L1) Derby and Oxford at Ewood. Hardly cause for delusional optimism. Literally the two most (on paper) winnable games of the season.

Signings, good signings, definitly needed. Dolan, Hedges, Travis, Hyam, Pickering and especially Pears cannot carry us for a season.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

JDT was head coach and he had final say on transfers. 

I think you’re getting the roles mixed up. The manager tells the recruitment team what he wants.  The recruitment team identify talent to present to the manager. The manager then has final say.

Maybe the recruitment team need to present better options? 

Where any of JDTs signings picked out by him/ex players?

Recruitment found players available for the positions wanted and then JDT had the final say on who to pursue, that I can agree with 

What I don't agree with us us seemingly restricting ourselves to signing the head coaches ex players

John eustace will have no idea if their is a better player than Dembele in Japan, China or timbuktu,  but the recruitment side might 

24 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

As @J*B says, in a well ran club we should be spending £15m+. I don't want to see a single loan.

As the Rovers statement says - Venkys are able to fund us.

£40m in, £1m spent? 

6-8 signings needed, this a real chance to get us to the premier league with all the outgoings and money in the bank.

Will it happen? Will it fuck. Look forward to WATR next meeting with Waggott and Pasha asking what the fuck was that Summer transfer window.

Either the statement is a lie or it's a fact and Venkys back us this window. The clock is ticking.

Agreed -  in an ideal world I'd like 7.

Keeper, 2 new full backs, creative midfielder, pacey winger for either side and a quality Szmodics replacement.

We obviously won't get anywhere near that. I think we could get by with three, the keeper, midfielder and the Szmodics replacement if they were all permanent and really good quality.

A couple of good permanent signings and three really good loans in the right positions (not just the usual pick anyone up who's left at the last minute for the sake of it) would probably be a reasonable compromise.

Let's see how we go given Waggott has said quite clearly the owners have reiterated their full backing for the Club and there is no impediment to them providing such.

*cough*

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Where any of JDTs signings picked out by him/ex players?

Recruitment found players available for the positions wanted and then JDT had the final say on who to pursue, that I can agree with 

What I don't agree with us us seemingly restricting ourselves to signing the head coaches ex players

John eustace will have no idea if their is a better player than Dembele in Japan, China or timbuktu,  but the recruitment side might 

It's thanks to relying on a DOF and recruitment team that we ended up with garbage like Ennis, Hirst, Telalovic and Wahlstedt.

It's probably best that the coach has the overall say on incomings imo. He has to work with them ultimately.

(Unsurprisingly Ennis has reportedly failed to impress at Stoke and is being offloaded on loan to Barnsley)

All this talk of the Brentford/Brighton model on this forum but now moaning and think the manager should pick and sanction all deals. The Brighton and Brentford ‘managers’ (first team coaches) have no say on transfers. They don’t have access to the data and insights that the recruitment teams do. We’ve spent all this money on wages for multiple back room recruitment bods and if what unleaded has said is true, who is the only genuine ITKer we have, then it’s pointless. Sack the lot, including Gestede, and let Eustace pick his players like Mowbray did. You can’t have it both ways.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Because he wasn't offered the opportunity to sign Hogan instead?

Eustace said himself he had little to do with the signings of ohashi and gueye 

Hogans a free agent. If Eustace wanted him, and he has final say, he would just have signed him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's thanks to relying on a DOF and recruitment team that we ended up with garbage like Ennis, Hirst, Telalovic and Wahlstedt.

It's probably best that the coach has the overall say on incomings imo. He has to work with them ultimately.

(Unsurprisingly Ennis has reportedly failed to impress at Stoke and is being offloaded on loan to Barnsley)

It’s not the model that’s wrong, it’s the modern way of recruitment. It’s like everything at this club, been run by chancers and nob heads so far.

• Like 1

Just now, MB Rover said:

All this talk of the Brentford/Brighton model on this forum but now moaning and think the manager should pick and sanction all deals. The Brighton and Brentford ‘managers’ (first team coaches) have no say on transfers. They don’t have access to the data and insights that the recruitment teams do. We’ve spent all this money on wages for multiple back room recruitment bods and if what unleaded has said is true, who is the only genuine ITKer we have, then it’s pointless. Sack the lot, including Gestede, and let Eustace pick his players like Mowbray did. You can’t have it both ways.

I think you’ve misunderstood what is being said. 

On 24/08/2024 at 08:05, alexanders said:

This is completely wrong though. Do you think all other clubs that sign someone in the end didn’t have to, they are just doing it for fun? 

Gueye and Ohashi was targets we are able to move in on, the Dutch keeper was to expensive and moved to Marseille. We did move in on Weismann quite swiftly and decided to go back on Batth and Fadz. Many prem loans are always late in the window and to be sure we get the right body’s in (who we believe can fight for a starting spot immediately) there are a lot of puzzle pieces that need to come together. We are probably working behind the scenes with a lot of players, price points, positions etc. 

It’s like buying a car; you like at model, km, edition etc. If another brand or model becomes available you assess that. Read some tests, analyze potential downsides, it takes time to buy something when there is a lot of money involved and  situations can change.

Players who you didn’t expect to be good enough has shown very good performances in pre-season, you decide to give them more time to see if they can be trusted. Others haven’t performed and you might find yourself looking for a target you didn’t expect , Liam Cooper could be one of those. 

What are you on about? There is no reason, why we have to wait, until deadline day, to scramble for loan signings .if we had a half decent scouting department, then there is an entire overseas market to look for players as well. The last day of any transfer window, doesn't have to mean panic PL loan signings, who are just going to be squad fillers, or bench players, who make little impact

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I know you haven't been here (or at least posting) all that long, but Unleaded has consistently, for years now, been the most reliable ITK on this forum. He actually works in the industry. I'm not saying everything he reports will be true, but when he says something like that it can't just be written off as BS.

I’m not saying he isn’t ITK, but can you point me to  something he/she has got  right this summer? 

Also, I’m not arguing there isn’t some disagreement between manager and recruitment on who it’s best to sign, I just find the insinuation that Eustace just wants to sign his ex players regardless of whether they are any good a complete load of bollocks.

The forums favourite ITK is comparing the Dembele/ Ruddy situation to the Pears/Mowbray situation, and we all know the background to that. I don’t think it’s fair or appropriate to undermine the managers integrity like that, and @unleaded has not responded to that point when I made it earlier. 

9 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Hogans a free agent. If Eustace wanted him, and he has final say, he would just have signed him. 

I am going off what unleaded said...he was over ruled on Gueye and Ohashi...Eustace admitted he had little to do with those signings.

I never said Eustace wanted Hogan as you well know I said hypothetically if he had the choice of Hogan or Ohashi I'd expect him to pick the player he knows 

If this Yeboah is a genuine target by recruitment and Eustace had a choice between him and Dembele again I'd expect Eustace to plump for Dembele due to working with him before.That does not mean Dembele would be the better signing 

13 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

So again, the manager has no say on who the recruitment team brings in, but when the team doesn't perform, he is the one to be sacked? Absolute bs if a manager has no say on who signs, but has to take the fall for it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

But eustace admitted he had little to do with Ohashi and Gueye?Would you not say they have been good signings so far?

Imo recruitment should be presenting a list of players for the head coach to look at and then he makes a decision

The thing that is making me most uncomfortable is that every target that has been mentioned as a player Eustace is keen on are all ex players of his

Ruddy and Dembele wouldn't be good signings imo

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Also, I’m not arguing there isn’t some disagreement between manager and recruitment on who it’s best to sign, I just find the insinuation that Eustace just wants to sign his ex players regardless of whether they are any good a complete load of bollocks. 

I think the issue is that the players in question are goalkeeper clearly well past their best and an ineffective winger with questionable work ethic/focus.

I would argue that had Eustace not worked with the previously they wouldn't be targets, as neither of them seem overly inspiring (to put it mildly) options.

9 minutes ago, London blue said:

I think the issue is that the players in question are goalkeeper clearly well past their best and an ineffective winger with questionable work ethic/focus.

I would argue that had Eustace not worked with the previously they wouldn't be targets, as neither of them seem overly inspiring (to put it mildly) options.

I agree regarding Ruddy. Mowbray supposedly wanted to sign Dembele as a replacement when the Rothwell to Bournemouth deal was first mooted. So I could see him still being a subject of interest.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, unleaded said:

Ryo Germain lines up for Júbilo Iwata today !! Recruitment team still getting blocked by Eustace for sealing the cheap deal … He won’t sanction it … Hopefully they go over his head like they did with others … Eustace still holding out for Ruddy ….Turks in for Dembele … Eustace has a greed for power …

Standing his ground is fair enough, but over Ruddy!? Ffs!

Hope they get German sorted. Shouldn’t Waggott put his foot down? Must prefer a financially sound deal over a more expensive one. 

Hoping for a ‘marquee’ signing the coming week. 

23 minutes ago, Iceman said:

So again, the manager has no say on who the recruitment team brings in, but when the team doesn't perform, he is the one to be sacked? Absolute bs if a manager has no say on who signs, but has to take the fall for it

They know what they’re signing up for